Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:17   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagara999 View Post
Got the delivery of my S-Cross 1.3 Zeta on 24 Jan; Got some work done at 3M Baner over this weekend:
- External Pain Sealant
- Internal Gemkleen Protection +
- Windshield Film CR70
- PPF for Front Bumper (Corners), Door Handles and Edges

The difficult part for me is managing to keep the car under 2000rpm
Congrats and welcome to the club Sagar!

Ask me how terribly difficult it is, to control your urge to keep the car below 2000 RPM. As the experts have mentioned, you can try and vary RPM throughout the range (no red lining please) until say 5000 KMs.

Can you imagine I had to do a 600 KMs highway trip when the ODO reading was just about 800 KMs? I did, however, crossed the 2k RPM mark on the highway a couple of times. Even though the 1.3 is not a monster like the 1.6, the torque push above 2k RPM is addictive. The car reaches triple digit speeds in no time and you just don't feel it. The car is rock solid at any speed.

No need to say enjoy the car. Drive safe!
ajay_satpute is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 12:52   #3122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Absolutely! Although most DDiS200 owners on the forum seem to be very happy with their acquisition, at this price point and budget permitting, the 1.6 makes a very sensible choice indeed!
In the real world, it seems DDiS200 is the more sensible option especially if you don't frequent into highways very often. Except from this forum, I am getting all the flak for going for the bigger engine at a higher price sacrificing the FE. Everyone - my dad, friends are concerned only about the FE

However, I am happy with my decision that I went with my heart and not my brain. End of the day, Im paying 1.5 lakhs more for THE engine - which I think it is definitely worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Completed 10000km of ownership in 5 months.
Only sad part is the recent price drop. I would have gone for the 1.6 at 14.5L OTR. (flowchart wasted)
Awesome Sandygordon, we were all looking to buy the S-Cross at the same time - and while I look to take the delivery in a couple of weeks, you already have completed a 10k run

Only benefit from my 5 month delay is the price drop and I am getting to own the DDiS320.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
Just completed 1700 Kms trip of Rajasthan covering Udaipur, Ranakpur and Jodhpur. Nothing better than combination of awesome highways of Rajasthan and 320DDIS. Will post detailed trip information soon.
Wow chaudharysaab. You have the exact car I wanted to own. Premium Silver S-Cross DDiS 320 Alpha with 5 spoke diamond cut alloys. I will have to do with a White one though.
Old 2nd February 2016, 13:17   #3123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
You must be enjoying the drives! How Michelin would fare in handling gravel paths & pot-holed/ broken roads? Thinking about mine DDIS 320 !
Neeraj
Michelins are nice !
Pretty silent and comfortable on potholed/ speedbreaker / broken roads.
Haven't got a chance to test on gravel yet.

So far all good in 1100 kms.
However, its quite early to give a verdict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
He is mentioning about the cost of HID conversion kit not the projector headlight setup . But 12600 for HID conversion kit is costly as philips/osram costs 9500 at max in market and these are top of the line brands in market .
Gurpreet,
12,600 is a steep price then.
Still I'm wondering if a manufacturer would invite customers to fit HIDs without projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
2700 during hear change isn't good IMO.

Maximum would be 2300 or 2500 but I'll suggest you to shift at 2000 rpm. That's where all the torque comes.
Anurag

That's a tough task, to control the throttle at 2000 rpm.
When the turbo kicks in, it will take you past 2000 rpm. (not always though)

For the engine, it is better to revv past 2000 rpm than lugging the engine just to avoid crossing the 2000 rpm.
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:35   #3124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Is this price for one or set of two ?
AFAIK, from the store, price of one HID headlamp cost is Rs 17200/-
The price quoted was for the Bi-Xenon HiD kit and does not include the projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
He is mentioning about the cost of HID conversion kit not the projector headlight setup . But 12600 for HID conversion kit is costly as philips/osram costs 9500 at max in market and these are top of the line brands in market .
The HiD kit NEXA is offering is apparently from Recon. As with other accessories I've enquired (seat covers, headlamps and sill guards), the after market prices appear more reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
12,600 is a steep price then.
Still I'm wondering if a manufacturer would invite customers to fit HIDs without projectors.
The accessories guy confirmed that manufacturer warranty remains intact with this mod. Wouldn't mind spending on the projectors, but there is no news of that coming anytime soon.

Additionally, leather wrapping for the steering cover is now offered and the finish is apparently almost similar to the one in the Alpha. The wheel would be dismantled, wrapped and remounted, all in the confines of the dealership/workshop.

PS: I'm totally turned off by the lack of a proper response from Karlssons for the steering wrap. Looks like they do not care much for small business! Not too keen on having it dismantled for a wrap, irrespective of where it is done!
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:41   #3125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, here's an update from the NEXA accessories team for those looking to upgrade to HID/Xenon headlights. The upgrade kit is available for ~ INR 12,600 and includes the bulbs, ballast harnesses, and not the projectors.
Could you confirm the dealer who is offering this? Bimal Motors has not acknowledged change this for lower variants!
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:49   #3126
BHPian

Quote:

Additionally, leather wrapping for the steering cover is now offered and the finish is apparently almost similar to the one in the Alpha. The wheel would be dismantled, wrapped and remounted, all in the confines of the dealership/workshop.
This is good news. When I took delivery of my car at Bimal Nexa, the RM discouraged me from opting for the leather wrapping. He mentioned that the finish is not great and a couple of customers were not too happy.

If they are removing the steering and working o the wrap, it should be a machine stitch giving a finish just like the one in Alpha variants.

BTW, which dealer did you speak with for the leather wrap?
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:15   #3127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Could you confirm the dealer who is offering this? Bimal Motors has not acknowledged change this for lower variants!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
This is good news. When I took delivery of my car at Bimal Nexa, the RM discouraged me from opting for the leather wrapping. He mentioned that the finish is not great and a couple of customers were not too happy.
Nexa Palace (attached to Mandovi Motors). Should you want to "question" the accessories chap, I can PM you his contact
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 16:40   #3128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Additionally, leather wrapping for the steering cover is now offered and the finish is apparently almost similar to the one in the Alpha. The wheel would be dismantled, wrapped and remounted, all in the confines of the dealership/workshop.

PS: I'm totally turned off by the lack of a proper response from Karlssons for the steering wrap. Looks like they do not care much for small business! Not too keen on having it dismantled for a wrap, irrespective of where it is done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post

If they are removing the steering and working o the wrap, it should be a machine stitch giving a finish just like the one in Alpha variants.

BTW, which dealer did you speak with for the leather wrap?
When you guys in Bangalore have access to Devraj in J.C. Road, why would you opt for the dealership to do this job? I think there are a bunch of other reputed guys (Imperial is another one) & they'll do a great job for VFM price compared to the dealer.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:30   #3129
BHPian

For S-Cross, there are 4 screens on MID which we can rotate through. Three of them show average speed, average fuel efficiency and instant fuel efficiency. The fourth screen seems to be blank. I was expecting digital speed display or something but not blank. Is this intentional or I need to check this during the service?
[Apologies if this is already answered / discussed.]
Old 2nd February 2016, 17:59   #3130
BHPian

Quote:
For S-Cross, there are 4 screens on MID which we can rotate through. Three of them show average speed, average fuel efficiency and instant fuel efficiency. The fourth screen seems to be blank. I was expecting digital speed display or something but not blank. Is this intentional or I need to check this during the service?
It has been mentioned in the review by S2 that the blank screen is by design for an uncluttered look.

Including a link to the 1st page
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html
nmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:14   #3131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are total 5 screens in the Indian S CROSS. (Range kms, you have missed)
The blank screen is intentional.
It is mentioned in the owner's manual

UK Version has 6 screens, additional is Oil life

Name:  Scross UK.png
Views: 2830
Size:  24.5 KB
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:58   #3132
Distinguished - BHPian

S cross limited edition is out guys. Just saw the pic in Nexa Fb page
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-fb_img_1454430353964.jpg  

Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 22:40   #3133
BHPian

Great Job by Maruti Suzuki and bringing it back the S-Sross to "happening Car" after the intial brunt it faced by high price from fierce competition from Hyundai Creta. The more I see the car, I am tending to like it and this limited edition looks very Nice. The other day while driving to office, I saw the standard alloys of S-Cross painted in Black color which looked hot and gave a different meaning to it.
I see the sales of S-Cross increase in the coming months
Old 3rd February 2016, 00:13   #3134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine_charan View Post
I see the sales of S-Cross increase in the coming months
May be yes, if the brezza is not being launched. Once the brezza comes with the expected starting price of 6.5-7L, scross will further feel the heat, imo.
Old 3rd February 2016, 03:02   #3135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
In the real world, it seems DDiS200 is the more sensible option especially if you don't frequent into highways very often. Except from this forum, I am getting all the flak for going for the bigger engine at a higher price sacrificing the FE. Everyone - my dad, friends are concerned only about the FE
Hi Vigkey, I own an S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and my business partner an S-Cross 1.3 Alpha both in white. So I have the pleasure of driving the cars back to back on the same roads in Kolkata and on the highways in West Bengal. The cars have been with us for just more than 2 weeks now and has 1.1k on the odo.

I would say if you compare very closely and in a bumper to bumper drive the 1.3 is much easier to manage and is more linear. The 1.6 is either very sedate or is urging to surge past, making extremely slow speed driving a bit tricky. But that said the eagerness of the 1.6 engine and the smoothness is way better than 1.3 (DDIS 200). I had been with DDIS engines for the last 9 years. Swift 1.3 DDIS (1.15 lac kms), Ertiga ZDi (DDIS 200) for 36kms and now the S-Cross 1.6. I would say that if you love to drive the 1.6 is just superb.

I just had my 1st service and my FE after a 200kms highway run is 19.8 kmpl ... and the drive was just so smooth. Easily hitting 100 kmph in 6th gear with the engine in and around 1800 RPM.

Both the 1.3 and 1.6 are on Michelin P3ST so I am comparing 2 identical twins but with different hearts.

You wont go wrong with 1.6 so be rest assured.

I took a day or two to get myself accustomed to the 1.6's power delivery in low speed and after that its been a breeze. Also, when the lights turn Green and you are the 1st in line, its always a pleasure seeing the rest of the cars bite the dust as you are 100mts away from them even before they realized.

FYI, I have been keeping within 3k RPM with 80% under 2K RPM and sometimes pushing the engine for an overtake or burst.

The 1.6 has its 3rd gear like an automatic. I drive from 30kmph to 60kmph in the 3rd gear in the city. Gear shift is better in the 1.6 than the 1.3. Felt smoother to slot in when compared to the 1.3.

Cross your heart and believe me the 1.6 will bring in a BIG SMILE in your face every-time you floor it.

Here are some shots of my beauty.

Cheers
Ranendra
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-0720160117_120703.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-0920160117_120757.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-0820160117_120736.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1020160117_120851.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-22img_9830.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-17img_9840.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-53img_9784.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-0320160117_102151.jpg