Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2016, 16:32   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Friends did a one day return trip with family on fort Raigad yesterday. It was a round trip of approx 350 kms, half of which was through ghat and jungle roads. It was very eventful and TUV performed flawlessly.

The complete trip travelogue can be found here ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post4095759
Old 20th November 2016, 20:14   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Just want to share with the group that yesterday my complete return leg of the journey (close to 210 kms) was covered post sunset. The stock set-up of the TUV's fog lamps and headlamps gave sufficient brightness to illuminate the completely unlit roads. On single lane, narrow roads I was maintaining speed between 60-70 kmph. When I touched NH-66 (Mumbai-Goa highway), I could maintain speeds between 70-80 kmph and once on Mumbai-Pune expressway, night driving was not at all a problem. I could spot the bad patches, pot holes and speed-brakers quite comfortably. The key was to maintain a speed at which I could stop within the illuminated distance of the road ahead. I now have decent confidence of doing night drives with the stock set-up of TUV.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 21:20   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Just want to share with the group that yesterday my complete return leg of the journey (close to 210 kms) was covered post sunset. The stock set-up of the TUV's fog lamps and headlamps gave sufficient brightness to illuminate the completely unlit roads. On single lane, narrow roads I was maintaining speed between 60-70 kmph. When I touched NH-66 (Mumbai-Goa highway), I could maintain speeds between 70-80 kmph and once on Mumbai-Pune expressway, night driving was not at all a problem. I could spot the bad patches, pot holes and speed-brakers quite comfortably. The key was to maintain a speed at which I could stop within the illuminated distance of the road ahead. I now have decent confidence of doing night drives with the stock set-up of TUV.
Exactly!! I too have mostly done night drives in my Tank and coming from a Ford Figo, I feel like driving in a floodlit stadium. My friends have also acknowledged the excellent illumination the stock setup provides.

On the other hand, I noticed the coolant level hovering just over the MIN mark in my merely 2k run TUV. No leakage spotted. Issue is, I never bothered to check it earlier, so cannot gauge if the car is losing coolant. Guess, I will be carrying a jar of coolant on my forthcoming trip to OD and AP (approx 3k kms).

Last edited by mi2n : 20th November 2016 at 21:21.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 21:57   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Exactly!! I too have mostly done night drives in my Tank and coming from a Ford Figo, I feel like driving in a floodlit stadium. My friends have also acknowledged the excellent illumination the stock setup provides.
The TUV's reflector design is very good and that is the reason, even the stock 55-60W lamps give sufficient illumination. In my opinion, besides TUV the only other stock lamps that provide good illumination (and no need to upgrade) are that of Vista/Manza.

Quote:
On the other hand, I noticed the coolant level hovering just over the MIN mark in my merely 2k run TUV. No leakage spotted. Issue is, I never bothered to check it earlier, so cannot gauge if the car is losing coolant. Guess, I will be carrying a jar of coolant on my forthcoming trip to OD and AP (approx 3k kms).
Keep a close watch on this. Check the radiator hose pipe joint fixed by a steel clamp by touching the joint, do your fingers sense any coolant coming out from there. If not then you are good, otherwise this is the most prominent coolant leakage area. Around 3 litres of coolant from my car got drained out from this area. After fixing this leak the coolant level has been more or less stable (though there is a very minor drop)
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 12:35   #1460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Any luck with the Limited slip differential Captain?
RJ, no luck. EATON came back saying that they dont have an application for the TUV. PMed a couple of hardcore 'off-roaders' on the forum for advice. Nothing available for the TUV so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
POST 1 - Since yesterday there has been a low "woosh" sound each time I shift gears - only heard when the car changes transmission from between first or second gear. Not sure what that sound is.

POST 2 - Later on another SA walked up and told me that the sound is due to the new software update, installed post my second service just before Diwali. The sound is only heard when the gear is shifted from neutral to first and from first to second, when the vehicle is stationery and at low speeds on these two gears. He said it’s a known fact – that he has heard this from a few TUV owners. It was more of a feedback than a complaint. Another observation he pointed out to was at neutral idling the RPM meter stays at 1000 rpm, when I shift the gear from neutral to first, the RPM drops to around 800. So the SA said this dip in RPM primarily done to boost economy – is what the software picks up when I shift gears, resulting in the sound.

POST 3 - Dieselburner, I did change the modulators way back in Jan. The SA ruled out that the noise is not related to the modulators.
BattleTank, the 'whoosh' noise is definitely from the Vacuum modulators. You mentioned that it was changed once. I have changed mine 5 times ,
the last one being on 5th Nov, 2016. So I think the MASS should look no further. I, too, am experiencing the RPM drop from 1000 in neutral to around 850 to 900 once the gear is engaged. This happens without any 'whooo' noise, just that the engine note changes slightly.

I have written to M&M, and copied all the addresses I could get from the net, informing them that the Vacuum modulator of my TUV has been changed a number of times, and to find out the root cause for the vacuum modulators failing, instead of doing repeated replacement when ever the 'whooosing' noise crops up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
My odo is around 28k and apart from this woosh sound and an annoying "thud" sound below the gear lever (it comes initially only when the vehicle starts in morning whenever vehicle crosses a bump/speed-breaker at a high speed and gradually decreases in the day, also this sound is more in winters as compared to summers. I bought vehicle in january and then this sound was there, in summers I never noticed this sound and now as the winter is around it has appeared again) there is no problem with the vehicle.
For the sound below the gear lever they told me to change the mounting which is not available with them when I got modulators changed. Hope they manage to source it by the time I go for 4th service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Looks like I need to get my resonator & hoses changed during the 3rd service.

Apart from the knocking sound in the morning, there is nothing much to report on the way the tank is performing. .
Quote:
Folks this is common to all TUVs I believe. As you have mentioned I too hear this sound (under the handbrake lever), while passing a hump near my home the first thing when I leave in the morning. When the car passes over a hump something underneath the car is getting raised and touches a part just below the handbrake lever. I have not paid much attention to it and ignored till now. But if there is some solution to it, will surely want to get it rectified.
Dieselburner, RJ and AutoIndian, with regards to the noise under the gear/handbrake lever, could you please confirm on the below.

1. Does this noise occur only when the engine is cold, that is - when you take the car out in the morning, or after a long period and the engine has cooled down ? (Engine temperature display shows just 1 bar)

2. The noise occurs only when the rear wheels go over the bump/hump. The front wheel going over the bump does not create this noise.

3. If you ride over the bump which the clutch disengaged (pedal fully pressed) you will not hear this sound.

If the answer is YES to all the three above questions, then it is the 'gear shifter assembly link' that is the culprit.

I was also experiencing this noise, and the M&M ASS could not find out the cause. The car was with them for almost a week in total (2 visits). After a lot of trial and errors, which included replacing the entire clutch assembly, the noise stopped only after changing this so called LINK

Quote:
The TUV's reflector design is very good and that is the reason, even the stock 55-60W lamps give sufficient illumination.
AI, true the reflectors are good, so I did not increase the wattage but instead changed the bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision, which has a slightly whiter light with a longer throw that the stock bulbs.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 12:43   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Dieselburner, RJ and AutoIndian, with regards to the noise under the gear/handbrake lever, could you please confirm on the below.

1. Does this noise occur only when the engine is cold, that is - when you take the car out in the morning, or after a long period and the engine has cooled down ? (Engine temperature display shows just 1 bar)

2. The noise occurs only when the rear wheels go over the bump/hump. The front wheel going over the bump does not create this noise.

3. If you ride over the bump which the clutch disengaged (pedal fully pressed) you will not hear this sound.

If the answer is YES to all the three above questions, then it is the 'gear shifter assembly link' that is the culprit.

I was also experiencing this noise, and the M&M ASS could not find out the cause. The car was with them for almost a week in total (2 visits). After a lot of trial and errors, which included replacing the entire clutch assembly, the noise stopped only after changing this so called LINK

AI, true the reflectors are good, so I did not increase the wattage but instead changed the bulbs to Philips Extreme Vision, which has a slightly whiter light with a longer throw that the stock bulbs.
Bang on captainrex, I have all the 3 yes which you have mentioned. I was told by MASS that gear lever mounting is causing this noise but now I will get back in touch with them again on this. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:06. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
dieselburner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 23:39   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Dieselburner, RJ and AutoIndian, with regards to the noise under the gear/handbrake lever, could you please confirm on the below….If the answer is YES to all the three above questions, then it is the 'gear shifter assembly link' that is the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Bang on captainrex, I have all the 3 yes which you have mentioned. I was told by MASS that gear lever mounting is causing this noise but now I will get back in touch with them again on this. Thanks.
Thank you both for sharing this info, now I know whenever that sound comes up while passing over a hump, I can say without a doubt that it is the 'gear shifter assembly link'. Since it is not causing any issue as of now, i will plan to get it changed during my 20K service.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:05. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:56   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
RJ, no luck. EATON came back saying that they dont have an application for the TUV. PMed a couple of hardcore 'off-roaders' on the forum for advice. Nothing available for the TUV so far...
I was eagerly awaiting for the reply from EATON, since this did not work. Will playing around with the rear axle anti-roll bar (marked in red in the picture below) help? Pic courtesy: Procrj.

Experts please comment, will substituting the anti-roll bar with a telescopic (hydraulic) bar help in tackling the wheel lift off issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-differential-bar01.jpg  

sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 23:51   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Couple of months back one of my friends had shared the pictures of a stepwell near Satara, Bara Motechi Vihir. I was very much fascinated by it and had made it my mind right then to visit it in the near future. Fortunately today on Sunday, I got a chance to visit it along with my family. Since it was near Satara, we decided to visit the Kas Lake as well as the Shivsagar Lake (Koyna backwaters) near Bamnoli in the same trip. Sharing some pics here, detailed travelogue is under creation in the assembly section.

It was a Sunday well spent, doing a round trip of 343 kms, lot of ghats and twisties. As expected the TUV performed flawlessly.

The viewing gallery of the well (Baramotechi Vihir)
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6360.jpg

The Octagonal shape of the well clearly visible
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6303.jpg

One of the intricately designed arches
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6284.jpg

Arch in an arch

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6359.jpg

Not sure which animal is this, but it adorns one of the well walls
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6321.jpg

The beautifully designed pillars
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6356.jpg

TUV on its way to Kas Plateau & Kas Lake
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6405.jpg

A shadow of its own
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6421.jpg

My Orange tank overlooking the Kas lake
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6453.jpg

My Orange tank overlooking the Shivsagar Lake (Koyna backwaters) at Bamnoli
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dscn6465.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 09:28   #1465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RJ, no luck. EATON came back saying that they dont have an application for the TUV. PMed a couple of hardcore 'off-roaders' on the forum for advice. Nothing available for the TUV so far.
Sad to hear that Captain. Do let us know if you manage to find an alternate solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Experts please comment, will substituting the anti-roll bar with a telescopic (hydraulic) bar help in tackling the wheel lift off issue?
Will let the experts comment on this but Ezee had posted that M&M had changed the suspension of a few TUVs to address the wheelspin issue. Why don't you write to customer care, who will then route you to your area manager.

Quote:
My Orange tank overlooking the Shivsagar Lake (Koyna backwaters) at Bamnoli
Looks like you finally started making time to take the tank out

I ordered the liqui molly kilma fresh to clean out the AC system and according to videos and feedback, i need to position this at the intake of the re circulation system. Most cars seem to have this in the passenger footwell but here is how the TUV passenger footwell looks Would be of great help if someone here can point out where the re circulation intake is
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv30062.jpg
Source: Official review
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 18:44   #1466
BHPian

Friends done a wonderful round trip of almost 2000 km Hyderabad - Mumbai - Shiridi - Aurangabad - Ajantha - Ellora - Hyderabad during 18th to 25th Nov. Blue Bolt’s performance was flawless and was very happy to have taken the decision of having this as my companion on the road. TUV had handled all kinds of roads (Highways, Ghats, Potholes, expressways, interior village roads) with ease and has no issues in taking anything thrown at it.

Before starting the trip taken it to SA to enquire if the 1st service would be done at 2000 km on the ODO, however he mentioned it can be done at 4k as well and will have no problems. So just got the driver side door rattle fixed and made them check the collect level which is it mid-level and SA mentioned it would be sufficient for the trip. The ODO stands at 4200 and will take it for the first service.

Will provide a detailed travel log in due time.

Thank you to all the Guru’s for the wonderful feedback, suggestions on the TANK.
vito_parry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 21:16   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
I was eagerly awaiting for the reply from EATON, since this did not work. Will playing around with the rear axle anti-roll bar (marked in red in the picture below) help? Pic courtesy: Procrj.

Please don't! It is not an antiroll bar.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3912857

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 23:49   #1468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing some pics here, detailed travelogue is under creation in the assembly section.
Friends, as promised here is the travelogue of my above trip.

Link

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:05. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 6th December 2016, 13:13   #1469
BHPian

My TUV is chugging along well past 12k kilometers. It is time for me to renew the one year insurance. Any suggestions for low premium ? I have bumper to bumper and would want to keep it that way. I am sure many owners here must have renewed theirs by now. So please share your premiums and insurance company.

I have my 4th trip to Goa coming up this weekend. Got modulator changed again. The whooshing sound is gone. I guess the company that makes this particular part is not taking their job seriously and Mahindra should consider changing their vendors.

Another question i have is regarding the fog lights. My bumper had to be removed in a garage to take care of a minor dent, but in the bargain while refitting the fog lamp, the focus is disturbed and the right one is pointing to the sky. Does anyone know how to align the fog lamp ? I will have no time now to go the garage before my trip and will have to do it myself.
Old 6th December 2016, 23:46   #1470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
My TUV is chugging along well past 12k kilometers. It is time for me to renew the one year insurance. Any suggestions for low premium ? I have bumper to bumper and would want to keep it that way. I am sure many owners here must have renewed theirs by now. So please share your premiums and insurance company.
I renewed my zero dep policy insurance with TATA AIG on 6th Nov 2016. Below are the details:

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-insurance-breakup.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed