Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2016, 15:30   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The minor buzzing coming from the front door trims, which is an irritant when I am driving alone completely vanishes when the car if fully loaded. Also the ride improves considerably, becomes more pliant. Can someone help me co-relate this please?
Reduction in buzzing is not correlated directly with load. The buzzing occurs due to mechanical resonance.I have observed that when its just me in the car, I tend to upshift fast & don't really move down from 3rd gear even when the car is at 25 kmph. Its during these instances that the buzzing is pronounced. But when the car is loaded, I consciously ensure that I am in 2nd gear when the speedo is at 20-25 kmph. This gear variation could be one of the reason for change in car vibrations & hence lower amplitude of resonance i.e buzzing. Just my hypothesis based on what I have observed in my car.

Ride improves when loaded because M&M must have tuned the suspension setup to ensure best handling & ride quality when fully loaded - basic assumption being that most people will buy the 7 seater to use it as a 7 seater.

Last edited by procrj : 30th January 2016 at 15:32.
Old 30th January 2016, 21:30   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Reduction in buzzing is not correlated directly with load. The buzzing occurs due to mechanical resonance.I have observed that when its just me in the car, I tend to upshift fast & don't really move down from 3rd gear even when the car is at 25 kmph. Its during these instances that the buzzing is pronounced. But when the car is loaded, I consciously ensure that I am in 2nd gear when the speedo is at 20-25 kmph. This gear variation could be one of the reason for change in car vibrations & hence lower amplitude of resonance i.e buzzing. Just my hypothesis based on what I have observed in my car.
Well I agree to your hypothesis to a certain extent. The buzzing is indeed much pronounced when the car is on higher gear at near idling rpm. However the minor squeaks (from the door trim), are amplified when going over rough road/ pot holes and when I am the lone occupant in the car (Note: these are not related to resonating frequency). The same squeaks are very subdued (almost zero), when the car is fully loaded. I still cannot co-relate this

Quote:
Ride improves when loaded because M&M must have tuned the suspension setup to ensure best handling & ride quality when fully loaded - basic assumption being that most people will buy the 7 seater to use it as a 7 seater.
No doubt about that. All ladder on frame cars (with rear wheel drive) ride flat when fully loaded.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 14:49   #678
BHPian

Took the tank to the ITPL (Whitefield, Bangalore) service center for the FDM and resonator corrections yesterday (Sat). Took my missus along so that she gets to see and understand the corrections being made. I was told to be there by 11am, by the GM of India Garage and he provided us the details of the contact person there. I reached the service center at 12pm, and I was immediately attended to, the SA was waiting for me and my tank (well done by India Garage and Mahindras at keeping the SA informed – felt nice and first impressions do matter). Was given a full explanation of what needed replacement, corrections, size adjustments etc.

A job card was prepared in 30 mins and I got an SMS from Mahindra acknowledging the service appointment with an estimated delivery time of 3pm. At around 1pm, wife and I decided to go for lunch – on a side note, we traveled by the excellent Vajra Volvo service of BMTC after probably months for a lovely lunch, and it felt good to provide all the attention to the missus and not having to bother about the bumper to bumper traffic of Bangalore for once.

We were back at the service station dot at 3pm, the Tank was ready with some final touch ups being given. The technician took the car out for couple of test drives and finally handed over my beloved to me for a joint test drive. Not sure if it was a mere feeling, but the repaired tank was some different beast post replacements – fell in love with it head over heels once again.

At 4pm, with all necessary documentation done, I took the tank out and went on a short drive. The tank felt nice and confident on the road, hopefully it will remain that way. Over all I must say the guys at Mahindras were top notch – right from the empathy, follow-up and attention one got, felt like a valued customer. If they can maintain this consistently across all centers and transactions, the post sales “Hit or Miss’ impression that they have will be erased once and for all.

I agree with AutoIndian, that only 10 in 100 cars have this problem and for a lot of people who are skeptical about the TUV300, I must say as a new owner, I have no regrets buying this beast. So those of you in the lookout for a new car and if the TUV is a shortlisted car, you will not regret investing your hard earned money on this one.

I took the car out today for a 70 km spin on the old madras road and the tank galloped with ease on the 6 lane highway as if the tank owned it. A lovely car, am happy that I bought this one. Kudos to Mahindras for this vehicle and the good post sales experience.
BattleTank is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 19:29   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Congrats to all the new owners and welcome to the growing list of TANK owners. Counted atleast 9 new owners since my last visit here about a month ago.
INJUN 269, THANOS, TAURUSAL, ROHIT 11, SPEEDY RACER, BATTLE TANK, SIRVOICAR, BLUEJAY AND AIRBUS - Welcome.
Thank you CAPTAIN REX! Your ownership thread and the Official TUV Review was what convinced me to go in for this car, over the Ford Ecosport which I had almost booked and I'm completely satisfied with it.

Completed my first service at Sireesh Auto in Silk Board yesterday. In addition to the standard Engine oil and oil filter change also had the ECU software flashed in my AMT. Apparently this software flashing is a recall ordered for all AMTs however I never got any intimation on this from Mahindra. The FDM was not replaced and the SA insists that it is not needed for my car. Will need to check up on the FDM and also why I was not intimated on the Software flashing with customer care.

Anyway, the SA informed me that the ECU software was flashed twice in my car as the first time it wasn't done properly. They caught it at the service center itself when they took it for a test drive and noticed slow gear changes and pickup and so flashed it again. When I drove the car back today it definitely felt much smoother. The changes that I could clearly notice were:
a.) Lesser engine noise - Definite improvement. Even checked with the AC and Music system off and could barely hear the engine inside the cabin.
b.) Much better gear shifts - The shifts are smoother especially from 2nd to 3rd gear where earlier the jerks were more noticeable. Even 1st to 2nd gear felt a lot smoother.
c.) Creep function is better - Its almost instantaneous now (less than 2 seconds delay) where earlier it used to kick in after 4-5 seconds only.

I'm assuming the engine noise has gone down due to the oil change and the others are due to the ECU software update. The one thing I haven't been to test so far is the pick up after 60 kmph. I had noticed a drop in acceleration speed on the highway from 60-70 kmph to 90-100 kmph. Will test this out when I get a chance.

Anyway, so far the car feels so much better after the servicing. Thoroughly fell in love with it all over again! Had Sireesh Auto install seat covers in my car in addition to the servicing. Also had ordered and received the team-bhp car stickers. Have fixed one behind, close the door handle. The car feels complete now! Attaching some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160131_175558.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160131_175627.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160131_175509.jpg  

Thanos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 20:19   #680
BHPian

BattleTank - very refreshing to read this experience. i am awaiting delivery of my T8 amt eagerly now
chetans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 14:30   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Thank you CAPTAIN REX! Your ownership thread and the Official TUV Review was what convinced me to go in for this car, over the Ford Ecosport which I had almost booked and I'm completely satisfied with it.
I had a query regarding the reported mileage of the TUV. How much is the AMT able to clock in the city ? CAPTAIN REX has reported 11 kmpl over a 6K odo reading. How has your experience been ?
Old 2nd February 2016, 14:55   #682

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
I had a query regarding the reported mileage of the TUV. How much is the AMT able to clock in the city ? CAPTAIN REX has reported 11 kmpl over a 6K odo reading. How has your experience been ?
So far I've gotten an average FE of about 13.5 kmpl. But only about 500 kms of that have been in the city. I expect the city only FE would be similar to what CAPTAIN REX has mentioned.
Thanos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:16   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
So far I've gotten an average FE of about 13.5 kmpl. But only about 500 kms of that have been in the city. I expect the city only FE would be similar to what CAPTAIN REX has mentioned.
Here is my FE over the last 3 tankfuls. This is with 100% AC (in Eco mode) and 30:70 city & highway split. Hoping that this will increase with me getting used to the car. Will be happy if I can get 15 kmpl with a 50:50 mix of City & Highway and 100% AC eco mode.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fe_dwarf.png

App used: Fuelio free version (which allows you to backup data to your google drive)
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:21   #684
BHPian

Here is the display model of tuv300 at auto-expo. ( pic tweeted by mahindra tweeter handle)

Looks butch. Only if mahindra can come up with a 4*4 T10 model with all the bells and whistles.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-image.jpeg  

Last edited by LoneWolf9 : 3rd February 2016 at 10:29. Reason: Wanted to add pic source
LoneWolf9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:17   #685
BHPian

Re: Me My Tank and the Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Enjoying every bit of the Tank.
Your tank looks smart, Congratulations!

Quote:
Front Bumper Protector
Since the front lower, and left side is a blind spot in the TUV, does the size of the protruding protector pose problems while parking in reverse between cars? It will be nice if you can share your experience.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-parallel-parking-3.jpg

Quote:
Rear Spoiler
Since the rear spoiler has an integrated HMSL, is it possible to remove the original HMSL to increase visibility in the rear wind shield? (I feel having 2 HMSL is unnecessary)
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:30   #686
BHPian

Re: Me My Tank and the Roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
Your tank looks smart, Congratulations!

Since the front lower, and left side is a blind spot in the TUV, does the size of the protruding protector pose problems while parking in reverse between cars? It will be nice if you can share your experience.
Attachment 1467960

Since the rear spoiler has an integrated HMSL, is it possible to remove the original HMSL to increase visibility in the rear wind shield? (I feel having 2 HMSL is unnecessary)
Thanks Sir.

I haven't faced any issues in parking but some times i feel that i might hit the nose but never happened

When it comes to the spoiler, i know both are just adjacent but i like it to be like these but i don't see any issue with the rear visibility or am i missing any thing?
Old 3rd February 2016, 12:43   #687
BHPian

@SPEEDY_RACER you can see the amount of space taken up by HMSL. It can result in a much larger rear view if the original HMSL can be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Contrarily, the IRVM is a size or two smaller than what it should have been:

Rear windshield is large, but the HMSL unit and spare wheel restrict your view:
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:10   #688
BHPian

TUV300 with the new Body Kit (Side View) as exhibited at the Auto Expo 2016. (Courtesy TUV300 FB Page)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv-kit-2016.jpg  

Sirvoicar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 22:15   #689
BHPian

Finally, arrives my Orange thunder. 2016 Molten Orange T8 AMT. The car was delivered on Monday, 1st Feb.

However, the delivery experience with Global Gallarie in Thane was disappointing.

The RTO part was complete on Saturday and I was pushing for delivery on Sunday so that I could check the car thoroughly (and as I was told it was an auspicious day). The Sales Exec told me in the morning that he was trying to deliver but towards end of the day, said it couldn't work out and will deliver on Monday. I was disappointed but left it there.

On Monday, at around noon time I was told that it wouldn't be possible to deliver the car as the accessories fitment was getting delayed. I was really upset and had to make a few calls to escalate the matter. Finally, I was asked to take the car in the evening at 7 PM.

I prepared my own PDI list using a pen and paper from the original TBHP PDI PDF file. I was worried about taking the car in the dark (against the recommendation in the TBHP PDI) but still went ahead. The experience that evening was really bad.
  • The cleaning was below average. In fact, there were some chemical/wax spots that I found on the inside of one of the doors and I went to the showroom next day to get it cleaned.
  • The seat covers were put but the belts in the back row were under the bench and were not accessible. Also the hand rests in front didn't seem proper. On asking, I was asked to come next day and get it fixed as the concerned team had left.
  • I don't get the road tax receipt (I followed up next day and collected it). I get the insurance papers but of the old car that I had booked (the 2015 one) which obviously has a different chassis number. I have still not got the insurance papers and the dealer tells me its gone for some endorsement. They assured me (verbally) that there is nothing to worry and the insurance is actually valid if something happens in the interim. God forbid. God only knows.
  • No person to give us any basic demo, features, to tell us about the servicing details, where the service centers are, Road Side Assistance details - just nothing.
  • There was no person to see us off, I get into the car and see the fuel warning light flashing. No fuel voucher given, and everyone suddenly disappeared as it was already around 8 PM.
  • However, I did get a chocolate box and one of the SEs offered to do a formality puja which I refused. There was also a formality picture clicked (in the dark, without any background) using a mobile phone.
  • I was given the gate pass and I assume the security is supposed to collect it. But since the entire team disappeared, I was not asked for it. I drove the car home and the gate pass is still with me!

The good part, the car didn't have any scratches or dents. Most parts like the central console, ICE, doors, lights etc. were still under the plastic protection. The car looked in mint condition and found a bar code on the ORVM which said P29 15.01.16 9.32 PM - I am assuming thats the stamp on the assembly line. All lights, warning lamps, wipers were working and the tools were in the car.

Went to a nearby temple after this for a nice puja and then to the closest Indian Oil station for a tank full. Then back home.

Yesterday, wrote a long mail to Mahindra Customer Care, Jakkan Prabhakar the ASM of Mumbai and Sandeep Dhond - M&M VP for Customer Care about the overall experience. Got a call from the GM of dealer to discuss in detail today.

Observations on the car -
  • Its just feels awesome to drive the tank. Its not as smooth or swift as my previous SX4 but you feel like the boss of the road.
  • You are a head above everyone, the driver in the sedan next to you is one floor down.
  • The AMT controls are smooth. I assume my tank was loaded with the new ECU SW as the creep is almost instantaneous (less than a second) but I can still feel slight lag during gear changes, which could be normal.
  • One observation though, the actual jerk or the gear change is felt a good 2 seconds after the number on the gear display has changed. Other AMT users - do you feel the same?
  • I can feel the slight rattling in the left front door, as reported by many of you here. Will have to check with service center.
  • I am not sure if any FDM and Vacuum Modulator/Resonator change is required. I'll have to check with the Service Center. As of now, everything seems normal.
  • Music system quality, as disussed by many here is average but its good for my listening. Its probably as good or bad as my SX4 one.
  • I was told you get a warning exactly indicating which door is open, I just can't figure that out.
  • In the trip meter, there is Trip AC (apart from A&B) which apparently tracks the number of KMs driven with AC on!
  • The NVH level inside is quite good and well controlled.
  • Headlamps are powerful, static bending headlamps are just superb!
  • The rear wash (the water spray) doesn't seem to be working in my car while the wiper is. Need to get it checked. I understand the water tank is common and I get a powerful spray on the front windshield.
  • The DTE is really crazy. It keeps jumping + or - all the time, up to almost 100 sometimes. Says 620 in the morning and 720 in the evening!

Over the last 3 days, have driven 250+ km and I feel very comfortable. All in all, a good decision and I just love the tank. Most of my driving was in peak Mumbai traffic and the AMT was a charm.

This is a real head turner. I can see people staring at my car. On two occasions, people at traffic signal have asked me to roll my window down to ask about the car - how comfortable it is, on road price etc..

Thanks to all of you for your informative posts here. It helped greatly in taking an informed decision. Really happy with the purchase and looking forward to zooming the tank away from bustles of Mumbai.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160201_203158.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160201_213932.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160202_080121.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20160204_193928.jpg  

rajpvrm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 23:07   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
Finally, arrives my Orange thunder. 2016 Molten Orange T8 AMT. The car was delivered on Monday, 1st Feb.
Congrats rajpvrm. Wishing you many happy miles with the tank.
Quote:
However, the delivery experience with Global Gallarie in Thane was disappointing.
Sad to hear about your delivery experience. M&M needs to work with its dealers and instil better customer focus
Quote:
I have still not got the insurance papers and the dealer tells me its gone for some endorsement.
You really should push for this. Did you get an SMS from the insurance co? SMS has become a standard practice in most BFSI organizations and if you havent got it, you should escalate this to M&M and get it sorted soon
Quote:
The DTE is really crazy. It keeps jumping + or - all the time, up to almost 100 sometimes. Says 620 in the morning and 720 in the evening!
I think DTE is calculated using some kind of instantaneous FE math. Even I have observed that it varies a lot.

Looks like you got all pillars wrapped Please post more pics of the car from front and also front 3 quarter profile. Also the door protection with TUV branding looks very good. How much did that cost?

Last edited by procrj : 4th February 2016 at 23:10.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks