Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2015, 14:19   #241
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
If you notice, there is a slot marked on the C pillar cladding to incorporate a three point seat-belt!.... I don't have a photo right now but will post tomorrow after clicking a pic.
I'd taken that photo when I went for checking it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-nano-3point.jpg  

nijelj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 15:54   #242
BHPian

I took the plunge. Booked a Nano GenX Manual in Red! Will be getting it delivered on Monday (8th of June). The on road cost comes to 2,97,450. I'l put the break up later and have got some discounts too. I'm yet to decide whether to exchange my old Nano with them. I've got a friend of mine interested in my car. Will decide tonight.

Just as an info - when I enquired about the number of bookings till now, he alone has got 14 bookings for the AMT. Mohandas motors in trivandrum have received around 84 bookings for AMT and nearly 86 bookings for the manual! That's some crazy figure.

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 16:03   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I took the plunge. Booked a Nano GenX Manual in Red! Will be getting it delivered on Monday (8th of June). The on road cost comes to 2,97,450. I'l put the break up later and have got some discounts too. I'm yet to decide whether to exchange my old Nano with them. I've got a friend of mine interested in my car. Will decide tonight.

Just as an info - when I enquired about the number of bookings till now, he alone has got 14 bookings for the AMT. Mohandas motors in trivandrum have received around 84 bookings for AMT and nearly 86 bookings for the manual! That's some crazy figure.

Cheers!
Congrats! Sangria Red seems quite popular.

Nice to know you're getting it quite early, seems the dealers are well stocked!

Have a great time!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 6th June 2015 at 16:05.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2015, 16:07   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

Have a great time!
Thanks a lot! Red is indeed popular and beautiful. Even the white looks great! But mom just loves the red like anything. So yeah, confirmed that. And yes, they had 12 cars readily available in their yard for the manual (but just a single Red). Checked the VIN and all these cars are March 2015 manufactured.
Old 6th June 2015, 18:50   #245
BHPian

So, what would be the most popular selling colors for the new Nano ?
I am guessing white & silver. I personally could never buy a popular color - it just gets lost in a sea of silver & white. Even the Sangria Red seems to be getting quite popular now ! Well, that leaves the Damson Purple. It would be easily visible even in a crowd ! And that Persian Rose pink - boy, that's an eyesore though! Cant imagine too many people buying that pink color .
Old 6th June 2015, 20:07   #246
BHPian

More than a month after my booking at concorde motors bangalore,they still talk about allocation in 'next two three days' whenever I call.
I saw a couple of Sangria reds on the road today which means deliveries have started. Has anyone got further information on Bangalore deliveries?

Btw 1, Many posts here talk about the Nanos being bought for 'the wife' - I beg to differ. For the majority of the last 5 years the Nano has been my daily companion to work,to the movies with family, to whatever including a few highway jaunts. Except when one Indica rammed into the front wheel at 1.am. in the night at Jayanagar and sped away , no other dents or complaints. Third gear remains my favorite where you can prowl at 20 all the way to 80 while overtaking that surprised figo or swift who is waiting for his turbo to kick in :-)
I hope with the new 5 speeder there are some gears where that peppiness if still available either in the manual or sport mode.

Btw 2 , wonder if ye'all have seen this nifty promo from Tata for the GenX -
They have done it well.I had gone for this shoot too as I had mentioned in an earlier http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3701291 post. Unfortunately my bollywood dreams ended in a moment of stardom - er literally

Btw 3 , preposterous as it may sound and with so much buzz around the auto shifts I decided to take this beauty for a spin to Nandi hills here.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-gla200.jpg
(Check out http://www.zoomcar.com/ - for under a thousand rupees for 4 hours, this is anyday better than spending that same amount in an upmarket eatout. Guaranteed your wife/gf/gang will be super excited)It has a 7-speed auto with paddle shift, electronic cruise ctrl,splendid interiors - the works.Surprisingly I came away unimpressed. Maybe it was the high expectations.It has got ~100bhp more than the GenX but my head hit the roof the moment I looked up to see the bonnet. In the Nano you have to really struggle to hit your head :-) Ofcourse I had to keep checking the speedo to limit it below 100. But then again you can feel the diesel growl and also the pull between up-shifts - just like many have complained about the GenX ! But then that was the 'E' mode - the sport mode is a different beast altogether, I guess unlike the GenX.The creep in forward and reverse works well but nothing can beat the new GenX while parking.Then again for 42L OTR ( http://www.carwale.com/new/quotation...52652&t=1-3775) I could get 12 GenXs, distribute 2 or 3 to the needy ,donate 2 or 3 to some institutions , 2 or 3 to friends n family and would still be wondering what to do with 4 more cars !! What the heck - only with the RTO cost of the GLA 200 I can buy 2 GenX Nanos
mail2sekh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 01:49   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
No numbers or percentages, but I'm sure it's more than the number of people who belt up in the rear seat for city commutes.

Also, everyone in my close friends circle who has a young child, has it in their car.

I made this point purely on the basis of feedback from my sister and a few other young mothers in our residential Colony, who were interested in buying the car, when it was brought down by the Tata motors person for a td.

The first question they asked was, " can I fit the baby seat In it?"
Yes, increasingly larger number of people are using it. We have used it from day 1, and quite a few of my colleagues and friends do so too. But yes, its a small, urban phenomenon. But the number of ladies you see sitting in the front passenger seat, with a child her lap, is *scary*.

That said, it still feels cheap to drop it from the features list of the car. I am sure any model they export to any other country in the world will have one.
Old 7th June 2015, 11:03   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post

Btw 3 , preposterous as it may sound and with so much buzz around the auto shifts I decided to take this beauty for a spin to Nandi hills here.
I believe I saw you (or someone else driving this car) about a week ago on the service road next to Dakshin Honda on Hosur Road. The red colour along with the rent a car number plates caught my eye.

Quote:

Another major point they skimped on is the Day / night inner rest view mirror. The original nano LX had it, why remove it for 'improved' versions?

The Tata guys here have no clue if it can be sourced. Looks like I'll have to do that on my own.
Day/Night IRVM for nano was available at Concorde Motors Dairy Circle service centre for Rs 440. Last December I had bought it for my twist XT which had the normal IRVM. If its not available now then I need to remove it from my car before transferring it to the new owner! I still have the original non Day/Night IRVM with me.
alphahere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 19:08   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

Have a great time!
Sangria red is the most popular colour according to the dealers. Contrary to what you think, the dealers are not at all well stocked, especially the AMT versions. Most of the vehicles being dispatched are manuals, and the dealer here claims that only 400 odd AMT cars have been manufactured so far. Seems like Tata has goofed up again. It does not take a genius to understand that a low cost, high FE city runabout with automatic will ell like hot cakes in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltheking View Post
So, what would be the most popular selling colors for the new Nano ?
I am guessing white & silver. I personally could never buy a popular color - it just gets lost in a sea of silver & white. Even the Sangria Red seems to be getting quite popular now ! Well, that leaves the Damson Purple. It would be easily visible even in a crowd ! And that Persian Rose pink - boy, that's an eyesore though! Cant imagine too many people buying that pink color .
I think the popularity of colours will be as follows. 5 and 6 may be interchanged.

1) Sangria Red
2)Pearl White
3) Meteor Silver
4) Damson Purple
5) Dazzle Blue
6) Royal Gold
7) Persian Rose ( Special Order)

Surprisingly, there are 2 bookings for Persian Rose, in cochin, while there are none for Royal gold.
Old 7th June 2015, 21:36   #250
BHPian

Quote:

I think the popularity of colours will be as follows. 5 and 6 may be interchanged.

1) Sangria Red
2)Pearl White
3) Meteor Silver
4) Damson Purple
5) Dazzle Blue
6) Royal Gold
7) Persian Rose ( Special Order)

Surprisingly, there are 2 bookings for Persian Rose, in cochin, while there are none for Royal gold.
I would have thought the same except that Red coming after White & Silver. A little bit surprised that Red would be more popular than White or Silver. I dont think I am surprised that there are no takers for the Royal gold. I dont know - it just looks horrible. Reminds me of an autorickshaw , I guess ! It already looks faded and worn out even though it's new. And , I am 99.99% certain that a couple of ladies would have booked the Persian Rose !
Old 7th June 2015, 21:42   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Contrary to what you think, the dealers are not at all well stocked, especially the AMT versions. Most of the vehicles being dispatched are manuals, and the dealer here claims that only 400 odd AMT cars have been manufactured so far. Seems like Tata has goofed up again. It does not take a genius to understand that a low cost, high FE city runabout with automatic will ell like hot cakes in India.
It's too early to jump the gun and blame the poor manufacturer, unless of course you have taken a liking to it. Two reasons:
1. 400 is too small a number and would have been enough just for test drive vehicles given their vast network. Besides here in India people pass on rumours and their illogical guesses just like credible info.
2. It doesn't take much time to adjust manufacturing line based on booking input from dealers unless there is problems in sourcing the AMT boxes.

Btw, I just test drove one today (the AMT version) and kind of liked it. What impressed me the most was the space inside. I could sit very comfortable both in front and at back without adjusting the front seat. Only disappointment was when the hatch was opened I was like "is this all for this little space?"
prakash_ajp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 23:42   #252
BHPian

I had been to Tata Motor "Fest" today at Queensland Theme park in Chennai. They delivered 4 tickets to the park and since my kids wanted to go, packed ourselves in our Tata Nano Twist (One of the conditions was that we must come in a Tata vehicle) and drove to the park. They had a Bolt and Zest on display apart from Tata Nano AMT. Did a short test drive of the AMT and was impressed. Since I'm used to driving an automatic (my other car is a Honda City SV auto) and used to the rubberband effect on the city, I kind of got used to the AMT pretty fast and for a car with 600 odd CC engine, the performance was pretty good. What impressed me more is the noticeable jump in quality of the interiors and overall fit and finish. A perfect city car in my opinion. On road price quoted was Rs 3.5 lakh including 2 years extended warranty for the top end variant.

Last edited by chennai-indian : 7th June 2015 at 23:43.
Old 8th June 2015, 00:52   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
What impressed me the most was the space inside.
That's been the USP since the car was launched. It would surprise a lot of people who only spend time criticising it online without ever having sat inside one. Its one of the most spacious hatches around from a seating perspective.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th June 2015 at 00:53.
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 10:45   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Contrary to what you think, the dealers are not at all well stocked, especially the AMT versions. Most of the vehicles being dispatched are manuals, and the dealer here claims that only 400 odd AMT cars have been manufactured so far. Seems like Tata has goofed up again. It does not take a genius to understand that a low cost, high FE city runabout with automatic will ell like hot cakes in India.
From what I know of the auto industry, it's the dealers who place orders with the plant based on their sales expectations. I'm guessing the dealers don't really think this would sell like a hot cake. It hasn't done so in the past so I don't blame them either.
Old 8th June 2015, 10:57   #255
BHPian

Quote:
No numbers or percentages, but I'm sure it's more than the number of people who belt up in the rear seat for city commutes.

Also, everyone in my close friends circle who has a young child, has it in their car.

I made this point purely on the basis of feedback from my sister and a few other young mothers in our residential Colony, who were interested in buying the car, when it was brought down by the Tata motors person for a td.

The first question they asked was, " can I fit the baby seat In it?"

I have twins and use 2 child seats in my car. One of them in the middle (with the lap belt) and one next to the window (with the 3 point belt). Have had no issues with either of them so far.

The best place for child seats is the middle and most cars did not have 3-point middle seats belts for quite some time. So I'm guessing that lap belts are perfectly fine.

In any case, a child seat anchored with a lap belt should be infinitely better than a child jumping in the back seat without any restraints.
aptiwa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks