Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2015, 18:49   #1741
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Went for a test drive of the 1.3 and 1.6 today.

My observations:

1. Compared to my SX4 DDiS, the 1.3 feels underpowered and hoarse; hoarse - probably because the engine is brand new, underpowered because of Maruti's obsession with 'Kitna deyti hai', squeeze the proverbial last kmpl from that poor engine

2. The 1.6 is a gem of an engine. I beg to differ with many opinions in the forum regarding a pronounced turbo lag. Yes, every turbo diesel has a turbo lag, one cannot expect a turbocharged diesel engine to take-off like a normally aspirated petrol, at least initially. But even at low revs, I felt the 1.6 almost as eager as 2 litre petrol, waiting to have its neck wrung! Once the revs climb, there's literally no holding back!

My conclusion?
The adrenalin rush the 320 DDiS gives is similar to (and light years ahead of) what I got in the first gen G13BB engined Suzuki Swift, good ride, excellent handling. But, the price is literally a 'KILLER'

At an astronomical Rs. 17.8 Lakhs on-road at Bangalore for a 1.6 Alpha, I'd rather hang on to my ultra-smooth (and practical) DDiS SX4 and the brute of my Jeep CRD for a couple of years!
cpbopanna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 00:01   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hello fellow BHPians,
After a detailed planning including change of alloys/tyres, got my S Cross - DDiS200 Zeta today.
Alloys and tyres are as per my previous posts and done the change right away after delivery.
Congratulations!!! The car looks stunning in those alloys and these are the best looking alloys that I have seen so far! (no offence to other please, just individual taste). I have something almost similar on my mind, but this has smitten me. Can you please PM me the details?

Also, did the change in alloys increase or decrease the ride comfort?
I'd love to see the car in person. I have booked the blue but after seeing your car in granite grey with these alloys... hmmmm...
Old 20th September 2015, 10:40   #1743
t0m
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review: run in period query

A query about the run in period. I thought current generation engines did not need this. I remember when i was buying my Accent Viva crdi, the sales guy told me to take it easy for the first 1000-1500 kms. But that was 10 years back. When i bought my current one, Verna Fluidic 3.5 years back, no such thing came up. Is it the same for S-Cross? I am getting mine delivered tomorrow and planning a weekend trip (Noida to Jaipur). Do i need to take any special precautions vis-à-vis the max speed or any other?
Old 20th September 2015, 11:11   #1744
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
A query about the run in period. I thought current generation engines did not need this. I remember when i was buying my Accent Viva crdi, the sales guy told me to take it easy for the first 1000-1500 kms. But that was 10 years back. When i bought my current one, Verna Fluidic 3.5 years back, no such thing came up. Is it the same for S-Cross? I am getting mine delivered tomorrow and planning a weekend trip (Noida to Jaipur). Do i need to take any special precautions vis-à-vis the max speed or any other?
Regardless of what anyone tells you, the best bet would be to check the User Manual. It would defenitely have relevant information regarding the running in required if any.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 11:22   #1745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A query about the run in period. I thought current generation engines did not need this....Do i need to take any special precautions vis-à-vis the max speed or any other?
Personally irrespective of anything, I'll follow the run in process. When I am not losing out on anything, why not? After all, I'll have only benefits (if at all) in the long run. 1000 kms is hardly anything if you are looking to clock 1L kms.

Edit: This also helps in bedding the tyres / brakes etc.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th September 2015 at 11:24.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 13:09   #1746
BHPian

Quote:
Do i need to take any special precautions vis-à-vis the max speed or any other?
The owner manual will have the running-in information, if any. Regarless, I would suggest you to be on the safer side and follow run-in techniques. This will make your drive much relaxed and smoother, both for you and your car. Take it easy for the first 1000 kms at least. Keep in mind that the first 1000 kms will decide your next 100000 kms!

Which ever way you look at it, running-in process is more involving and enjoyable than constant speed drives. You have the liberty of changing gears as much as you want, being in different RPM ranges and constantly varying the speeds (and thus enjoying the acceleration). I feel this is much more enjoyable than doing a fast 120 kmph with nervousness and both hands on the steering!

EDIT - You should keep the revs low (not beyond 2.5/3k I guess) and keep the speeds below 80 kmph. While varying your speeds, take into consideration that the traffic is not doing running-in (and will move freely and fast) and you do not block their way. Have fun!
vin11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 13:23   #1747
BHPian

Hello friends,

Took delivery of my S-Cross DDiS200 Zeta Premium Silver at Nexa Palace, Bangalore earlier today.

Overall sales experience was 9/10. My RM ensured that all questions are satisfactorily answered and requests for multiple TDs fulfilled. Explained all the documentation and features in very good detail.

Delivery experience was 6/10. In fact, I would have liked to make it a 5, but for the courtesy of the staff on duty. The interiors of the car were anything but satisfactory (have promised to take back the car for a complete cleaning). In fact there are a couple of minor scratches in the exterior that they have promised to tend to as well.

ODO reading at the time of delivery was 25 KMS! Have to take the car for the customary pooja in the afternoon.

Posting a few pictures of the car parked in my basement parking slot. Will post more after the alloy swap on Monday/Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20150920_122019092.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20150920_122026906.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20150920_122058315.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20150920_115210911.jpg  

pannags is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 13:30   #1748
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the running in precautions from the S Cross manual.
1. Practice the idle rule
2. Keep rpm's below 2500
3. Avoid abrupt braking
4. Keeping varying speeds rather than in a constant speed.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20150920_132214.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th September 2015 at 13:35.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 14:23   #1749
BHPian

Quote:
Do i need to take any special precautions vis-à-vis the max speed or any other?
It is always recommended to go through the run in process for any new car and mores for diesel engines.

Here is a team-bhp recommendations and a full thread discussing for the run in.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Congratulations on your new ride...!!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2015 at 16:30. Reason: Fixing quotes.
thatsdileep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 18:04   #1750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Hello friends,

Took delivery of my S-Cross DDiS200 Zeta Premium Silver at Nexa Palace, Bangalore earlier today.
@pannags: Many Congratulations !!!
Looking forward to your pictures of the modifications you are planning as also to the driving experiences.
cjsarora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 19:11   #1751
t0m
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsdileep View Post
It is always recommended to go through the run in process for any new car and mores for diesel engines.

Here is a team-bhp recommendations and a full thread discussing for the run in.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Congratulations on your new ride...!!!
Thanks Dileep, will be getting mine tomorrow evening or morning the day after. The thread you referred is really informative and solved most of my questions.
Old 20th September 2015, 20:06   #1752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Congratulations!!! I have something almost similar on my mind, but this has smitten me. Can you please PM me the details?

Also, did the change in alloys increase or decrease the ride comfort?
Thanks. Here are some details of the alloys,
1. Make and type - MSW 24.

Not sure of ride as I have driven in the stock tires for only 7 kms, seems it has reduced noise considerably. AVg. fuel mileage stays at 17km/l

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th September 2015 at 20:08.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 00:09   #1753
BHPian

Re: 1.6 s-cross test drive review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
[*]An uncivilized imported luxury sedan driver was trying to intimidate me, so gave him run for his money during short stint, so thats all good there.[/list]The vehicle had +3000 km on it and already had dents. Its possible that the vehicle was abused as the marketing supervisor was encouraging me to rip the vehicle to experience its power. I drive civilized so didnt rip it like crazy except very briefly. Yes its nice but definitely not jaw dropping specially in city conditions. Maybe its different story on highway. Never got to 6th gear due to traffic.

At the end of the day this is a mcpherson strut with a fixed rear suspension, so you will always feel the road. Atleast maruti gave 4wheel disc this time which is welcome move.

Will I buy it?

Maybe, but I will wait as I would like Maruti to sort the above issues, and bring the Auto transmission. I do want the 1.6 but at the same time feel that it will be more comfortable to cruise this vehicle in Automatic instead of Manual. Manual 1.6 may give more fatigue than comfort especially in cities.
My close friend, an enthusiast himself has bought the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and I've driven it all the way to Delhi and even on the Yamuna Expressway. One thing I can surely say is that the performance is easily in the league of Jetta and Cruze. The power is something to get used to within the city. If you ever so rarely decide to rip it apart, it'll surely plaster a permanent smile upon your face. This little beast can easily keep up with much more expensive machinery, even at very ridiculous speeds.The party trick is to stay above 2000 revs and let the world fall apart. As an owner of an Octavia vRS, I can surely say that this beast has the potential to keep up with the stock RS on the expressway. Moreover, this engine feels more like a 2.0L motor. Only if the steering offered more feedback though. Even with its exorbitant price, dare I say - go ahead with it. It'll leave you grinning each time the tacho needle crosses the 2000 mark!

P.S. Mine is a Stage-II remap vRS so its a different story altogether.
mohaks19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 06:20   #1754
BHPian

Does S Cross come only with ABS or ABS with EBD?
Old 21st September 2015, 08:33   #1755
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally Nexa makes it to Patna.
Now starts the waiting game. I'm supposed to take a TD in 1st week of October in NCR and then decide on SCross. Everything depends on that. Since I'm not planning this year, I may get a blessing in disguise with better tyres than the current JKs. I'm also not sure if I will get a good alloy + tyre exchange at Patna. Let's see.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20150921_071208384.jpg  

BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks