Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 15:41   #7171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hi Guys, I am currently torn between choosing Ertiga Zdi+ and Scross 1.3 zeta. You can see my story in this thread
I'll take a TD today. What is the headlamp rating of Scross? Are the stock headlamps sufficient for highways at night?
Considering that you have driven only 45k kms in 9 years, I would suggest you to look at Petrol options only.
IMHO, Hyundai Creta Petrol (MT or AT) or Maruti Ciaz petrol would be the best option for you.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:45   #7172
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am currently torn between choosing Ertiga Zdi+ and Scross 1.3 zeta. You can see my story in this thread
I'll take a TD today. What is the headlamp rating of Scross? Are the stock headlamps sufficient for highways at night?
After reading your requirements, I'd say S-Cross 1.3 Zeta. The below were your requirements and it satisfies all of it and more. Please note, almost all car manufacturer provides head lights which are poor. You will need better bulbs with the Zeta for sure.

Safety : ABS, Dual airbags minimum. I always look for the highest trim of any car that comes in my budget as that trim will usually have all the safety measures available for that model.
Rear seat space: the new car should have a rear seat wide enough for 2 adults and an infant seat. Effectively, space for 3 adults to seat comfortably over long drives.
Ride Comfort: My wife will accompany my son in the rear seat always. So a good ride quality is must. Bouncy ride & excessive horizontal movement is a big no no.
Build quality & Reliability : Looking for a reliable & sturdy car. Should not ‘feel’ like driving a tin can. Should not sway sideways on a highway when a bigger vehicle is overtaking in the next lane. Expecting minimum niggles with the new car.
Boot space: the new car should have a good boot space to carry a stroller & other baby needs plus weekend trip luggage of 4 adults.
Highway Performance : On highways the car should be able to comfortably cruise at 100 - 120 KMph all day with few rare occasions of 140+ in smooth deserted stretches. Overtaking other vehicles on highways should not be a strain on the engine.
Servicing : Servicing should be tension-free. I have had a smooth A.S.S. experience with Maruti for the last 7 years.
City Performance : I don’t drag race between traffic lights on city streets; so I am not expecting a hot-hatch-type performance. The new car shouldn’t fall back when the signal becomes green and other cars are already far ahead. I would hate to be honked at by all the vehicles behind.
Ground Clearance : The car should have decent ground clearance. My ritz, when fully loaded with 4 adults, scrapes some of the huge speed-breakers of Bangalore.
Fuel : Diesel. Sometimes I feel the need of more torque while going uphill fully loaded. A diesel mill should provide additional torque.
Fuel Efficiency : FE is the last thing in this list. Anything in the range of 15 KMPL in real world scenario is good enough for me.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 21:03   #7173
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my S-Cross 1.6 Re - remapped

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170411wa0014.jpg
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20170411wa0024.jpg

Details coming up soon!!
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 21:07   #7174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post

I have below the questions and request your answers/suggestions for the same:

1) Doesn't Back row middle seat belt retract? I noticed it recently as I never sat in the back row.
2) I am not using any seat covers as of now and the stock Fabric Upholstery is extremely comfortable. I am planning to go for a seat cover (as we are expecting a baby) and require your suggestions for the same. I know ajay_satpute bought nexa seat covers but I will be using the car mostly for long drives, so will it be comfortable?
3) When I bought, S-Cross didn't come with ISOFIX, is it possible to get it done now?
I can answer about the first point. Rear row middle seat belt does not retract. I actually pulled it totally backwards and kept in the boot area. Maximum members travelling will be limited to four. So, 4 seat belts are enough
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 21:39   #7175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I upgraded from a 2010 Ritz to an s-cross last year. Are you sure you need a diesel ? Like mentioned above, 45K is way too low a running to keep you tied down to 'ONLY' diesel cars.

With a child and a stroller, I am guessing you already have ISOFIX in place on these. If that is indeed the case, I would recommend - ciaz. Ciaz should have ISOFIX on them.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/scoop-...-isofix-mounts

When compared to CIAZ, the s-cross adds cruise control, which is missing in ciaz. But it should be available in a petrol version as well.

The s-cross is also a very good choice, but it lacks the ISOFIX mounts. Maruti should have added that option on all NEXA cars.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 22:21   #7176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I upgraded from a 2010 Ritz to an s-cross last year. Are you sure you need a diesel ? Like mentioned above, 45K is way too low a running to keep you tied down to 'ONLY' diesel cars.

With a child and a stroller, I am guessing you already have ISOFIX in place on these. If that is indeed the case, I would recommend - ciaz. Ciaz should have ISOFIX on them.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/scoop-...-isofix-mounts

When compared to CIAZ, the s-cross adds cruise control, which is missing in ciaz. But it should be available in a petrol version as well.

The s-cross is also a very good choice, but it lacks the ISOFIX mounts. Maruti should have added that option on all NEXA cars.
The scross now comes with ISOFIX mounts as well, was a recent update made I think
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 22:23   #7177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I beg to differ, if I like a car and it comes in diesel only, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't go for it, even if my running is low. In my case, it's a Brezza which has less than 3K kms in 1 year. But since it's a secondary car used exclusively for highway trips which have been less due to some issues, I'm fine with it. It serves my purpose and that too quite well.

Quote:
The S-Cross was updated with isofix mounts some time back. All NEXA cars have isofix mounts now.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 11th April 2017 at 22:25.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 23:48   #7178
Distinguished - BHPian

S-Cross 1.6 gets Wolf Remap :

Got my car Wolf tuned and I am loving it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...oto-remap.html
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 02:03   #7179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I beg to differ, if I like a car and it comes in diesel only, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't go for it, even if my running is low. In my case, it's a Brezza which has less than 3K kms in 1 year. But since it's a secondary car used exclusively for highway trips which have been less due to some issues, I'm fine with it. It serves my purpose and that too quite well.
The S-Cross was updated with isofix mounts some time back. All NEXA cars have isofix mounts now.
I meant, that he should not have a notion that he must buy ONLY diesel cars, and that he should be open to both petrol and diesel. A zxi ertiga may as well work for him instead of a zdi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
The scross now comes with ISOFIX mounts as well, was a recent update made I think
True. It is also reflecting in our news section.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/driver...ss-gets-isofix

could earlier owners get that fixed as an accessory? is it possible, or is it a complete seat change?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 03:32   #7180
BHPian

Quote:
You are basically comparing a Cadbury Five Star to a power-packed SNICKERS here! Save yourself the trouble and get the S-Cross over the Ertiga. Considering your requirements, you will fall in love with the S-Cross almost instantly. For the budget that you have mentioned, the 1.3 Zeta/Alpha suit you. If you can stretch it, get the 1.6 variant. It is worth every penny after the last price cut. As for your query on the headlamps, I strongly recommend getting a decent set of projectors installed for highway runs; the stock headlamps are pretty meh.
sunejarahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 10:50   #7181
BHPian

Quote:
How similar are our requirements. I too have graduated from the ever reliable workhorse Ritz. I can relate your requirements with me and went through the same dilemma. That's another story and as it may sound a little partial to suggest you S-Cross, there is no denying the fact that it's superior product. Not that the creta, ertiga or rapid can't be considered, s-cross ticks most of your requirements. Let's go through your requirements list and evaluate if this product is really worth.
  • Safety : S-cross probably one of the best in braking. What's missing is 4 more airbags.
  • Rear seat space: 3 bulky adults won't be an issue in S-cross.
  • Ride Comfort: Fantastic ride comfort specifically on broken roads. Since the suspension is on the firmer side, you may feel a little unsettled on low speeds on broken roads. Once you increase the speed, it just glides over.
  • Build quality & Reliability : Best from Maruti currently. On the reliability part, let's face it, any maruti car won't break down mechanically 99% of time. The same can't be spoken about the non-mechanical components. It had it's share of niggles.
  • Boot space: Coming from ritz, you will surely appreciate the boot, not that it's huge. But, the symmetry makes it more usable than some of the higher capacity models.
  • Highway Performance :100-120 breeze. 140-160 you need to push, strained but achievable. Let's face it. Even if you add a bigger turbo, the raw power comes from displacement. Simply don't compare with that 1.6 in creta and surely not that monster 1.6 in s-cross.
  • Servicing : Tension free but little on the higher side. When I compared that to my friend's ecosport, s-cross servicing cost is a cool 10-15% dearer.
  • City Performance :It won't give you outright performance during initial pickup. If you know how to work the gears, you won't end up at the back of the queue. The handling makes up for the deficit in power. To give you a perspective, the dusters and cretas can't beat you in Bangalore traffic
  • Ground Clearance : This is where it feels true. In last 20 months of ownership, I remember scraping only a handful of times over mega potholes.
  • Fuel : Sadly no petrol option here. If refinement is not a major factor compared to petrol, then this is not bad. It's better to spend upfront rather getting mental tension during every fill up. I am sure you will drive more once you have a oil burner.
  • Fuel Efficiency : Rest assured, you will at least extract 14-16 kmpl in the worst traffic. On the other side, your wallet will smile during long drives.
Having said all these good things, I still request you to do some more research and go for multiple test drives for all your contenders. If I may suggest, start your test drive from ORR through the dense traffic during office hours and test highway manners in NICE road.

Best of luck with your new ride.
sou_3749 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 00:24   #7182
BHPian

Please forgive me for asking a stupid question: Why is Scross considered a crossover and not a premium hatchback? Is it because Maruti markets the vehicle as a crossover? Is it because of a slightly raised stance? What are the crucial differentiating factors between, say, a Scross (a crossover), i20 active ( crossover or raised hatchback?) and elite i20 (hatchback)?

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 13th April 2017 at 00:27.
Old 13th April 2017, 00:47   #7183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please forgive me for asking a stupid question: Why is Scross considered a crossover and not a premium hatchback?
Please do not compare Elite I20 / Active with S-Cross. S-Cross is one segment higher and more than 4 metres in length. I20 Active is just pseudo cross of I20.

I am happy that Maruti calls S-Cross as "Cross over" while some manufacturers brand everything as "SUV".

P.S : What's your take on Ecosport? Premium hatch / Cross over / SUV?
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 01:57   #7184
BHPian

Quote:
Please forgive me for asking a stupid question: Why is Scross considered a crossover and not a premium hatchback? Is it because Maruti markets the vehicle as a crossover? Is it because of a slightly raised stance? What are the crucial differentiating factors between, say, a Scross (a crossover), i20 active ( crossover or raised hatchback?) and elite i20 (hatchback)?
If you go by definition, then cars like Brezza, Ecosport, S-Cross and even Creta fall under the category of "Crossover Cars". I wouldn't take a lot of time explaining, please google & wiki the details. In India, terms like "SUV", "MUV", "LUV", "Crossover" etc are actually just marketing gimmicks. Apart from your usual Hatchbacks, Sedans & SUV segments, the Indian market has grown a potential for a new segment (Etios Cross, Cross Polo, i20 Active, Ecosport, Brezza, S-Cross) over the last few years. The lines are blurred when defining a proper Crossover, Premium Hatchback & SUV nowadays. In plain words, if you build a car that is not a hatchback, not a sedan and not a proper SUV then you have to term it something to gain a Marketing advantage and to justify a higher price tag.

For the other part of your question, the S-Cross is a very different product in contrast with i20 Elite/Active. The i20 was built to be a sub 4 meter hatchback, like it has been ever since the first iteration. The Active was introduced by using the "crossover" styling to boost sales while fundamentally selling the same car. The S-Cross was built on an independent platform inspired by the SX4 design language. The difference lies in the intention of the car makers. The S-Cross is not only marketed as a premium crossover, but has been built like one. Every inch of the car (except some minor part sharings) was built to be distinctive. It is not your usual maruti hatchback which has been restyled and resized to pass as a crossover.

If you are interested in comparing these cars, the best way would be to research about them (specifications, dimensions, engine types) and then TD them. After you're through with your research and TD you will have a feel of what these cars are, their on-road behaviour, handling dynamics, basically their true nature and how you relate to it. It is better to avoid what marketing guys say and head for what the market has on offer.
sunejarahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 08:00   #7185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Been waiting for someone to ask this question!! Here's why SCross DOES not have a competition in India for now & is superior...
  • Pathetic marketing skills of Maruti-Suzuki
  • Suzuki TECT body
  • Stability & Comfort of a Sedan & Ruggedness of a SUV - This is why it is called as CrossOver. Allow me to explain this; SUV usually under high speeds have a body roll due to high GC but a sedan does not. A sedan is a low seater due to low GC & offers superior comfort & stability but not a SUV. Thus SCross brings the best of both the world - high GC without bodyroll at high speeds and sedan's comfort & stability.
  • When we test rode i20, it offers a plush ride with very soft suspension setup & the potholes can be felt. With SCross the suspension setup is not only stiff (not hard) to simply go over any potholes but also take the curves at high speed without losing stability. I seldom doubt if i20 can do that because I've only witnessed Rapid kind of cars doing such high speed curves, probably a Punto, not witnessed though
  • Like DrNaren said, SCross is not a sub 4 meter segment like i20 & compact SUV like Ecosport might get you claustrophobic which is no way possible with SCross. And talking about the price...i20 & SCross 1.3 has nearly the same engine power while SCross has cruise control, TECT body & more space while keeping the price more ot less same as i20. What i20 has in addition is rear A/C & additional 6th gear.
  • 4 wheel disc brakes to give superior stopping power
  • 1.6 is a NEAR SQUARE engine which is perfect balance between torque, top speed & engine longevity (other known near square engines are Honda Karizma aka CRF230 & Yamaha R15) with lower compression ratio, due to which it becomes a relaxed cruiser & has homongus torque in the segment when most cars are begin to attain speed. While the 1.3 Fiat national engine has already established itself for over years for its reliable & superior performance for over lakhs of Km without missing a beat with normal & regular maintenance.
    8. Amazing A/C which keeps the backseat definitely cooler as we were able to check out at 38 degree temperature at Arcot & front seats are bone chilling. If govt takes out the ban on sun control film, rear A/C is the last thing to ask on this vehicle
  • Amazing engineering on speed masking, you feel like the vehicle is always moving slow until you see outside & notice vehicles disappearing in ORVM. Even a 160 feels like 120ish
  • Music system is one of the best in the segment is what I can say, atleast on the 1.6
  • Last but not the least, buying is one time affair, but maintenance is for lifetime & there's no one to beat Maruti ASC in India, atleast for now

And if SCross is considered as premium hatch back
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-suzukisx4scrossreview2014_36.jpg

Then, this is BMW's premium hatchback
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-x1xline3.jpg.resource.1432136463357.jpg

This is Audi's premium hatchback
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2017audiq3premiumplussuvsideview.png

This is Merc's premium hatchback
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-mercedesbenzaclassreviewedbyhotanastasiatregubovavideo_12.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 13th April 2017 at 08:20.
aargee is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks