Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2016, 14:19   #841
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
I don't think so this could be alone a reason to discard any brand as this happens with almost every company
Yes I agree. Issue is my wife drives the qualis and the tank will be for her and I need to be sure am not putting her in possible harms way...
Old 5th March 2016, 19:27   #842
BHPian

Got my OBD 2 adapter today; I had ordered on ebay on Thursday.

Thank you A4anurag and Sathyasuri for your inputs on this thread.

Connected the adapter to the tank and it was easy to pair it from the Bluetooth settings on the phone. Downloaded 2 Apps from Android Play Store to try - Torque (free version) and OBD Doctor. Both applications recognized and hooked on to the adapter in a few seconds.

The adapter I bought -

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160305_151543.jpg

In case anyone needs help, the OBD 2 port is on the left bottom corner behind the panel under the steering (as marked in this pic).

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160305_153912.jpg

There is a cap that needs to be removed. A plastic string holds the cap once removed.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160305_153456.jpg

Screenshot from Torque (Free) App -

Name:  Screenshot_20160305162036.png
Views: 4666
Size:  234.9 KB

Screenshots from OBD Doctor below.

Fuel consumption in liters per hour (at idling) -

Name:  Screenshot_20160305163525.png
Views: 4641
Size:  76.3 KB

Barometric pressure from vehicle -

Name:  Screenshot_20160305163628.png
Views: 4639
Size:  72.3 KB

No errors in the log currently.

Name:  Screenshot_20160305163609.png
Views: 4644
Size:  19.3 KB

Just as Sathyasuri mentioned in his post, I found the Torque (free version) App a little cluttered and less user friendly. I know this is the most popular App out there for OBD and guess the pro version is much better. I believe it you can record a video of your drive (like a dash cam) with an overlay of vital stats.

OBD Doctor's interface was better and I am planning to try Bosch's Fun 2 Drive. I'll record some trip details and post here later.
rajpvrm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 20:30   #843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
Got my OBD 2 adapter today; I had ordered on ebay on Thursday.
Got mine today as well but unable to connect my Mi4i (running Andorid 5.0.2) to the OBD adapter. Planning to check with a couple of other phones and if it doesn't connect, then will have to send this back and ask for a replacement.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 23:22   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Congrats rishee & hope you have a great delivery experience. You might want to check for quotes from online insurance portals as they are much lower than what the dealer quotes. I got my zero dep insurance for the T8 Manual at 25K.
The original quote from the dealer was around 37K for comprehensive insurance and another 6.5K for zero dep. I got the quote online and then the dealer matched it. I guess the one you got for 25K must have a few things missed from the cover. Can you tell me what all is covered?
Old 6th March 2016, 01:26   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post
The original quote from the dealer was around 37K for comprehensive insurance and another 6.5K for zero dep. I got the quote online and then the dealer matched it. I guess the one you got for 25K must have a few things missed from the cover. Can you tell me what all is covered?
For mine T8 AMT dealer initially quoted 36K but later matched to online quote of 24K without any question. Finally given me at 23800 from ICICI Lombard.
Old 6th March 2016, 14:55   #846
BHPian

New day new problem.

Yesterday when I started engine for the first time in the afternoon I observed engine producing strange loud sound, just like a tata 407 or marshal. The sound was coming from engine bay, very noticeable at low speeds and while accelerating. Since I was going to showroom for seatcovers so decided to complain then n there only.

Called advisor and explained what I felt. They said its better to send a mail to sales head, GM and CRM head including mahindra CC to take this matter on priority with other ongoing problems of jerks etc.

So i got a call in couple of hours from service head and fixed appointment for Tuesday. Let's see what comes out.

But that loud sound was no where when I started back from showroom... Strange!

Again today morning in my society i met a person who recently bought AMT, came forward to talk to me by seeing me next to my TUV. He also has similar loud sound complaints but when technicians come to check, the sound is gone.

This is happening once in a while, mostly first start of the day but not able to reproduce when techs come.
ezee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 15:16   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday when I started engine for the first time in the afternoon I observed engine producing strange loud sound, just like a tata 407 or marshal. The sound was coming from engine bay, very noticeable at low speeds and while accelerating. Since I was going to showroom for seatcovers so decided to complain then n there only.

But that loud sound was no where when I started back from showroom... Strange!

Again today morning in my society i met a person who recently bought AMT, came forward to talk to me by seeing me next to my TUV. He also has similar loud sound complaints but when technicians come to check, the sound is gone.

This is happening once in a while, mostly first start of the day but not able to reproduce when techs come.
Hey ezee, I faced exactly the same problem couple of days back, March 1st to be precise. For me too it was during the first start of the day @ 08:30 am. Quoting below from my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Today morning when I started for office, I had decided to do a tankful at the Shell bunk, which is 7kms from my home on the way to office. When I started the car I observed the engine sound is higer than normal. I thought it might be due to the cold engine. However along with increased sound I also observed loss of power. As soon I would reach the 1500 rpm mark on the tacho, instead of hearing the sweet turbo whistle, I would hear some gruff sound & feel that the car is not pulling as expected. This continued for the next 3-4 kms till I reached the bunk. Did a tankful, 46.11 litres for a distance of 647 kms (giving a mileage of 14.03 kmpl. After I did the tankful the car/ engine started behaving normally. I muted the radio to listed to the turbo whistle & it was back, now there was no hesitation at the 1500 rpm mark. For the next 14 odd kms, it was a perfect drive.
In the last 4 days and 200 odd kms, this problem has not resurfaced (I am keeping my fingers crossed). Hence I have not raised it yet with my service centre. If it occurs again, then definitely I will have to. Meanwhile let us know your findings.
Old 6th March 2016, 15:55   #848

Quote:
Hi All AMT users

I tried sending PMs to couple of members but i doubt if it actually went. As its not showing under sent messages.

But anyways here is my concern :

I too have an AMT model delivered on 16 Feb and would like to ask you for your opinion related to jerks.

I am experiencing jerks on low speeds while driving in 1 or 2nd gear or creep function. The jerks are like mild ones which feels like clutch depress jerks. Is this a normal behaviour of AMT or something is wrong with me?

This starts happening when i drive for more than 8 - 10 kms.

Please share your views.
Yes, I have an AMT, and in the initial stages I did feel that also. Usually as you go over a speed breaker or you have braked behind another vehicle which has abruptly braked. The thing is that you have the A pedal pressed whereas the computer is shifting down from 2nd to 1st and now the computer has to suddenly respond to depressed pedal requirement. Another case is that it has changed down to 1st and you think you are in 2nd (you are looking outside remember) and you hurriedly press the A pedal. Then you'll get the jerk. Nurse the throttle to match the gear and you'll have a smooth ride all the time. I also had a problem with the reverse gear. You press the A pedal, nothing happens for a few seconds and then she just takes off and you are hurriedly braking to control the fast reverse. Got used to now giving the right amount of throttle and now she reverses smoothly. Cheers.
injun269 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 16:42   #849

Quote:
Hey ezee, I faced exactly the same problem couple of days back, March 1st to be precise. For me too it was during the first start of the day @ 08:30 am. Quoting below from my post

In the last 4 days and 200 odd kms, this problem has not resurfaced (I am keeping my fingers crossed). Hence I have not raised it yet with my service centre. If it occurs again, then definitely I will have to. Meanwhile let us know your findings.
I faced this issue almost 6-7 times before the first service (@3500 km). It was intermittent and could not be reproduced whenever I took the car to the service center.

During first service, the ECU was flashed and the service advisor told me that now the problem would be resolved. I was kind of hopeful and with time had almost believed that the problem was gone but yesterday, I again ended up in the same situation. My odo is now at around 4600 and I will write to Mahindra Customer Care about the problem and the workshops are not able to diagnose it. In my case it is accompanied by a observable loos of power in lower rpm range and like many of you the problem comes when the TUV is used after a long idle time (for me it has mostly happened in the evening while returning from office).

In case anybody is able to get this problem diagnosed/fixed, please do share it here.
rohit_11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 00:05   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_11 View Post
(for me it has mostly happened in the evening while returning from office)
I had the same problem, after replacement of vacuum resonator in early February, the extra noise is gone, however still sometimes while returning from office, I feel engine noise is little more.

On Saturday, Sireesh Auto Service centre people called me for ECU software update. On Sunday, I have driven 100+ kms, did not hear any noticeable engine noise. Keeping finger crossed.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 14:16   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday when I started engine for the first time in the afternoon I observed engine producing strange loud sound, just like a tata 407 or marshal. The sound was coming from engine bay, very noticeable at low speeds and while accelerating.
Quote:
Hey ezee, I faced exactly the same problem couple of days back, March 1st to be precise.
My tank always sounds like a Tempo Traveler, if not Tata 407, for initial few Kms when the engine is cold. Fortunately, there's no loss of power and the noise levels in the cabin are bearable. I have started to believe that this is normal operation. Nevertheless, it gets added to my list of points to be checked during first service (due in ~700 Km) -
  1. Occasional vibrations on A-pedal
  2. Rear windshield water spray not working
  3. Suspension feels hard - check if it's normal
  4. Driver side seat belt losing tension
  5. Slow response in reverse gear when engine is cold
  6. High noise levels when engine is cold

I have not faced other issues reported here (fingers crossed) like - jerks during creep (AMT), loss of engine power at 1.5K RPM etc. and the overall ride quality, pick up and control are excellent.

On a different note, I spent a lot of time with my new OBD 2 adapter last weekend. Tried several free apps like Fun2Drive, Scan Master Lite, OBD Car Doctor, DashCommand and finally decided to go for Torque Pro (INR 250 on Android Play Store).

Torque Pro is way better than Torque (Free) and has several options to try. Downloaded the Track Recorder plugin which allows you to record video of your drive (like a dashcam) with an overlay of stats you choose. Spent some time designing my overlay and then did a few test drives.

I found surprising results; experts on this forum can add their views.

Some points and screenshots from the video below. I’ll try and upload the full video later (you have to install a plugin on your PC to export videos from Torque Pro).
  1. The Engine RPM data was very consistent with the tachometer and the trip max and min are in decent range.
  2. The max speed I touched was 107 Kmph, and this was consistent with the speedometer. The RPM data was in comfortable range and tank had enough breath left to probably go up to may be 125-130 without struggle.
  3. The surprising part was the Horse Power and Torque. Please note, the Horse Power was calculated at wheel (and not at engine flywheel) which as per info available online is lesser by 15-20%.

When I just started the trip, the instantaneous fuel consumption went up to a staggering 81.4 kpl. This could be some inconsistent data. At this time the HP, Torque, RPM, Speed and Engine Load were all at low levels. The Fuel Flow per Minute (Bottom Right, second from Right) was also at low level.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160308-13.10.13.jpg

When I was at my max speed of 107 kmph, the HP and Torque levels were still very low. Also, the engine load was low and the tank was cruising smoothly. Interestingly, instantaneous fuel consumption was a happy 15.3, consistent with a highway cruise.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160308-13.09.47.jpg

When I slowed down later to ~35 kmph, the engine load shot up and but the torque and HP were at low levels. RPM was in control. Also, consistent with the instantaneous fuel consumption the fuel flow per minute was also very high.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160308-13.09.31.jpg

At one point, when I was at ~90 kmph, with RPM of 2.4K and engine load of 26%, the HP and Torque were almost zero. Could be an issue with OBD reader or sensors? Or can this be correct?

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160308-13.09.13.jpg

At almost the end of the 8 Km test trip, the stats were as below. There were some issues with data as well - for e.g. the below screenshot says the max HP was 38.4, but it actually went up to 48 (see previous image). The Torque didn't cross 160. At most times I looked at the screen, the RPM was consistent with the tachometer, but the max figure is a little surprising at 2.8K as the gearshifts in AMT sometimes happen at around 3.5K. Will check this again in my next test drive.

Coolant temperature was consistent and in range throughout. For a Sunday afternoon pleasant drive the trip kpl was disappointingly low at 9.4 kmpl.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160308-13.08.27.jpg
rajpvrm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 19:26   #852
BANNED

Quote:
the HP and Torque were almost zero. Could be an issue with OBD reader or sensors? Or can this be correct?
Hey Raj,

Look at this link below to get the correct ways for Horsepower and Torque.

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Horsepower
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 21:22   #853
BHPian

Quote:
My tank ...

When I just started the trip, the instantaneous fuel consumption went up to a staggering 81.4 kpl. This could be some inconsistent data.
Hi rajpvrm

The data of the instantaneous FE is correct. The range of the IFE even for my polo is 5 kmpl to 85 kmpl

Next time request you to note the % of accelerator pedal input.

You will note that when the acc-ped input is low (5-10% pressed) the instantaneous FE will shoot up drastically, irrespective of the gear. This is because of the accelerator pedal vs fueling input map developed for the vehicle to achieve the Highway FE figures. Once you cross this threshold, the FE figure will drop.

Also if you drop too low, the idling fueling will increase to maintain the engine rpm and prevent stalling.
If you disengage the clutch and let it idle it will return to the normal idling ma

I have observed that if I drive any car in the 5-10% levels of the accelerator input, I get a super FE

not boasting but sharing some of my FE records on Highways with AC off on similar routes

Ciaz- 27.3, GT TSI- 21.8 Scorpio (old) 18.7 Scorpio (new) 19.8 Verito-29.6 TUV300- 19.3 Quanto-18.3 Indica (v2 refresh after 9 years) 18.4

Request you to get back on the Pedal vs Instant FE readings. Possibly we may be able to make a trend out of it and crack the engine map

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 8th March 2016 at 21:26.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 07:13   #854
BHPian

Finally I took a Hit on Tank.

Last week when i was visiting my brother house there was an stone which flew from some where, since there was no vehicle in-front or opposite to me. Looks like some locals/children's threw it and due to the impact windshield cracked. The incident happened near Kankapura Main road.

I dropped my vehicle at Authorized Service center and claimed the insurance.

Please get your ECU Flashed for strange noise coming from engine bay, since after i got the ECU flashed the noise has never re-occurred and i have driven more than 2000kms after that.

So just see if there is a recall on ECU Flashing for the vehicles where the engine noise is more prominent, try recording it and show it in service center if your are not able to replicate.

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 9th March 2016 at 07:17.
Old 9th March 2016, 08:05   #855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]The Engine RPM data was very consistent with the tachometer..... [*]The max speed I touched was 107 Kmph, and this was consistent with the speedometer.....
The OBD Reader is plugged into your car's OBD Port. Its job is to merely read what is available in real time (or otherwise) in the ECM/ECU.

Applications like Torq and others provide an interface between the OBD Adapter and your Phone to enable you to read the content in a format that is easy for you.

Hence, there is no such inconsistency that you can expect when it comes to things like Speed, Tachometer Reading, Idle RPM, Engine Load, Throttle Pedal Position etc. This will be displayed exactly the way the speedo/Tachometer displays that the Instrument Panel too merely presents the data through the ECM.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks