Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 08:20   #436
BHPian

Re: Renault Kwid : Official Review

Sounds like the car has some difficulty to fully slot into 1st gear. I had the exact same issue with SS80 which used to screech instead of shudder. Maybe it's a teething issue on the Kwid because it took a few months on mine to shift smoothly. If it's causing much difficulty for you, take it to service.
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 16:22   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
The second incident happened when I went to the local market a few months back and has been occurring almost every other day now. As I reached the market, I hit the gas lightly but no response, the engine started vibrating a bit violently as if it would shut down. I floored the pedal, still no response from the engine, then after a while, the car responded to my throttle inputs. In some instances, my car engine used to get shut off also. Could any other KWID owners tell me whether they have been facing this issue as well?
This has happened to me multiple times - this happens mostly in the 2nd gear and once or twice in the 1st gear as well. Happens typically when it is being driven slowly and at low rev - accelerator response is very sluggish when this happens (almost no response - the car inches forward) - almost as if the engine is about to die, and then it starts accelerating (sometimes with a rattling sound from the engine bay).

When it happens in the second gear, I have found that shifting to 1st solves the problem. On the very few occasions that it happened in 1st gear, this went away when I did a clutch release and re-engage - this typically happened on an incline. I must concede that the engine was under stress in both situations (2nd gear & 1st gear) - maybe I was asking too much from the puny engine.

I raised this with the SA during my 1st service - was told that this happening in 2nd gear was normal - they said they will "check" the engine parameters - which returned nothing.

I have found that a quick dab on the accelerator before I start releasing the clutch helps me avoid this problem.
Kamikaze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 22:03   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
Maybe it's a teething issue on the Kwid because it took a few months on mine to shift smoothly. If it's causing much difficulty for you, take it to service.
I hope so that the issue would be resolved by itself in a few months. I'm planning to take it to service soon to fix these other issues as well:
  1. The Right Side Fender Cladding came loose and the noise is irritating me to no end.
  2. The Front Door (Passenger Side) makes a lot of noise as well. But when it is pressed tightly, the sound goes away. I tried tightening the door panel by myself but nothing worked. Tried taking off the door panel and there's this plastic covering the door. Since I'm not too good with self repair I just left it at that.
  3. The Bonnet comes loose from time to time. (Maybe its a combination of bad roads and the tin can body). I have to open up the bonnet, raise the two rubber thingys and then the bonnet sits tightly again.

The funny thing is, even though the car is 5 months old now, I still drive it like when it was new. My parents complain when I drop them to office saying I'm too slow as even cyclists sometimes overtake me But, despite treating it like a baby, the car has developed so much body noise. I feel like I should have just driven it roughly from the start. My gentle driving approach doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
This has happened to me multiple times - this happens mostly in the 2nd gear and once or twice in the 1st gear as well.. I raised this with the SA during my 1st service - was told that this happening in 2nd gear was normal - they said they will "check" the engine parameters - which returned nothing.
This is exactly how it happens to me too. I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue. Thank you for sharing your experience. It feels a bit crude saying this but I'm happy that I'm not the only one going through this predicament. Please keep us updated through this thread. I'll have to wait till Puja Vacations (in October) before I can take the car to have it checked at the Service Centre I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
I have found that a quick dab on the accelerator before I start releasing the clutch helps me avoid this problem.
I'll try out your method tomorrow on the way to Class and post back here. Thank you once again for the help. I appreciate it a lot.
Old 13th August 2016, 11:27   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel pump sound :

I had noticed sound from fuel pump inside tank. Normally, this sound is supposed to stop after few seconds. I had noticed this even when car was running. I had given the car for first service. I complained about fuel pump sound. SA accepted the issue and said Renault has modified fuel pump. Part was not in stock. Order is being placed and would be replaced under warranty.
Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 12:13   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Fuel pump sound :

I had noticed sound from fuel pump inside tank. Normally, this sound is supposed to stop after few seconds. I had noticed this even when car was running. I had given the car for first service. I complained about fuel pump sound. SA accepted the issue and said Renault has modified fuel pump. Part was not in stock. Order is being placed and would be replaced under warranty.
Did you check if there is any recall for fuel pump? Normally if there is a design change in any of the car components after field complaints (same as this case of fuel pump), manufacturers issue a recall. The service centres call the customer proactively for such recalls or have such parts replaced during scheduled service. Unlike folks here on TBHP, most of the customers don't have a keen ear for such sounds and may never notice this. Renault, better wake up and be proactive in issuing a recall if you want to capitalize on Kwid's success.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 12:17   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Did you check if there is any recall for fuel pump? Normally if there is a design change in any of the car components after field complaints (same as this case of fuel pump), manufacturers issue a recall. The service centres call the customer proactively for such recalls or have such parts replaced during scheduled service. Unlike folks here on TBHP, most of the customers don't have a keen ear for such sounds and may never notice this. Renault, better wake up and be proactive in issuing a recall if you want to capitalize on Kwid's success.
Renault should have recalled that particular batch of cars. They have modified the pump design now. But I think they are replacing it only for the customers who complain about it. Approximate cost is 3500 Rs for fuel pump in tank.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 12:22   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Renault should have recalled that particular batch of cars. They have modified the pump design now. But I think they are replacing it only for the customers who complain about it. Approximate cost is 3500 Rs for fuel pump in tank.
Other than the sound that you heard are there any other symptoms of pump malfunctioning? Also did you notice any issues in pick-up, jerks while accelerating etc? What are the other complaints from Kwid owners that point to a malfunctioning fuel pump.
Old 13th August 2016, 12:28   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Other than the sound that you heard are there any other symptoms of pump malfunctioning? Also did you notice any issues in pick-up, jerks while accelerating etc? What are the other complaints from Kwid owners that point to a malfunctioning fuel pump.
I did not notice any other symptoms. I guess service centre guys already know about it. They immediately accepted the issue and ordered new pump. I don't think it's a major problem. Anyways, I expect Renault to replace fuel pump for all customers of that particular batch. I don't think Renault would have replaced the pump if I did not complain. I am not sure if they are planning for a recall.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 07:35   #444

Quote:
The second incident happened when I went to the local market a few months back and has been occurring almost every other day now. As I reached the market, I hit the gas lightly but no response, the engine started vibrating a bit violently as if it would shut down. I floored the pedal, still no response from the engine, then after a while, the car responded to my throttle inputs. In some instances, my car engine used to get shut off also. Could any other KWID owners tell me whether they have been facing this issue as well? This issue crops up regardless of whether I have the A/C on or not, and happens only in the 1st gear when the car is being driven slowly.
For me this happens every three days or so when i am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. I first thought that due to long periods of idle, the engine isn't kicking back to life when i am giving a sudden throttle input. But yesterday, i switched off my engine at a signal and when the signal turned green, i started engine and slotted into first gear and even after depressing the accel pedal to 3/4ths of its travel, it didnt repond. I had initially thought there was some issue with the fuel. I have started using shell regularly now, even now the issue is persisting. Second service due in 2 months, have to take up the issue then.

I don't get a violent vibration as wadewilson gets though, it refuses to move and after a while, because of almost flooring the pedal, the car shoots forward suddenly. And in bengaluru, since all the signals are always placed uphill, it get's incredibly tricky to drive. and even more so when there are more than 3 people in the car.

Funny thing is, it happens only once every two to three days. Not able to understand why this is happening. Is it something similar to the ice cream-vapour lock GM car story or is there an issue with the clutch?
Old 19th August 2016, 12:31   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Hande View Post
I don't get a violent vibration as wadewilson gets though, it refuses to move and after a while, because of almost flooring the pedal, the car shoots forward suddenly. And in bengaluru, since all the signals are always placed uphill, it get's incredibly tricky to drive. and even more so when there are more than 3 people in the car.

Funny thing is, it happens only once every two to three days. Not able to understand why this is happening. Is it something similar to the ice cream-vapour lock GM car story or is there an issue with the clutch?
The kind of randomness of this issue and the fact that multiple users are facing this seems to suggest an ECU firmware bug.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 08:08   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Hande View Post
For me this happens every three days or so when i am stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

I don't get a violent vibration as wadewilson gets though, it refuses to move and after a while, because of almost flooring the pedal, the car shoots forward suddenly.

Funny thing is, it happens only once every two to three days. Not able to understand why this is happening.
It happened to me again yesterday as I drove to a nearby city for a Sunday drive. Thankfully, being a sunday there was relatively less traffic, but the car just gave up on me, as usual. Nowadays, I'm very alert about this, so as soon as I felt the power being lost, I slowly swerved to the side. Once parked, slammed the accelerator, no response, a few more seconds later, engine came to life and then everything was fine.

This is maddening sometimes, and I just drive the car really roughly when it happens. I know I shouldn't get pissed off at this but after waiting 7 months for the car to be delivered, and then getting a sub-par driving experience like this just dilutes the experience of owning a first car Don't know why I still love the car even with all its flaws
wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 12:54   #447
BHPian

That's some clever marketing and VFM Offering from Renault for the new Kwid 1.0 L engine unveiled today at just 22k premium over the 800 cc engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Kwid : Official Review-kwid_pricing.png  

soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 14:05   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It happened to me again yesterday as I drove to a nearby city for a Sunday drive. Thankfully, being a sunday there was relatively less traffic, but the car just gave up on me, as usual. Nowadays, I'm very alert about this, so as soon as I felt the power being lost, I slowly swerved to the side. Once parked, slammed the accelerator, no response, a few more seconds later, engine came to life and then everything was fine.

This is maddening sometimes, and I just drive the car really roughly when it happens. I know I shouldn't get pissed off at this but after waiting 7 months for the car to be delivered, and then getting a sub-par driving experience like this just dilutes the experience of owning a first car Don't know why I still love the car even with all its flaws
Take a video with running commentary explaining what exactly happens. Upload it to youtube and post the link here.

And then share this link with Renault service center. Tell them very specifically that this issue is being discussed in team-bhp and give them the link. Normally, people from automobile service centers take team-bhp discussions seriously.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2016, 17:44   #449
BHPian

Quote:

For this case , I can immediately associate my earlier experience with small gasoline vehicle ownership ( eon 1 litre ) . I had almost similar issue within 4000km running and once they cleaned the electronic throttle flap in service , I didn't have the problem later! Also please check for any ECU sw updates available during your next service.
vishnana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:03   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Take a video with running commentary explaining what exactly happens. Upload it to Youtube and post the link here.

And then share this link with Renault service center. Tell them very specifically that this issue is being discussed in team-bhp and give them the link. Normally, people from automobile service centers take team-bhp discussions seriously.
Thank you dear amalji. I'll take a video today regarding the issue. Hopefully, it's an ECU problem like you said and a simple firmware reset should solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
For this case , I can immediately associate my earlier experience with small gasoline vehicle ownership ( eon 1 litre ) . I had almost similar issue within 4000km running and once they cleaned the electronic throttle flap in service , I didn't have the problem later! Also please check for any ECU sw updates available during your next service.
I actually had no idea before that the ECU was this important in our cars Will definitely tell them to check for any firmware updates during next service. Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks