Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:46   #691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo Oxford White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Loved the car for its simplicity, ride and power
Upgraded tyres to 185 65 R14 Michelin XM2 which improved the ride and reduced road noise
Congrats @sandygordon

Some questions though. What was the deal you got for the older tires? Did Ford say anything about suspension warranty in changing to wider tires? How is the in-city bottom end pull in lower gears, better than the S-Cross? Any idea how long is the waiting period for non-white colors?
Old 2nd October 2016, 13:42   #692
BHPian

Buy back of mrf zvts for Rs 2750 per tyre. Michelin for Rs 4900 per tyre.

As per sa up sizing tyres to 15 voids warranty. Visually only a keen eye can identify the upgrade to wider rubber.

In city bottom end pull is good. I d say the pull is good till 50kmph. Post 60 kmph to 100 is a very smooth progress while you get a decent shove on the 1.3 MJD. This guy reaches 50 in blink of an eye and that's where the difference lies compared to a remapped 1.3. It is smooth acceleration till 110kmph in 5th post which wind noise creeps in and is a bit disturbing.

Waiting period is 3 to 4 weeks for the colour of choice. Blue takes longer to deliver. Trend is available in almost all colours.
sandygordon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 18:52   #693
BHPian

Quote:
At last the Ford Figo is here......
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
........than the S-Cross?.....
Congratulations @sandygordon!!

I am interested in the comparison with the S-Cross engine as well. There's a Swift diesel in my family which gives me a fair idea as to how the Figo diesel fares vis-a-vis the 1.3MJD in the 74BHP state of tune(I've been driving the new Figo TDCi for the last 11months). Am just a little curious about the comparison with the 'National Diesel Engine' in the 89BHP state of tune (S-Cross is a heavier car, not fair to compare its engine with that of the Figo, but still, just for the sake of curiosity!)

Last edited by espraveen : 2nd October 2016 at 19:01.
Old 2nd October 2016, 19:34   #694
BHPian

[quote=espraveen;4068241]Congratulations @sandygordon!!

I am interested in the comparison with the S-Cross engine as well. /QUOTE]

To be frank it is not fair to compare the two cars
S Cross, even though less powerful is entirely in a different segment.

The engine bottom end of the 1.3 s cross is not that great (before the remap). It takes time to spool the turbo and reach 1800 rpm, after which the progress is fast. Engine feels smooth though noisy. You need more gear changes to keep it awake. Clutch action is short and smooth. More over the confidence that it gives makes me drive it faster than the figo. Irrespective of the potholes, road surface, rain or sun, S cross can just go on and on.

It is true that Figo TCDi is the winner here as far as engine power and pull is concerned. Real world performance below 80 kmph is also better. Statistics state that Figo is the fastest diesel hatch under 10 L.

Post remap the 1.3 engine delivers 118ps and 240nm of torque. The slingshot overtakes are sweet and I would be more comfortable in the S Cross. May be I need more time with the Figo to get used to its pedals and gear ratios.
sandygordon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 22:38   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
There's a Swift diesel in my family which gives me a fair idea as to how the Figo diesel fares vis-a-vis the 1.3MJD in the 74BHP state of tune(I've been driving the new Figo TDCi for the last 11months).
This comparison will be great for me (and many like me, maybe) as I am contemplating (still) between the Figo, Swift and the Liva. Do let me know the overall comfort levels (ease of driving and NVH plus suspension) too.
Old 4th October 2016, 06:47   #696
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

Has any one done a vinyl wrap of the Figo roof? If yes please post pictures. I am planning vinyl wrap of roof and mirrors. Also has anyone attempted smoking the headlamps? May be I ll powder coat the alloys as well. Final product should look like the Ka+ White and Black edition as shown below.

Ford Figo : Official Review-white-black.jpg

Too many white figo aspire trends / ambiente s plying as taxis around. Would love to stand out.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 07:04   #697
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Figo sandygordon! Any reason why you didn't try the 1.5 DCT? As a second car for the city, it would have made more sense right?

Quote:
May be I ll powder coat the alloys as well.
Should look good. Like the Black edition of the EcoSport. Do you know any place in Kochi where they do powder coating? I tried but couldn't find any for the Fiesta. I was told its not available in Kochi. Don't want to spray paint the wheels.
Old 4th October 2016, 07:15   #698
BHPian

Thanks deetjohn
My daily run is around 30 to 50km. Moreover i have 2 to 3 container road runs per day. In addition a couple of weekend trips to ancestral home 40 km away.
Old 4th October 2016, 07:23   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This comparison will be great for me (and many like me, maybe) as I am contemplating (still) between the Figo, Swift and the Liva. Do let me know the overall comfort levels (ease of driving and NVH plus suspension) too.
Ease of driving :

Figo TDCi - Gear change action is a little notchy +clutch throw is longer (but you've got the torque +99bhp to compensate for it)

Swift diesel - It has the distinguished pedigree(for the segment) w.r.t. driving dynamics. Clutch +gear knob combination is better than Figo in my opinion!

Liva - I haven't driven it but have seen and heard that the clutch+gear knob combination is quite comfortable and the car scores well there.

NVH levels : All three cars are more or less on the same platform in this aspect in my opinion!
espraveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 09:17   #700
BHPian

After driving the Figo tdci for about 2k kms, I think it is not one for the twisties. It is best suited for 4 lane straight roads with only slight curves, where you can maximize the engine's potential.

In slow curved roads, the notchy gearshift and long (though light) clutch might be detracting. I am yet to find that telepathic connect where you can chuck the car easily and position it as you want - which was the case in the old figo, the ikon and the polo (to a lesser extent).

I suspect it has something to do with my unusually heavy steering - it is heavier than the polo at city speeds. Maybe it is an issue specific to my car? would like inputs for this please.

And I have noticed that the acceleration from second gear, below 20kmph is not great, due to turbo lag. I find myself shifting down to first after speed bumps.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 09:24   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
I suspect it has something to do with my unusually heavy steering - it is heavier than the polo at city speeds. Maybe it is an issue specific to my car? would like inputs for this please.

And I have noticed that the acceleration from second gear, below 20kmph is not great, due to turbo lag. I find myself shifting down to first after speed bumps.
Are you running the correct tire pressures? The Figo has been criticized for an overly light steering, particularly at city speeds, so your experience is definitely unique.

Ford Figo : Official Review-fordfigoaspire20.jpg

Also, are you running stock sized tires (175/65 R14) or have you upsized them?

If you're at the recommended tire pressures and running stock tires, then its something worth getting checked out - with a wheel alignment first, and then with Ford service.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 09:37   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Also, are you running stock sized tires (175/65 R14) or have you upsized them?

If you're at the recommended tire pressures and running stock tires, then its something worth getting checked out - with a wheel alignment first, and then with Ford service.
I'm running stock tyres/rims with 30 front/ 32 rear, and with max 2 passengers. I have been to the ford service once, a guy took a trial and said it is alright. I sort of expected that anyway. Will raise the issue again in first service.

The steering weight also randomly changes slightly. For example, at the start of turn in, it is smooth and light, and suddenly weighs up a bit - like some sort of a delayed response or damping. Anyway, nothing "un-driveable" but yes, takes away from the fun.
wantarangerover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 10:04   #703
BHPian

Steering response is varied. And it's no fun to Chuck into corners like say the fiesta or old gen swift. I think it's because of the soft suspension. Figo is more of a workhorse than a handler and it does a good job of it..
Old 4th October 2016, 23:12   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
..... my unusually heavy steering - it is heavier than the polo at city speeds. Maybe it is an issue specific to my car? would like inputs for this please.... And I have noticed that the acceleration from second gear, below 20kmph is not great, due to turbo lag. I find myself shifting down to first after speed bumps.
The new Figo's steering is indeed very light. It weighs up to an extent as the car accelerates. On the whole, one can say it's comfortable to manoeuvre (and yes! we can't expect much of a feedback from it like the previous gen Figo!!). I think you should observe it further and get it checked at the service centre if the heaviness is beyond comfortable limits.

The second gear does have some turbo-lag, especially in the speed-bump situations you've mentioned. But I think it can be overcome to an extent if we can carry some momentum into the speed-bump (timing of the clutch operation comes into picture here). I used to face this turbo-lag thing initially. It's there even now, but I am able to avoid it more often than not
espraveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2016, 21:00   #705
BHPian

Question to Figo owners

I am a person who have driven only multijet diesels, swift, dzire and the s cross. Figo TCDi has almost no turbo lag and has good petrol like acceleration which I like a lot. But post 90kmph in 5th gear the engine feels coarse, strained and sounds being pushed beyond its comfortable limits. The engine strain makes me limit the speeds to below 90kmph on open roads. May be I am used to the free revving multijets which is a generation ahead. I know TCDi has a small turbo and proportionately small turbo kick, but that makes me less confident in overtakes at 60-80kmph.

Will the engine open up a bit more after running in ?
Can a remap help to modify the nature of the engine ?
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks