Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 08:25   #1441
BHPian

Due to the wheel slip issue Mahindra has changed suspensions of few TUV owners in Kerala and Chennai. Mahindra says its the solution to the problem of rear wheel spinning on slops and uneven surfaces.

More at: http://www.tuvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=1079#p1079

Big question is, will this be done for selective customers or will be changed for all?

I am highly doubtful as Mahindra recalls are always mismanaged and for those only who so ever reports problems.
ezee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 08:57   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Due to the wheel slip issue Mahindra has changed suspensions of few TUV owners in Kerala and Chennai. Mahindra says its the solution to the problem of rear wheel spinning on slops and uneven surfaces.

More at: http://www.tuvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=1079#p1079

Big question is, will this be done for selective customers or will be changed for all?

I am highly doubtful as Mahindra recalls are always mismanaged and for those only who so ever reports problems.
I still don't get this. What the suspension has to do with wheel spinning? Wheel spinning may happen when one or both of the rear tyres don't have sufficient grip/traction. I can understand that this can happen on a uneven surface, when one wheel gets air borne. This wheel will have least resistance and will spin to glory. Or when driving in slush/wet surface the wheels won't have much grip, but then how suspension change will help increase that grip when all other conditions remain the same.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 15th November 2016 at 08:59.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:06   #1443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I still don't get this. What the suspension has to do with wheel spinning? Wheel spinning may happen when one or both of the rear tyres don't have sufficient grip/traction. I can understand that this can happen on a uneven surface, when one wheel gets air borne. This wheel will have least resistance and will spin to glory. Or when driving in slush/wet surface the wheels won't have much grip, but then how suspension change will help increase that grip when all other conditions remain the same.
Absolutely no idea why Mahindra is doing but they claim that wheel which has more weight will have better traction with these suspensions.

Although its still being evaluated by few of my known TUV owners. So lets see what feedback comes out.
ezee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:19   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely no idea why Mahindra is doing but they claim that wheel which has more weight will have better traction with these suspensions.

Although its still being evaluated by few of my known TUV owners. So lets see what feedback comes out.
Yes, we can wait and watch for the feedback. However would like to mention that suspension is just carrying the weight of the car body, its components and passengers. Unless the centre of gravity (CG) of the car moves towards rear side, the rear wheels won't get loaded, which will improve its traction. The only way this can happen is passengers occupying second row or third row of seats, or when the boot is fully loaded.

Any rear wheel drive (RWD) car drives best when the car is fully loaded and TUV is no different. This was one of my major deciding factors in going for the TUV. When going on long drives/ outstation trips my car would always have 6 passengers or even more at times. Hence I wanted a RWD car. My earlier car (Innova) and now TUV have never disappointed me when fully loaded, be it climbing steep slopes, bad roads or no roads.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 15th November 2016 at 09:23.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 12:36   #1445
Senior - BHPian

I have done second servicing and Total cost was Rs. 3698/-. I have also renewed RSA and taken 4th and 5th Year extended warranty.

I met a TUV3OO owner (100 BHP) and he told me that he also has problem of occasional engine knocking (truck like sound). India Garage will apply the same fix as done in my vehicle by replacing the vacuum resonator with a 20 cc capacity.
airbus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 19:55   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I have done second servicing and Total cost was Rs. 3698/-. I have also renewed RSA and taken 4th and 5th Year extended warranty.

I met a TUV3OO owner (100 BHP) and he told me that he also has problem of occasional engine knocking (truck like sound). India Garage will apply the same fix as done in my vehicle by replacing the vacuum resonator with a 20 cc capacity.
I am too badly frustrated by tempo like sound, specially in, the morning time.

Called Mahindra engineers but they say Diesel engines has this phenomenon of making sound during cold starts. So its absolutely normal.

Airbus what all parts they have replaced in your TUV along with vacuum resonator?
Old 15th November 2016, 21:35   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am too badly frustrated by tempo like sound, specially in, the morning time.

Called Mahindra engineers but they say Diesel engines has this phenomenon of making sound during cold starts. So its absolutely normal.

Airbus what all parts they have replaced in your TUV along with vacuum resonator?
Well for me the problem was encountered always in the evening, in most cases while returning from office.

Following was done to fix my problem, and I have not encountered the issue in the last two months after the fix:

1. Replaced vacuum resonator with 20 cc capacity.
2. Replaced connecting hoses to vacuum resonator and related parts. Diameter of new hose was slightly bigger than the previous one.
3. ECU software update.

Previously, vacuum modulator and fuel delivery module was replaced under recall.

You may contact your Mahindra area manager. If he does not know about this, tell him to contact his Bengaluru counterpart.

Last edited by airbus : 15th November 2016 at 21:38. Reason: Some addition.
airbus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 07:41   #1448
BHPian

Hi everyone, it has been a while, welcome to the new owners, our TUV is chugging along well with out much events except for a few unfortunate dents (due to vandalism). The vehicle has covered ~11700 Km, got its vacuum modulator replaced twice since the accelerator pedal vibration kept coming back, the fdm was replaced, strangely my TUV did not appear in the list for FDM recall initially (1st service) but was later added and was replaced during the 10k service.

Quote:
Due to the wheel slip issue Mahindra has changed suspensions of few TUV owners in Kerala and Chennai...
Quote:
I still don't get this. What the suspension has to do with wheel spinning? ...
Quote:
Absolutely no idea why Mahindra is doing but they claim that wheel which has more weight will have better traction with these..
As a person who faces this wheel spin issue on a daily basis while climbing on to our home parking from the narrow street (as described in my post #1056 in this thread). My understanding is that the new suspension will have more suspension travel compared to the original, so in the event of conditions that would lead to lift off of the wheel, the longer travel of the suspension would let the wheel down to stay in contact with the road and thus prevent wheel spin.
sathyasuri is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 19:38   #1449
BHPian

I also experienced the woosh sound while changing gears, have been to service station and they have replaced both vaccum modulators and hoses with the new one with increased diameter. The problem is fixed with this change now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
Since yesterday there has been a low "woosh" sound each time I shift gears - only heard when the car changes transmission from between first or second gear. Not sure what that sound is. I've heard this sound on taxis (Indica) while the gear is shifted. Not sure what the possible issue could be - clutch plate, gear box issues??. Hope its not a serious one. Planning to take the car to MASS tomorrow.

Do enlighten me if any of you've had a similar experience. If not, I will provide an update to this group post my visit to MASS. Happy driving.
dieselburner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 11:29   #1450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
I also experienced the woosh sound while changing gears, have been to service station and they have replaced both vaccum modulators and hoses with the new one with increased diameter. The problem is fixed with this change now.
Dieselburner, I did change the modulators way back in Jan. The SA ruled out that the noise is not related to the modulators.

Quote:
However I am still not able to get the sound that you are observing when slotting in first and second gear. I am not getting any such sound in any of the gears. So I can say with confidence that the sound has nothing to do with the software update. Make another TUV owner drive your car and ask him if he can hear that sound. Alternately you can drive another TUV of same vintage and check if you can hear that sound in another car.
the sound was heard by the mechanics too when we took the car out for a the test drive, as well as when the car was idling. The SA did advice that there was another car, not sure if it was of the same vintage - had the same problem. Unfortunately the car was there for a battery check so could not take the car out. He also advised the demo car too had the same problem - which again was out in the field so could not experience it first hand.

I intend to write to M&M and see if they know anything around the problem that I've quoted.
Old 18th November 2016, 13:17   #1451
BHPian

This is the 3rd time I have got the modulators changed, everytime after changing modulators the sound vanishes and again appears after sometime. When it appeared this time I went straight to service manager and he told that there is some design change in vacuum modulators and they will fit in new one this time, its been around 3 weeks I got modulators and hoses changed and there is no problem till now.
My odo is around 28k and apart from this woosh sound and an annoying "thud" sound below the gear lever (it comes initially only when the vehicle starts in morning whenever vehicle crosses a bump/speed-breaker at a high speed and gradually decreases in the day, also this sound is more in winters as compared to summers. I bought vehicle in january and then this sound was there, in summers I never noticed this sound and now as the winter is around it has appeared again) there is no problem with the vehicle.
For the sound below the gear lever they told me to change the mounting which is not available with them when I got modulators changed. Hope they manage to source it by the time I go for 4th service.

Quote:
Dieselburner, I did change the modulators way back in Jan. The SA ruled out that the noise is not related to the modulators.

the sound was heard by the mechanics too when we took the car out for a the test drive, as well as when the car was idling. The SA did advice that there was another car, not sure if it was of the same vintage - had the same problem. Unfortunately the car was there for a battery check so could not take the car out. He also advised the demo car too had the same problem - which again was out in the field so could not experience it first hand.

I intend to write to M&M and see if they know anything around the problem that I've quoted.
dieselburner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 19:12   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
My odo is around 28k and apart from this woosh sound and an annoying "thud" sound below the gear lever (it comes initially only when the vehicle starts in morning whenever vehicle crosses a bump/speed-breaker at a high speed and gradually decreases in the day, also this sound is more in winters as compared to summers. I bought vehicle in january and then this sound was there, in summers I never noticed this sound and now as the winter is around it has appeared again) there is no problem with the vehicle.
For the sound below the gear lever they told me to change the mounting which is not available with them when I got modulators changed. Hope they manage to source it by the time I go for 4th service.
oh Boy!! your narration of having changed the modulator on 3 occasions does scare me. Planning to drive to Kerala and back - which will be a 1200km round trip - and am leaving tomorrow, so there's no possibility of any last minute checks with MASS. I hope the car copes up with the long trip. I did a 1.5k trip during Diwali with the sound and the car coped up well.

I was categorically told to go ahead with my trip without any worry by the SA last week.

Will definitely write to M&M if one has to keep changing the modulators - if that indeed is the ailment for my car as well.

I also hear an occasional thud sound under the gear lever when the car negotiates a speed breaker - always felt it was the poorly fitted single mold that houses the cubby holes/holders and the gear lever cover.
Old 18th November 2016, 19:20   #1453
BHPian

Battletank - you can go ahead with your trip, there will not be any performance related issues with these modulators, only thing will be the irritating woosh sound and nothing else.
dieselburner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 21:14   #1454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
India Garage will apply the same fix as done in my vehicle by replacing the vacuum resonator with a 20 cc capacity.
Quote:
Looks like I need to get my resonator & hoses changed during the 3rd service.

@Airbus - do you have the mail id of the service head of IG? Please pm me the details if possible. I get my car serviced at IG Peenya and hence want to have something in writing before I talk to my SA and explain to him what he needs to do.

Apart from the knocking sound in the morning, there is nothing much to report on the way the tank is performing. Close to 19K on the odo now and planning to take it to 3rd Service in the 2nd week of Dec. Mileage has been steady between the 13.5-14 kmpl mark even though all my driving over the last few months has only been home-office runs.
Old 19th November 2016, 08:09   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I also hear an occasional thud sound under the gear lever when the car negotiates a speed breaker - always felt it was the poorly fitted single mold that houses the cubby holes/holders and the gear lever cover.
Folks this is common to all TUVs I believe. As you have mentioned I too hear this sound (under the handbrake lever), while passing a hump near my home the first thing when I leave in the morning. When the car passes over a hump something underneath the car is getting raised and touches a part just below the handbrake lever. I have not paid much attention to it and ignored till now. But if there is some solution to it, will surely want to get it rectified.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks