Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2016, 23:10   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
It is a simple plug in arrangement. You disconnect the original plug from the ECU to the common rail, connect the RD box's plug to this inlet and connect the original car plug to the RD box. Another wire goes to the positive terminal of the battery. That is all.
So while giving the TUV for servicing, I just have to work the reverse and get the box out. The box is fixed in the engine bay using cable ties. So if M&M is not reading this thread, they will not come to know. No changes to the stock ECU takes place.
Captain, can you please share couple of photographs of the box and it's connections?
Old 19th August 2016, 06:30   #1322

AutoIndian- how much did you pay for Shield?
Old 19th August 2016, 08:56   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil.manthripra View Post
AutoIndian- how much did you pay for Shield?
Anil, quoting from my previous post (2 pages back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I paid Rs 15,656/- (including service tax). You can refer to message #238 in my thread for further details ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ective-16.html

I was given the below sheet, which had 3 options, SHLD31, SHLD32 & SHLD33. Since I intend to keep the TUV for 5 years, I wanted the additional 2 year extended warranty, besides the company's 3 year, 1,00,000 km standard warranty. So I opted for SHLD32, 4th & 5th year or upto 1,20,000 km. Since I went for the EW beyond 60 days of car purchase but within one year period from date of sale of car, I had to pay Rs 15,656/-. If I had bought the same EW within two months of car purchase I would have saved Rs 575/-. Better late than never

The Extended Warranty options
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160730_174839.jpg
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 16:20   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Captain, can you please share couple of photographs of the box and it's connections?
Airbus, I will share more than just a couple.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-rd-box-harness.jpg
The box and the harness. What you see here is the VW Vento's harness.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-identification-lights.jpg
The different modes as marked on the RD box. A small remote controller (sorry no photo, but it is just the size of the normal car remote locking/unlocking controller unit) with 4 buttons is used to change the mode.
The remote controller is effective and works from inside the cabin, but I always open the hood to check the number of 'flash' of the light to confirm that it is really on what I have selected. (that is if at all I change the mode)

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-original-socket.jpg
This is the original connector from the stock ECU. This orange colored piece is connected to the inlet socket of the RD box as shown in the below picture

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-connections-1.jpg
The orange colored connector shown in the previous photo is connected to the socket of the RD Box, in the top circle.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-engine-bay.jpg
The engine bay. The connector goes to the plug point at the end of the common rail.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-battery-terminal.jpg
One of the wires from the box is connected to the positive terminal of the battery.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-rb-box-fix-1.jpg
The box attached to a rail in front of the battery compartment using cable ties. Easy to remove when giving TUV for servicing.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-rd-box-fix-2.jpg
The set up under the hood.

So that is it. Clip the wires using cable ties, to have a neat lay out and your are ready to go.
Using cable ties also makes it convenient to remove the box when giving it for servicing. Will also require a spanner to remove the connection for the battery.
Please keep the key off the ignition slot while doing all the wiring and connection. You will not make any mistakes in plugging the wrong connector into the wrong hole as the nature of the connectors and sockets are of that sort.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 17:18   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Easy to remove when giving TUV for servicing.
So is it really required to remove every time you send the car for servicing?

I understand this will surely void the warranty if they get to know, but it comes into picture, only when you are trying to claim the warranty right? Else it should be fine to have it in the car at all times.
Old 19th August 2016, 17:41   #1326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Airbus, I will share more than just a couple.
Thanks Captain. It seems simple. I spoke to Race Dynamics team and will go for a test sometime next week.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 17:54   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
So is it really required to remove every time you send the car for servicing?

I understand this will surely void the warranty if they get to know, but it comes into picture, only when you are trying to claim the warranty right? Else it should be fine to have it in the car at all times.

I think it will be better if the MASS guys do not come to know about this fitting.

Below is the conversation between the SA at VW Mount road, Chennai and myself when I took the Vento for the 3rd year 'periodic' servicing.

ME : Please adjust the headlights also. The right side is going slightly high at low beam. (it was throwing at almost the opposite car drivers height)

SA : Ok sir. (he then goes to the bonnet to have a look)
Sir, you have changed the bulbs ?

ME : Yes. The original bulbs were not good enough for regular night driving over long distances. (I had changed to 100/90 watts with the Roots wiring kit )

SA : You changed the wiring also, so we will not do it.

ME : If I remove this extra wire and give you, will you do it ?

SA : Yes sir. We will do the adjustments then.

I did not understand their logic. Left it at that. Told the guy not to do it.

So based on the above, I can not say what MASS will come up with.

- "sir, you fixed additional thing to engine. We will not change the engine oil." ??
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:40   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Ntomer: Hope you don't mind that I am taking the liberty of sharing your recent experience here as it is related to TUV.

Guys it seems fellow BHPian and TUV owner Ntomer had to replace his fuel pump recently. During one of his trips he crossed a small hump at a speed of 40 kmph. Immediately an "Engine!" light started blinking, car lost all power and engine died. He cranked the car, and engine started with trouble. But there was no power and car just won't move ahead. The issue was diagnosed as the fuel pump ring was faulty and the fuel pump replaced under warranty.

He has started a separate thread on this issue in the Technical Stuff section, here is the link ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...p-failure.html
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 11:41   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sawah, thanx for getting in touch. Was nice talking to you, and by now I guess you would have got your TUV delivered and must be enjoying the Tank.
Hey Captain, Yes, it was taken in Aug 1st week. Being used sparingly and gingerly due to personal limitations. Just done about 250 kms in the fortnight I had it.
Hopefully, I might put it to better use from next week.

Quote:
So if M&M is not reading this thread, they will not come to know. No changes to the stock ECU takes place.
Would it be better if you removed / fudged your uploaded car pics in tbhp that shows up your number plate???
sawah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 02:56   #1330
BHPian

Hi All. I am very sorry if I am asking this again if already covered in this or any other thread. I took test drive of TUV300 Mhawk 100 (the one with 100bhp). I was impressed on most of the aspects except one thing. The aspect of steering pulling to the center position after returning from a turn. I felt that it did not do that at all. Is that a known thing or does it do that in a very less level that I did not feel that? Owners/experts please throw some light on that.
satish_tns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 07:15   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
The aspect of steering pulling to the center position after returning from a turn. I felt that it did not do that at all. Is that a known thing or does it do that in a very less level that I did not feel that? Owners/experts please throw some light on that.
Hi Satish,

Similar issue was reported by Captain- Rex but I think these are two isolated reportings. I drive a TUV 84 Bhp variant, have driven close to 9500 km so far and I can confirm that the steering does clearly centre itself (or atleast as good as in a WagonR k10, my previous car) Your observation could be an issue with the TD vehicle.

Cheers!
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 10:28   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All. I am very sorry if I am asking this again if already covered in this or any other thread. I took test drive of TUV300 Mhawk 100 (the one with 100bhp). I was impressed on most of the aspects except one thing. The aspect of steering pulling to the center position after returning from a turn. I felt that it did not do that at all. Is that a known thing or does it do that in a very less level that I did not feel that? Owners/experts please throw some light on that.
You may get this feeling that the TUV's steering is not centering after a turn, especially if you are used to hatchbacks or electric steerings. The small cars are light weight (less than a tonne), have a small rubber patch of tyres making contact with the road (175mm or 185mm section max) and the steering of these cars is assisted by electric motor. Now compare this with TUV, which tips the scale at 1.6 tonnes, rubber section is 215mm and it has a hydraulic power steering. All these factors make the TUVs steering heavier and accentuates that if you are coming from a hatch background. Also the centering action happens quickly if you are at some speed, but if you turn the steering on a stand still car and expect it to return back to center it won't happen. The more the car speed the faster the centering happens and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Hi Satish,

Similar issue was reported by Captain- Rex but I think these are two isolated reportings. I drive a TUV 84 Bhp variant, have driven close to 9500 km so far and I can confirm that the steering does clearly centre itself (or atleast as good as in a WagonR k10, my previous car) Your observation could be an issue with the TD vehicle.

Cheers!
As mentioned above it could be a matter of getting used to. All throughout my life I have been driving cars with hydraulic steering, Indica (11 years), Innova (1 year) and now TUV (10 months) and I like the TUVs steering the most. To check whether the steering centers as expected or not, take a 90 degree turn, at the end of the turn release the grip on steering and gradually increase speed, the car should go in straight line without any steering inputs. Then you can make your own judgement.
Old 28th August 2016, 15:00   #1333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
To check whether the steering centers as expected or not, take a 90 degree turn, at the end of the turn release the grip on steering and gradually increase speed, the car should go in straight line without any steering inputs. Then you can make your own judgement.
I tried this myself over a 10km drive today and I have to agree with you Satish that the steering does not return on Its own for the last 30-40 degrees and one has to get it into position. I never observed it so keenly because for me it was never a problem, but yes for people who are driving the TUV for the first time, this could be an issue.
Old 28th August 2016, 21:06   #1334
BHPian

Went to test drive TUV300 mhawk100 today again. Since the MT was not there, i tried AMT which I have not tried earlier. Yes, the AMT does upshift at higher rpms than usual. Tested extensively. Ofcourse we can make the upshift work the way we want but with extra work for our brain on when and how long to release the throttle to make it upshift. I throttled hard couple of times and it keeps reving and upshifts after 4k rpm. Ok coming back to the point I raised. I did check that too. Yes, steering returning to center after a turn is there but hardly noticeable at low speeds. I tested couple of corners by cornering hard to check the body roll and also the steering returning to center. It was doing it but needs our effort too. Anyways, i started loving TUV300 mhawk100 after driving it again and again. Let me see if my destiny is going to make me an owner of TUV300 or S-Cross 1.3.. Ty all for your quick response..

Any TUV300 mhawk100 users here.. What is the real time mileage are you getting (City and highway)? Ofcourse this question is not limited to mhawk100 owners alone.

Last edited by satish_tns : 28th August 2016 at 21:13.
satish_tns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2016, 21:37   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WAnyways, i started loving TUV300 mhawk100 after driving it again and again. Let me see if my destiny is going to make me an owner of TUV300 or S-Cross 1.3.. Ty all for your quick response..
You are most welcome. Since your decision is split between the TUV and S-Cross, I would like to know what are your exact requirements or expectations from a new car.

If your expectations are a rough road package, greater tolerance to abuse, occasionally carrying 6, 7 or 8 passengers, road presence, effortless driving in the hills, fuel efficiency is not a concern etc, then the TUV will be more suitable.

On the other hand if your expectations include effortless long distance cruising, good fuel efficiency, 4 or 5 passengers at the max, not so much importance to looks or road presence, then the S-Cross will suit you more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks