Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2017, 16:36   #1531
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I will keep the ZXI(O) point in mind when I TD the car. Your suggestions are most welcome. The Ignis and Swift are out of my budget. My budget was 5.75L, I am streatching it to 6L just for Tiago XZ. If Tiago XT were to be equipped with ABS and airbags I would not have opted for XZ. XT gets only airbags (both driver and passenger, but no ABS)...
After driving various cars such as the Ignis, Baleno and the Tiago, I finally bought a petrol Tiago XZ. I'm very pleased with the purchase so far and I found some features delight: the cabin lamp turning on when you switch off the ignition, automatic unlocking when the key is removed, music system continuing to play when the engine is restarted, etc. I know these are small things and my decision to buy the Tiago certainly wasn't based on these features.

So far what I dislike about the Tiago is the engine: It sounds a bit coarse and the vibrations are noticeable at idle to crawling speeds. Also with the AC on, a very slow speeds, you have to shift to 1st gear or the engine feels dead. Neither is really an issue that bothers me - I got used to the vibrations and have adjusted my driving to shift down heard a bit earlier.

I actually had high hopes for the Ignis since I was super impressed with the modernity of the design. I liked the car on the whole but my conclusion was that it doesn't offer enough for the money. If you like the styling, there's very little to dislike about it but the package is unimpressive.

The Tiago is excellent value and is very well equipped and feels a grade more premium than the like of the Celerio. Compare it to cars closer to its price, not more expensive ones like the Ignis or the grand i10, and you will see the value that it offers.
Motard_Blr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 07:18   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
So far what I dislike about the Tiago is the engine: It sounds a bit coarse and the vibrations are noticeable at idle to crawling speeds.
Thanks a lot for your opinion. I think I can live with the Tiago engine. My usage within the city will be limited. I will be using my bike for office commute and I plan on using the car for highway runs only. I am a sedate driver and I rarely do 3 digit speeds. I test drove the Ignis yesterday and found the car was a bit bumpy, the engine was very refined and the car can pull, the sigma variant is too bare bone. I too felt that Ignis is not VFM.
Old 7th June 2017, 08:15   #1533
BHPian

There is a great long term review of the Tiago on Motoroids.

https://www.motoroids.com/reviews/ta...astico-indeed/

Hope Tata maintains this level of quality and reliability on all their vehicles. They can surely make a podium finish sooner or later if they do.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 11:00   #1534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_GTR View Post
Hey, I took my Tia xz p today for 3rd service and it cost me 1700rs without alignment, I did alignment last month. The bill break up is some 1330RS for oil and rest for filter and consumables.
Thanks buddy! With wheel alignment, it cost me Rs. 2448. Perils of being in Bangalore I guess.
Petr0lHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 11:10   #1535

Quote:
Is it stable at 100KMPH ? Can it do 3 digit speeds comfortable (100-120KMph) despite the being heavier than Celerio. I hope the 84 BHP 3 pot engine can deliver compared to the 67 BHP Celerio's engine.
Honestly, I was impressed by Tiago's Highway manners more than that in the city. Its not exactly a rocket off the line and even its second gear needs some push. But once its on the highway, its absolutely planted for a car its size. The wide tyres, added weight, good handling and suspension setup enables it to be a breeze to drive on the highway. Can do 100kph with ease. No vibrations and dashboard/steering wheel rattling like that of certain Marutis. Take it for a spin and find out for yourself.
Petr0lHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 11:38   #1536
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Tiago registers a strong 49% growth on Y-O-Y numbers, by selling 4,901 units for the month of May 2017.

The Tiago is also the lone bright spot for Tata Motors, with it's sedan cousin, the Tigor, at a distant second.

RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 11:58   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, help me decide between a Celerio and a Tiago..
I have a Celerio ZXi AMT (O). Having done the following road trips from Bangalore, I for sure can say that the car feels stable and planted between 90 kmph to 100 kmph. Have also had a few short dashes at 110 kmph with no complaints. I don't recommend going above these figures considering how safe our highways are, especially during the night with questionable visibility. On my recent Goa trip had a near miss incident with a rabbit (yes, a rabbit). Was just aware to press the brakes at the right time.

During these road trips the average hovered around 19~19.5 kmpl with AC mostly on 2nd level.
  • Coorg
  • Chickmagalur
  • Goa (Twice)
  • Coimbatore
  • Chennai
  • Mangalore (Twice)

If you would like to stick around 100 kmph, with occasional fun to push, considering the excess power at your disposal, Tiago should be a clear winner.

Hope this helps.
k88k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 15:00   #1538
BHPian

Tata Tiago : Official Review

I hope this will be useful for those already owning a Tiago and also for those intending to buy one.

I have done 6000 km in just over 8 months. The first two free services have been completed.
1. There are no mechanical/electrical problems that I have encountered so far. Actually I have had no problems so far except the left front door which was not shutting properly - rectified.
2. There is a small sound coming from under the dashboard on bad roads. It is not overwhelming but needs to be looked at during the third free service.
3. Engine is very smooth and revs very freely. This is good for overtaking but plays havoc with the specific fuel consumption.
4. Delhi temperatures were well over 40 deg C with a high of 44 deg on two days from middle of May for past 3 weeks. The air conditioner takes about 5-10 mins to cool down the air sufficiently so one does not feel uncomfortable. This is after the car has been lying in the sun for a couple of hours. The blower needs to be on minimum no.2 setting. At this setting it is a bit noisy and has to be drowned by the music system. Maybe that’s why the music system is so good!! The center vents work in a funny way. If I turn the left side louvers to the extreme left then I get more air from the right provided it is not turned fully right. The other problem is that the right and left side vents do not close fully in case one wants to cool down the rear of the car using the center vents.
5. I have tried out various ways of driving the car and find that thanks to the gearing ratios it needs to be driven cleverly to get performance and mileage. If one changes to the next gear between 1800 and 2000 rpm and keep the car at around the same rpm in top gear (5th) then one can get very good mileage. Moreover there is adequate acceleration for most traffic conditions.

6. Right now with the AC on most of the time I am able to get 17 km/l in Delhi traffic (mix of heavy traffic 70% and light traffic 30%). This is on the digital instrument display and I suspect that by tank fill method I will get around 15.5 to 16 km/l. Earlier I had driven it for a month with high revs most of the time and got around 12 km/l. I realize that driving the way I have suggested earlier is more enjoyable and gives good mileage in the bargain.
7. Brakes are working well and I have not felt any mushiness. I do not overwork the brakes and use engine braking when possible so I expect to get good life from them.
8. Clutch works very well and is light on the feet so there is no tiredness even after driving in really bad bumper to bumper traffic for long spells. However, though I am not a clutch ‘rider’ I have to see how long the clutch lasts. In my Maruti 800 in 90s I got around 40,000 km and on my Honda City GXi I have got 110000 km already with no sign of clutch problems.
8. Clutch judder can be avoided when starting from standstill by very gently pressing the accelerator while releasing the clutch gently in 1st gear. In 1st gear it can also be avoided by not accelerating at all and gently releasing the clutch. You have to experiment to get the right feel but I can successfully avoid it almost 100% of the time.
9. The hexagonal elements on the bonnet and the front of the car are a problem to clean. In a dusty place like Delhi these areas seem to be perpetually dirty despite daily cleaning and washing. One probably needs a water spray to keep it clean.
10. Some of the very useful things which are missed when one talks about the Tiago are:
a) Automatic closure of the door at 10 kmph,
b) One extra swish of the windscreen wipers 4-5 seconds after washing and wiping is over (removes some water dripping down the windshield),
c) Using the radio for one hour after the ignition key is pulled out,
d) Able to put the windows up for a few minutes even after removing the ignition key
These are not found even on more expensive cars. To have these on an entry level hatchback is amazing. I’m sure other cars will follow the Tiago in time.
ashokabs is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 19:54   #1539
BHPian

I drove my friend's Tiago (with ~6k on the ODO) on a 300km trip. It handled well. Only issue I had was that sometimes, even with my foot pressing the clutch pedal, the gear wouldn't slot properly, but made that frightening grinding sound. Anyone else experienced it?
Old 8th June 2017, 09:56   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I drove my friend's Tiago (with ~6k on the ODO) on a 300km trip. It handled well. Only issue I had was that sometimes, even with my foot pressing the clutch pedal, the gear wouldn't slot properly, but made that frightening grinding sound. Anyone else experienced it?
There could be 2 possibilities:

- you might have not pressed the clutch pedal fully.

- the car in question had a clutch that was not adjusted correctly.

This can happen with any manual transmission car with a cable operated clutch.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 10:52   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
6. Right now with the AC on most of the time I am able to get 17 km/l in Delhi traffic (mix of heavy traffic 70% and light traffic 30%). This is on the digital instrument display and I suspect that by tank fill method I will get around 15.5 to 16 km/l. Earlier I had driven it for a month with high revs most of the time and got around 12 km/l. I realize that driving the way I have suggested earlier is more enjoyable and gives good mileage in the bargain.
Hi Ashok,

Thanks for your valuable input, do your drive Revotron or Revotorq ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2017 at 10:59. Reason: Typos.
Old 8th June 2017, 11:01   #1542
BHPian

Do check if the foot mat or any obstruction is not letting the clutch get fully pressed. If it is rectify immediately as such a thing is dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:14   #1543
BHPian

I had a chance to TD all 3 contenders here - Tiago, Celerio and the Ignis.

Tiago Petrol (Manual) - The engine was a little gruff but this was compensated by the nice power delivery. Pick up is good and makes one happy while driving it. In fact, the engine note turns into a nice 3 cylinder thrum in the power band and this note is quite addictive! this means that the obvious side effect of this - the NVH - is quite perceivable in the cabin of the Tiago. However, suspension is very friendly to bumpy Indian roads and it didn't bounce around too much. As an overall package, Tiago is the best one considering VFM and price-performance benefits.

Celerio - This is the usual 3cyl K10B which I am familiar with (coming from my extensive ownership/usage of the Alto K10 and K10 AMTs) and it didnt offer anything different than what I expected. The Low end torque is poor which makes one "adapt" the gear changing styles to match the engine's response. NVH levels are almost the same as Tiago, but the K10B sounds nicer than Tiago's gruff note at lower RPMs. suspension and in-cabin-feel is typical Maruti setup - nothing to write home about, but does the job. Ride quality is however a tad bouncy. Overall, the Celerio is also a close competitor to the Tiago, but falls short in having to go for an "O" variant to get the full bells and whistles. Just falls short of a "complete VFM package" tag that the Tiago somehow seems to fulfill.

Ignis - the 4 cylinder block seems to be the best in terms of refinement and power delivery and engine somehow feels very nice. Apart from this, the Ignis (at least the base variants like Delta / Sigma) doesn't offer anything that can be termed VFM. We TD the Alpha variant of the car and I still felt "meh" considering it's whopping price of ~8L On road. Somehow, I was not convinced that this car is worth that amount of money - if someone asked me how much I had paid, I was sure that I would be ridiculed for paying so much and IMHO, the car also felt very bare-bones when I was sitting in it. Didn't offer that "plush" 8L feel one would tend to associate with that price tag. The NVH levels are better than the Tiago/Celerio here but I could still hear a lot of outside honking/traffic noise, if not the engine's vibrations or the car's "own noise". The cabin isn't very noise proof. The suspension however is a bit hard and I could make out every little bump on the road. I'm not sure if the tires were over inflated but the ride was indeed very bouncy and bumpy, specially in the rear bench.

So, for me, if I had 6 big ones, I'd pick the Tiago or the Celerio (which comes very close to the Tiago and leaves me some spare cash for other things like seat covers, 3D mats, better bulbs like NightVision, etc.)
vsathyap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:23   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
1. There are no mechanical/electrical problems that I have encountered so far. Actually I have had no problems so far except the left front door which was not shutting properly - rectified.
How good are the headlights on this car? Is it good enough for highway usage or does it beg for an upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
I had a chance to TD all 3 contenders here - Tiago, Celerio and the Ignis.

Celerio

Ignis - the 4 cylinder block seems to be the best in terms of refinement and power delivery and engine somehow feels very nice.
So, for me, if I had 6 big ones, I'd pick the Tiago or the Celerio (which comes very close to the Tiago and leaves me some spare cash for other things like seat covers, 3D mats, better bulbs like NightVision, etc.)
You are spot on with this. The Celerio ZXI (O) and Tiago XZ are closely priced. Atleast I get a complete package with Tiago XZ. To be honest you will not be left with much cash for any knick knacks. I only wish the seats were a bit comfortable for the price I pay, atleast on the top variant. It lacks the under thigh support.

The ride quality on the Ignis was average. The car felt pretty bumpy, and Tiago felt a bit more spacious.

Thanks a lot Vsathyap for accompanying me for the test drive. I booked my Tiago XZ Revtron yesterday. I should get the car by next weekend.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 11:48   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
How good are the headlights on this car? Is it good enough for highway usage or does it beg for an upgrade?
I booked my Tiago XZ Revtron yesterday. I should get the car by next weekend.
Congrats and welcome to the club. Headlights are average on the highways. Upgrade is a personal choice. I did not.
madhavgpai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed