Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 19:18   #316
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandev View Post
A weekend getaway at Tapola with my family and my newly acquired RedBull.
Awesome pics! Wish you many happy miles.

I took the car to Matheran this weekend. And car performed really well with 6 passengers and luggage. It pulls like truck and is fun to drive.
The AMT performed as expected in the ghats never had any problems.
- TUV has loads of torque and climbing the Matheran ghat was piece of cake.
- I found that it is better to use the car in manual mode for switching between 1st and 2nd on really steep turns, as you can anticipate in advance how steep the climb is. AMT will do the job but it is with a bit delay and therefore the car speed is not constant.
- I drove on expressway and also old Mumbai-Pune highway. On expressway i.e. cement road the ride is bit harsh, it vibrates a lot and it is like getting a head massage.
- But on tar road no such problem was seen.
- Reaching 100kmph is not an issue at all.
silverknight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 21:10   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Awesome pics! Wish you many happy miles.

- I drove on expressway and also old Mumbai-Pune highway. On expressway i.e. cement road the ride is bit harsh, it vibrates a lot and it is like getting a head massage.
- But on tar road no such problem was seen.
- Reaching 100kmph is not an issue at all.
Thanks Silverknight!

I also experienced the same. The ride was bumpy on express way. After Lonavala ghat section, I checked the tyre pressure and found, increase in tyre pressure to 38-39 psi from its standard 35 psi (I always carry tyre pressure meter in my vehicle). I brought back the tyre pressure to 35 psi and the ride was back to normal. I feel we might need to keep tyre pressure to 32-33 psi so in long runs it maintain the required tyre pressure. But, I might switch to nitrogen very soon.
sandev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 23:30   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandev View Post
Thanks Silverknight!

I also experienced the same. The ride was bumpy on express way. After Lonavala ghat section, I checked the tyre pressure and found, increase in tyre pressure to 38-39 psi from its standard 35 psi (I always carry tyre pressure meter in my vehicle). I brought back the tyre pressure to 35 psi and the ride was back to normal. I feel we might need to keep tyre pressure to 32-33 psi so in long runs it maintain the required tyre pressure. But, I might switch to nitrogen very soon.
Well I already use nitrogen and I was thinking of reducing it to 32-33 psi. I will try that and let you know.
Old 24th November 2015, 10:58   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Mr.Mahindra takes delivery of his TUV 300.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 8078
Size:  379.5 KB

Name:  tuv1.PNG
Views: 8094
Size:  616.5 KB

Name:  tuv2.PNG
Views: 10886
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  tuv3.PNG
Views: 14472
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  tuv4.PNG
Views: 8030
Size:  656.6 KB

Source: https://twitter.com/anandmahindra
Dry Ice is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 11:15   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Well I already use nitrogen and I was thinking of reducing it to 32-33 psi. I will try that and let you know.
You should never under inflate tires for highway runs. Under inflated tires is the number one cause of tire bursts.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 13:42   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
You should never under inflate tires for highway runs. Under inflated tires is the number one cause of tire bursts.

I don't know why people feel that tyre-burst is like a balloon burst (balloon happens due to over inflation).

Tyre burst happens due to low pressure which causes the tyres to undergo expansion contraction hysteresis and overheat locally. This makes the rubber structure weak.

In fact an over inflated tyre will try to remain rigid like a rock and thus reduces the overheat and hysteresis (and consequent weakening of the material) but of course that will be uncomfortable.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 14:01   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

I don't know why people feel that tyre-burst is like a balloon burst (balloon happens due to over inflation).

Tyre burst happens due to low pressure which causes the tyres to undergo expansion contraction hysteresis and overheat locally. This makes the rubber structure weak.

In fact an over inflated tyre will try to remain rigid like a rock and thus reduces the overheat and hysteresis (and consequent weakening of the material) but of course that will be uncomfortable.
Well said.

I can give an analogy - take a piece of rigid wire - bend it - straighten it - keep repeating - the bend will become real hot and finally it will break! The same thing happens with the tyre wall.

One small addition - it does not mean that higher pressure will not cause bursting! Beyond one point - if the pressure is high and if the tyre hits something (like bump, speed breaker, stone, etc), then the flexibility normally available will be absent and the sudden rise in pressure can cause the tyre to explode.

Similarly, I read a report some time back that on cement roads, if a car is driven fast, the temperature rises to just below 100 degrees C! In that case, if the tyre pressure is high to start with, then it might cross the threshold and explode.

However, as far as I know, you are right and the most common reason for highway tyre bursts is low pressure.
Old 24th November 2015, 14:08   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Well said.

I can give an analogy - take a piece of rigid wire - bend it - straighten it - keep repeating - the bend will become real hot and finally it will break! The same thing happens with the tyre wall.

However, as far as I know, you are right and the most common reason for highway tyre bursts is low pressure.
Spot on. Just today morning I saw an episode of "Street Genius" on NatGeo/Discovery.
The guy inflated a SUV tyre with max rating of 55 PSI to 350+ PSI before it burst. Ofcourse in case of a rolling tyre supporting the weight of the vehicle and also rubbing against the tarmac put additional forces.

Its better to err on the side of high pressure than low pressure.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 14:27   #324
Senior - BHPian

Friends, time for some mathematics

Today morning on the way to my office, I had the opportunity to do my second tankful. Hence tanked up Normal Diesel from the Shell bunk, near Hotel Kalasagar, Old Mum-Pune highway, manual top-up after auto cutoff. The Orange tank gulped 48.16 litres of diesel and it had run 648 kms since the previous tankful, giving me a fuel efficiency figure of 13.46kmpl. This is not bad at all considering my car is yet to hit the highway on long drives. All the 648 kms running was within the city, with 100% AC, 90% of that home-office-home commutes. Some other pointers.
  • Only once I tried using the Eco mode (for @ 10kms). Due to the poor throttle response, I won't ever use it at least in city driving
  • Majority of the times I kept the AC blower speed @ #1, rarely at position #2
  • Due to the cold weather and during my return trips from office to home falling between 10-11pm, I keep the AC on Eco AC mode, meaning the compressor cut-off is more frequent, which might be aiding to better FE figures
What did I learn about my TUV today #4: 24-Nov-2015

In the morning, when I gave the ignition, the low fuel warning lamp flashed on the instrument cluster and the DTE was showing a range of 150km. When I did the tankful, it gulped 48.16 litres of diesel in a 60 litres capacity tank. This meant there was (60-48.16) = 11.84 litres of diesel in the tank. So the FE calculated by the car's computer comes out to be 150/11.84 = 12.7 kmpl, which is quite close to my tankful calculation of 13.46 kmpl. This also means that the car's DTE calculation is on the conservative side, which is good.

When I did the tankful the DTE shot upto 907km. Considering a 60L tank, the car's computer calculated the FE to 15.1 kmpl. When I covered a distance of 8-10kms after the tankful, the DTE range began shooting up slowly and went upto 925 kms. Sharing some pictures of the DTE

5kms after doing the tankful DTE shot up from 907km to 912km
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151124_120108.jpg

11kms after doing the tankful DTE shot up from 921km
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151124_121756.jpg

13kms after doing the tankful DTE shot up from 925km

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20151124_122418.jpg

I think the car's ECU slowly adapts to your driving style and calculates the DTE accordingly

Another thing I noticed, when the fuel tank is filled to its capacity, 8 bars light up on the fuel gauge. Now if this corresponds to a 900km range, each bar would stand for 900/8 = 112kms or 60/8 = 7.5 litres of fuel. So the moment one bar vanishes, it means you have consumed 7.5 litres of fuel and covered a distance of approximately 100-115 kms.

If you have a different opinion or any other observation please do share here.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 14:37   #325
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if the news is already shared here or not. My cousin works with one of M&M company which is supplier to main M&M Chakan plant where TUV gets manufactured, he shared me news that TUV 300 is coming with more powerful engine soon. Its under test now and will be launched early next year. Mahindra got feedback that TUV has less power, so they are rectifying it. He told new engine will be approx 100 BHP. No other changes.

Actually I also spotted few TUV's doing tests on Mumbai-Pune highways few times & was wondering why its still under test when the vehicle is already launched. Those must be with new engine for sure.

Last edited by aniketi : 24th November 2015 at 14:39.
aniketi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 15:47   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
This may sound silly, but I have a question for everyone. Does your M&M service centre has a different lounge for XUV customers? Two different lounges !! I haven't experienced this in any other car manufacturer's service centre. An ordinary lounge for other customers and a plush lounge for XUV customers. Here's a picture of the customer lounge and the notice at the entrance. I've merged the pictures. I'm just curious to know why the discrimination?
That is M&M's answer to Maruti Suzuki's "NEXA" brand of showrooms!

Last edited by MunnabhaiMBBS : 24th November 2015 at 15:48.
MunnabhaiMBBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 16:34   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Mr.Mahindra takes delivery of his TUV 300.

Attachment 1442871

Attachment 1442872

Source: https://twitter.com/anandmahindra
Tank looks good in Combat Green color. Mahindra should offer this as standard option instead of going for custom order option.

Is it lightning that's playing tricks or is the color different to the one shown at the time of launch. The color in the latest pics looks better for me and looks darker. The muddy one from the below pic is from the launch event looks to be of lighter shade.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv2.jpg
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 18:07   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Is it lightning that's playing tricks or is the color different to the one shown at the time of launch. The color in the latest pics looks better for me and looks darker. The muddy one from the below pic is from the launch event looks to be of lighter shade.
I think this is the Rocky Beige color that comes in Thar (earlier used to come in Scorpio as well).

The latest pics are in shade and after a proper wash and shine session maybe. That's why it appears darker IMO.
Old 24th November 2015, 18:24   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
TUV 300 is coming with more powerful engine soon. Its under test now and will be launched early next year. Mahindra got feedback that TUV has less power, so they are rectifying it. He told new engine will be approx 100 BHP.
If this is true, I am glad I did not book one. I was very skeptical considering no vehicles from Mahindra were a success at the first shot from the day of the launch. Personally I wont mind an under powered car as I am not a speed freak. But I will certainly not like to own a car which the company discontinues immediately thinking they can do better.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 24th November 2015 at 18:27.
Old 24th November 2015, 20:22   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
If this is true, I am glad I did not book one. I was very skeptical considering no vehicles from Mahindra were a success at the first shot from the day of the launch. Personally I wont mind an under powered car as I am not a speed freak. But I will certainly not like to own a car which the company discontinues immediately thinking they can do better.
Hey TaurusAl, no car manufacturer would ever discontinue a newly launched car within couple of months from its launch, certainly not M&M. If the car is an utter failure (technically) or if it is a pricing disaster and subsequent price cuts won't help it move off from the showrooms, only then will a company discontinue a car e.g. Nissan Evalia. When a car is averaging 4.5K units of sale per month, no manufacturer is foolish to discontinue its production, case in point is TUV. But yes M&M may be thinking of retuning the same engine to produce more power, but that would be at the expense of low end torque and drivability. Currently these two are the biggest USPs of this car and I doubt M&M will fiddle with that.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks