Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 08:39   #1621
BANNED

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Friends, sharing some good news.
All the owners who received the new part has reported that the wheel spin issue has been totally solved. Kudos to Mahindra.......
This is really good news and many owners would be greatly relieved (as is evident from the replies to your post!) by this initiative on M&M's part.
I find one thing baffling though. The differential in a car(specially the standard open differential as fitted to the vast majority of cars even today) is among the oldest and most tried & trusted of mechanical devices. It is jaw-dropping to believe that the differential in an M&M product could be so problematic as to need an MLD to rectify odd cases of abnormal wheel-spin - and M&M being so generous as to provide one free of charge!

Couldn't it also be a case of malfunctioning ABS ? - brake force being applied to a particular rear wheel without the driver using the brake pedal, due to the malfunction in the unit. This would tend to lock this particular wheel, while the other one would be free to spin once the threshold frictional coefficient between ground & tyre was breached.

Last edited by shashanka : 22nd May 2017 at 08:42.
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:39   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
...Couldn't it also be a case of malfunctioning ABS ? - brake force being applied to a particular rear wheel without the driver using the brake pedal, due to the malfunction in the unit. This would tend to lock this particular wheel, while the other one would be free to spin once the threshold frictional coefficient between ground & tyre was breached.
Hi Shashanka, apparently, this problem is not due to the differential or the ABS, this has got to do with the suspension setup in the vehicle (it is a bit stiff) which has limited vertical travel further compounded by its rear wheel drive setup. I have observed this issue with other vehicles including the Innova and Enjoy when they negotiate a tight turn on to an incline.

The MLD solution by Mahindra is indeed commendable since AFAIK this is a proper solution to the problem.

Do refer to pages 71 and 97 in this review thread for further info on this.

Cheers,
Sathya
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:22   #1623
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Hi Shashanka, apparently, this problem is not due to the differential or the ABS, this has got to do with the suspension setup in the vehicle (it is a bit stiff) which has limited vertical travel further compounded by its rear wheel drive setup. I have observed this issue with other vehicles including the Innova and Enjoy when they negotiate a tight turn on to an incline.
The MLD solution by Mahindra is indeed commendable since AFAIK this is a proper solution to the problem.
Do refer to pages 71 and 97 in this review thread for further info on this.
Cheers,
Sathya
Hi Sathya,
I'm glad you sent the above mail and yes, I've gone through the pages (71 & 97) you mentioned. I'm glad because I'm now getting the feedback straight from the victim himself, as you have faced this problem in all its glory!

And I believe you are right. In a set-up where the suspension is stiffer than usual (coupled with poor articulation of the rear wheels) even if the wheel is not fully airborne, the down force on the concerned wheel can reduce to a point (whereas the corresponding down force on the other wheel can increase proportionately) where wheel spin can occur.

In such a scenario, M&M having taken the stand that they have (free installation of the MLD) is definitely commendable. I wonder if I can slip in my old Scorpio for similar TLC!. Naaah, I'm only joking. Luckily I've not faced this issue yet.
Regards,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 12:51   #1624
BHPian

Went to service centre yesterday for the following changes-
1. MLD
2. Gear lever mounting.
3. Vacuum Modulators along with kit.

Reached workshop at 10 am and was free by 5:30 pm after all works are done.

Maximum time was taken for MLD change, it took around 4 hrs to take out and put a new one. Also its an expensive part and really a commendable job by Mahindra that they are doing it for free. The total cost of MLD kit is rs 73,500/-.

For the owners who are experiencing a "thud" noise below the gear lever,there is a new updated mounting part for the same. One can get it changed under warranty.
dieselburner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 15:08   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
1. MLD
2. Gear lever mounting.

Reached workshop at 10 am and was free by 5:30 pm after all works are done.

Maximum time was taken for MLD change, it took around 4 hrs to take out and put a new one. Also its an expensive part and really a commendable job by Mahindra that they are doing it for free. The total cost of MLD kit is rs 73,500/-.

For the owners who are experiencing a "thud" noise below the gear lever,there is a new updated mounting part for the same. One can get it changed under warranty.
Thank you so much for that update dieselburner. Looks like M&M is serious about the brand TUV and now that Bahubali-2 is a super duper hit, they might want to encash on its success. Nothing wrong in that so long as the customer is benefited.

Even I want all the above three things to be done in my tank, but then I have had my 20K service done just two months back, so don't want to visit the service centre so early. None of the above are serious issues that may hamper my day-to-day driving. Hence I will plan to get this attended at the 30K service (currently odo stands at 23K) or if there is any unplanned visit to the service centre, which I really pray should not happen in any case. The tank is chugging along graciously.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 16:36   #1626
BHPian

Even my TUVis up for 40k service, I specially went to get these things done before service so that if any problem occurs can be rectified when it goes for service after 10 days.

Attaching few pics of the changed parts-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you so much for that update dieselburner. Looks like M&M is serious about the brand TUV and now that Bahubali-2 is a super duper hit, they might want to encash on its success. Nothing wrong in that so long as the customer is benefited.

Even I want all the above three things to be done in my tank, but then I have had my 20K service done just two months back, so don't want to visit the service centre so early. None of the above are serious issues that may hamper my day-to-day driving. Hence I will plan to get this attended at the 30K service (currently odo stands at 23K) or if there is any unplanned visit to the service centre, which I really pray should not happen in any case. The tank is chugging along graciously.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_134514.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_134502.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_133724.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_133711.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_130315.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_130302.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_124438.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_113534.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20170523_111437.jpg  

dieselburner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:04   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even my TUVis up for 40k service, I specially went to get these things done before service so that if any problem occurs can be rectified when it goes for service after 10 days.

Attaching few pics of the changed parts-
That is a good strategy. Is the last picture in the post above the Gear lever mounting? Has it now eliminated the sound under gear lever/handbrake completely while going over bumps?
Old 24th May 2017, 17:07   #1628
BHPian

Yes, the last pic is of updated gear lever mounting. From yesterday I haven't heard that sound till now. Couple of days more in action and then it will be clear.
dieselburner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 17:47   #1629
BHPian

Quote:
On a side note, few days back I had sent a nasty e-mail to CUSTOMERCARE@mahindra.com, on Seat Belt issue on my TUV3OO-T8 not resolved since last 1.5 years.

Finally when the car was handed back to me, to my utter dismay the belts were still not retracting on their own.

I am planning to write back to the Area Manager- Customer Care and see what he has to say.
Quote:
Ditto here Autoindian. My driver side belt was replaced as it (strangely SA refused to accept that passenger side belt was not retracting) completely failed to retract about two months back, a new one was ordered and replaced but it's behaviour is only marginally better. I pointed out to the SA that it was due to the projection/ bulge in the lower half of the panel covering the seat belt and he accepted it. Most of the times I find the seat belt jammed between this panel and the seat.
AI, Sathya, got both the driver and passenger seat belts changed. The service personnel came to my office and did the exchange from the parking lot. So far it has been holding good and retracts well. Keeping fingers crossed that it remains that way.
Wonder how the rear seat belt quality would be, since they hardly are being used. I get the children to buckle up when on the long highway drives. Need to teach them to buckle up regularly when ever in the car.

Quote:
On the positive side, I purposefully did a 612 km run in the ECO mode . It really seems to work as far as a fuel consumption is concerned. The TUV returned a fuel consumption figures of 16.8kmpl with 3 adults and 3 kids with the boot loaded fully, AC working hard in Chennai and further south's heat and some bumper to bumper traffic for about 15 Km.
Sathya, you sure have a lot of patience to have done this. In the initial days of ownership I tried to drive on the ECO mode, but could not last for more than a few kilometers.
And now after fixing the RD tuning box and driving in P2, I cant bear driving with it removed. (I take it off when going to MASS ). So now I can not imagine going to ECO mode. But I still have to do it once, (in my BUCKET list) just to check what is the FE improvement going to be. I have not got more that 12 kmpl, the best, and the worst being something close to 10 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Friends, sharing some good news.

All the owners who received the new part has reported that the wheel spin issue has been totally solved. Kudos to Mahindra for providing a prompt and effective solution and as always, reacting positively to user's feedback and complaints. The replacement part is seemingly major and it is really appreciated that Mahindra has not only worked on the issue promptly but also did not shy away from providing this expensive fix to end customers totally free of cost under warranty.
This is real good news and thanx to Sathyasuri for keeping me informed on this. From the initial stages with the TUV, I have been trying all across to see if either a LSD or a MLD was available for the TUV. I had my share of tense moments with the TUV getting stuck badly a few times, and that too, with the family, the last being 2 weeks ago in Kerala, where I had to drop the left wheels off the narrow road to allow another car to pass, and we got stuck in the loose sand on the road side. Muscle power alone could not get us out and finally a combination of coconut leaves, small boulders and the muscles helped see the TUV get unstuck.
As someone had mentioned in some thread here, tried pumping the hand brake to try lock the free wheel and give power to the other wheel which was on the tarred road, but this too did not work.

Quote:
1. MLD
2. Gear lever mounting.
dieselburner, did you have to inform them earlier for the axle change. What was the procedure? Please PM if you do not want to put it up here.

Otherwise the TUV has been doing well, except for one new 'niggle', which I will mention below. Getting close to the 30K mark, and the 3rd service.

Did a 750 km, 2 stop (breakfast n lunch) drive from Chennai to Kasargod, Kerala 2 week back. The car behave well, did good speeds till Bangalore and then managed close to 100 kmph till Mysore. After that roads gets bad. Managed the stretch in 12 hrs including the stops. FE hovers just below 12 kmpl.

The new niggle - noticed water dripping into the cabin from the front panel and from somewhere close to the 'Bonnet Open' lever, when the car is washed. Happened to notice this drip after seeing the floor mat get wet. Both occasions were in the past 3 weeks, and the car was washed using a normal garden hose, and not a High Pressure wash. Need to check on this.

And Congratulations to the new TUV owners. Wishing you all miles of smiles, now that the majority of the initial TUVs faults have been rectified.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 06:25   #1630
BHPian

Recently went for 10k service. When I requested for MLD change for rear wheel spin issue and seat belt change, they flatly refused saying M&M had no such instruction for them. What's the way to get this done? Service center was Infinity Autolinks, Kurla, Mumbai
Old 25th May 2017, 08:32   #1631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that update dieselburner.When you say modulator + kit - what does the kit contain? All the vacuum hose?

Also do let us know the process for requesting an MLD change. Did you request MASS to get the part in advance and then schedule the replacement? I am sure my SA will not know about the replacement and hence any information on what "Proof" we need to share to get MASS to order the MLD and replace will be valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
dAfter that roads gets bad.
Did you take Madikeri - Jalasoor - Kasargod? Last I heard was that this route was good.

Quote:
The new niggle - noticed water dripping into the cabin from the front panel and from somewhere close to the 'Bonnet Open' lever, when the car is washed.
Did you get the AC vents cleaned? Asking this as I have observed that vent cleaning liquid/foam tends to drip from the driver side AC vent next to the driver side door. It drips all over the panels, fusebox and then onto the footmat. Do check and confirm.

Need to take my car for 30K service soon and I am still in 2 minds if I should get the MLD replaced as I dont want any new niggles to crop up after the change.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 08:52   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post
Recently went for 10k service. When I requested for MLD change for rear wheel spin issue and seat belt change, they flatly refused saying M&M had no such instruction for them. What's the way to get this done? Service center was Infinity Autolinks, Kurla, Mumbai
Usually if there is any recall or part replacement the company issues a TSB (Technical Service Bullettin). If M&M has not issued any such TSB all across the dealerships/ service centres then in all likelihood most of the service centres won't be even aware of such a replacement. From our group I believe fellow TBHPian's & TUV owners dieselburner and ezee have done this MLD retrofit and both of them have done in NCR. One request to both you guys, can you please check with your respective service centers if they have received any such TSB from M&M for MLD retrofitment. If yes then can you please get access of that TSB and share a copy over here. We can take that as a reference and show it to our respective service centers in case they are not aware about this TSB.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 25th May 2017 at 08:56.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 09:33   #1633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

Did you take Madikeri - Jalasoor - Kasargod? Last I heard was that this route was good.
Normally I divert from the Mysore - Madikeri road just short of Virajpet, and take the Irikur, Iritty and then get on to NH 17 at Taliparamba. This way I get to visit the in-laws too, who stay at Payyanur. If we do not plan a Payyanur stop, then it is the Mysore to Madikere, and then via Bhagamandala, Panathur and then to Kanhangad, the actual destination.
Pretty familiar with the Kanhangad to Madikeri route via Panathur, (have been doing this route on bikes n then cars since college days) so am comfortable driving through the narrow winding roads between Bhagamandala and Panathur.

Quote:
Did you get the AC vents cleaned? Asking this as I have observed that vent cleaning liquid/foam tends to drip from the driver side AC vent next to the driver side door. It drips all over the panels, fusebox and then onto the footmat. Do check and confirm.
No RJ, did not use any spray to clean the AC vents. It is water from the washing. Prior to these 2 occasion where I washed the car myself, I had got it washed at 3M. Probably their high pressure wash could have damaged or dislodged some rubber gasket or something similar. Need to get this checked up from the MASS.

Quote:
I am still in 2 minds if I should get the MLD replaced as I dont want any new niggles to crop up after the change.
Ya, particularly when the words 'TRIAL TUV3OO MLD' are boldly stickered on the axle.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 09:38   #1634
BHPian

Yes modulator + kit is both the vaccum modulators and the hose pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks for that update dieselburner.When you say modulator + kit - what does the kit contain? All the vacuum hose?

Also do let us know the process for requesting an MLD change. Did you request MASS to get the part in advance and then schedule the replacement? I am sure my SA will not know about the replacement and hence any information on what "Proof" we need to share to get MASS to order the MLD and replace will be valuable.

Need to take my car for 30K service soon and I am still in 2 minds if I should get the MLD replaced as I dont want any new niggles to crop up after the change.

There is no TSB for MLD retrofitment till now from M&M. It is done on trial basis for the customers who are raising the voice for wheel spinning issue.
It was confirmed to me by my service advisor. Also as per him, if it is successful (which it is till now without any niggles) then M&M can go for a recall but it will take time.
Also he said that all new TUV's rolling out now will have MLD fitted, again authenticity of this need to be checked.

For MLD change process you need to mail Mahindra customer care telling them issues with the TUV. They will connect you with your MASS and then they will follow up with you. Talking to MASS straight away for this will not yield any result.
In mine case they agreed without any fuss and told that part procurement will take 1 week, as soon as they got the part got a call from them and get it changed.

Quote:
Usually if there is any recall or part replacement the company issues a TSB (Technical Service Bullettin). If M&M has not issued any such TSB all across the dealerships/ service centres then in all likelihood most of the service centres won't be even aware of such a replacement. From our group I believe fellow TBHPian's & TUV owners dieselburner and ezee have done this MLD retrofit and both of them have done in NCR. One request to both you guys, can you please check with your respective service centers if they have received any such TSB from M&M for MLD retrofitment. If yes then can you please get access of that TSB and share a copy over here. We can take that as a reference and show it to our respective service centers in case they are not aware about this TSB.
dieselburner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 08:38   #1635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Ya, particularly when the words 'TRIAL TUV3OO MLD' are boldly stickered on the axle.
Exactly

Quote:
Yes modulator + kit is both the vaccum modulators and the hose pipes.
Why were the hose pipes changed along with the modulator? Asking as even I got them changed recently and that was because there was a drop in torque flow and the car felt very sluggish and my FE dropped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks