Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 17:57   #751
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Looks pretty decent with the 17" alloys.
Offer AT in Storme. There would be some attraction towards it.
Offering AT would be a game changer but at a price, literally. Since AT would, in all probability, be offered with the VX and VX 4x4, the OTR price of the top end Storme would go over INR 20 lacs. Would there be a market at this price is the moot question, given the competition in the SUV segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Well, for me 17" Alloys with AT tires and bit more of ground clearance is far more important than Android Auto and all that jazz. Pity, TATA only changed the alloys without any change in overall ground clearance.
I agree. I too would prefer a more rugged vehicle with a higher ground clearance.
Old 16th October 2018, 19:58   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Offering AT would be a game changer but at a price, literally. Since AT would, in all probability, be offered with the VX and VX 4x4, the OTR price of the top end Storme would go over INR 20 lacs. Would there be a market at this price is the moot question, given the competition in the SUV segment.
Good question. But, tell me one vehicle that's like the "Safari" and coupled with AT. There is no proper SUV AT less than 25L anyway. For the ride that Storme provides, I am sure there would be countable takers.

Anyway, we are talking about something thats not going to happen unless TML wants to keep lights on Storme. So, lets park this discussion for now

Prem.
Old 16th October 2018, 20:20   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Good question. But, tell me one vehicle that's like the "Safari" and coupled with AT. There is no proper SUV AT less than 25L anyway. For the ride that Storme provides, I am sure there would be countable takers.

Anyway, we are talking about something thats not going to happen unless TML wants to keep lights on Storme. So, lets park this discussion for now

Prem.
Agreed, that this is a hypothetical discussion but there are quite a few threads on the forum devoted to such discussions. The one regarding the 2018 Jimny is a classic example.

Even after Maruti has clarified that it has no plans to launch the vehicle in India, in the short or medium term, there is so much speculation. Only over the last few days has there been a lull in activity.

Btw, Prem, what is your personal take on the Storme? Is it going to be discontinued? On is the brand going to be retained and a completely new vehicle launched, redesigned from scratch?
Old 16th October 2018, 20:24   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
Btw, Prem, what is your personal take on the Storme? Is it going to be discontinued? On is the brand going to be retained and a completely new vehicle launched, redesigned from scratch?
My personal take/wish is that Storme should continue on sale and AT should be offered soon. I would definitely be buying one.
To me, it ticks every requirement [to me and my family] and only because of no AT, I ended up with City CVT I know, its no match at all.
I am fine with its existing avatar and personally don't like the cross-over designed SUV.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 20:34   #755
BHPian

Quote:
My personal take/wish is that Storme should continue on sale and AT should be offered soon. I would definitely be buying one.
To me, it ticks every requirement [to me and my family] and only because of no AT, I ended up with City CVT I know, its no match at all.
I am fine with its existing avatar and personally don't like the cross-over designed SUV.
Great to actually connect with a fellow traveler who doesn't like cross-over SUVs.

I too hope that the Storme continues in its present avatar, at least for the foreseeable future. AT would be a great addition, but for me the lack of AT would not be a deal breaker.
Old 16th October 2018, 20:48   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yes it needed 17" alloys and yes they look good.
But a LOT more should have been done.
Exactly my point. 17" alloys + Better Head Unit = More Meaningful Update

Quote:
Looks pretty decent with the 17" alloys.
Offer AT in Storme. There would be some attraction towards it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Absolutley. With AT and 4WD, I would love to have one in my garage as replacement for my Duster 4WD. They can source the same ASIN 6-Speed gearbox that is offered in the Scorpio 4WD Automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Well, for me 17" Alloys with AT tires and bit more of ground clearance is far more important than Android Auto and all that jazz. Pity, TATA only changed the alloys without any change in overall ground clearance.
For a car costing so much it lacks a decent MID. Yes for offroading bigger tyres help. Adding the superb autobox from Hexa would have given a shot in the arm to Safari.

Wish list before the new gen Safari arrives : Better MID, Better Head Unit, Autobox, Better Dashboard and storage spaces. But then who will buy Hexa?
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 20:54   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
For a car costing so much it lacks a decent MID. Yes for offroading bigger tyres help. Adding the superb autobox from Hexa would have given a shot in the arm to Safari.
Yes it lacks a decent MID. But at that price it is not overpriced for what it offers compared to what we have in market.
Anyways, I don't think they want to revive it. IMO, they will stop the production if Harrier get any success
Old 16th October 2018, 21:38   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Wish list before the new gen Safari arrives : Better MID, Better Head Unit, Autobox, Better Dashboard and storage spaces. But then who will buy Hexa?
Hexa is [and should be] positioned against Innova Crysta and XUV 500. The re-loaded Storme, if it comes, in its own price segment.
Harrier is not for me if Storme arrives in AT & few necessary titbits listed above.
May be, TML can launch Discovery as Storme

I am sure, collectively, TML's UV segment would do well.

Prem.
Old 16th October 2018, 22:42   #759
BHPian

My story guys.

If I remember correctly, Storme was launched in 2012.
Waited and waited for Tata to provide an AT variant on the Storme. Hexa also got launched meanwhile, that had AT. Even booked it. But cancelled the booking.

Finally in 2018, that's 6 years of waiting for Tata to give an AT, I bought the Storme. Partly due to the rumors that Tata will discontinue this very soon. But more because, this is really the vehicle I always wanted.

Long story short - most likely Tata will not put an AT on the Storme, it is too late already.
If you want it, just get it. Once you mount the elephant, you'll not miss the MID. 100%.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 11:03   #760
Team-BHP Support

Whichever [H5X or Storme] has better GC [approach angle is a big question mark] would get my vote.

AT or not, would prefer a HU with Android Auto/Car Play, not many other features required and please Tata, do not increase prices further. The 16 inch wheels would have been better, with 17 inch, the aspect ratio might have been lowered and the tires are almost twice the cost of a 16 inch.
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:02   #761
BHPian

New 17inch alloys on the Storme 400.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 13:47   #762
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra is working on the newer then Scorpio. Tata it’s time you think of turning your marginal focus on this legendary beast to upgrade it to a better SUV than it is now! Certainly I don’t want to see Storme driving down towards the sunset.
Old 23rd December 2018, 15:36   #763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Mahindra is working on the newer then Scorpio. Tata it’s time you think of turning your marginal focus on this legendary beast to upgrade it to a better SUV than it is now! Certainly I don’t want to see Storme driving down towards the sunset.
At the very least - provide ABS and airbags on the base and EX variants. Can't believe it's still only on the top end in 2018.

Sometimes I get this Safari nostalgia and feel that this truck is the most vehicle for the price of the base variants, but makes zero case for itself just because of these two missing essential safety features.
Old 23rd December 2018, 15:44   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
At the very least - provide ABS and airbags on the base and EX variants. Can't believe it's still only on the top end in 2018.

Sometimes I get this Safari nostalgia and feel that this truck is the most vehicle for the price of the base variants, but makes zero case for itself just because of these two missing essential safety features.
Ya. In the current modern computer taken over SUV era, Storme is just out there RAW but lacks the essential safety features like you mentioned. Tata hasn’t really focused on this car. They’re busy revamping their entire design team to have more cars like Tiago, Tigor, Nexon & Harrier hit the shores.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 15:46   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
New 17inch alloys on the Storme 400.
Thanks, had been wanting to see one in flesh. Looks good and well proportioned, than the 16s IMO. I just wish they'd changed the new alloys' color shade to something darker, maybe a gunmetal shade!
Request the experts to comment if it'll be a straight swap with the 16s or would need ABS caliberation etc.!?
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks