Old 30th July 2015, 19:33   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
You can drop an email to the ids shown in the image below and see if it helps:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Their Production Schedules are fixed. They will not budge from those schedule even if it means changing to a different bolt.
So once you place an order, expect it to be made in the next production schedule.
Hence the delivery delay. If they have an extra 8 str config being made in this production schedule, you can ask the Sales manager to check with the plant PPC manager.
Check this out...

I did email Sandeep but there was no reply for over 24 hours. I then tried a different tack. I called their customer service number and asked them if the 8 STR was a supported option.

They said "yes". At which point - I passed on the coordinates of the dealer contact, and the Area sales officer - and specifically told them that they were discouraging me to go for 8 str - as it was not ARAI certified , and not in their ordering system, 3-4 months delay etc.

I got a call back today (2 days later), from the Brand manager of Scorpio. He was deeply apologetic for the confusion.

Yes, it was a rare variant. Yes since this Jan they have not sold a single 8 str S10 4WD.

He apologised for the fact that the ordering system could not cater to this variant.

He said with some degree of finality - that based on his discussions with product design team - this variant should not have any problems in getting made, and the existing ARAI certifications would be valid.

But, he asked for some extra time, to come back to me.

I told him of the wonderful relationship our forum has with the likes of BD sir and others - and the fact that the forum itself is a mirror of auto enthusiast and expert opinions.

That seemed to ring a bell for him, I guess the meeting ended in a positive note. I remain hopeful of a positive outcome.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 16:42   #377
BHPian

Sorry I just posted this on another thread 'conversion from 7 str to 8 str) also. Moderators please move as required. I just came across as this reply and wanted to post here as well.

I just had a detailed conversation with Koncept at Noida, and they said that though an 8 str is offered on order with a waiting period they need to confirm, but the striking thing was that they said that 8 str requires a fitment certificate every year from the local RTO. Can anyone throw some light on this.

I am preparing to shift from my Yeti to scorpio again after having 4 wonderful years with the Yeti which is now in a service centre and I believe the service centre intends keeping it (reasons are part of a different thread)- incidentally I had shifted from my 2005 scorpio to the Yeti- the 2005 scorpio was an 8 str and I never had to get any fitment certificate in all the years it was with me.
Old 2nd August 2015, 10:19   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcroadster View Post
What an amazing news!! I was there at the mahindra dealership yesterday and all i could think of was that an s4 4wd with abs and airbags would hit such a sweet spot for buyers like me.
Secondly i wanted to ask the members if it would be possible to add on the s10 touchscreen system to the s4 as an accessory?? The sales rep was sure it is availble but i highly doybt it.
Further could the s10 headlamps with cornering feature also be shifted i dont even see the point of an s10!
Mcroadster, Interesting thought. So finally did you arrive the additional cost for these goodies (necessities) ?
Old 2nd August 2015, 20:33   #379
BHPian

Fellow bhpians, I need your help in selecting my new car. I have been contemplating buying a new gen Scorpio S10 2wd.

Just to give you a background: I am your average IT Joe who slogs like a donkey over the weekdays. Currently I own an Alto which has been with me for the last nine years and has just crossed the 10lac km mark. During these years of ownership it has never given me any troubles. Have been on numerous long drives (200, 500, 1000kms etc one way). Lately I feel that for the same stretches I had done earlier it has become a lot more tiresome at the end. Maybe age is catching up on me. I think it is best for city. It's a pocket rocket. I just love the way it handles the corners I throw it into at pretty good speeds like a go cart, as well as the fact that it can be squeezed into the narrowest of places when needed.

I am planning to buy a new car which can take my family of 7 including a 2yr old kid and my in-laws on long road trips to explore our beautiful country. Me and my wife just love the looks of the Scorpio (both in the present and previous avatars). I am a little sceptical of the comfort it offers going through all the reviews.

I have test driven the S10 2wd and found it to be a good mix of style, comfort and features for the price. The one thing I just hated are the flimsy inner door handles being provided in a 14lac+ vehicle.
I really did not understand how to test it for the ride and handling aspects. There are not many potholed roads in my area. Also I really could not get the feedback from the 2nd and 3rd row passengers.

Could you please comment on the following:
(*Please keep in mind that I come from monocoque hatchback background and am not used to driving and maintaining such huge beasts err beauties )

1) How is the ride comfort for long distance trips?

2) What are the service charges one can expect i.e. once the free ones are done with?

3) Am I being stupid considering the Scorpio over something like an Ertiga or the Lodgy like my friends opine? their point is why to go for such an expensive vehicle(~14.5 lac OTR) considering you get everything if not more in a much more cheaper Ertiga(~10.5lac OTR)

4) How bad is the body roll over ghat roads? would the passengers start complaining if one were to maintain good speeds?

5) How does it perform on broken/poorly surfaced roads?

6) Once while doing a td on the previous gen Scorp I tried testing the brakes and the nose dive i encountered was like I have bungee jumped off the 2nd floor of an apartment building and am at the verge of giving a high five to the watchman sitting in the basement. the TD vehicle was 85k kms old though. How does the new gen scorp behave under panic braking?

7) And lastly, how is it living with it in the long run?

I really need your valuable inputs.

*Mods: Request you to move this post to the right thread if this is not the appropriate one. I was kind of confused as to where to post it

Last edited by Shashidl : 2nd August 2015 at 20:40.
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:03   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashidl View Post
Fellow bhpians, I need your help in selecting my new car. I have been contemplating buying a new gen Scorpio S10 2wd.

Just to give you a background: I am your average IT Joe who slogs like a donkey over the weekdays. Currently I own an Alto which has been with me for the last nine years and has just crossed the 10lac km mark.
Did you mean 1 lac km? 10 lac km should definitely be a typo.
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:17   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Did you mean 1 lac km? 10 lac km should definitely be a typo.
I stand corrected. Yes it is indeed a typo
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:51   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really need your valuable inputs.
If you are going to make frequent use of the 7 seats, then I agree with your friends when they say you should consider other options like Lodgy, Ertiga etc. Btw, the Xylo is also a good option, IMO.

If your heart is set on the Scorpio, then you will have to choose a variant which has a bench as the 3rd row of seats instead of side facing jump seats. There's no way anyone can feel comfortable (forget safe) in the latter, irrespective of the distance being traveled.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:21   #383
BANNED

Quote:

It is very good. In fact, the cruising ability of the MHawk engine along with the current suspension set up makes the Scorpio a much more capable cruiser now.

Quote:
2) What are the service charges one can expect i.e. once the free ones are done with?
You can expect your average service bill to be around INR 5k per service if you get the wheel alignment and balancing done outside.

Quote:
3) Am I being stupid considering the Scorpio over something like an Ertiga or the Lodgy like my friends opine? their point is why to go for such an expensive vehicle(~14.5 lac OTR) considering you get everything if not more in a much more cheaper Ertiga(~10.5lac OTR)
The Scorpio is a vehicle with a lot of character unlike most MPVs, which, to me, are just commuting tools. So, it depends on what you like. As a tool, an MPV is better and cheaper but as something which you connect to, it is the Scorpio which you will like.
Remember that bollywood line "Degree Vs Pedigree"? That is what it is.

Quote:
4) How bad is the body roll over ghat roads? would the passengers start complaining if one were to maintain good speeds?
This is a high vehicle and compared to sedan/hatch, it will have body roll. However, it is something you will get used to, once you begin driving it. Look at all those old Scorpios doing taxi duty in Ladakh.

Quote:
The ride quality is now at least 2x better than the old one and it is very stable as well.

Quote:
6) Once while doing a td on the previous gen Scorp I tried testing the brakes and the nose dive i encountered was like I have bungee jumped off the 2nd floor of an apartment building and am at the verge of giving a high five to the watchman sitting in the basement. the TD vehicle was 85k kms old though. How does the new gen scorp behave under panic braking?
The new Scorpio is extremely well behaved in the braking, handling and suspension departments. Take a detailed test drive once again and you will know.

Quote:
I have lived with one for 7 years and it is very easy. Spares are available, nothing serious breaks down, and the more you use it, the more you begin to understand the vehicle.

Look at the repeat buyers of the Scorpio and you will understand.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 16:24   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Manu, please can you comment on the seating in a 2+2+3 fashion as you have shown in the images. is it able to accomodate either 2 kids and 1 adult in last seat or atleast 2 adults?
GeekSrik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 13:30   #385
BHPian

Hi, I drove my scorpio 2005 model for about 3 lac km before selling it last year, and after having driven several cars in between to decide which would be my next SUV, I am still about to zero down on a Scorpio again!

If you can manage the 3rd bench seat (i.e., the 8 seater), there is no lack of space. We could have 11 adults (10/11 used to be the routine for our office weekend getaways to the hills or the often cricket outings) and yes, the boys at the back used to squirm and complain, but fitted in nevertheless.
rajivrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 13:59   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Manu, please can you comment on the seating in a 2+2+3 fashion as you have shown in the images. is it able to accomodate either 2 kids and 1 adult in last seat or atleast 2 adults?
I have a s10 (2+2+3) captain seats version.

The last row could easily accommodate 2 adults. Even 2 kids and one adult could easily fit into it for long drives.

For short runs within the city, even 3 adults do sat in the 3rd row without complaining.

On the top of all this, the captain seats version looks the most premium one to me.

Rest it varies from person to person.
FidoDido is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 17:39   #387
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Currently I own an Alto which has been with me for the last nine years and During these years of ownership it has never given me any troubles. Have been on numerous long drives (200, 500, 1000kms etc one way). Lately I feel that for the same stretches I had done earlier it has become a lot more tiresome at the end. I am planning to buy a new car which can take my family of 7 including a 2yr old kid and my in-laws on long road trips to explore our beautiful country. Me and my wife just love the looks of the Scorpio (both in the present and previous avatars). I am a little sceptical of the comfort it offers going through all the reviews.

Could you please comment on the following:
(*Please keep in mind that I come from monocoque hatchback background and am not used to driving and maintaining such huge beasts err beauties )

The Scoprio will perform much better than the Ertiga over rough roads. The Lodgy would be good but the Scorpio would be better.

The key difference is likely to be in the ownership of a Maruti vs a M&M. The Ertiga is likely to be totally without any issues in it's lifetime vs the Scorpio which will most likely have some issues from time to time. For many this is quite acceptable but it may note be as event less as a maruti ownership.

The New Scorpio is a vehicle with a lot of character and many things about it may make you fall in the love with it. The driving experience will be totally different from that of the Ertiga. Here the Auto guys will move out of your way and you would have superb visibility. Also the Scoprio S10 will imply features that you may not have used prior to this vehicle and you are likely to love the vehicle for those features and yet there will be times when these same feature will malfunction and you will then hate the same vehicle.

So it is to some extent about how much of character you wish to introduce into you life. You will seat like a king in the Scorpio and oversee the world and not so much in the Ertiga or the Lodgy.

The Scorpio is likely to be as reliable in general but is also likely to have minor niggles and squeaks. These irritate you too much then rethink.

Whichever vehicle you select to make it a point to keep you kid's in the second row only and preferably in a car seat. Do Not ever get tempted to have the kid in the front row as that is very dangerous in case of an accident even at a slow speed with the airbag going off in all the vehicles in question.

Parent will find entering the Ertiga easier that the Scorpio especially if they are aged but they will manage whichever vehicle you get as unlike us our parents are in general able to cope with all kinds on minor inconveniences that we find to be major.

Go with the vehicle you love more and I guess it may be the Scorpio in your case.

Last edited by ACM : 4th August 2015 at 17:41.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 10:11   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
@GeekSrik, The leg-space of Scorpio is not similar to say Innova or XUV. The First 2 rows are comfortable but not pampering. The captain seat in second row is much better than a 3 seat. The last row depends on person height (comfortable for people below 5' 7" but people with long legs will find difficult). It can easily accommodate 2 child + 1 adult in middle with ample and pampering leg space. For city drives it can carry 6 adults + 2 kids or 7 adults comfortably. The challenge for Highway drive is the luggage and need of legroom if you have 3 adults at the last row. Having said that guess this is much better than XUV's last row. If all rows are used it would need slight adjustments in the second and first row seats to make legroom for last row. Hope it helps.

Last edited by ManuMacher : 5th August 2015 at 10:13.
ManuMacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 10:51   #389
Senior - BHPian

thanks for your response manu. when you say XUV's last row, you mean second row? but i thought XUV's second row is much better than Scorpio's if i am not wrong.
Old 5th August 2015, 11:06   #390
Senior - BHPian

I'm taking delivery of the S4+ 4WD today. Fingers crossed. Will follow up with my Initial Impressions of the vehicle.
roy_libran is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks