Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2023, 11:21   #4801
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

The amount of oil spillage does not appear to be high but certainly needs to be investigated because the leak may increase in future or (worse) much more oil may have already leaked out while you were driving the car. The source of the leak can be easily ascertained by getting under the car with a light. If you are unable to do it yourself, please get a local mechanic to find out the source of the leak which he will easily do without having to lift the car.

I will not advise you to drive the car for more than 1 km or so, that too slowly and if there are no warning lights on your instrument cluster.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 11:32   #4802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I will not advise you to drive the car for more than 1 km or so, that too slowly and if there are no warning lights on your instrument cluster.
Currently there is no warning light and i check the engine oil dipstick and the oil level is low , yesterday i drove it for around 1 and 1/2 half km and have not found anything unusual. So right now my best bet is to get a local mechanic to check the area of leakage i suppose.
sachin2612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 11:49   #4803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin2612 View Post
Currently there is no warning light and i check the engine oil dipstick and the oil level is low , yesterday i drove it for around 1 and 1/2 half km and have not found anything unusual. So right now my best bet is to get a local mechanic to check the area of leakage i suppose.
Since your engine oil level has reduced, it is obvious that oil is leaking out. It could be from various places in the engine, but the most likely place is the drain plug. Usually drain plugs do not get loose if they are tightened properly but if they do, results could be catastrophic if you fail to notice the low oil pressure warning. So please get a local mechanic ASAP to find the source of leak.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 09:23   #4804

In my 2016 , 3.2 Endeavour 4WD, I faced a similar issue of oil leakage, though the amount of oil leaking was less compared to yours.

I took it to Ford Service and on visually checking it was diagnosed by them as a Rear Main Seal leak. The engine oil level had not dropped much. However, they said that with time, the amount of oil leaking can increase with the seal becoming weaker. So I asked them to change the Rear Main Seal. There are many videos on YouTube regarding these type of leakages.

The Service Center had to backorder the Rear Main Seal as well Bolts for the Transmission. The whole transmission had to be taken apart to access the Rear Main Seal. Special tools are necessary for this job, a local mechanic may not have the required tools. I meanwhile asked them to replace the Transmission Fluid, to which they said they will not as it's just 4 years old, and only 11K driven.

It took a week for the parts to arrive. They sent me pics of the Transmission Uninstalled and the location of the Rear Main Seal. The parts cost was about 2K to 3K, but the Labour cost was about 9K. Seeing the amount of work and special equipment required as well the Endeavour being hanging on the Car Bay for 10 days with Transmission out, the cost was justified.
The work was done properly, I took the old bolts and Rear Main seal from them. Since then I often look below for oil leaks and haven't found any.

The mechanic at Ford had advised me not to keep the 3.2 engine on idle for more than 5min, at a stretch. It was COVID period then (2020) and instead of driving it around we would keep it on idle for 15 to 20 minutes, this could have caused the oil leak. There are many reasons as per the internet to cause the issue.

So far I have no further leakage. I do every month open the Bonnet and keep checking the engine oil level just to be assured since then.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20210819wa0015.jpg  

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20210819wa0019.jpg  

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20210819wa0016.jpg  

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20210819wa0017.jpg  

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20210819wa0020.jpg  

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20210819wa0013.jpg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th November 2023 at 09:35. Reason: Proofread before posting.. spell/ grammar.
DEVINA4WD is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 14:03   #4805
BHPian

After using my beloved Ford Endeavour 2.2 AT Titanium (April 2018) for 5 ½ years I decided to sell it in order to buy a new car. As my friends know, I like to buy a new car every 5 years but the Endeavour continued to give me so much joy and exhilaration every time I sat behind its steering wheel that it took me many months to take the final selling decision.

I drove the Endeavour 63,500 km before I sold it. It was the best car I ever owned and it gave me 100% reliable service. Some highlights of my ownership experience are as follows :

1) During my 5 ½ years / 63,500 km of ownership it never happened even once that the car stopped working and I was stranded on the road and had to call for assistance. So all the money I paid for Roadside Assistance was a sheer waste!

2) I sold the car with the original brake pads, brake discs and battery! This is probably something of a record.

3) Every component of the Endeavour is so well-designed and robust that failure rate is almost zero. I experienced only the following problems :
a) The IRVM had to be replaced (under warranty) as the auto-dimming function failed.
b) A very minor seepage (quite different from ‘leakage’ as not even one drop of oil fell on the ground) was observed at transmission output shaft oil seal during the 40,000 km service. Though Ford Service said it was negligible and nothing to worry about, I insisted on a fix. Ford Service promptly obtained a new oil seal and replaced it under warranty. The Endeavour was used for 25,000 km after this and the oil seal remains bone dry.
c) There were some issues with the inbuilt navigation system but they were resolved under warranty.
d) Delamination and swelling of wheel lug nuts is a known problem in many Ford cars. These lug nuts have a steel core covered with a shiny 'cap' made of some other metal / alloy for cosmetic purposes. Due to an inherent design / manufacturing defect, the bonding between the inner core and outer cap is not very good and they tend to get delaminated. This is often caused by the use of pneumatic wrenches which apply vibratory torque, something akin to hammering. Once even the slightest delamination takes place, a small gap gets created between the core and cap. Subsequently water / moisture enters the gap and corrosion starts. Corrosion is a chemical process and the presence of dissimilar metals which are far apart in the Electrochemical Series is the ideal situation for corrosion. The products of corrosion cause swelling of the outer 'cap' because it is relatively thin and soft. Once the cap swells up, the wheel wrench can't fit the lug nut. Furthermore, when delamination is complete, there is relative movement between the core and cap and even when a lug nut is tight it appears loose!

I first experienced this lug nut swelling problem when my Endeavour was just a few months old. Ford Service initially refused to change the lug nuts under warranty claiming that ‘nuts and bolts’ were not covered. But I took up the matter with Ford India and got all 24 lug nuts replaced under warranty. Thereafter during every service I insisted that wheel lug nuts should be loosened / tightened by hand and not by pneumatic wrench. This minimized further delamination but I did have to change a few lug nuts later.
All in all, as you will see from above, the defects that arose were quite minor and the cost of repairs under warranty were negligible compared to the handsome amounts I paid for extended warranty upto 6th year. I am sure that the Endeavour will continue to provide reliable service to the new owner for many more years.

Before I wind up this post, let me share my selling experience which was quite interesting. After I spread the word about my intention to sell the Endeavour through social media and ads in OLX and Team-BHP, I received several enquiries. About 10 individuals, mostly used car dealers, test drove and thoroughly inspected my car. All were impressed and found my lovingly maintained Endeavour in excellent condition. I also got my car evaluated by Cars24. But all offers fell short of my expectations (which was around 21L initially). I held on, as I was in no hurry to sell.

After a few days some of the dealers (including Cars24) whose offers I had rejected started calling me again and raising their offers. A Kolkata based dealer and a Chandigarh based dealer offered 18L. Incidentally, the demand for pre-owned Endeavours is highest in Punjab, Haryana and NCR as the hot-blooded youngsters there love to show off their Fortuners and Endeavours. I figured that the fair market value of my car is around 20L because the dealers would obviously sell the car to the final buyer after adding a good profit margin on top of transportation and RTO costs for registration in a different state.

Then one day a gentleman from Jamshedpur called and said he saw my ad on Team-BHP and he was really keen to buy as he had read many of my posts on Team-BHP and was sure that my car would be excellent. I too preferred to deal with a gentleman who follows Team-BHP and also happens to be from Jampot where my car is registered. The deal was finalised even without physically inspecting the car and I offered to drive the car to Jampot.

Upon reaching Jampot on 24 Nov 23 after my last 300 km tango with my Endeavour, the buyer greeted my wife with a bouquet of flowers. He test drove and inspected the car and was fully satisfied. He transferred the money and we went to RTO and completed the formalities of name transfer. Everything was completed in a couple of hours!

Don’t all car lovers wish for such deals with fellow car lovers instead of haggling with dealers? Well, I have been thrice lucky and every time due to Team-BHP connection. My previous car, an XUV-5oo, was bought by a business school professor from Ranchi who knew everything about my XUV because he had read every word penned by me on my ownership thread on Team-BHP. Incidentally, he messaged me recently saying he was now interested to buy my Endeavour, but the deal had already been finalized.

Another previous car of mine, a Maruti Swift, was bought by a Tata Steel engineer, also through Team-BHP. Team-BHP is undoubtedly the topmost Indian forum for automobile enthusiasts. One has to undergo screening to become a member. This ensures high standards of posts and discussions. My association with Team-BHP has been fulfilling on several levels.

My beloved Endeavour will remain in my heart forever. Here are some random pics of the Endeavour clicked by me over the years :

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_1792-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_1838-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_1843-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_1873-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_1900-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_1904-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_2437-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_3810-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_3917-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_3971-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_4800-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_6503-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_6554-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_6612-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_6653-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_6779-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_6876-large.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_2248.jpeg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_2510.jpeg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_2545.jpeg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20220305180000-large.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2023 at 19:52. Reason: Abbreviation
debuda is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 21:11   #4806
BHPian

Quote:
After using my beloved Ford Endeavour 2.2 AT Titanium (April 2018) for 5 ½ years I decided to sell it in order to buy a new car. As my friends know, I like to buy a new car every 5 years but the Endeavour continued to give me so much joy and exhilaration every time I sat behind its steering wheel that it took me many months to take the final selling decision.
Absolutely wonderful and I must agree Endeavour is one heck of a car. Of all the cars that i have owned Endeavour is one car that I refuse to sell. There really isn’t a replacement for it, I have test-driven the Fortuner and it has disappointed me every single time, the only option I see for its replacement would be something from 2 segments up. Please do update us as to what you think would be the replacement for such a workhorse.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2023 at 19:51. Reason: Reduced the size of quoted texts; abbreviation; spacing
Rajjaiswal92 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 11:58   #4807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajjaiswal92 View Post
..... the only option i see for its replacement would be something from 2 segments up . Please do update as to what you think would be the replacement for such a work horse .
You are spot on when you say that the only true replacements for Endeavour are from much higher segments. I found it quite difficult to select a worthy successor without breaking the bank. I saw dozens of YouTube videos, read many Team-BHP reviews and test drove several cars such as Jeep Meridian, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover Discovery, Volvo XC60, Audi Q5 and Hyundai Tucson. After a lot of mental (and emotional) flip flops I finally zeroed in on the Tucson 2.0 diesel AT 4x4 Signature primarily because no other similar car (even cars in a higher segment) gave me a bouquet of features and ticked most of my check boxes at a really attractive price of slightly over ₹4 million on-road. Hyundai’s wide service network was another important factor because I keep driving to all corners of India including some very remote places.

One thing is for sure - Tucson will NOT give me the exact driving feel I get in a heavy, tall and butch ladder-frame SUV like Endeavour. Only the Grand Cherokee came close to it but it's ₹85 lakhs, somewhat underpowered and spares and service costs are high. I don't like Fortuner's ride quality and it offers minimal modern features (I love latest tech like ADAS, 360° camera, ventilated seats, large digital displays, sunroof, built-in navigation, connected technology, etc.) though in terms of reliability and maintenance costs Toyotas are great. Cars like Volvo XC90, Mercedes GLE / GLS, Audi Q7, etc, would certainly delight me but shelling out ₹1.2 crore or more is somewhat daunting. Added issues with these super premium cars are high maintenance costs and very rapid and steep depreciation.

Coming back to the Tucson, I found in it a driving pleasure of a different kind - very peppy, a lighter feel, greater manoeuvrability, good ride & handling and the assurance of better road-holding in difficult terrain through always-on AWD. I'm sure it will grow on me with time. Hyundai does not have high badge value and I know I won't have much bragging rights after my Endeavour ownership! But the bottom line for me is my personal driving pleasure and delight with features, regardless of what others say. I very well know that Tucson may not even give me good resale value as it has not really caught on in India. But I went ahead and booked the topmost variant of Tucson AWD anyway. Let me share some of the features of this 4th generation Tucson :

1. Super silent and refined 2.0 litre diesel engine producing more power and torque than my Endeavour 2.2 AT - 184 BHP and 416 Nm to be precise! Being about 600 kg lighter than my Endeavour, its power-to-weight ratio is way higher. Mated with a great 8-speed automatic transmission it will put a smile on my face every time I step on the gas.

2. Always-on intelligent AWD with Hyundai’s proven HTRAC system should get me past all obstacles and terrains I normally encounter during my frequent expeditions to the mountains and remote areas. I never did hard core off-roading and I'm not about to start such activities at age 72.

3. Large 235/60 R18 tyres and decent ground clearance should provide the ability to glide over bad roads and craters.

4. I'll miss the macho looks of my Endeavour, but the Tucson doesn't look too bad. I liked its front grille, LED DRLs, fancy rear lights, sexy diamond cut alloys and angular body contours. White is my favourite car colour.

5. Interiors are very premium and modern looking. 2nd row has huge leg space. Boot space is very good.

6. Hyundai is offering 3 yrs warranty + 2 more yrs extended warranty at a nominal cost. They are also throwing in 3 yrs free service!

7. Some features I liked : 4 drive modes (normal, sport, eco, smart), 3 AWD modes (mud, sand, snow), electronic stability control, traction control, hill start assist, downhill brake control, both front seat-belt pretensioners, 6 airbags including side and curtain, both front seats power adjustable (with memory) with ventilation & heating, fully digital 10.25" instrument and information cluster in front of the driver which can be customised in multiple ways, another 10.25" HD digital touchscreen (for built-in navigation, Apple CarPlay and various controls), Bose audio system, Hyundai Bluelink connected car technology (one can get info on various car parameters and driving data on smartphone, the car can even be started / locked / unlocked / ventilated remotely with smartphone), over the air updates, different user profiles, panoramic sunroof, autonomous level 2 ADAS with every conceivable feature (such as adaptive cruise control, hands-free lane following, automatic braking to avoid collisions, etc.), 360° camera, blind-spot monitoring, front & rear parking sensors, TPMS which shows all 4 tyre pressures, wireless phone charger, auto dimming IRVM, electric parking brake, auto hold, hands free tailgate, voice commands, etc, etc, etc - the list is endless!

To summarize, I am sacrificing some attributes of a heavy ladder-frame SUV but gaining one hell of a lot more in terms of features and driving pleasure. I never employ a driver and my cars are always self-driven, so the cockpit is the most important place for me. Life is all about change and adjustments and one need not get fixated on any one thing. I like to change my cars every 5 years and obviously look for something better when I buy a new car. I think the overall delight factor of my new Tucson AWD would be more than the Endeavour.

My Tucson is already in transit and should reach the dealership in Kolkata soon. I am eagerly waiting to lay my hands on it.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2023 at 19:47. Reason: Abbreviation
debuda is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 16:20   #4808
BHPian

Quote:
After a lot of mental (and emotional) flip flops I finally zeroed in on the Tucson 2.0 diesel AT 4x4 Signature primarily because no other similar car (even cars in a higher segment) gave me a bouquet of features and ticked most of my check boxes at a really attractive price of slightly over ₹4 million on-road.
Hi Debuda,

Its always heartening to read your posts on T-BHP. The way you take care of your cars is truly commendable.

Did you consider the new Scorpio-N as Endeavour's replacement?

Its a significant step up from the previous generation and will give you the go anywhere ability alongwith most of the new age tech features.

Tucson is not a conventional replacement choice for someone who has had a good experience on a full sized ladder frame SUV. Keeping in view your love for travel, this could've been a good alternative without breaking the bank.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2023 at 19:48. Reason: Abbreviation
Sisu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 23:55   #4809
BHPian

I’m facing a very unusual issue in my 3.2 Titanium endeavour, the car makes a knocking sound (tak tak) several times when you start the ignition , the sound comes from the rear right hand side.
Has anyone else faced this ? The OBD shows no sign , the car is mechanically absolutely fine and in top shape .
My car have never been in any kind of accident as well , no major repairs have ever been carried out as well .
Old 10th December 2023, 09:49   #4810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajjaiswal92 View Post
The car makes a knocking sound (tak tak) several times when you start the ignition , the sound comes from the rear right hand side.
Has anyone else faced this ?.
I have the same problem for over a year. The Service Advisor says it’s from the Air Conditioner motor. According to him there is no fix and it doesn’t cause any trouble.

I’ve gotten used to the noise now.
Old 10th December 2023, 20:32   #4811

I have a query, is there any option wherein we can see in which gear the car is while in D mode? (2.2 and 3.2 models) In S mode we can see which gear the car is in. Also in S mode my car from day one automatically downshifts from 3rd to 1st and it never downshifts to 2nd. If manually downshifting from 3rd to 2nd it does but not on auto downshifting. Is this normal behavior?
Old 11th December 2023, 10:09   #4812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaganjotsidhu View Post
Hi everyone, my sunroof has developed a problem where it is not closing with a single touch. It bounce back after closing around 90% . I have tried the overriding function as per car manual but to no avail. I have also cleaned the sunroof rails off any debris but the problem still persists. Any solution to this ?
There is probably some dirt, dust or debris. Have the area cleaned. Lube and clean the rubber liner and your good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaganjotsidhu View Post
Hi everyone, my sunroof has developed a problem where it is not closing with a single touch. It bounce back after closing around 90% . I have tried the overriding function as per car manual but to no avail. I have also cleaned the sunroof rails off any debris but the problem still persists. Any solution to this ?
There is probably some dirt, dust or debris. Have the area cleaned. Lube and clean the rubber liner and your good to go. Maybe also try pushing it while it's closing in the direction of closing. It should go past and the seal or an debris should shift

Quote:
After using my beloved Ford Endeavour 2.2 AT Titanium (April 2018) for 5 ½ years I decided to sell it in order to buy a new car. As my friends know, I like to buy a new car every 5 years but the Endeavour continued to give me so much joy and exhilaration every time I sat behind its steering wheel that it took me many months to take the final selling
Have to agree with you. I've had my car for 8 years and I just can't think of a replacement. The car still runs amazing, very reliable and have used it when it was needed most (Chennai floods, that happen atleast every other year.)

I've had the most wonderful experiences in it. I'm now upgrading shocks. Trying to decide between tien and Ironman.

In terms of replacement, there isn't a single suv out there. And even if you bump up 2 segments, you won't use those cars as you've used this car. It's rough and tough and built beautifully. About to cross 100k km soon and with service from Chennai ford being so awesome, I have no idea when or even if I want to change the car anytime soon.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th January 2024 at 10:17. Reason: Please edit or multi-quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
Valhalla1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 09:34   #4813
Senior - BHPian

Looking for Advice on Headlamp Upgrades:

My Endeavour (2.2L Titanium) will be entering its 8th year this February 28th. Lately, I've noticed that the lighting isn't as effective as it used to be (aging bulbs?). The high beam, in particular, seems a bit outdated, and I'm keen on upgrading to ensure better visibility, especially with a stronger throw and no dark spots.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good high and low beam upgrades, as well as fog lamps? I'm open to all recommendations. Thank you!

[Mods: kindly move this too lighting thread, if this thread is not appropriate]
Old 12th December 2023, 09:39   #4814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Looking for Advice on Headlamp Upgrades:

My Endeavour (2.2L Titanium) will be entering its 8th year this February 28th. Lately, I've noticed that the lighting isn't as effective as it used to be (aging bulbs?). The high beam, in particular, seems a bit outdated, and I'm keen on upgrading to ensure better visibility, especially with a stronger throw and no dark spots.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good high and low beam upgrades, as well as fog lamps? I'm open to all recommendations. Thank you!

[Mods: kindly move this too lighting thread, if this thread is not appropriate]
My buddy installed Osram H7 LEDs in his 2016 Endeavor low beams and it has been a considerable upgrade. Stick to yellow halogen/LED bulbs for the fog lights. I'd suggest you stick with halogens in the high beam and use it for flashing only.
Also, this should help you out a bit-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-270.html (Ford Endeavour : Official Review)
Keep scrolling for more info.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 16:12   #4815
BHPian

Quote:
My Tucson is already in transit and should reach the dealership in Kolkata soon. I am eagerly waiting to lay my hands on it.
Hello Sir, I have followed your posts in the Endeavour forum over time. Now that you have decided to part with yours, wish you many more miles with happiness in your new ride.

cheers
Ranger747 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks