Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2018, 16:28   #1171
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This thread came rushing to my mind when I read your post, but I was not sure because you did not mention any coolant leak. And there is no temperature gauge in the Figo/Aspire to monitor it.

If the coolant has leaked a lot, can you find any evidence of it? And won't the engine run hot even below those RPMs?
Ford ASS has confirmed regarding thermostat failure. Although replacement of the part under warranty is still being debated upon. What recourse do I have here.

The coolant has indeed leaked and was acknowledged by the Ford person who came to pick the car up.

Regarding the temperature gauge, the overheat light came on.

The coolant wasn't fully empty and maybe that's why it wasn't running hot below those rpm's.
Old 26th June 2018, 17:29   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
It is a common issue that i faced twice in the figo and got it sorted at the service center. Haven't faced the issue since a long time now though. Its takes hardly a 10-15 min job to get it sorted out.
Can you please elaborate/recollect on what has been done as rectification? Would be helpful for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Ford ASS has confirmed regarding thermostat failure. Although replacement of the part under warranty is still being debated upon. What recourse do I have here.
Because it is not a wear and tear item and the customer has not tampered with it or misused it, I can't think why the thermostat should not be replaced under warranty.
Old 26th June 2018, 17:47   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
It seems to be a damaged thermostat according to the Ford ASS, which is causing the coolant to leak.

Do I have some recourse in the sense of warranty? I have extended warranty and Zero Dep.
Apparently both 1.3 and 1.6 Ddis S-Cross engines suffer from the same problem and Maruti replaced it under warranty in multiple cases.
Yes, you should surely be able to get your thermostatat replaced under warranty. this is probably the first time however that I'm hearing of a damaged thermostat in a relatively new Figo.
Old 27th June 2018, 05:01   #1174
BHPian

Quote:

The coolant has indeed leaked and was acknowledged by the Ford person who came to pick the car up.

Regarding the temperature gauge, the overheat light came on.

The coolant wasn't fully empty and maybe that's why it wasn't running hot below those rpm's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
Yes, you should surely be able to get your thermostatat replaced under warranty. this is probably the first time however that I'm hearing of a damaged thermostat in a relatively new Figo.
I too had encountered the same problem during the 70k service of my Aspire. Since it was diagnosed in the initial stages, there wasn't much damage and only the 'O' ring of the thermostat had to be replaced. The whole thermostat would have costed more than 3000/- but since it was only the 'O' ring, it costed me only 80/- for the part and 300/- for labour. Coolant level had dropped but was half way between the minimum and maximum mark and therefore the car did not face over heating issue.

You can read about it in my long term ownership review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-000-km-5.html
auto_enthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 18:39   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
I too had encountered the same problem during the 70k service of my Aspire. Since it was diagnosed in the initial stages, there wasn't much damage and only the 'O' ring of the thermostat had to be replaced. The whole thermostat would have costed more than 3000/- but since it was only the 'O' ring, it costed me only 80/- for the part and 300/- for labour. Coolant level had dropped but was half way between the minimum and maximum mark and therefore the car did not face over heating issue.

[/url]
It turns out that this was the exact problem in my car, therefore I didn't do the effort of speaking to Ford India regarding this, but of all the people I asked at in the Ford ASS, everyone agreed that thermostat isn't covered under warranty.

Amazingly detailed and informative thread of yours, Good job!!
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 20:53   #1176
BHPian

I purchased a new Ford Figo (Diesel) just a few days ago. I noticed that when I floor the throttle it emits black smoke from the exhaust but quickly goes away once the turbo spools up / or the car reaches above 1800 rpm. To summarize, I get some black smoke from the exhaust if the load is high (more throttle pressed, but lower rpm). Is this normal behaviour from diesels?
(P.S: I didn't floor my new car, just stayed below 2500 rpm once the tacho hit that number and released the pedal)
Old 29th June 2018, 21:22   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typlo View Post
I purchased a new Ford Figo (Diesel) just a few days ago. I noticed that when I floor the throttle it emits black smoke from the exhaust but quickly goes away once the turbo spools up / or the car reaches above 1800 rpm. To summarize, I get some black smoke from the exhaust if the load is high (more throttle pressed, but lower rpm). Is this normal behaviour from diesels?
(P.S: I didn't floor my new car, just stayed below 2500 rpm once the tacho hit that number and released the pedal)
No need to worry. Its completely normal for diesels to emit a little bit of smoke under throttle and figo does it a little more. It seems to be trait of the ford engines. Please go through the ownership threads and other posts it has already been discussed.
blackbandit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 04:51   #1178
BHPian

My average in the city hovers from 10-13kmpl. Is this normal? I drive sedately 80% of the times. Highway FE is exceptional from 20-25 if driven below 90 but falls by a very high margin if driven above that.
Inputs appreciated.
Car is 4 months and 10.5k kms old, Diesel.
It is running on 195/55 R15 Conti MC5 on 7.5J momo revenge.
Old 30th June 2018, 18:03   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its normal since it's a 8 valve engine as well.
Surprisingly the previous gen Figo didn't smoke as much although it was the same 8 valve engine.
Try not to lug the engine and let the revs climb before upshifts, this way the engine internals will get less accumulated with soot and will help in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
My average in the city hovers from 10-13kmpl. Is this normal? I drive sedately 80% of the times. Highway FE is exceptional from 20-25 if driven below 90 but falls by a very high margin if driven above that.
Inputs appreciated.
Car is 4 months and 10.5k kms old, Diesel.
It is running on 195/55 R15 Conti MC5 on 7.5J momo revenge.
That's low for a sedately driven car. I get 13-14 kmpl in city with a 30% heavy foot driving.
Also on highways, the figures will not drop by a huge margin like in petrols. Are you calculating tankfull - tankfull?
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 22:09   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Its normal since it's a 8 valve engine as

====

Also on highways, the figures will not drop by a huge margin like in petrols. Are you calculating tankfull - tankfull?

Yes calculating tankful to tankful, one thing i would like to mention is that my car runs a lot for short distances. Like if it runs 50kms in a day, it would run 10 times for 5kms. Would that make a difference?
Old 30th June 2018, 22:56   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
Yes calculating tankful to tankful, one thing i would like to mention is that my car runs a lot for short distances. Like if it runs 50kms in a day, it would run 10 times for 5kms. Would that make a difference?
Of course yes, because more fuel is consumed on starting up of the engine as well as the car from a standstill. And, that is the only reason you are getting such a contrasting FE of 10kmpl in city and 25kmpl on the highway!
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 23:03   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Of course yes, because more fuel is consumed on starting up of the engine as well as the car from a standstill. And, that is the only reason you are getting such a contrasting FE of 10kmpl in city and 25kmpl on the highway!
Yes that is right, but that is not the only reason though. Whenever there is a cold start, the ECU burns a little more fuel than required, to reach operating temperatures faster. This is because the catalytic convertor needs to be at its operating temperature to have good efficiency of conversion, it's called the light-coloured temperature. So this wastes a little more fuel too - adding fuel to the fire
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 23:47   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Its normal since it's a 8 valve engine as well.
Surprisingly the previous gen Figo didn't smoke as much although it was the same 8 valve engine.
Try not to lug the engine and let the revs climb before upshifts, this way the engine internals will get less accumulated with soot and will help in the long run.
Wow. I didn't know it was an 8-valve engine. Regardless, it performs very well. And I've seen most diesel cars smoke up a bit if the engine is lugged. I reckon it is due to the fuelling of the diesel engine wherein fuel is added to unrestricted air to control the engine RPM. The lack of Diesel Particulate Filter in BS4 norms can be pointed out as the isolated factor for cars that produce unsightly smoke. The more expensive ones do have a DPF. Once the turbo spools up and forces enough air in, the smoke disappears automatically because a correct ratio is maintained.

Anyway, I'm facing an issue of hard gear-shifts, although I never feel like I'm gonna miss a shift, just hard shifts. To give you all a better picture, I frequently missed shifts on my Swift Dzire because of the crappy gearbox but it was smooth and light. On the Figo, it is just the opposite. I have to make a positive effort to switch to second, third and so forth. I'm thinking whether should I get it checked by the service centre or wait for the first service to get it done? Help would be appreciated.
Old 1st July 2018, 13:45   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
.... hard gear-shifts, although I never feel like I'm gonna miss a shift, just hard shifts. To give you all a better picture, I frequently missed shifts on my Swift Dzire because of the crappy gearbox but it was smooth and light. On the Figo, it is just the opposite. I have to make a positive effort to switch to second, third and so forth. I'm thinking whether should I get it checked by the service centre or wait for the first service to get it done?....
The gear shifts on the Figo are 'HARD', there's no two ways about it. But, I am saying it in a positive way.The gears slot in quite nicely, actually(with the exception of the reverse gear which is a pain in the neck!). I have never really disliked it having driven the car(diesel variant) for more than 90K KMs so far. Only thing is, you would get free gym sessions for you left biceps during your drives

P.S.: I would still suggest you to get it checked at the service centre in your next visit to see if the gearshifts are extraordinarily hard, even by Figo standards!!
espraveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 13:51   #1185

Yesterday, I was driving back from Kozhikode (Kerala) to Cochin and on the way I started hearing a rattling and a squeaking sound, like something under the car is shaking and loose. It was the middle of nowhere, but somehow managed to find a local garage to get it check immediately. They quickly found the issue. The exhaust pipe was disconnected from the engine!

Ford Figo : Official Review-img_5583.jpg

How did this happen ? The car is just close 19k kms on the ODO and under 2 yrs of ownership. I baby the car around everywhere and this happens!

The pipe seemed to have rusted off from the connection joint to the engine. This also explains why my average mileage was low since the past few weeks. The mechanic said that the pipes are supposed to be heavier than whats in my figo. So the blame goes on the thin pepsi can sheets that they use on the exhaust pipes.

Ford Figo : Official Review-img_5584.jpg

Ford Figo : Official Review-img_5585.jpg

Has anyone else been through this? Or is this just a one off ? Also, my horn stopped working. Everything under 2 yrs of ownership.

I was proud of this car, but now a bit of doubt has set in.

Any suggestions of how I should raise this issue to ford india?

Details:

Ford Figo Titanium TDCI August 2016 model
ODO 18,945 Kms
From Kairali Ford (Cochin-Kerala)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks