Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 13:13   #721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Is it me or does the car look lowered? IF yes, then atleast someone in india understands the meaning of a sports version. Although MSIL was resposible for Swift RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Also the side skirts are making it lower further. Overall I love it as compared to the stock one.

You are right!
Yes the car looks much nicer now. Wonder how much premium the so called sports version would cost over the regular ciaz.

Its the side skirting that makes the car appear lower than it is.
In the Indian market Sports version means -
Skirting
Spoiler
&
Maybe a little back here and here.

There you go sports edition!

Last edited by Captain Slow : 5th February 2015 at 13:15.
Old 5th February 2015, 16:12   #722
BHPian

And 6 months after buying the body kit, its cracked and chipped all over because of our roads - I remember purchasing the same type of OEM kit for the Chevrolet Optra in it's hay days. What a disaster!

I guess the real question is - how much ground clearance after installation?

Anything less than 160mm in India is suicide!

Has anyone replaced their 195/55 R16 OEM tyres? I plan on replacing them with 205/55/R 16 Michelin Primacy LC to further improve ride quality and reduce rolling resistance. Michelin doesn't make a 195 R 16 tyre.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th February 2015 at 21:07. Reason: back to back posts merged, thanks
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 18:51   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Has anyone replaced their 195/55 R16 OEM tyres? I plan on replacing them with 205/55/R 16 Michelin Primacy LC to further improve ride quality and reduce rolling resistance. Michelin doesn't make a 195 R 16 tyre.

Any thoughts?
I was thinking about the same thing, pardon my ignorance here - will I need to change the alloys to do this ? What is the max width tyre I can install sensibly ?

thanks.
Old 5th February 2015, 20:33   #724
BHPian

Looks like Maruti is sensing the forthcoming heat from the Verna launch and might include this Sports version to counter its buyers canceling their booking and flocking to the new Verna. Honestly the car is very good value for money but then that Suzuki Logo at the front might end up putting some potential buyer.
I will not be surprised if Honda also decides to launch some special edition City... But going by the current demand seems highly improbable.
Old 5th February 2015, 23:45   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
Have to check in detail although I am aware they are using the Nokia Map. The SD card holder on top of the player I presume has the maps loaded in it cause I tried to remove it and it had given some error on the map thing. Let me read it well next time. Update is a good question. Have to read through and will post here if I find something.
I think a better preposition would have been to load the maps on internal memory so that the SD card is available for music/video. If you are sure it has Nokia maps then is it running Symbian OS??.

I still feel the maps from MMI are the best for standalone system Although nothing can beat Google Maps, but the downside is it eats into your data pack. Moreover the hassles of integrating your data pack to inbuilt navigation may have outweighed the reasons to go for existing system in the Ciaz.

I don't want to question Maruti's decision but the cities are changing at such a fast pace that although map updates are being churned out at least twice in a year it still leads to problems in navigation on ground. I think the user should be given the option of updating the Maps as you have already paid for the license.
Any comments??
Old 6th February 2015, 08:31   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
If you are sure it has Nokia maps then is it running Symbian OS??.
Nokia owns Navteq (wiki) . It is one of the largest map company in the world.

Garmin also uses the same map data. It is updated every three months.
Old 6th February 2015, 08:41   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
I was thinking about the same thing, pardon my ignorance here - will I need to change the alloys to do this ? What is the max width tyre I can install sensibly ?

thanks.
Please check out page 41 of this thread. I have replaced the original 15 inch alloys with 16 inch and 205/55 R16 tyres. I do not see any negative effects till now. If you have the stock 16 inch rims, there should be no issue in swapping out the 195/55 tyres to 205/55. You will gain a few mm of GC too. If you have the stock 15 inch alloys, then also you can go upto 205/60 R15 though that might be the max the rim can support as the rim has 5.5 inch width.

Last edited by alphahere : 6th February 2015 at 08:45.
alphahere is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 10:31   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think a better preposition would have been to load the maps on internal memory so that the SD card is available for music/video. If you are sure it has Nokia maps then is it running Symbian OS??.
For most AVN systems that are Navigation enabled, the navigation component is a separate one and not actually related to the system at all. The manufacturer decides which maps to bundle and provides the same. At max you get 2 free updates. Most major maps come in the form of a SD/micro SD card. So typically you should be able to switch to a Navigation software of your choice. For example I have MMI in my Blaupunkt System, but I can switch to Garmin or Tom Tom maps if I want. Key factor here is the OS that the AVN system is based on.

I pulled out the manual for the Ciaz system from their website (link below)

http://www.suzuki-slda.com/Lists/Use...DA%20India.pdf

From this couple of interesting findings
  • The system uses an open-source software (no details on what kind)- So I assume that only maps created specifically for this OS will work. But if Nokia Maps work, it would be interesting to know if I can put in maps of my choice.
  • The system I have has a micro-SD slot for the map sd card and also system software updates and a regular SD car slot for music/video etc. This system has one slot. So if you have some music video on a SD card, you need to remove the Map SD card and put this in. Not a big deal since you can ensure you have your content in USB.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th February 2015 at 21:08. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 17:22   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
Please check out page 41 of this thread. I have replaced the original 15 inch alloys with 16 inch and 205/55 R16 tyres. I do not see any negative effects till now. If you have the stock 16 inch rims, there should be no issue in swapping out the 195/55 tyres to 205/55. You will gain a few mm of GC too. If you have the stock 15 inch alloys, then also you can go upto 205/60 R15 though that might be the max the rim can support as the rim has 5.5 inch width.
Thanks for this! I have the OEM 16 inchers.

I believe the rolling resistance associated with the width increase of 1.6% from 205/55 R 16 rubber will be offset by the Michelin Primacy LC's lower rolling resistance properties, a hallmark of the tyre. I believe I will net a marginal increase in Fuel efficiency.

The increase in GC can only help on our roads.

Does anyone know how Maruti was able to extract better Fuel Efficiency gains from this engine?

The car's weight is similar to a Swift but with improved aerodynamics. I don't believe Indian driving conditions benefit significantly from aero improvements because our driving speeds are low.

So what gives? How did they get a 20% increase in ARAI rated F.E from an engine that isn't even theirs?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th February 2015 at 17:53. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit option if posting within 30mins on same thread.
Old 6th February 2015, 19:18   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
For most AVN systems that are Navigation enabled, the navigation component is a separate one and not actually related to the system at all. The manufacturer decides which maps to bundle and provides the same. At max you get 2 free updates. Most major maps come in the form of a SD/micro SD card. So typically you should be able to switch to a Navigation software of your choice. For example I have MMI in my Blaupunkt System, but I can switch to Garmin or Tom Tom maps if I want. Key factor here is the OS that the AVN system is based on.
As far as I know there are numerous navigation softwares available on open source which run maps developed by third parties.

Case in point is MMI it has digitized the maps of whole of India and claims street level maps of 800 cities & the count is still growing. Only the maps are from MMI the software used to read/translate these maps onto your navig device is from another company called Sygic.

So if you have licensed maps from MMI it may run on any software supporting the map format. I have personally run same MMI maps on all versions of Sygic (winCE, Android) and another software called Cardinal (winCE). So with all probability your maps may work on Tomtom or Garmin.. There are numerous forums which can guide you. Good Luck.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th February 2015 at 21:08. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 19:30   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Does anyone know how Maruti was able to extract better Fuel Efficiency gains from this engine?

The car's weight is similar to a Swift but with improved aerodynamics. I don't believe Indian driving conditions benefit significantly from aero improvements because our driving speeds are low.

So what gives? How did they get a 20% increase in ARAI rated F.E from an engine that isn't even theirs?
This has got to do with gearing is my best guess. Ciaz diesel does 100 kph at approx <2200 rpm whereas the swift does the same at approx >2300 rpm. This coupled with the VGT and better aerodynamics could be the reason for better fuel efficiency rating. Anyways the new swift comes with a rating of 25.2kpl which is not too far off from the Ciaz. Maybe this gearing ratio has been carried over there as well with a little bit of tuning optimization on the engine side. Never got a chance to try out the new swift.
On a side note my i20 CRDi which does 100kph at 1950 rpm gives me only a max of 20kpl however good the conditions are! lol

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th February 2015 at 21:09. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th February 2015, 20:13   #732
BHPian

Quote:
I still feel the maps from MMI are the best for standalone system
I have not used the default navigation system in Ciaz yet, it's been normal city drive till now. I can't comment much on the quality of the Map but I have been using MMI for quite sometime and you are right, it works like a charm. I would love to see a way out to integrate MMI into the system in the near future if I am not satisfied with the existing one.
Old 6th February 2015, 21:11   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Ciaz sports Version coming , with start-stop.

Ciaz will get the start and stop to enhance its current ARAI mileage, which is at 26.21km/l in its diesel variant.

The interior styling will also be trendy and maybe it will get black upholstery if the idea is to target the youth with this sedan.

Apart from the spoiler and side skirts this version of Ciaz will also get bigger set of tyres and different alloy wheels too are a part of this package.

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-maruti20suzuki20_ciaz20rs0.jpg

http://motoroctane.com/news/8781-mar...end-start-stop
Old 6th February 2015, 21:16   #734
BHPian

I had been using the michelin primacy hp 225/55 R16 on my chevy cruze. i have to say these were excellent in terms of grip. Always provided confidence when taking corners hard but michelin is not really made for india. I had so many cuts and punctures on them and they did not last more then 30k kms.
Old 6th February 2015, 23:29   #735
BHPian

Can one of the owners help me with this? Does Ciaz have seatbelt reminder chime for the driver seat? I remember the TD vehicle dinging when I did not wear the seatbelt. But this feature is absent in my ZDi. There is only a warning light in the meter console. I am unable to remember if I heard this dinging on a TD ZXi or ZDi. Would be great if ZXi and ZDi owners chip in with their answers. Would be strange if there is a feature difference between similar petrol and diesel variants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks