Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2016, 14:43   #661
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Delivery of my T8 AMT is due in early next month, but by looking the recall problems I suspect Mahindra has done extensive tests and launched TUV in a hurry. Seriously I have been watching Creta & EcoSport threads as well but never seen these many problems.

This making me doubtful sometimes to wait for either another few months or to go with launching soon Viatara Brezza etc.

Last edited by ezee : 28th January 2016 at 14:44.
Old 28th January 2016, 17:22   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Delivery of my T8 AMT is due in early next month, but by looking the recall problems I suspect Mahindra has done extensive tests and launched TUV in a hurry. Seriously I have been watching Creta & EcoSport threads as well but never seen these many problems.

This making me doubtful sometimes to wait for either another few months or to go with launching soon Viatara Brezza etc.
If i remember correctly my friends ecosport (first gen and initial batch) was twice recalled from service centre to replace and fix some problems. In most of the new vehicles there will be definitely some initial niggles, but that shoudnt stop anyone from proceeding with the purchase unless any major issue is acknowledged by manufacturer. For e.g The initial batches of eon were having gear lever vibration issues which was sorted in later years.
msk_kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 19:09   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpvrm View Post
What was the MASS's explanation for the brake dust?
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
They said this is normal as I have driven 1100 kms in 4 days and not cleaned the alloys since. Not sure if other owners are also experiencing this
Break Dust
I had a meeting with GM-Service (Mumbai) this evening. The Break dust is normal and will only appear on the front wheels as they have Disc Breaks.It is the wear of Asbestos Break Pads which will have to be replaced every 18 months.

Front Wheel with Disc Breaks
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fl011.jpg

The Rear wheels have Drum Breaks
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-rr021.jpg
Sirvoicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2016, 23:19   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Welcome airbus & congratulations! When you say engine noise, what kind of noise is this? Is it like a low rumble and do you feel vibrations on the A pedal? If yes, then you need to get the resonator fitted & maybe change the modulator as well. Do call MASS and ask them to let you know what replacements are required.
Thanks procrj. Yes it's low rumble but I don't feel any vibrations. I have encountered this couple of times while returning from office and while driving below 40 kmph speed. Also, it usually disappeared after driving few kms. Within city I am driving in Eco mode. I will check with MASS. Mine is a late November manufactured vehicle and I thought they have replaced faulty parts, if any.
Old 29th January 2016, 06:57   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Thanks procrj. Yes it's low rumble but I don't feel any vibrations. I have encountered this couple of times while returning from office and while driving below 40 kmph speed. Also, it usually disappeared after driving few kms. Within city I am driving in Eco mode. I will check with MASS. Mine is a late November manufactured vehicle and I thought they have replaced faulty parts, if any.
Looks like the resonator/modulator issue based on what you have described. Problem persists in Jan 2016 vehicles. Do talk to MASS and get this fixed
Old 29th January 2016, 07:11   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
While I’ve started my post on a positive note, there was an experience i would like to share that I faced today. While driving back from office to home (just 3kms) half way through, I felt the car develop a lag – I drive a T8 MT. Even at full throttle, the car just would not accelerate, at the same time the engine did roar our loud – and the drive for the next 200 mts was full of jerks. I immediately stopped my car, killed the engine, waited for a few seconds and restarted my engine. Post restart I revved the car two to three time and then killed the engine and let it rest. Waited for a few more seconds and started again and then the tank behaved itself and was event free until I reached home. Between killing the engine and restarting – did all the basic checks right from handbrake, eco mode, looked for any warnings on the instrument cluster – found nothing wrong.
Even I have faced a similar issue 3 times till now. The first time, I stopped as soon as I heard that noise and called up the RSA and the technician there suspected that the fan belt was lose. Though the noise disappeared after a few minutes, the RSA told me to visit the service workshop and get this checked. Unfortunately the service center guys could not find anything wrong with it and said that the fan belt was fine.

2nd instance, I just stopped for 5 minutes and the noise was gone.

3rd instance (which happened day before yesterday), I was moving on a road with very heavy traffic and had to keep on moving. This time I realized that when this sound starts coming, the engine immediately looses power and the response to the A pedal is very slow (delayed). After driving for around 500-700 meters, the sound automatically disappeared. I will be mentioning this to the SA when I go for my first service next week.

I think the issue which Thanos and airbus have mentioned is also the same issue. In case anyone of you gets a chance to get it checked at the Service Workshop, plz update what needs to be done to resolve this.

One more thing which I observed this time was that on all the 3 occasions, the noise started right after taking a right turn while accelerating. In all these cases, I was waiting at a red light and had to take a right turn and as soon as I completed the turn, the noise started coming. It may just be a coincidence but can others facing a similar issue plz recall and validate if there is some correlation?
rohit_11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 09:43   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
Seriously I have been watching Creta & EcoSport threads as well but never seen these many problems.

You should take this cool! When my brother had got his EcoSport (was among the first batch of customers), I remember he taking it to repairs almost every week for first few months. He had worked at Ford on the assembly line set-up, and had few high level contacts, which ensured he got the fixes fast. The crux is how fast and responsive are the service executives. I guess M&M is quite good here. Though off topic, most of the MNCs get there products to India after a good period of time after releasing it elsewhere, this would have helped in drastically bring down the niggles. However, the high ends go a very looong and rigorous testing before release.
We have been developing (in our office) multimedia for Jaguar for last 3 years and testing and testing and testing and testing without end.
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 13:36   #668
Senior - BHPian

The morning runs to office nowadays are usually without the AC (due to the pretty cold weather here in Pune). The return trips however I have to keep my AC ON (on ACC mode). After the recent tankful I have covered a distance of 167 kms and the DTE shows 853 kms. Now if I add up the two, it gives me a range of 1020 kms. Normally after every tankful I used to get a range of 900 to 950 kms, this is the first time I am getting a range of 1000+ kms Seems my Orange Tank is slowly but surely adapting to my driving style and there is definitely minor improvement in mileage. I won't be surprised if it crosses 15 kmpl on the next tankful.

Driving this car in a relaxed manner, making good use of the low end torque will keep the car and your pocket happy. There is no point in zipping this 1.6 tonner as if its tail was on fire.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 14:57   #669
BHPian

Autoindian, on 2 tank fulls, my tank has returned the mileage of 15.6 and 15.7. This is through tank full to tank full method and have used fully buddy app.

This is mainly on highway runs with speeds ranging from 60 to 100 kmph.

So I am not at all surprised by your findings.
TaurusAl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 15:06   #670
BHPian

Hi all,

This TUV thread has grown long and with lots of new details, new owners etc and took me half the day to go through.

Was off TBHP for a long time due to work, travel and finally got back to normal.

Congrats to all the new owners and welcome to the growing list of TANK owners. Counted atleast 9 new owners since my last visit here about a month ago.
INJUN 269, THANOS, TAURUSAL, ROHIT 11, SPEEDY RACER, BATTLE TANK, SIRVOICAR, BLUEJAY AND AIRBUS - Welcome. If I missed any names, please excuse.

My tank has done 6000 km so far without any breakdowns or other hiccups. The only two causes for concern was when a Tata 407 guy in very heavy, very slow moving traffic, tried to squeeze in and go ahead, pulled out my bumper from the left, badly scratched and dented the left fender and ran off.
Got it fixed up and repainted (Rs 5000/)and will put up the details in my ownership review.

And the second was a screw into the rear tyre. Luckily saw the screw in time before the tyre could run flat and got it repaired immediately.

FE has been around 11 kmpl in the Chennai traffic.

Dreaming of taking the tank on a long highway drive away from this madding traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Is this the vacuum modulator? Titanium, Captain Rex, can any one of you please confirm as you have replaced this part in your respective cars.
Sorry for the delayed reply, AutoIndian. This was the part replaced, but the resonator was not added. Of late I have again started experiencing the same 'whoo whoo' sound and will have to visit the MASS soon.

Quote:
Guys, anyone of you have used the "With You Hamesha" app for booking your service?
I did, and got frustrated with the same reply that you got, and then used the telephone to book.

Quote:
Got some interesting piece of info from him. He told that there are three types of recall:
1. Red recall
2. Blue recall and
3. Green recall.
Thanx AutoIndian, for this piece of info. The next time I visit the MASS, I will ask them on this categorization, since I will be going back for the same problem after replacing the modulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
My very first post on this forum. Am a proud owner of a brand new tank - a white one - took delivery of the car today. I would like to thank Tushar, AutoIndian and Captain Rex the most (plus a lot many more on this forum) for their valuable reviews and inputs, that played a vital role in helping me select the TUV300 - or should I say in the TUV300 selecting me.
BattleTank, welcome to TBHP and thanks for honoring me to be instrumental in your choosing the TUV. Wishing you miles of smiles and happy and safe motoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post
I took delivery of my TUV300 (T8 Manual Shift) on 05.11.2015. The hushing sound started while release of the clutch within the first 15 days.
I feel the 1st 3000 customers should receive a Guinea Pig allowance and free service for life.

I suggest all owners should get the Resonator and the Fuel Injecting unit replaced immediately.
Congrats Sirvoicar.
I might be among one of the 3000 Guinea Pigs. The modulator was changed once, but now again I have started getting the same noise. Power has not dropped though.
I second your opinion on all TUV owners getting the Resonator, at the least, changed. Seems to be an common problem.

Quote:
My 2 month wait came to an end today. Finally got my hands on the Red Dwarf .
Wow, RJ. Finally D day, and what a day. Sorry to hear about the initial niggles, and hoping that the days ahead will be smooth and trouble free.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2016, 16:29   #671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
pulled out my bumper from the left, badly scratched and dented the left fender and ran off
Sad to hear that Captain. Good to know that you fixed the tank and there was no major damage
Quote:
I second your opinion on all TUV owners getting the Resonator, at the least, changed. Seems to be an common problem.
Resonator will need to be added as it does not come factory fitted
Quote:
Wow, RJ. Finally D day, and what a day. Sorry to hear about the initial niggles, and hoping that the days ahead will be smooth and trouble free.
Hoping for the same.
Old 29th January 2016, 17:39   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Was off TBHP for a long time due to work, travel and finally got back to normal.
Good to see you Captaining the side again. You are one of the the initial TUVGuru's along with AutoIndian, and with 6000 km under your belt, the most experienced one.

Quote:
Congrats to all the new owners and welcome to the growing list of TANK owners.

Quote:
Dreaming of taking the tank on a long highway drive away from this madding traffic.
Before you "tame the road", just check with MASS if your Tank is flagged for FDM replacement. I have suffered, and would not like anyone to be stranded for this reason on a long Drive.

Quote:
This was the part replaced, but the resonator was not added. Of late I have again started experiencing the same 'whoo whoo' sound and will have to visit the MASS soon.
The modulator was changed once, but now again I have started getting the same noise.
I am told the "Vaccum modulator & Resonator" is a a system, and it is replaced together as an unit

Quote:
Power has not dropped though.
This is a FDM issue

Last edited by Eddy : 30th January 2016 at 11:39. Reason: Please use bold text to highlight important points, not the entire post
Sirvoicar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 00:06   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Old but brilliant video. explains how the double wishbone suspension setup works. TUV300 front suspension is a double wishbone.
procrj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 09:14   #674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Old but brilliant video. explains how the double wishbone suspension setup works. TUV300 front suspension is a double wishbone.
Really nice and lucid explanation, thank you for sharing it here procrj. I must say TUV's suspension is really good, it absorbs the road irregularities like they never existed.

Yesterday I observed one more thing. The minor buzzing coming from the front door trims, which is an irritant when I am driving alone completely vanishes when the car if fully loaded. Also the ride improves considerably, becomes more pliant. Can someone help me co-relate this please?
Old 30th January 2016, 09:21   #675
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Sharad Tater for sharing his experience & advice:

Quote:
I feel sad to read three owners having this issue and feel frustrated that dealer service centers turned them away simply because ECC scan did not record anything.

I too raised a ruckus for the dealer service center turning me away just because ECC scan did not show any error / warning. I now visit dealer service center only after informing Mahindra customer support and insist on the plant technical team to oversee all operations.

My Case in Detail -

In official records of Mahindra, my TUV (MH04GZxxxx) is the first one to have reported this issue (engine losing power, abnormal engine sound and vibration and jerks thereafter).

The issue does not get captured in ECC scan. I too was turned away by service center thrice. Once the condition disappeared while at the service center gate.

However I got lucky, that I was around the service center and this issue cropped up again. I barged in the service center after calls to a few in Mahindra and Global Gallarie. I managed to get few SAs recording the engine noise and vibration. They tried for ECC scan too but it was late and the issue disappeared.

The report prepared by service engineers was -
1. It happened only after cold start, but at random and not everyday.
2. AC had to be on to have this issue
3. Each time the A/C compressor got switched on, engine lost power, made a strange noise and vibrated.
4. After the compressor got switched off, the engine behaved normally.
5. During this, since engine refused to accept power / fuel intake, jerks were produced.
6. This issue would disappear post engine killing or even with idling the engine for 2-3 minutes, and sometimes within 5 minutes.

Resolution -
1. Change of FDM was carried out and entire wiring check was performed, but the issue still cropped up.
2. ECC was flashed with latest software and car was returned back.

The car was kept for 10 days (with breaks) and Mahindra's technical team from the plant was involved. Mahindra concluded that it was related to ECC mapping which software has corrected, since all the hardware / parts involved continue to work fine after the condition / issue has disappeared for random intervals (some times for 600 kms before the issue crops up again).

It has been two tank fills since (1200 KMS) and the issue has not come up again. I can only hope that it has been resolved for good.

I kept my TUV for another week with Mahindra for correcting the AMT's performance. Here my findings are that the hydraulic clutch develops some play (loose or lag) after 1000 kms and needs to be re-calibrated. I have lost 10% performance boost due to this.

Mahindra service manual does not advice re-calibration that soon, but they might change the frequency based on data collected from my vehicle.

Regards,
Sharad Tater
Related Thread
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks