Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 19:58   #346

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

I came to the conclusion it was "Army Green" because of the matt finish. Royal Enfield for example does not sell army green to Civilians. They export "Battle Green" to California!! When the gloss level increases or the shade changes it becomes legal. There is nothing wrong in showing an aspirational color during launch, this creates hype.
Old 29th November 2015, 23:51   #347

Finally she is in! After a veiled threat to my dealer that if I did not get what I wanted by first week of December I was cancelling my order and his assurance that it was coming by 29th. On AutoIndian's suggestion a mail to customer care to confirm that titbit. A confirmation mail was received from the ASM, Hyderabad tracing out the movement of the vehicle and a call on 27th that the vehicle had arrived at Tirupati and please pay the money. Again, on AutoIndian's advice 95% RTGSed and on Saturday morning I was at the showroom. Out of the 50 plus TUVs sold by the dealer, mine was the first AMT sold in the whole district of Chittoor, Andhra Pradesh!
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-wp_20151128_17_52_34_pro.jpg
The Sales staff of Balajee Agencies received my wife and I very courteously and the paper work for TR was initiated. After lunch the keys were ceremoniously handed over to my wife.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-wp_20151128_14_16_08_pro.jpg
I was briefed extensively about the vehicle. I could understand the briefing as most of it tallied with my knowledge of my erstwhile XYLO (A beaut of a vehicle that one was. This was the first few XYLOs that came out, the E series, before Mahindra played around with the D series and finally ended up with nondescript Quanto ). We drove out and I gingerly eased her through the traffic of Tirupathi. And then the 130 kms journey to my hometown , Madanapalle, began. In no time she made me feel very comfortable with her, except when braking the left leg would lift to press a non-existent clutch pedal! She handled beautifully with oodles of power and adapted well to my playing around with the A pedal getting the feel of her. Once you tuned in to the faint engine noise, then depressing or releasing the A pedal, keeping an eye on the RPM guage, was quite easy. (Am an old jet fighter aviator and hence the synergy between engine noise, RPM and throttle movement.) She took the 10 minute minor ghat at Bakrapet with ease. On straight stretches I took her upto 100 keeping the RPM below 2300 ( that setting was maintained throughout the trip )and she responded like a gem. Very smooth over potholes and very stable in turns. It was a pleasure driving her in the 2 hour run to our home. The gears changed automatically and seamlessly and …. and well I just loved the way she performed – this is my first automatic and so you will have to pardon my going overboard!
Oh yes, the aircon is a killer. I drove with the control knob turned towards the tapering end of the green as more green would have frozen me to death!
Safely home.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-wp_20151128_17_50_32_pro.jpgMahindra TUV300 : Official Review-wp_20151128_18_22_43_pro.jpg
And the first accessory.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-wp_20151129_09_07_19_pro.jpg
By the way, I like my music and IMHO the system that is in this vehicle is good. In the EQ options I play music in the Retro mode and, wow, and playback has real depth in it.
For fence sitters, the T8 AMT is a beautiful vehicle. All those MT guys, go for the AMT – that 70,000 extra is worth it. You’ll love the extra features that it has. Real value for money.
injun269 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 04:26   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun269 View Post
Finally she is in!
Congratulations injun269 on the AMT tank, and glad you are enjoying it.

Just found this video by Mahindra on how to drive the AMT. Sharing it here and would like to know whether the uphill starts on manual, as mentioned in the video, holds the tank from rolling back when the brakes are released.

CAPTAIN REX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 09:03   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Congratulations injun269 on the AMT tank, and glad you are enjoying it.

Just found this video by Mahindra on how to drive the AMT. Sharing it here and would like to know whether the uphill starts on manual, as mentioned in the video, holds the tank from rolling back when the brakes are released.
The TUV does roll back on uphill starts. That infact is my major grouse with the AMT. If you are stuck on an incline in bumper to bumper traffic, the whole releasing handbrake and giving just the right amount of throttle (so that you do not bump the vehicle in front) can be quite irritating.

By the time you do this circus, a rick or a biker will squeeze in between the gap. The AMT surely needs the hill hold function from the XUV.

Also, the video mentions "creep" function. During my TD, the TUV did not move when I released the brake. Problem is, unless one is totally accustomed to the vehicle, driving the TUV AMT in tight traffic is a pain since you are not sure how much the vehicle will accelerate based on the throttle input.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th November 2015 at 09:25. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 09:06   #350
BHPian

Hi,

I visited Koncept in Noida yesterday. He is selling T8 for 9.54L on-road, is this the right price? In the beginning of this thread I read somewhere that it's 9.34L.

And he is offering no discounts; usually all manufacturers offer year-end discounts. Any idea about other dealers?

Cheers

Nitin
Old 30th November 2015, 10:19   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The TUV does roll back on uphill starts. That infact is my major grouse with the AMT.
Using handbrakes would help in holding the roll back. Having hill hold would have helped, however, this is just a matter of getting used to the driving mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Also, the video mentions "creep" function. During my TD, the TUV did not move when I released the brake. Problem is, unless one is totally accustomed to the vehicle, driving the TUV AMT in tight traffic is a pain since you are not sure how much the vehicle will accelerate based on the throttle input.
Creep mode gets activated when you are neither in A or M mode. I guess you would have selected one of them, hence vehicle did not move. Regardless to TUV, any new vehicle you take a week or two to get accustomed and then you pull on.
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 15:04   #352
BHPian

What is the FE of the AMT Model, is it in double digit?

Also how reliable is the AMT box in long run, my I10 AT has been running without any engine or transmission issues for the 6th year now, can I expect the same on AMT and M&M products?
Old 30th November 2015, 16:40   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
What is the FE of the AMT Model, is it in double digit?

Also how reliable is the AMT box in long run, my I10 AT has been running without any engine or transmission issues for the 6th year now, can I expect the same on AMT and M&M products?
AMT gives around 14kmpl in city, my AMT has done 2000kms so far.
M&M already provides extended warranty till 5th year, that shows their confidence in the product.
M&M service/customer care is class apart.
silverknight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 20:10   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
AMT gives around 14kmpl in city, my AMT has done 2000kms so far.
M&M already provides extended warranty till 5th year, that shows their confidence in the product
M&M service/customer care is class apart.
Thanks Silverknight for the info, really helps to take a decision on the car. Given the 7.5-8.5 from my i10 AT, i think this is a huge number in terms of FE

Though i am not sure if TUV will suit me, the the number of new cars here is making me look again at TUV. I did a TD of TUV and felt the steering to be heavy and had to put some effort but now will do a TD again.
My other AT cars in mind are Jazz, Aspire, Ertiga, Excent.

Just a quick question to all the folks here,
1. will TUV be a vehicle of choice for a 20km commute on a daily basis, is there any minimum kms that a diesel car needs to run.
2. How is the seating in TUV, is it ideal for travelling for an hour or so, does it cause any back pain or make you tired?
3. How comfortable are the second row passengers in a long distance travel?
ikoneer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 22:36   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Silverknight for the info, really helps to take a decision on the car. Given the 7.5-8.5 from my i10 AT, i think this is a huge number in terms of FE

Though i am not sure if TUV will suit me, the the number of new cars here is making me look again at TUV. I did a TD of TUV and felt the steering to be heavy and had to put some effort but now will do a TD again.
My other AT cars in mind are Jazz, Aspire, Ertiga, Excent.

1. will TUV be a vehicle of choice for a 20km commute on a daily basis, is there any minimum kms that a diesel car needs to run.
2. How is the seating in TUV, is it ideal for travelling for an hour or so, does it cause any back pain or make you tired?
Quote from the Official Review:
{Rear seat is F-L-A-T. Backrest should have been set at a more reclined angle:}

I share the same feeling from my short ride in the backseat of TUV during a TD.

Below are my notes shared after my TD.

Quote:
Few small things that Mahindra should do immediately on TUV300.

Easy removal of Jump Seats to facilitate more luggage space. Although the jump seats can be removed by removing the screws supporting them, I'm looking for some kind of lever mechanism to remove the seats (like in Lodgy). Also seat belts for the Jump seats.
Reclining option for the Rear Seat when jump seats are removed
Split Rear Seat for additional flexibility of luggage
But i'll let TUV owners comment on how they felt during long distance travel.
Old 1st December 2015, 08:03   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I doubt it's illegal. If so, the company would have never given that color option while launching. Even XUV500 initially came in that color and the reason for taking it off was given as "low booking numbers". If it was legal issues because of which M&M stopped in on XUV 500, then this would have never made into TUV 300 at all.
Exact shade of military green is illegal in India, infact RTO will not register such a colored vehicle, even if you have repainted the color later. That's why any manufacturer will not release army green shade, one can opt for variants of the shade, may be in metallic or a mix of gray green etc, but not pure army green.
Side note: If you buy an army surplus vehicle (say a 4x4 jeep) in the army shade or camouflage color you need to repaint it before it can be registered as a civilian vehicle.
One of the millions of idiotic rules we Indians put up with

Last edited by apachelongbow : 1st December 2015 at 08:05.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 10:55   #357
BHPian

My Tank has done 2750 kms and will be due for first service in a 3 days.
The vacuum modulator has been changed and the work was done precisely in 30 mins time (drive in to workshop and drive out), so all in all an impressed first visit to workshop. FE is hovering around at 14.77 to 14.90.
nishant kar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 11:09   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
I haven't experienced this in any other car manufacturer's service centre. An ordinary lounge for other customers and a plush lounge for XUV customers. I'm just curious to know why the discrimination?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
That's marketing. MM is a company that is/was famous for tractors and a plethora of other vehicles that fishermen folks, traders and poultry wholesalers would love to own and operate.
Buttt the comparison ends there. MM ensures, albeit subtly, that a Cheetah owner will never have to stand in queue along with the aforesaid class of people. A brilliant move that, IMHO Tata should too have implemented for their Safari/Aria owners.
I appreciate your time for answering the question. Thank you Sandeep. But you didn't get the question right. The issue is not with two lounges, it's fair enough to have multiple lounges. But let the "quality" of the lounges be the same, so that other customers do not feel "belittled" when they walk into the service centre. This is not a big deal indeed. But I believe, no matter how good the product is, it's basically the after sales service/ customer service which is crucial for any company's growth and credibility. What is more important is, to treat every customer with equal amount of respect, be it a truck owner or a cheetah owner. This is just my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by injun269 View Post
Finally she is in! For fence sitters, the T8 AMT is a beautiful vehicle. All those MT guys, go for the AMT – that 70,000 extra is worth it. You’ll love the extra features that it has. Real value for money.
Congratulations on your new tank injun269 !! Wishing you happy miles ahead !!

Quote:
Hope this information will be useful to you ikoneer :
  1. I don't think there is any minimum Kms that a diesel car needs to run everyday. However, other TUV owners will be more knowledgeable than me to answer this question. My daily usage is less than 4 Kms. But I love travelling and exploring new places and hence do a lot of intra-state and inter-state trips in a year. So basically, in a year I cover more than 15000 Kms. In that sense, diesel car works out good for me.
  2. The driver's seat in TUV300 T8 variant is exceptional. Equipped with arm rest, height adjustment and lumbar support, driving a TUV is a pleasure. I have driven the tank 7 hours at a stretch ( with only a 20 min snack break) on the highway and I didn't feel any discomfort, pain or exhaustion. But it is important to figure out the right driving position.
  3. The second row can accommodate three adults comfortably. Legroom and headroom are adequate but it lacks under thigh support. If the second row occupants are tall, then lack of good under thigh support would be a hindrance. In my family, everyone is below 5ft 7in. Initially, I felt that the second row seats were not well reclined. But now I don't sense any discomfort. Also, my parents( both 60 plus) were quite comfortable in the second row seats during our last long trip.
Titanium is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 13:01   #359
BHPian

Came across an AMT review on Zigwheels. thought of sharing.

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/23768/
cmayur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:34   #360
BHPian

Booked a black T8 (manual) today. Will get the delivery on next Wednesday i.e. 9th December.
ntomer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks