Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2016, 13:36   #1171

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

[quote=TaurusAl;3993475]Okay, here is the bad news. The party is OVER.

Today while driving to work, the AMT malfunction light turns amber and the car comes in neutral gear on its own and refuses to get into manual or AMT mode.

Quite a dangerous situation, if you are overtaking some vehicle and this happens ! I believe you should write to Mahindra and Mahindra directly about this and seek an explanation and also raise concern about the safety aspect. In an era where big automobile giants have no qualms about vehicle recall, Mahindra should also not shy away from fixing the problems in AMT by the way of recall. If they don't do it voluntarily, steps should be initiated to force them to !!
Old 10th June 2016, 16:29   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
I have booked a TUV300 T8 AMT 100 bhp model and received the VIN number from the dealer. The VIN number shows the month of manufacture as Mar 2016. My understanding is that Mahindra launched the 100bhp version recently, should this be an area of concern? The vehicle is currently in transit to Kolkata from Pune plant. Please advise.
The TUV 300 100 bhp is nothing but a retunned engine and second row seat change, so its quite obvious that 84 bhp units produced before announcement are now being converted to 100 bhp and you have received one such VIN.

But your news has a big catch for us. When we took up our case with Mahindra and asked them to upgrade our TUVs they straight away denied by saying we will be continuing sale of 84 bhp and that vehicle can't be converted to 100 bhp due to technical reasons. We said if it's a simple retuning then why can't that be done on our TUVs. Then they stared giving excuse of RTO papers, again we said take an undertaking from us and it will be our responsibility to get RTO work done. So then feeling loosing battle they have come with a new excuse in the name of data sent to ARAI. And they are still shamelessly advertising on their website that 84 bhp is "made to order", whereas dealers are denying availability of 84 bhps and not taking any bookings. Now it's fake practices all being translated to sales figures and shameless Mahindra still not coming out of its shell and thinking about helping its customers.

Top Mahindra officials including Anand mahindra, Pawan Goenka and Vivek nayer proudly tweet about restaurants and other non sense things but till date not single reply or response received on tweets sent to them in this regard.
ezee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2016, 20:44   #1173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked a TUV300 T8 AMT 100 bhp model and received the VIN number from the dealer.
If I were you, I would not be investing 10+L into the TUV AMT right now given the issues and response by Mahindra. Better to loose a few thousand by cancelling the booking than to spend time chasing MASS and loose peace of mind. The equation is simple, you might end up with a car that cant really drive because you never know when it will stop working and cant get rid off because the market value is a bummer.
procrj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 10:47   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
I have booked a TUV300 T8 AMT 100 bhp model and received the VIN number from the dealer. The VIN number shows the month of manufacture as Mar 2016. My understanding is that Mahindra launched the 100bhp version recently, should this be an area of concern? The vehicle is currently in transit to Kolkata from Pune plant. Please advise.
Friend, there are few things you need to understand:
1. A vehicle doesn't get manufactured after its launched. The manufacturing process would have started at least couple of months in advance. Only after 'the said' vehicle is manufactured, necessary approvals are got for commencement of sale. The company has to get this done (approval), across all the states before launch, which generally would take some time. You would have come across news that say, when new vehicle are launched, that the sale is limited to few states are cities, this is generally due to delay in approvals. So it is quite normal for the first batch vehicle to be 1~2 months old.

2. As suggested by few, moving an 84 bhp to 100 bhp is not a tuning job. That is 16 horses! YES a normal tuning would help in adding few horses but NOT 16, and these 16 are real (approved).

I guess few of them are relating it to software upgrade, like moving from one android version to other on same handset, which is not correct. Yes through reflashing the cars computer some horsepower, torque, and sometimes better fuel economy can be extracted.

A good 16 horses involve lot of electrical and mechanical inputs and you would be able to feel the difference.

Few AMT owners have been complaining of some issues of vehicle behaviours, you may want to check it. AMT driving is not like manual drive, kindly have test drives to check your ability and confidence in AMT.

I have few of my friends who have AMTs and have not faced any issues with more that 10~15K KM run so far.
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 13:48   #1175
BHPian

Thanks! Guys. Yes, I'm aware of the issues being reported but have friends who have been using AMT version without any issues like mentioned by @LoneRidder. I have done multiple test drives and am comfortable with AMT. One of the main reasons I opted for the TUV300 was for the AMT so hoping to have a niggle free ownership. Fingers crossed.
Old 13th June 2016, 14:21   #1176
BHPian

Made a Mumbai-Goa trip between 27.05.2016 and 06.06.2016 covering a distance of 1800 Kms. The entire drive was uneventful with the TUV300 (MT) behaving as it should. My observations,
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-miramar-04.06.2016-02.jpg

Mileage:
The Mumbai Goa distance is 650 Kms taking Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgavi-Goa (via Chorla Ghat) With total 3 passengers and moderate luggage (No carrier) (Speeds 80 Kmph - 110 Kmph)
Onward Journey : 14.5 Kmpl
Return Journey : 15.1 Kmpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Today while doing the weekly ritual of cleaning the car, thought of taking a sneak peek under the hood to check the coolant level. The level is tad below the minimum level mark. When I tried to open the coolant reservoir cap with both hands, it came off easily, as if it was not completely tightened. I also observed the coolant precipitate (white powdery deposits) on the threads. It seems when the engine was running very hot, the coolant must be boiling and the vapors might have tried to evaporate/escape through the loose cap. Later on after cooling it got condensed and precipitate got deposited on the reservoir cap. [/b]
Coolant:
I was alarmed by the low coolant posts, hence checked the coolant level before the journey. The level was in line with the MIN level mark (Not checked since taking delivery on 06.11.2015) on the reservoir. Took the car to the service station in Mumbai. the SA checked it and acted normal, he said they have equipment to check the coolant system and he will get a thorough check done.After around 4 hrs of wait he took me to the car. The coolant level was well over the MAX level (No charges) (Picture 01)
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv-coolant-level-25.05.2016-01.jpg
On my return I checked the level again. It was as seen in the (Picture 2) If you observe the level has gone down by over 6 mm (1800 km driven in 11 days 27.05 to 06.06 in hot weather.)
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv-coolant-level-06.06.2016-02.jpg

Magnetic Shades:
Installed Magnetic shades before the journey.Cost me ₹1200 online for a set of 6 (Front 2 with a zipper). They worked great to cut the glare.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-mag-shades-01.jpg
The Toll zipper was also extremely effective and useful (9 Toll booths Mumbai/Goa and 8 Toll Booths Goa/Mumbai) . In the evenings I just removed the front shades and kept it on the Parcel shelf I have made for my TUV300.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-mag-shades-02.jpg
Sirvoicar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 14:29   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post

2. As suggested by few, moving an 84 bhp to 100 bhp is not a tuning job. That is 16 horses! YES a normal tuning would help in adding few horses but NOT 16, and these 16 are real (approved).

I guess few of them are relating it to software upgrade, like moving from one android version to other on same handset, which is not correct. Yes through reflashing the cars computer some horsepower, torque, and sometimes better fuel economy can be extracted.

A good 16 horses involve lot of electrical and mechanical inputs and you would be able to feel the difference.
I beg to disagree, for a 84 bhp 1.5 litre engine to start producing 100 bhp in a turbo diesel would not be that difficult at all and would not need any hardware changes too. A mere remap would do the job.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 15:14   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirvoicar View Post

Coolant:
I was alarmed by the low coolant posts, hence checked the coolant level before the journey. The level was in line with the MIN level mark (Not checked since taking delivery on 06.11.2015) on the reservoir. Took the car to the service station in Mumbai. the SA checked it and acted normal, he said they have equipment to check the coolant system and he will get a thorough check done.After around 4 hrs of wait he took me to the car. The coolant level was well over the MAX level (No charges) (Picture 01)
Attachment 1517429
On my return I checked the level again. It was as seen in the (Picture 2) If you observe the level has gone down by over 6 mm (1800 km driven in 11 days 27.05 to 06.06 in hot weather.)
Attachment 1517430

Attachment 1517432
I think you need not be alarmed by coolant level fall in reservoir. I think it does not necessarily mean that TUV has consumed coolant. The reduced quantity of coolant could be in the radiator and / or plumbing. Resrvoir level, as shown by you in pic, keeps changing all through the drive, depending on temperature. Experts can point out if or if not I'm right here.
Old 13th June 2016, 18:22   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I think you need not be alarmed by coolant level fall in reservoir. I think it does not necessarily mean that TUV has consumed coolant. The reduced quantity of coolant could be in the radiator and / or plumbing. Resrvoir level, as shown by you in pic, keeps changing all through the drive, depending on temperature. Experts can point out if or if not I'm right here.
Well, true to some extent but after an overnight stop, the coolant level should be exactly where it was when when it was topped up. Ideally you never need to top up any coolant/water ever in the plastic coolant tank in between their entire replacement schedules. After my warranty has expired, I have been following a double replacement cycle for coolant as well as brake oil. My coolant was last changed at 96 thousand kilometers and its 1 lakh 26 thousand kilometers now, it has not gone down one bit and neither have I topped anything up in these 30 thousand kilometres. That is how it should be. I plan to get the entire coolant change at 1 lakh 36 thousand kilometers. Its a Swift Diesel btw.
humyum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 19:29   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
In 6 months of use after driving just 5000 km and getting the first service done at 2900 km. the coolant level in my TUV300 was at the line showing MIN. I was to take up a 650 km journey with my family, I was certainly worried.

Earlier, when my car was only 2 month old (Dec2015) at 2000 km I had taken the same journey. The car failed on the road after 503 Km of driving and had to be left in Belgavi (The FDM had failed and was replaced). Driving long distances with the family with such experience and the coolant level at the MIN is indeed alarming.
Old 14th June 2016, 00:19   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Coolant change interval:

First at 60000 Kms / 6 yrs. Then at 1.4 Lakh Kms - Mahindra Maximile Ultra Cool
This is the coolant change interval for TUV300 according to Mahindra. So how can Mahindra brush it off under the carpet. Contrary to claims that Mahindra have fixed the issue in later TUVs reports keep emerging about coolant levels dropping alarmingly.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 14th June 2016 at 00:21.
Old 14th June 2016, 04:23   #1182
Senior - BHPian

The coolant level should not go down. Its as simple as that. It is an airtight system.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 12:08   #1183
BHPian

Had been to solapur over weekend and on returning the odo now stands at ~3k.
So the tank was due for first service.
However on monday, when wifey drove the tank to office, the dreaded AMT flag was turned ON. She reached office and then called up the service center. A job card was created and to be on safer side the tank was towed to nearby service center.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160613_183657.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160613_183720.jpg

It was raining for a short while on our return journey. Apart from that we had a normal run.
Now wondering what did we do differently, or what must be root cause..

Yet to hear from the service center.
chetans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:19   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post

Yet to hear from the service center.
Yes.. please let us all know once you start getting the details.

We seem to have folks whose AMT's are working without issues and some with issues. It might or might not be a hardware issue. Could in all probability IMO turn out user issue in all cases.
Old 15th June 2016, 15:48   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawah View Post
It might or might not be a hardware issue. Could in all probability IMO turn out user issue in all cases.
Can you please explain what are you trying to say ? Does this mean, we AMT owners are not capable of driving and the car is breaking down due to driver's fault ? If yes, please give an insight on why you think in this manner and what wrong we AMT owners may be doing.

Update -
I got the vehicle back after 3 days. The team Mahindra has assured me it won't happen again, fingers crossed.

The whole experience was however very pleasant. Right from road assistance to the service adviser and the workshop manager kept updating about the situation. I was given a loner XUV to use till I got the car back.

On inquiring, the service manager showed me a transmission bolt which he claims had come lose and hence it interfered with the creep function of the vehicle resulting in malfunction light turning on. According to him there is nothing wrong with AMT system. I don't know how true is that. Will have to wait and watch how the car performs from hereon. Will keep updating as usual.

Last edited by TaurusAl : 15th June 2016 at 15:49.
TaurusAl is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks