Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 11:01   #1111
MCR
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Not sure if you have checked out the NCAP ratings and crash video of the Scorpio.

After driving the tank for ~9K km, I would suggest that you consider the TUV only if:
1. You need the space and love the SUVish driving dynamics
2. You are prepared to spend time at MASS fixing issues and living with the initial niggles
3. Drive sedately and dont feel the need to push the car around most times
Yes, I saw the video of the Crash test. But the statement from Mahindra, I felt, was more like blaming the authorities for not having any standards or rather like we are happy that there are no standards.
Coming to the TUV3OO, I am not sure how it would behave in a crash test.

Regarding the points you have mentioned about driving the TUV3OO, I completely agree and understand. Its true for most of the Ladder on frame SUV's I have driven a lot (likes of Safari, Scorpio etc.). Guess what, I experienced a huge understeer driving an EcoSport on the winding roads of Coorg and the RHS OVRM hit the bus coming from the opposite side.

I would not be happy if there are niggles present in the car and this what precisely I am not OK in my current car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
Was in exact same dilemma. Could not decide between S-Cross and the TUV till the last minute. Coming from Honda City, S-Cross may feel a bit high and SUV like. But me migrating from Ritz, the S-Cross was just few inches larger with the same engine of Ritz. Even few of the buttons used inside were identical to Ritz and Swift. This was kind of a turn off for me.

TUV on the other hand felt like a different breed all together. I was always a fan of jeep like 4-wheeler and my heart won over my mind. Not regretting the decision even one bit.

Do check out the Vitara Brezza as well. To me the car looks good, not test driven though.
I can relate to your point. I did not buy a Linea just because, it felt exactly like a Punto but with a boot attached!

I haven't driven the S-Cross, but I hope its good enough to be worth of the swap with Honda City.

Coming to Brezza, I have seen the car (which belongs to my colleague) but was not impressed with the quality of the interiors. Also it has a waiting time which I think now is close to 3 Months, which I don't appreciate at all.

Last edited by MCR : 19th May 2016 at 11:05. Reason: Typo
Old 19th May 2016, 11:17   #1112
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Since the engine was hot he waited for some time before opening the reservoir cap. On opening the cap the trapped vapors were released and the coolant level rose up by 5-6 mm, it seems when the engine is hot the pressurized coolant vapors push the level down. However it was just at the "Min" mark even after opening the cap.
I will observing the coolant level especially before and after the 500 km+ trip planned over this weekend and share the observations.

Edit: I forgot to mention, this top-up was a 10 mins job and neither any job card prepared nor I was charged a penny. The SA mentioned that during the initial period the coolant is consumed to some extent and hence the drop in level
Auto Indian, i remember you had an Indica and Innova later. Did you observe such a thing in these cars? (coolant going down without any apparent leakage any where)

In my Indica Vista, i had never observed such loss of coolant. I had replaced coolant at 40 K after buying the car as per service manual. Till then it never went down to minimum level and it remained like that till i sold it at 92K. I had bought one litre spare castrol coolant for long trip in March 2014. It is still there unopened.

Same is the case with my ARIA now, which has completed 37 K. Coolant levels gone down by a max of 1-2 mm. thats it. it never went to minimum level.

Better get it checked throughly.

Last edited by rkg : 19th May 2016 at 11:18.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:20   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
It would be good for NCAP or the manufacturer to test a "fully equipped model" and say how good or bad it is.
I read somewhere earlier, the rationale for not doing this was, taking a fully equipped model as base, and it coming out with a minimum of 3 or 4 * rating, would have been used by the marketing divisions of the manufacturers to profess that their vehicles are so certified. (And maybe a 1pt font "Conditions Apply)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Having said the above, Scorpio and TUV300 only use platform commonly. They are two different cars with different build.
Is the not the platform and structure is synonymous? Or is it being implied that the quality of metal and the nuts & bolts is different in different models.

And I am not talking about the 4*4 or they different types of suspensions or shock absorbers or power distributions being enforced for different models.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:52   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawah View Post
Is the not the platform and structure is synonymous? Or is it being implied that the quality of metal and the nuts & bolts is different in different models.
Platform is the 'base' on which a vehicle gets built. One platform can be used for multiple vehicles, allowing to share mechanical components including powerplants etc, but not necessary structure. Still, both the cars would be different car altogether. Shared platform helps in reduced cost of developing a new product, and most importantly reduced time to market.

The new Scorpio is developed on a modular platform that has the flexibility built in to go extended wheelbase, or be reduced to fit a sub-4 metre vehicle, like TUV300.

For example, Honda BR-V, and Mobilio use the same platform of Honda Brio. To conclude, the the safety features of each 'could' be different.
Old 19th May 2016, 23:35   #1115
BHPian

The below link mentions about the new tuv300 with mHawk100. Its only 8k more.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle8616505.ece

I wonder if existing owners can get their vehicles tuned? Can someone confirm on this?
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:10   #1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishee View Post
The below link mentions about the new tuv300 with mHawk100. Its only 8k more.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/met...cle8616505.ece

I wonder if existing owners can get their vehicles tuned? Can someone confirm on this?
Mahindra & mahindra has stated that they cannot upgrade the already registered cars because it is not permitted as per rules and laws of motor vehicle act.
Source :official Facebook page of Tuv300
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:42   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will observing the coolant level especially before and after the 500 km+ trip planned over this weekend and share the observations.
It seems coolant consumption is unusually high. I have checked coolant level yesterday and it was little over minimum mark. I did a top-up to maximum level only few days back on 16 May. There is no leakage as my parking area is clean. Previously top-up was done in January. It's just a five months old car. I will write to Mahindra customer care about this problem.
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:49   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked under the hood today and the coolant has maintained its level since the last week's top-up. Have covered 600+ kms since then, including the 490 kms return trip to Barshi (Dist-Solapur) on Saturday. Further details of the trip on my ownership thread over here ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3974263

Also fitted the CoverKraft Magnetic sun shades that I had ordered online from Snapdeal. Further details on this thread --->

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3979700

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
It seems coolant consumption is unusually high. I have checked coolant level yesterday and it was little over minimum mark. I did a top-up to maximum level only few days back on 16 May. There is no leakage as my parking area is clean. Previously top-up was done in January. It's just a five months old car. I will write to Mahindra customer care about this problem.
Edit: Airbus just now reading your message after I posted the above observations. Can you check if your coolant reservoir cap has been tightly put in place. I believe the only reason for coolant depletion could be the coolant vapors escaping through a loose cap. As mentioned above during my highway drive majority of the time my engine rpm was hovering between 2250 - 2500 rpm in 5th gear corresponding to 90-100kmph. Engine was on the boil as is usually the case during highway runs. However my coolant level has remained constant. Will keep it under observation till the 10K service.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:04   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Airbus just now reading your message after I posted the above observations. Can you check if your coolant reservoir cap has been tightly put in place. I believe the only reason for coolant depletion could be the coolant vapors escaping through a loose cap.
Yes AutoIndian, reservoir cap is tightly put in place. I had double checked after top-up and again verified yesterday.
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:12   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Yes AutoIndian, reservoir cap is tightly put in place. I had double checked after top-up and again verified yesterday.
Hmnn, OK. in that case the possibility of coolant getting consumed in the engine itself cannot be ruled out. Can you answer a couple of questions:
  • How are your driving conditions? I mean do you drive in chock-a-bloc traffic wherein the engine gets heated too much?
  • What is the rate of coolant level reduction? e.g. 5 mm over 1000 kms etc
  • Have you driven exclusively on highways e.g. 500 kms and then observed the coolant level?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:35   #1121
BHPian

I doubt but quality of coolant can also matter, as i have never seen a violet colour coolant as we have in our TUVs. Normally they are greenish.
Old 22nd May 2016, 23:38   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you answer a couple of questions:
  • How are your driving conditions? I mean do you drive in chock-a-bloc traffic wherein the engine gets heated too much?
  • What is the rate of coolant level reduction? e.g. 5 mm over 1000 kms etc
  • Have you driven exclusively on highways e.g. 500 kms and then observed the coolant level?
  • My one way office commute is about 30 mins - 9 kms, while I have couple of traffic signals to cross, it's not a very big problem. Road is good all throughout. I have covered car parking both in apartment and work place.
  • I have a top-up of coolant done on 16 May to the MAX level, in two days it went to mid-point of MIN - MAX and today it stands at 5 mm above MIN level. Hardly 100 kms driven from the last top-up.
  • While I had few trips of 300 - 400 kms (one way) but did not feel the need to check coolant as temperature gauge never crossed 5 bars. I have a 300 kms trip in June and will surely monitor coolant level.

I will call Sireesh Auto service tomorrow. I think this issue has cropped up after first service in March. Need to check if there is any loose connecting pipe where from coolant may evaporate. Temperature gauge is still showing normal temperature, maximum 5 bars.

Last edited by airbus : 22nd May 2016 at 23:40.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 11:18   #1123
BHPian

Whoa.. Tank just completed 11200 and came back from a long distance drive in a matter of 5 days.

Total Distance covered was 1250 + 1050 (Bangalore -> Vizag -> Bangalore), had to take few detours to visit relatives and Bangalore -> Vizag was raining all the way.

Fully Loaded with 5 adults and 2 kids(10 yrs and 14 yrs) and lots and lots of Luggage.

The Tank just pulled all the way without any issue(with an single niggle where the driver side seat belt retract was not happening) raised the same with Mahindra for a warranty replacement.

no issues with respect to engine noise (havent got for the last 8000 kms)
The AC was very well sufficient in settings 1 & 2 in the entire cabin

Overall mileage which i got was 13.5 to 14 kmpl(note these included both single roads with poth holes and highways.

These is how the beast looked somewhere on a state highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160518_175614.jpg  

Last edited by SPEEDY_RACER : 25th May 2016 at 11:21.
SPEEDY_RACER is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 12:02   #1124
BHPian

It has been a long time since I posted anything on Team-BHP. My TUV300 has covered 7150 Kms in the last six months. A week back, I drove from Mangalore to Lonavla. I had initially planned to visit Somnath, Gujarat with my family and visit Kolhapur, Bhimashankar and Nashik on the way. But unfortunately my brother and my father got busy with other commitments. So me, my mother, sister and my son travelled all by ourselves. I was apprehensive to drive till Gujarat as we were three women and a child, so I decided to drive till Kolhapur to be safe. We visited Murudeshwar Temple, Kolhapur Mahalaxmi temple, Lonavla and Adlabs Imagica at Khopoli (Mangalore - Murudeshwar - Kolhapur - Lonavla - Khopoli - Lonavla - Belgaum - Mangalore). Visiting Lonavla and Imagica was a last minute decision. I just wanted to make my son happy.

The trip lasted 6 days and we covered 1850 Kms. I was the only driver as my sister doesn't drive and I enjoyed driving the tank every moment. It performed simply superb! Had no issues anywhere. Loved the way it breezed through the ghats. Be it the ghats or the two lane highways, the broken roads or the expressway, my tank was steady and it displayed oodles of confidence. I truly fell in love with the tank. I hope it will never let me down. I had previously mentioned that TUV300 lacks power, but I was wrong. After the first service and the ECU flashing, I've noticed that it smoothly crosses 100 kmph without any hiccups and I was able to drive beyond 100 kmph without any struggle. The engine was very smooth.

My TUV300 is my pride and buying it is one of the best decisions I've made in my life. Love the roomy cabin, love the look which is tough and imposing, love the performance and above all, love the fact that it is made in India. It may not be perfect but as I've mentioned before, nothing is perfect in this world except for Mother Nature. After completing the last long trip successfully, I must say, "Praise the Lord and Praise Mahindra!"
I am sharing few pictures of the tank taken during the trip and some taken in my hometown. Please pardon me for the picture quality. For all tank owners, old and new, welcome to TUV brotherhood! Happy driving!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-6.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-1.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-7.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-9.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-5.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-2.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-3.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-photo-4.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20160509_192407.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20160513wa0000.jpg  

Titanium is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 12:14   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Whoa.. Tank just completed 11200 and came back from a long distance drive in a matter of 5 days.

Total Distance covered was 1250 + 1050 (Bangalore -> Vizag -> Bangalore), had to take few detours to visit relatives and Bangalore -> Vizag was raining all the way.
Vow, that is one heck of a trip. After three days of silence on this thread something good to read.

Quote:
Fully Loaded with 5 adults and 2 kids(10 yrs and 14 yrs) and lots and lots of Luggage.
Perfect mate, no other car better than the TUV for such a kind of passenger occupancy & luggage. I guess the kids might have occupied the 3rd row of seats. How was their comfort level throughout the journey, given that your tank encountered some bad roads?

Quote:
The Tank just pulled all the way without any issue(with an single niggle where the driver side seat belt retract was not happening) raised the same with Mahindra for a warranty replacement. no issues with respect to engine noise (havent got for the last 8000 kms)
Kudos for the near flawless trip. Yeah, the driver side seat belt not retracting completely is a problem in my TUV too from day one. However, I have not bothered to report it since, it is not that a major issue.

Quote:
The AC was very well sufficient in settings 1 & 2 in the entire cabin
. Inspite of having just the front AV vents, the blower speed of 1/2 is sufficient to keep the huge cabin cool in this blistering summer. However one must have sun shades or sun films (which are illegal) to retain the cooling.

Quote:
Overall mileage which i got was 13.5 to 14 kmpl(note these included both single roads with poth holes and highways.
That's quite decent, can't expect more for the kind of load, luggage and roads you encountered. For my recent 500 km trip, I could get 14.32 kmpl

Quote:
These is how the beast looked somewhere on a state highway.
Nice shot. Your tank deserves some more pics please. Are you contemplating on starting a travelogue for this trip?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks