Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 16:07   #826
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I think they try to be on the safe side. During my service day-before yesterday, they did point out the wear-out on mine - approx 1.9mm wear. But I have done 93k.

A lot depends on your style of braking.

Btw, have you replaced the pads yet ? if yes, when ? My brake-pads were replaced @ 48k approx, and still have a little life left in them. If you have not replaced the brake pads yet, then discs should not come up for replacement so soon. The brake-pads should come up for replacement first, before the discs.

Btw, FWIK, the brakes should get noisy in a typical way when either are nearing EoL
I got all the pads replaced once, during a routine service in 2018, under AMC, @ 35K kms. At that time, somehow the front ones (specially the left side) had almost reached EoL by that time. The right front was still ok, along with the rears.
You're probably right about the driving style part, which is why, post that I've consciously tried to change my driving style, to use more engine braking.

The fact that the current pads are still good for atleast another 8-10K, and there are no other tell tale signs (noise) otherwise, made me wonder why the discs are nearing their EoL!? I've done another 4K kms post this service now, and I still dont hear/see any signs; the SA had given me only 3K kms of life left on the discs.

Anyway, since I don't have any upcoming road trips in the near future, will try and stretch this as long as it doesn't complain.

Btw, congrats on the 93K milestone! Am guessing you must have changed the timing belt sometime earlier, when!? And would that entail an oil change by default?! The manual suggests to change at the 5yr mark and I'll complete 5 in May first week this year. But since I changed the oil last Jun only, (and with limited running) was just curious if I can stretch the belt change, maybe until Oct-Nov this year.
Old 20th January 2021, 16:51   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
.. you must have changed the timing belt sometime earlier, when!? And would that entail an oil change by default?! .
I did get the timing belt changed at 4.5 year mark. Not connected to oil change, but water pump yes - used the kit. The 5 year mark is a good recommendation - we saw some fraying of the belt when we opened it.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 07:34   #828
BHPian

Wanted to know has anyone got roof lamp installed at the boot of the Storme?
My previous Safari Dicor had this and was very useful feature to illuminate the boot.
I remember older Storme had it but the Refreshed Storme is missing this.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 5th February 2021 at 07:56.
Old 5th February 2021, 07:52   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Arvind, to give you some idea:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post1986838 (Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo).

Hope some one answers your question more specifically, though.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 13:36   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you refereeing to bonnet/engine bay? (yes older vehicles had lights there)

My 2016 vericor400 has lamp for child seats/boot area.
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-20210205_111231.jpg

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-20210205_111249.jpg
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 13:46   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post

My 2016 vericor400 has lamp for child seats/boot area.[indent]
Yes that 3rd row light is missing in 2017 Storme. Without which the boot are is dark.
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-841a848ba0174f8f836c4262f591cf4e.jpeg

Last edited by arvindmanju : 5th February 2021 at 13:52.
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 13:53   #832
BHPian

Quote:
My previous Safari Dicor had this and was very useful feature to illuminate the boot.
There are some magnetic rechargeable led lights , check out these and reviews .

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Univ.../dp/B07FTFDJT4
TorqueIndia is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 15:52   #833
Senior - BHPian

If
Quote:
So finally I was able to complete the dash-clock install!

Thanks for reading!!
Brilliant job. A Safari is incomplete without its signature mukut.

My younger brother is a bit more tech inclined than me (to put it mildly). He was admiring the stance and height of my Storme when I took him for a drive post her service. Just to enjoy her.

He says "but the inside is very basic. A bit of technology is needed like information, screen, etc." I pointed to the clock and said it has this no. This is all that's really needed! Lol

Quote:
During service, couple of things came up as a surprise. When we went for first test drive, the SA observed more vibrations/noise than normal, from the front end, specially during startup and shutdown. He mentioned the likely suspect to be the engine mounts. While I wasn't entirely convinced, I told him to check and keep me posted. They came back seeking my permission for replacement and I approved it. Frankly, I am quite surprised the difference it has made; especially during startups and shutdowns! What I've realized is, I'd almost taken those bad vibrations as another one of those Safari quirks, while the reality was different.
Same here. Both engine mounts and the gearbox mount were replaced. I used to love the shudder and shake at startup and shutdown. And it did not trouble me one bit. Much the opposite. It gave me my daily tractor fix. But when the main tech guy told me that the heavy engine mounting has gone bad and that this will slowly cannonball into other things getting bad and breaking down in a vicious chain, I said ok please change it. Function over vibrator every time man!

Quote:
Aside from all this, I'd also ordered Amsoil Turbo Truck synthetic engine oil from Amazon earlier but was flatly refused, for changing over to this oil by TASS. They just don't entertain privately sourced oil, no matter what.
My truck has been happy on the specified Mobil right from day 1. Always insisted on that (special cans sourced only for my truck) even though most often the ASS had big drums of Castrol as the default for the Safaris and Stormes. A couple of years back they upgraded to the latest most advanced version (after the one mentioned in our Owner's Manuals).

Quote:
thanks for the update. I had some questions on the change of engine mount.
How much did the engine mount change cost?
All mounts were changed?
how different is it post the mount change?

thank you,
Arvind
Quote:
Don't recall the exact amount but it was not that expensive (for an imp.part), maybe 1.2K (approx.)each. Tried checking on the app but it does not show the break up, just the total amount paid.
Two Engine mounts A and B Rs. 971.88 each. Total Rs. 2,488.00 with CGST and SGST included.

Labour both engine mounts Rs. 958.00 with CGST and SGST included.

Gearbox mount (Engine Mount Assy. rear) Rs. 650.00 Total Rs. 832.00 with CGST and SGST included.

Labour Rs. 1003.00 with CGST and SGST included.

Also changed in my Storme -

Balance Rod Bushes (both sides) Bearing Block (anti-roll bar) Rs. 226.27 each. Total Rs. 534.00 with CGST and SGST included.

Labour Rs. 708.00 with CGST and SGST included.

All parts highly recommended to change without any delay to prevent escalation of associated drive train, suspension and steering parts wear and tear and bigger bills in near future.

Quote:
Older Stormes never had it as well. For some reason. Though the bonnet inside had a slot especially stamped into the sheet metal for it, beneath the black insulating foam layer.

I got it fitted by the ASS guys early on. Hugely helpful. Just need to be very careful to make certain its shut off before shutting the bonnet!

Very neatly the job was done. Like a factory finish light. Including cutting the black cladding. Charged me around a 1000 bucks in 2013 for it.

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20210131_192121.jpg

Quote:
I did get the timing belt changed at 4.5 year mark. Not connected to oil change, but water pump yes - used the kit. The 5 year mark is a good recommendation - we saw some fraying of the belt when we opened it.
Our Stormes are the same age and lot, but mine has done just 55,000 km till now. I don't think its been changed in mine. Should I insist? Is it a big job? How much does it cost?

Quote:
Yes that 3rd row light is missing in 2017 Storme. Without which the boot are is dark.
What a useless senseless form of cost cutting man.

When the original Storme was launched, the lowest LX variant the main thing it did not have compared to the EX which I chose to buy was the roof AC. With kids in the back, that was a must for me. The others like black upholstery and cabin trim and no clock etc. were not deal breakers for me. But my God man, what sense or cost saving does not giving a small cabin light cluster (or a clock, or bonnet light!) achieve?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 5th February 2021 at 16:07.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 16:07   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Our Stormes are the same age and lot, but mine has done just 55,000 km till now. I don't think its been changed in mine. Should I insist? Is it a big job? How much does it cost?
Yes, please. The rated life is 5 years or 1L km. You know what can happen if that belt snaps. Apart from the running, the belt has rubber. And rubber has it's life. Mine was pretty good but had started to fray at the edges.

IIRC, there were 2 kits (price diff, but rest didnt show much apparent difference. My SA used the cheaper one). The cost of the kit plus replacement should be within 20k. (kit = incl water pump)

Same day completion. Can also get it with a regular servicing.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 16:40   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
There are some magnetic rechargeable led lights , check out these and reviews .

Thanks it looks good!
I was looking for a permanent solution, as the battery operated lights don’t last long when roof gets heated up battery looses its efficiency.

Quote:

Two Engine mounts A and B Rs. 971.88 each. Total Rs. 2,488.00 with CGST and SGST included.

Labour both engine mounts Rs. 958.00 with CGST and SGST included.

Gearbox mount (Engine Mount Assy. rear) Rs. 650.00 Total Rs. 832.00 with CGST and SGST included.

Labour Rs. 1003.00 with CGST and SGST included.
Thanks for the cost breakup.

Quote:

Older Stormes never had it as well. For some reason. Though the bonnet inside had a slot especially stamped into the sheet metal for it, beneath the black insulating foam layer.

I got it fitted by the ASS guys early on. Hugely helpful. Just need to be very careful to make certain its shut off before shutting the bonnet!

Very neatly the job was done. Like a factory finish light. Including cutting the black cladding. Charged me around a 1000 bucks in 2013 for it.

Attachment 2118473

Job well done. Looks neat.

Quote:

What a useless senseless form of cost cutting man.

When the original Storme was launched, the lowest LX variant the main thing it did not have compared to the EX which I chose to buy was the roof AC. With kids in the back, that was a must for me. The others like black upholstery and cabin trim and no clock etc. were not deal breakers for me. But my God man, what sense or cost saving does not giving a small cabin light cluster (or a clock, or bonnet light!) achieve?

Cheers, Doc
Seriously don’t know what did they save by omitting cabin lights. It’s more of a inconvenience now without the light.
My previous Dicor LX has this feature.
Old 5th February 2021, 22:37   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Good one, doc. Let me see if it is possible now, 7+ years later.

Btw, a few older Tata vehicles had it. They should have retained it, esp in the then flagship models.

Arvind, how is the section of the roof below the fabric where that light is ? You can try using a needle to see if there are slots/perforations by poking the fabric with the needle. If there are perforations in the section below the fabric, then the needle will go deeper. If yes, then look for this lamp at TASS or elsewhere, then cut the fabric and create the slot to mount the lamp. For wiring, you can try a parallel connection from the charging slot in the boot area (if you have it). If you dont have a charging slot there, still look around there - the wiring may still be there for the charging socket. Call me if this is not clear.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 23:38   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good one, doc. Let me see if it is possible now, 7+ years later.

Btw, a few older Tata vehicles had it. They should have retained it, esp in the then flagship models.

Arvind, how is the section of the roof below the fabric where that light is ? You can try using a needle to see if there are slots/perforations by poking the fabric with the needle. If there are perforations in the section below the fabric, then the needle will go deeper. If yes, then look for this lamp at TASS or elsewhere, then cut the fabric and create the slot to mount the lamp. For wiring, you can try a parallel connection from the charging slot in the boot area (if you have it). If you dont have a charging slot there, still look around there - the wiring may still be there for the charging socket. Call me if this is not clear.
As I recall, the ASS guys used the original Dicor bonnet light and wiring loom as a original spare from spares. There was no jugaad and/or splicing involved. I had insisted on that (Warranty paranoia) and they had assured me of the same.

I see no reason therefore for the same not to be possible with the 3rd row roof light. Using the previous Storme's light cluster and wiring loom. Worth a shot. At night when you stop your drive, that area more than any other needs light to sort out and take out your luggage.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 00:49   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho

Brilliant job. A Safari is incomplete without its signature mukut.

I pointed to the clock and said it has this no. This is all that's really needed! Lol
Thanks! I'd made up my mind to get it when I'd seen one on @Ferrucio's V400; he'd posted a pic earlier on this thread. It just felt the perfect thing to go into that slot, while having the pride of place!

Quote:
Same here. Both engine mounts and the gearbox mount were replaced.
They didn't suggest to change the GB mount for me. Am still on my original but that does beg the question - if the 6 speed GB is lighter than the 5 speed then?

Quote:
My truck has been happy on the specified Mobil right from day 1. Always insisted on that (special cans sourced only for my truck) even though most often the ASS had big drums of Castrol as the default for the Safaris and Stormes.
For me, after more than 5K kms on the Amsoil now, I can vouch for the much improved engine performance. No doubt, it has been running the smoothest in all these years. First couple of yrs was on the std. Castrol (covered under AMC) and then a synthetic one (forgot the name) by Castrol again that I'd bought the cans from TASS only, at the time by paying extra. Now since the AMC was over, I decided to try Amsoil after reading some good reviews here on the forum and elsewhere as well. While I may have lost my leftover warranty for this but I just wasn't convinced to switch back to mineral oil, after having used synthetic for more than 10K kms, just because my TASS didnt approve of it.

Quote:

I see no reason therefore for the same not to be possible with the 3rd row roof light. Using the previous Storme's light cluster and wiring loom. Worth a shot. At night when you stop your drive, that area more than any other needs light to sort out and take out your luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
You can try using a needle to see if there are slots/perforations by poking the fabric with the needle. If there are perforations in the section below the fabric, then the needle will go deeper. If yes, then look for this lamp at TASS or elsewhere, then cut the fabric and create the slot to mount the lamp. For wiring, you can try a parallel connection from the charging slot in the boot area (if you have it). If you dont have a charging slot there, still look around there - the wiring may still be there for the charging socket.
Since I'd to make a wiring harness for the dash clock myself, as Tata had removed it from the refreshed Storme, I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same with this third roof light. Amazes me as to how stingy can Tata be, removing these essentials (I'd refuse to call it a feature). But it is definitely worth a shot trying out @condor's approach. Nothing else will give that OE look and feel.

Cheers!

Last edited by avinash_m : 6th February 2021 at 00:49. Reason: Typo
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 08:07   #839
BHPian

The light is available at Boodmo. By looking at the image of the product I don’t see the grey colour outer ring that holds the light. I am not sure if this can be fixed without the outer cover.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-sing...gtail-33014111
Old 6th February 2021, 09:18   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By looking at the image of the product I don’t see the grey colour outer ring that holds the light.
Arvind, on this page:

https://oriparts.com/3/209/700/340527#item_7805382

Check #2, as per diagram in above page.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-meta...721.1612545849

or #4 there

since the diagram is not clear, not sure about the exact item. But looks like they dont have it. (Page suggests checking on Amazon)

Last edited by condor : 6th February 2021 at 09:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks