Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2016, 07:45   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
[ATTACH]If you observe the part list that was replaced in my car, the first 2 relate to the coolant system. There has to be an anticipated leakage in the system for them to replace the hose voluntarily. They may be changing it only when/and if the car comes for service.
You are right Sirvoicar and even my car underwent the recall of Radiator hose replacement during the 10K service (as there were some coolant leakage complaints from others and they wanted to proactively replace the hoses in all TUVs). If they have really replaced this faulty hose, I wonder how this leakage has happened.

On another note I recollect one co-related incident. Since the winter has set in here in Pune, I normally keep the AC on Eco mode and the temperature knob exactly at the centre (between hot and cold settings). Even after that the AC was throwing chilled air, hence I set the knob towards the hotter/warmer side. Even after doing that there was absolutely no change in air temperature and AC was throwing chilled air and this started happening from last couple of days. Ideally it should have thrown warm air. This meant that the hot coolant was not passing through the AC circuit or was there no coolant at all ?

Need to get answers for all these questions today at the workshop.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 08:28   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts (Mods please merge this with the above post as I was out of the 30 mins window).

Yesterday night I could not observe the underside of the car. However just now I observed in broad daylight and I could clearly see the coolant spots on the underside of the engine guard. Look at the 3-4 purple spots in the picture below. This confirms that there is a coolant leakage.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20161103_081349.jpg
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:45   #1428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Furthermore, the 84 BHP model is history, they have made many changes (read corrections) in the 100 BHP model. The 84 BHP cannot be upgraded as the specifications, dimensions and even location of some parts/hoses and connectors are entirely new. The test driver told me that none of the 100 BHP cars have come to the service centre yet, looks like the product is stable and settled in the real world.
Thanks for that update Sirvoicar. If M&M has changed specs, dimensions etc. of multiple hoses/connectors in the 100 BHP version,then the bigger concern is what happens to spare availability for all the 84 BHP owners? With more and more 100 BHP versions on the road, its only logical that spares for 84 BHP parts (which are not common) will become harder to get and hence we the initial owners will not only have to live with various niggles/issues but also wait longer for spares

Quote:
Attachment 1572980
If you observe the part list that was replaced in my car, the first 2 relate to the coolant system. There has to be an anticipated leakage in the system for them to replace the hose voluntarily. They may be changing it only when/and if the car comes for service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I observed in broad daylight and I could clearly see the coolant spots on the underside of the engine guard. Look at the 3-4 purple spots in the picture below. This confirms that there is a coolant leakage.
I remember Airbus also posting about bad workmanship leading to continuous leakage even after changing the hose pipe but your's is the second case AutoIndian, which makes me wonder if the part that is being replaced is still not solving the problem.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 09:56   #1429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I remember Airbus also posting about bad workmanship leading to continuous leakage even after changing the hose pipe but your's is the second case AutoIndian, which makes me wonder if the part that is being replaced is still not solving the problem.
I am at the workshop right now. Before starting from home I asked the Service Advisor if I can drive to the workshop in this condition. He advised me to top the coolant with normal water so that engine doesn't overheat. I did the top up and it took only 0.5 litres of water. But when I started the engine while pouring water it gulped in 2.5 litres more (the car can take up 8 litres of coolant it seems). Preliminary diagnosis reveals that the clamp of hose going from reservoir to engine has become loose towards the engine end. I have met the GM Service over here and he informed me that all hoses are being inspected for leakages. He also told me that the complete coolant will be replaced under warranty. Hoping that they can trace the exact root cause and fix it permanently.

Edit: Just checked the manual and the coolant capacity is mentioned as 4.5 litres (and not 8 litres as informed to me by the service advisor). Don't know when these SAs will do their homework properly. Also came to know that Kundan Motors has stopped sales of Mahindra cars from last 3 months. Looks like they are shifting their loyalties elsewhere (could be Tata Motors). Fortunately they are not closing down this workshop.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 3rd November 2016 at 10:21. Reason: Coolant capacity updated
Old 3rd November 2016, 12:26   #1430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks for that update Sirvoicar. If M&M has changed specs, dimensions etc. of multiple hoses/connectors in the 100 BHP version,then the bigger concern is what happens to spare availability for all the 84 BHP owners? With more and more 100 BHP versions on the road, its only logical that spares for 84 BHP parts (which are not common) will become harder to get and hence we the initial owners will not only have to live with various niggles/issues but also wait longer for spares
100BHP available only in T8 variant. So, I believe spares should not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Just checked the manual and the coolant capacity is mentioned as 4.5 litres (and not 8 litres as informed to me by the service advisor). Don't know when these SAs will do their homework properly.
I actually have a bill from Sireesh Auto for flushing the coolant showing 6 litres.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv.png  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20161103_121050.jpg  

airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:47   #1431
Senior - BHPian

Finally the culprit was the same Radiator hose that was replaced as a part of recall. This hose takes the coolant from radiator to the engine. The clamp had come loose at this end. The technician removed it polished the rubber hose with sand paper to make it rough. He then applied a sealant and tightened the clamp. He then drained the coolant mixed with 3 litres of water by opening the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. He fully emptied 3 cans of coolant, then started the engine and it took in 1.5 litres more. So total coolant capacity is confirmed now as 4.5 litres. He gave the 0.5 litre coolant to me for topping up in case the level dips down. He asked me to check the coolant level when the engine is cold. The SA then took the car for a test drive of around 15 kms. After that the technician checked the hose for any leakage and fortunately there was none. The car was handed back to me after 2.5 hours.

While I was there I observed this headlamp for TUV as a Mahindra genuine accessory. It has a HID Projector (both upper & dipper) with LED tube DRLs, asking price, hold your breath, INR 39K. Also enquired about the TUV alloys wheel and it costs a whopping 14.5K now

Came to office, covering 20 kms distance. Fortunately the temperature gauge for stuck at 5 bars and did not shoot to 6 bars. While returning back tonight I will once again check the coolant level in the tank, to ensure that the leakage has been fixed for good.

Technician pouring the coolant in the reservoir
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-technician-pouring-coolant-reservoir.jpg

Now the coolant level above the max mark
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-now-coolant-level-above-max-mark.jpg

The five cans of 1 litre coolant lined up for filling in my tank
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-five-cans-1-litre-coolant-lined-up-filling-my-tank.jpg

The radiator hose fits on the blue pipe going to the engine
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-radiator-hose-fits-blue-pipe-going-engine.jpg

The radiator hose clamp opened
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-radiator-hose-clamp-opened.jpg

HID Projector for TUV Price INR 39K
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-hid-projector-tuv-price-inr-39k.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 11:12   #1432
Senior - BHPian

TUV Owners: If you have done second servicing (10,000 km), could you please share the things must be done and things that can be avoided. I will be going for second servicing tomorrow (ODO reading 10,575 km). Due to my previous escalations, the vehicle was thoroughly checked in September and don't have any complaints currently
Old 4th November 2016, 11:20   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
TUV Owners: If you have done second servicing (10,000 km), could you please share the things must be done and things that can be avoided. I will be going for second servicing tomorrow (ODO reading 10,575 km). Due to my previous escalations, the vehicle was thoroughly checked in September and don't have any complaints currently
Please refer post# 236 onwards on my ownership thread --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4025084

Here you will get all the details regarding 10K service.

You can skip AC system cleaning. Tyre rotation, wheel balancing can be done from outside. Must do at the workshop is change of engine oil & oil filter, transmission oil & differential oil. All details in my post.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 12:02   #1434
BHPian

Long time that I've made a post on this forum, was busy driving my TUV all over the southern states. My TUV has clocked 15K plus kms in 10 months.

The car underwent a second servicing a month back. The service experience i must admit was as good as my first one, with MASS doing a good job - in terms of the timelines committed, second service "task" explanation, quotation and the over all feeling of being taken care of.

The car has behaved itself so far post the recalls/replacements were made way back in Jan'16. The only concern being the placement of the ESS, ECO Mode, Rear Defogger switches, which gets covered by the steering wheel. Its not easy to use them while driving as one has to peep low to be able to locate these set of buttons.

Since yesterday there has been a low "woosh" sound each time I shift gears - only heard when the car changes transmission from between first or second gear. Not sure what that sound is. I've heard this sound on taxis (Indica) while the gear is shifted. Not sure what the possible issue could be - clutch plate, gear box issues??. Hope its not a serious one. Planning to take the car to MASS tomorrow.

Do enlighten me if any of you've had a similar experience. If not, I will provide an update to this group post my visit to MASS. Happy driving.
BattleTank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 20:20   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
Long time that I've made a post on this forum, was busy driving my TUV all over the southern states. My TUV has clocked 15K plus kms in 10 months.
Wonderful, so you are keeping your TUV busy or rather is it the other way round? Nevertheless good going

Quote:
The car underwent a second servicing a month back. The service experience i must admit was as good as my first one, with MASS doing a good job - in terms of the timelines committed, second service "task" explanation, quotation and the over all feeling of being taken care of.
Again you are very lucky, not everyone over here has pleasant experience with MASS.

Quote:
The car has behaved itself so far post the recalls/replacements were made way back in Jan'16. The only concern being the placement of the ESS, ECO Mode, Rear Defogger switches, which gets covered by the steering wheel. Its not easy to use them while driving as one has to peep low to be able to locate these set of buttons.
They are purposefully placed there, because all these buttons are rarely used. In the last one year only once did I use the ECO mode, but after the lethargic behavior of the engine I ditched that button permanently. Same is the case with ESS, I used it once and the car shudders at every start/stop, also the AC stops when you switch off the engine, so didn't find it that useful. Lastly the Rear Defogger haven't been used even once as we don't have foggy conditions here in Pune. So all these three buttons are rightly placed at least as per me

Quote:
Since yesterday there has been a low "woosh" sound each time I shift gears - only heard when the car changes transmission from between first or second gear. Not sure what that sound is. I've heard this sound on taxis (Indica) while the gear is shifted. Not sure what the possible issue could be - clutch plate, gear box issues??. Hope its not a serious one. Planning to take the car to MASS tomorrow.

