Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 10:05   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I seriously hope Maruti retain the 1.3 in Ciaz at a lesser price point even if they introduce a 1.5 later for this model.
Speculations are Maruti is fast tracking the 1.4 Petrol engine with turbo and will debut in its cars next year.

http://www.carsinnews.com/2015/02/su...bo-engine.html
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 11:14   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Speculations are Maruti is fast tracking the 1.4 Petrol engine with turbo and will debut in its cars next year.

http://www.carsinnews.com/2015/02/su...bo-engine.html
The numbers quoted are exciting. But something tells me, once the engine arrives, we will be longing for a car with better dynamics to suit the engine

Linea with the T-Jet managed to achieve that. Wonder how it will fair in a Maruti. It might be detuned to some extent to get more mileage.

Should return respectable power figures though. Let's hope it arrives soon.
Old 27th February 2015, 12:14   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I took a back-to-back test drives of Vento, Etios and Ciaz.

Ciaz is an awesome package with ZXI+ costing 10.8 lakh on road in Mumbai. I also got a pretty good deal for Alto.

However, engine was a big letdown. It is just 100/200 cc less than competition but has very poor third gear. Most probably it has been tuned for fuel efficiency.
I have done back to back TDs of City, Verna and Ciaz. For my 90% of driving within bangalore city, good low end response is important for me. Call me a noob, but I was evaluating this with a simple method of slowing down to almost zero speed in 2nd gear and then immediately flooring the accelerator to see its response. I was doing it till it reaches speed of nearly 90kmph (max which can be achieved even in relatively empty roads) with shifting to 3rd gear during the process. I seriously couldn't find much difference between these 3 cars petrol variants while doing this. Though I must admit, Verna diesel was the best among the lot (comparing City, Ciaz and Verna diesels) which was giving awesome pulling above 2000 rpm mark.

So for a petrol sedan, I was expecting Honda City to blow me away with its coveted I-Vtec engine and Ciaz to give a very laggy response. I was very much surprised when I didnt get the expected thrills from Honda City and an equal response from Ciaz. With this I decided to go for Ciaz as I may see some lag compared to City at higher speeds on highways which I will not be needing for 90% of my use.
Old 27th February 2015, 13:01   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
I was evaluating this with a simple method of slowing down to almost zero speed in 2nd gear and then immediately flooring the accelerator to see its response. I was doing it till it reaches speed of nearly 90kmph
My criteria is nearly similar. Mostly city driving at 20 - 50 kmph and occasional expressway (100 -110 kmph).

I too felt that first and second gears are fine, its the third that is a laggard. That creates some problems for traffic like Bangalore/Mumbai. In other cars one does not have to downshift as much in bumper to bumper traffic.

Ciaz does not pick up from 20 - 25 kmph in 3rd gear as eagerly as others do. It also does not like to be driven around in 20 kmph in 3rd.

In team-bhp review of other cars in petrol, following common trend is observed:

Quote:
Get moving and you’ll be left pleasantly surprised at the driveability on tap. Torque delivery from low rpms is phenomenal, easily the best in class. The 2nd gear can effortlessly pull the car from crawling speeds, as can the 3rd from as low as 20 kph. Depending on the traffic density, you could use either the 2nd or 3rd ratios like an automatic within the city.
Would be interesting to see this part of team-bhp review of Ciaz petrol.
Old 27th February 2015, 16:33   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Would be interesting to see this part of team-bhp review of Ciaz petrol.
I drive a petrol and its true that I have not struggled with the traffic and torque yet. I can pull from 20 in third gear all the way till 60 without any issues.

I move from the 1-2k RPM to the 2-3k RPM band occasionally since the engine is still settling down and the pick up is quite decent. It does not make you feel additional G forces but it cruises to 80 without any qualms.
Old 1st March 2015, 09:03   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
I drive a petrol and its true that I have not struggled with the traffic and torque yet. I can pull from 20 in third gear all the way till 60 without any issues.
I second that opinion. Second gear is very powerful and third gear as well pulls very cleanly from 20kmph without any lag. Though I felt diesel has considerable lag till 2000 rpm.
Old 2nd March 2015, 16:50   #802
BHPian

Even the best Turbo diesels out there have lag till around 1800 rpm.

Reason: Turbo chargers require pressure from the exhaust gasses to build up before boost can be applied. This phenomenon is exaggerated in modern, smaller capacity engines where cubic capacity is reduced to make way for efficiency gains, increasing the power plants reliance on Boost. (The DDiS engine is superbly tuned to minimize this substantially - if you really want to experience lag in a modern TDi engine, try VW's older 1.2L TDi that used to power the Polo).
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:24   #803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

Agree. Have written to Maruti on this.
Hi!

Has this issue been sorted? Or any of us BHP-ians who know the status may comment...
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:51   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Has this issue been sorted? Or any of us BHP-ians who know the status may comment...

Yes. This issue wrt to the light staying on for a long time is resolved. It was the oil pump.

But MUL isn't replying to my emails. Sent them a reminder again last week.
Old 2nd March 2015, 19:22   #805
Senior - BHPian

Monthly shipments of Ciaz dropped from 6000 to 5400. Seems to be a temporary blip. Shipments for next couple of months should help in establishing a baseline performance.

Shipments for 2015 :

Jan - 6000
Feb - 5400
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:46   #806
Distinguished - BHPian

I think anything between 4500-6000 is a good number for the Ciaz when you have the Honda City pitching successfully against it.

With a mediocre 1.4 K14 on Petrol and 1.3 DDiS on the Diesel, there are a lot of folks who want more out of a sedan along with all bells and whistles.
Old 6th March 2015, 10:40   #807
BHPian

Satisfied 7000km on the car. Family loves the comfort and space. I love the drive quality and my value for money decision over other cars. Only problem is the unresolved sound from the co-passenger side on heavy bumps. Don't feel like leaving the car at the service center for 2 days for them to research (multiple dirty hand fiddling) as all they do is dirty it completely and give. Have to find a solution soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-20150301_105326.jpg  

Old 6th March 2015, 12:51   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Satisfied 7000km on the car. Family loves the comfort and space. I love the drive quality and my value for money decision over other cars. Only problem is the unresolved sound from the co-passenger side on heavy bumps. Have to find a solution soon.
Is it not an indication of the some mild issue with Shock Absorber Mounts? May be they need to be tightened a bit or so?
Old 7th March 2015, 16:00   #809

nice rims visaster! I also have a ciaz zdi (o) for city use and I wanted to know, have you taken the car on the highway? and if yes how would you rate its performance cse I mostly take my trusted brutus aka the fortuner auto for cross country trips but am keen to try the ciaz on a trip as well.
Old 9th March 2015, 10:27   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipal0006 View Post
nice rims visaster! I also have a ciaz zdi (o) for city use and I wanted to know, have you taken the car on the highway? and if yes how would you rate its performance cse I mostly take my trusted brutus aka the fortuner auto for cross country trips but am keen to try the ciaz on a trip as well.
The car is amazing on the highway, I have done about 6000km on the highway and have come back satisfied every single trip. the whole family enjoyed it too. It drives smooth, no question on lack of power ever. Happily cruise at 90-110km/hr all day giving you fuel efficiency of 20km/L. Road stability and braking very dependable.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks