Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2019, 15:18   #1276
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecar View Post
Though not sure but it can be due to improper wheel balancing. First get all the four wheels balanced and then see.

Also, please check if the tyres have worn out in a particular fashion due to improper alignment and thus cause vibration at a particular speed.

Hope this helps in solving your problem.

Regards.
Wheel alignment was done, one day before the drive. Didn't go for wheel balancing since normally for a new set of tire, with hardly 1000-2000km range under its belt, is not considered necessary. But yeah thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Is your's a diesel model?
This shuddering could be due to turbo spooling up. Try to notice the vibrations at the same rpm in lower gears as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Turbo spooling will have nothing to do with any vibrations.
Also, being a diesel, this engine is one of the smoothest in NVH.

The issue is with the rims or tyres. I would suggest getting the balancing checked again at a competent place.
Its petrol engine. As informed in my post, I did wheel alignment and not wheel balancing. Will do that too. And after alignment while driving I did find that car movement is not leaning towards any side. So looks like, at least that part is fine. Any suggestions in Bangalore nearby Kalyan Nagar or KR puram or Horamavu for competent dealers? I stay in Ramamurthy Nagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This sounds like a balancing issue. On an empty highway, try pressing the clutch or cost in neutral at that speed and notice if the vibrations are still the same. If so, it definitely is related to the wheels.
Will do the wheel balancing and then see if that solves. The issue is this happens exactly at 110km/hr speed and not above or below that. So I need a good clear testing ground for the same. Probably mid of April I'm again travelling to Kerala. So will test it done.
Old 1st April 2019, 15:41   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susheel_kainat View Post
Wheel alignment was done, one day before the drive. Didn't go for wheel balancing since normally for a new set of tire, with hardly 1000-2000km range under its belt, is not considered necessary. But yeah thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try.
You will need to do the balancing once the tyres are replaced as well. I don't think alignment is necessary after a new set.

Quote:
Any suggestions in Bangalore nearby Kalyan Nagar or KR puram or Horamavu for competent dealers? I stay in Ramamurthy Nagar.
If you can make time, visit Madhu's on Langford road.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2019, 16:13   #1278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed that there is steering vibration exactly at 100 km/hr and nothing before or beyond that mark (tested max till 160 km/hr).
Since this is at very specific speeds, could be due to the Electronic Power steering. Since the EPS stiffens up at high speeds, this vibration could be in the transitions phase.

Maybe you can TD a similar petrol model to check if its felt in other cars as well.
Old 1st April 2019, 16:58   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Since this is at very specific speeds, could be due to the Electronic Power steering. Since the EPS stiffens up at high speeds, this vibration could be in the transitions phase.

Maybe you can TD a similar petrol model to check if its felt in other cars as well.
I never felt this in my car until I changed from MRF to GoodYear. The SA said that the MRF tires have so much of tire noise due to un-even wall (he did show me the un-eveness) and hence suggested to get it changed under warranty. When I checked online I did see a drive on changing all such faulty MRF tires to other brands during servicing by Ford. Prior to the tire change, I had no issues and tire noise was not something that I was really concerned about.
Old 1st April 2019, 17:11   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I checked online I did see a drive on changing all such faulty MRF tires to other brands during servicing by Ford. Prior to the tire change, I had no issues and tire noise was not something that I was really concerned about.
Since this is at very specific speeds, as others have already pointed out, it should likely be a wheel balancing issue. Each time you remove the tyres from the wheels, you have to balance them. You dont need alignment each time the tyre is removed though. You have done the reverse and got the alignment but not the balancing.

Since the MRF had uneven sidewalls as pointed by the dealership, the wheel would have been balanced for that unevenness. Now that the Goodyears dont have the same unevenness, definitely the weights need to be at a different place on the wheels to provide the proper balance and avoid any vibrations. Hope this makes it clear why balancing is recommended each time the tyre is removed from the wheel. Get the balancing done at a competent tyre shop and you should be sorted.
abhinav.s is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 17:51   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
@All - As part of Ford undergoing replacement of MRF with other brand tires (I got Good Year endurance) and got it changed for all 4 tires. Though I told them to get Wheel alignment done, I doubt its really taken care. After the change while driving back to Bangalore, I noticed that there is steering vibration exactly at 100 km/hr and nothing before or beyond that mark (tested max till 160 km/hr). Once I reached back to Bangalore, I got the wheel alignment done in MRF showroom (Kalyan Nagar) and certainly there was some corrections made by them. Then later after one month again while travelling back to Kerala, I noticed that the vibration has now shifted to 110 km/hr. There is no shuddering in the break pedals or anything. But whenever I increase the speed and when it reaches 110 km/hr, I can feel the car vibrating as long as I stay in that speed. Once I increase it vanishes away and again when I slow down (both by braking or releasing Accelerator) from higher speeds and again it vibrates when it reaches 110 km/hr. Kind of strange why only at that speed. Since this appears only at that speed, there is no way these service advisers can check that unless they take it to NH. So before I hear any cooked up story from them I wanted to hear from you guys if anyone here has felt the same problem and what can possibly go wrong. For your information this is 2016 Titanium model Figo.
@All, As suggested by many, went ahead to MRF showroom for wheel balancing and oh boy, the weights were imbalance in all the tires. What must have happened is, the Service Center people when they changed from MRF to Good Year, they had maintained the same weights of last time and never cared to check it or atleast inform me to get it done. The imbalance was in the range of 95g, 70g, 45g and 55g. Didnt care to check the stepney tires since they were never used and is still MRF.
I sincerely hope, this solves the issue. Will do the actual test this coming weekend while travelling to Kerala. Thanks to all for the suggestion and correcting me to make sure that we always do a wheel balancing everytime we change tires. Some pointers:
  • Wheel Alignment to be done every 5k~10k ODO range or whenever we feel there is movement sideways and not maintaining straight line.
    Wheel balancing to be done every time we change the tires or 10k range.
    Wheel rotation to be done every 5k~10k range especially depending upon how we take corners or curves. Those staying in hilly areas having lot of curves will end up having lot of wear and tire on front tires than rear tires. So its important to do wheel rotation every 5k range for them.
Old 13th April 2019, 11:54   #1282

Quote:
@All, As suggested by many, went ahead to MRF showroom for wheel balancing and oh boy, the weights were imbalance in all the tires. What must have happened is, the Service Center people when they changed from MRF to Good Year, they had maintained the same weights of last time and never cared to check it or atleast inform me to get it done. The imbalance was in the range of 95g, 70g, 45g and 55g. Didnt care to check the stepney tires since they were never used and is still MRF.
I sincerely hope, this solves the issue. Will do the actual test this coming weekend while travelling to Kerala. Thanks to all for the suggestion and correcting me to make sure that we always do a wheel balancing everytime we change tires. Some pointers:
  • Wheel Alignment to be done every 5k~10k ODO range or whenever we feel there is movement sideways and not maintaining straight line.
    Wheel balancing to be done every time we change the tires or 10k range.
    Wheel rotation to be done every 5k~10k range especially depending upon how we take corners or curves. Those staying in hilly areas having lot of curves will end up having lot of wear and tire on front tires than rear tires. So its important to do wheel rotation every 5k range for them.
It is always a good practice to get the WA / WB and rotation done outside ASS every 5k kms.
Old 14th April 2019, 08:04   #1283
BHPian

Did a small experiment with the figo and should say it turned out to be better than I expected. Swapped the dampers to the ones from the 2015 fiesta. Gone is that loose sound and now there is a damped thud when the car goes over a bump or drops into a pothole. These dampers with the eibach lowering springs is a what the figo should have been. Car doesnt go light even at speeds that might sound crazy. At triple digit speeds taking corners there is barely any roll and the car squats as the speed rises. These with Yokohama S drives has become a dream combination. The downside ride has become quite stiff. It does get jerky when the road surface Is bumpy. You do move around and even the passengers do feel the road surface too( also because of the tyres). From driving a fiesta (apart from the steering feel in a straight light) the figo comes very close to what a Ford should handle like.
HOTROD is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 20:59   #1284
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
Did a small experiment with the figo and should say it turned out to be better than I expected. Swapped the dampers to the ones from the 2015 fiesta. Gone is that loose sound and now there is a damped thud when the car goes over a bump or drops into a pothole. These dampers with the eibach lowering springs is a what the figo should have been. Car doesnt go light even at speeds that might sound crazy.
That's makes it a must buy now. Please share the breakup of the cost involved. If you can share the model number of parts from the discarded cartons that would help us to shield ourselves from being conned when trying to source the parts.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 08:32   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
That's makes it a must buy now. Please share the breakup of the cost involved. If you can share the model number of parts from the discarded cartons that would help us to shield ourselves from being conned when trying to source the parts.
I have already discarded the boxes. Did a part number search online and went to mahaveer agencies. A genuine spare parts dealer in Chennai. Has a huge network and official parts dealer. Gave him the vin number of a friends car and got the parts.
. But let me tell you..car does get bouncy on bad roads.. uneven road surfaces. Try them with the stock springs first. Then try to get eibach. Pretty sure it can now run rings around the figo S
HOTROD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 11:51   #1286
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the suspension from the Figo S a direct fit on regular Figo? In that case a suspension + 15" alloy wheel should get one something close to the Figo S right?
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 11:52   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
car does get bouncy on bad roads.. uneven road surfaces. Try them with the stock springs first. Then try to get eibach. Pretty sure it can now run rings around the figo S
Do you mean that the Fiesta dampers are compatible with stock springs of a Figo/Aspire? If so, can you please tell how much do the dampers cost?
The noisy thud of the stock suspension setup combined with a more pronounced body roll in my Aspire is a bit of an irritation to me.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 13:15   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Do you mean that the Fiesta dampers are compatible with stock springs of a Figo/Aspire? If so, can you please tell how much do the dampers cost?
The noisy thud of the stock suspension setup combined with a more pronounced body roll in my Aspire is a bit of an irritation to me.
The springs I got were for the figo. Eibach lowering springs. The were a no hassle fit on the dampers that I got.ie fiesta dampers, but be careful. The platform for the figo is from the classic fiesta but the front suspension design and mounts are from the global fiesta. The knuckles are the four holes one from the global fiesta. Try the springs from the figo S with these stiffer dampers should help

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is the suspension from the Figo S a direct fit on regular Figo? In that case a suspension + 15" alloy wheel should get one something close to the Figo S right?
That has always been my doubt. When I asked with my friend vin number the part number was the same. I am sure the suspension mounts should be the same and also the size and all that. That is why I went for the fiestas. Like I said with the fiesta dampers and eibach springs car has barely any bodyroll..( tyres also play a role here)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th April 2019 at 21:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
HOTROD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 18:55   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I had posted the details in an earlier post here (Ford Figo : Official Review). It is indeed a direct fit and there is a good difference in running this set up. I am running just the Figo S springs and 15" alloy set up and can feel a good difference compared to the stock Figo setup.
abhinav.s is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 20:58   #1290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I had posted the details in an earlier post here (Ford Figo : Official Review). It is indeed a direct fit and there is a good difference in running this set up. I am running just the Figo S springs and 15" alloy set up and can feel a good difference compared to the stock Figo setup.
Thanks for sharing - does this also mean that Freestyle can have the same modifications and be brought close to what the Figo S was? My mind says it can be - still checking in case anyone has moved in this direction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks