Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 17:19   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Renault Duster AWD : Official Review

Guys, when you are experimenting, please note that 4Lock is not to be used on hard/solid surfaces. It is meant to be used only on slippery surfaces otherwise your 4WD System will get damaged.
Old 8th December 2015, 11:36   #467
BHPian

I came to Bangalore for a short trip from Chennai. I find that the duster takes an extra second of cranking to start, which usually starts instantaneously.

This is probably because of the cold weather but is this normal?
Old 8th December 2015, 12:30   #468
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrocious View Post
I came to Bangalore for a short trip from Chennai. I find that the duster takes an extra second of cranking to start, which usually starts instantaneously.

I've faced this a few times and haven't been able to see a pattern (weather, long parking etc.)
Old 8th December 2015, 15:00   #469
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I've faced this a few times and haven't been able to see a pattern (weather, long parking etc.)
Same here. Taking additional second to start since last week. Looks like its the cold weather.
Old 17th December 2015, 11:34   #470
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What mode should I be on to verify this? AUTO?
I guess Duster owners are spending much of their time in their cars rather than on the forum. Please share if you heard the grinding noise from the transmission as I did.

Last edited by Tgo : 17th December 2015 at 11:36.
Old 20th December 2015, 12:15   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
I guess Duster owners are spending much of their time in their cars rather than on the forum. Please share if you heard the grinding noise from the transmission as I did.
Just done with 20k service and car feels great except for a new issue that has cropped up. But i have decided not to worry on that transmission noise heard at very low RPM`s. It`s too subtle and i think its a design with every duster AWD. Also, we are not suppose to engage 5th or 6th gear at that speed just to hear it and get too concerned about it. That`s just my feelings on this issue.

Coming to my new issue - I just quoted artrocious on his post as i`m having that exact problem right after my 20k service - Here is the link to his post
Old 21st December 2015, 15:13   #472
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirwadi View Post
Just done with 20k service and car feels great except for a new issue that has cropped up. But i have decided not to worry on that transmission noise heard at very low RPM`s. It`s too subtle and i think its a design with every duster AWD. Also, we are not suppose to engage 5th or 6th gear at that speed just to hear it and get too concerned about it. That`s just my feelings on this issue.
Same as my view on the issue. To be honest I didn't experiment with it at all. Just noticed that the noise doesn't crop up unless you really go down to 50 and start accelerating and cross the 60-70 kmph band, but in that case one should not even be in 6th gear.

I did a heavy duty trip from Dholpur to Jaipur yesterday. The vehicle had 3 occupants including me as the driver. 3 medium sized strollies, 3 large duffle bags, 3 sacs of wheat, a bunch of other desi stuff, which resulted in the rear seat and the parcel tray fully occupied. I could see the rear end sagging just a wee bit but the vehicle behaved very predictably. Had to raise the tyre pressure to 31 psi as I was being cautious of the tyre side walls. Rough roads or good ones, I enjoyed the drive. Got and overall FE of 15.5 kmpl (MID).

The car really begs to be driven.

Quote:
Coming to my new issue - I just quoted artrocious on his post as i`m having that exact problem right after my 20k service - Here is the link to his post
These whines, and wooshes, seem to be transmission noises, I'll look out for them on my vehicle in order to comment.
Old 31st December 2015, 01:17   #473
BHPian

Got my Duster back from Service center last week, overall 56K bill with Labour, 3 weeks delay in delivering the vehicle was because of chennai floods. Everything is back to normal now, taking extra care in driving, but you can only do so much when you are driving inside Bangalore City, and touching the 2 most traffic dense place in the city (Marathahalli and Silkboard). will post the pics of the supposedly burnt flywheel shortly.

As for the Whining noise, I observed it in my first long drive to Tirupati when the car was just 250 KMS old, Got a very bad head ache because of it (till previous day was driving Manza (wonder car from Tata)) but got used to it.
Same with the Grinding noise as well. I had my friendly private garage guy take a look at wear & tear in transmission area for this noise, he said there is no sign of any friction, so i am not sure why there is a noise.

I Know some of us have this question, but couldn't find a post related to this in our Forum, Can we retrofit AMT into our beloved AWD Duster?

Thanks
Krishna

Last edited by v6kgang : 31st December 2015 at 01:20.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:38   #474
BHPian

Happy New Year Fellow!!!

As of 2nd Jan 2016, I became proud owner of Amazon Green Duster AWD.
Had booked it in Nov Last week. After various delays, finally took her home on late evening on 2nd Jan.

Got Deal of Insurance free + reverse Camera

I opted for special number & got it done from my contact at RTO at the official fees, hence saved around 5k INR I opted for number same as my Honda City.

There were few issues on Delivery day, hence demanded compensation from dealer for mess up. They agreed to do Underbody coating for free. I agree to one of the statements made in one of the previous posts - They mess up, however they co-operate at the same time. Love it or hate it

Few points I observed which I have been reading

1. Speed Sensing lock - Dealer activated by keeping the lock button on dashboard for long. It was not active during delivery. It now works like charm. It is time sensing rather than speed. Once vehicle starts moving, post 7 Sec, it triggers and locks doors.

2. Driver side Arm Rest - The Test Drive vehicle did not have it. Mine came with Driver side arm rest. Have you all got that?

3. 6th Gear issue - haven't observed that, as I engage it at speed of 70 KMPH and above. If you ask me, I wouldn't engage it before that.

4. So far drove for 300 KM. No issue observed what so ever.

5. Have not been following practice of 2nd Gear start. I do it old school way in 1st and then engage 2nd little after couple of seconds - kind of customery process.

6. Hill Start & Hill Hold - Tried both, boon in traffic when on incline facing north.

Upgrades Planned - Geolander AT in same stock size & Osram Night breaker if I get original
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-duster_awd_front.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-duster_awd_rear.jpg  

Firebird is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 22:53   #475
BHPian

Congratulations!
Can you add some pictures of the interior, especially the arm rest? Just wondering if this could be fixed in the older model
Old 7th January 2016, 11:55   #476
BANNED

Surprised to note that your AWD came with Driver Side Armrest whereas I saw brand new AWD in Bangalore showroom which was being readied for delivery without any such thing.

Please post interior pictures specially of ArmRest.
Old 7th January 2016, 19:19   #477
BHPian

hi Fellow, here are pictures of driver side Arm Rest
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-arm_rest_1.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-arm_rest_2.jpg  

Renault Duster AWD : Official Review-arm_resr_3.jpg  

Old 7th January 2016, 19:55   #478
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Upgrades Planned - Geolander AT in same stock size & Osram Night breaker if I get original
Unless you plan to do lot of bad roads or off the road, won't recommend geo lander. This car is capable of high speeds and geolander braking and handling will be so so in comparison to stock tyres.

Bulbs you can try Philips Extreme Vision 130+ works well.
Old 7th January 2016, 21:33   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Unless you plan to do lot of bad roads or off the road, won't recommend geo lander. This car is capable of high speeds and geolander braking and handling will be so so in comparison to stock tyres.

Bulbs you can try Philips Extreme Vision 130+ works well.

Thanks sir. You just saved me good Moolah 😊

About Philips EV 130, does that require relay? If that's required then would you recommend getting it done during first service check.
Old 7th January 2016, 21:47   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
hi Fellow, here are pictures of driver side Arm Rest
Many congratulations Firebird. Amazon Green is such a cool colour.
The armrest looks well fitted with the same upholstery.
Happy driving!

Most Viewed