Do enlighten me if any of you've had a similar experience. If not, I will provide an update to this group post my visit to MASS. Happy driving.
I have at least not experienced any such kind of sound. Is it coming from the engine or gearbox? "woosh" kind of sound usually comes from the turbocharger. If it is coming only while shifting from first to second gear, then it could probably coming from the gear box. I hope you are shifting the gear in two stages. Don't directly shift it from 1st to 2nd. Move the gear lever from 1st to 2nd, while pausing in the neutral position momentarily. Same thing you do while moving from 3rd to 4th. The more relaxed you do the gear shifting the smoother would be the gear changes.
Old 6th November 2016, 14:04   #1436

I had always wondered about the capability of the tank to traverse the higher reaches and deeper parts of Himachal. I was pleasantly surprised and reassured when going through the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-cuv-thar.html , I spotted TUV300 in the video titled ''Drive to Chitkul'' link: at 3:56 you can see a Black TUV.
I was very happy to accidentaly spot it, and that too, safely perched atop the himalayas , as I plan to own the tank very soon, and take it to such places.
akchd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 08:06   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akchd View Post

I had always wondered about the capability of the tank to traverse the higher reaches and deeper parts of Himachal. I was pleasantly surprised and reassured when going through the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-cuv-thar.html , I spotted TUV300 in the video titled ''Drive to Chitkul'' link: http://Youtu.be/n-6ZWPJtpTI at 3:56 you can see a Black TUV.
I was very happy to accidentaly spot it, and that too, safely perched atop the himalayas , as I plan to own the tank very soon, and take it to such places.
I'm actually not surprised by this! There was never any doubt for me regarding the capability of the car. The aggregates are proven enough, like the Scorpio chassis and the rugged suspension. What made me shy away from the TUV was the increasingly frequent number of issues being faced by various owners in this forum, and MASS's seeming inability to come up with permanent solutions for them. I think that there will be another update to the TUV considering the dropping sales.

If you do buy one, I'd advise you to ensure that it's niggle free before taking it out on long trips to remote locations.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 00:11   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I think that there will be another update to the TUV considering the dropping sales.
The sales are not dropping, but increasing. TUV has first time breached the 3k mark. I guess the product has settled in now.
Old 14th November 2016, 19:33   #1439
BHPian

An update post my visit to the MASS to report the "woshing"sound.

Went to the MASS - India Garage @ ITPL, Bangalore last weekend to get the “whoooshh” sound checked. The SA suspected there could be a problem with the brake pads. The technicians removed the pads checked and scrubbed them, cleaned the brake dust and refitted the tires. That did not eliminate the sound.

Later on another SA walked up and told me that the sound is due to the new software update, installed post my second service just before Diwali. The sound is only heard when the gear is shifted from neutral to first and from first to second, when the vehicle is stationery and at low speeds on these two gears. He said it’s a known fact – that he has heard this from a few TUV owners. It was more of a feedback than a complaint. Another observation he pointed out to was at neutral idling the RPM meter stays at 1000 rpm, when I shift the gear from neutral to first, the RPM drops to around 800. So the SA said this dip in RPM primarily done to boost economy – is what the software picks up when I shift gears, resulting in the sound. Not entirely convinced.

What are your thoughts on what the SA had to state?
BattleTank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 07:49   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
Later on another SA walked up and told me that the sound is due to the new software update, installed post my second service just before Diwali. The sound is only heard when the gear is shifted from neutral to first and from first to second, when the vehicle is stationery and at low speeds on these two gears. He said it’s a known fact – that he has heard this from a few TUV owners. It was more of a feedback than a complaint. Another observation he pointed out to was at neutral idling the RPM meter stays at 1000 rpm when I shift the gear from neutral to first, the RPM drops to around 800. So the SA said this dip in RPM primarily done to boost economy – is what the software picks up when I shift gears, resulting in the sound. Not entirely convinced.

What are your thoughts on what the SA had to state?
The observation pointed out by your SA is correct. After the recent software update, at neutral idling the RPM meter stays at 1000 rpm and when the gear is shifted from neutral to first, the RPM drops to around 800. I am wondering if it should have been the other way round. i.e.at idling in neutral is should have been 800 rpm and when the gear is slotted it should marginally increase so that on releasing the clutch pedal the car would easily pick-up. What is the point in keeping the neutral idling rpm high at 1000 rpm?

However I am still not able to get the sound that you are observing when slotting in first and second gear. I am not getting any such sound in any of the gears. So I can say with confidence that the sound has nothing to do with the software update. Make another TUV owner drive your car and ask him if he can hear that sound. Alternately you can drive another TUV of same vintage and check if you can hear that sound in another car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks