Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 16:20   #1186
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
From where did you order the tyre ? When i checked with a leading shop at Hyderabad, the MRF price given to me was Rs. 7500 (or 8500) and they told MRF tyres are cheaper !
I checked the price across multiple MRF showroom and got the same price i.e Rs 11800/-. I got the tyre from MRF showroom in LB nagar. Even at this price MRF should be one of the cheapest option available.

Quote:
Hope the car is back in action.
Thanks to the MRF distributor here who kept it them ready in stock, I could proceed on my banglore trip the next day

Quote:
Question - Are there any trails like this close to Maharashtra, Telangana, AndhraPradesh or Karnataka ?
There are some trails near Vikarabad highway/ananthagiri hills and also near shamirpet lake. Also as seen in the pictures of recent hexa drive, looks like few took the vehicle to quarry near gachibowli.
Old 7th November 2016, 14:29   #1187
BHPian

The New Toyota Fortuner is out. Looks like Ford made the Right move to reduce prices of the Trend Models. Pricing is very competitive. Eventual Difference on-road should be around 2 lakhs. I made my decision and I love my Endeavour but will definitely do a TD to know how the new Fortuner fares

Last edited by noopster : 7th November 2016 at 18:16. Reason: Please do not use abbreviations like T Fort
kimianks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 14:38   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
The New Toyota Fortuner is out. Looks like Ford made the Right move to reduce prices of the Trend Models. Pricing is very competitive. Eventual Difference on-road should be around 2 lakhs. I made my decision and I love my Endeavour but will definitely do a TD to know how the new Fortuner fares
Does not look like the difference will be more than 1L for the top versions. Barely so I think. Toyota has kept an aggressive launch pricing.

Last edited by noopster : 7th November 2016 at 18:17. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 7th November 2016, 16:36   #1189
BHPian

I have been evaluating the Ford Endeavour for a while. Right now I am on the crossroads, breaking my head on a couple of parameters and badly need some expert advice.

My basic need is a 4x2 SUV - 8 seater for 70% city & 30% highway usage. Mahindra XUV W8/W10 AT would have been an ideal choice on paper – both from a requirement & budget perspective. However, given my distressing history with Mahindra's dreadful ASS (Scorpio 2010 – 2013), I was frightened at history repeating itself. While I loved my Scorpio and thinking of roar of that engine still gives me a high, their service centers (Chennai - Guindy, Velecherry & OMR) gave Murphy’s Law an all new dimension altogether. At one point I got so frustrated (aka stupid) with something going wrong every other month, that I sold it off and settled for a much 'saner' - fluidic Verna. While the Verna has been a very well behaved car, I’ve always been itching to get back to a real SUV. The soft-roaders like duster never appealed to me. while I am sure they are great cars, t'was a matter of personal preference.

I test drove the Endeavour 4x2 Trend and I really liked it. Budget wise it was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h but I convinced myself that was it; the Endeavor was going to be my ride and would future proof me for the next 5 years. But then, a few of my auto head pals, convinced me that Toyota is significantly ahead of Ford when it comes to total cost of ownership – including performance, maintenance, the cost of spares and resale value – especially in the 30L segment. Looking at the resale market, I also noticed Endeavor depreciates much faster as compared to the Fortuner - for that matter even when compared to an Innova. I briefly considered Innova Crysta, but I wasn’t sure if I’d wanted to settle for an MUV. But its interiors does give me a good reason to compromise. While the new T-Fort around the block, I was hoping for a miracle and decided to wait for the launch. Given that the new T-Fort 4x2 Diesel AT is now closer to 35 lacs, I am sure I don't want to s--t--r--e--t--c--h that much.

Net net, XUV 500 W8 AT 4x2 - is out because Mahindra’s ASS gives me the shivers; New T-Fort is too expensive (so are the used ones too); which brings me back to the Endeavor Trend 2.2 4x2 AT.

Fear of uber-expensive spares and poor resale value is still stopping me from taking the plunge. Plus, I have aged parents who may not be as excited as I am while getting in & out of the Endeavor. I know, I am self-contradicting and sounding utterly confused. That’s why I need some good advice. Should I just cut my ego and settle in for the MUV (Crysta) or go in for the Endeavor? If I did go for the Endeavour, would I have to accept the reality that it will be a white elephant and factor in a steeper depreciation as compared to a Toyota?

Last edited by StudioAbraham : 7th November 2016 at 16:43. Reason: Formatting & typos
StudioAbraham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 17:25   #1190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My basic need is a 4x2 SUV - 8 seater for 70% city & 30% highway usage
Go for Innova, I will say its more like 80 % of Fortuner in 2,8 Auto variant. It does not look bad either, however, if you have to drive most of the time, Endeavour will be a far better option, most of the parts they have used are of Import origin, unlike Toyota which has far more local content.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 17:52   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Go for Innova, I will say its more like 80 % of Fortuner in 2,8 Auto variant. It does not look bad either, however, if you have to drive most of the time, Endeavour will be a far better option, most of the parts they have used are of Import origin, unlike Toyota which has far more local content.
I second this advice. Innova is a better bet given all that you have explained. While Endeavour may satisfy your personal driving pleasure, the ergonomics of getting aged parents in and out would be cumbersome. The same will be a breeze with a more usable middle and last rows in Innova. Further, Innova 2.8 AT is no slouch compared to Endeavour 2.2 AT barring a few off-road situations. in my view, Innova is an SUV in MUV disguise. Further, your need for resale value aka less depreciation is also insured in this case. And finally, whatever decision you make, don't regret once you have purchased as it becomes hard on oneself.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 18:15   #1192
Distinguished - BHPian

Service costs of Ford are much lower and predictable now as compared to a few years ago. Plus Ford cars have a longer service interval (1 Year generally as compared to Toyota's six monthly Service interval). The reliability of Toyota have also taken a ding with the niggles being reported with the new Innova (please see Innova Crystal thread).

All in all, I would seriously consider the Endeavor, especially with the recent price cut. My ownership experience with the Ford Ecosport has been exemplary for the last 3.5 years and it is reported to be the vehicle with the highest retained value in the relevant price bracket now! So the depreciation patterns change over time and I would not be surprised if the new Endeavour sees lower depreciation than the previous generation.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 7th November 2016 at 18:17.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 18:20   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimianks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Does not look like the difference will be more than 1L for the top versions. Barely so I think. Toyota has kept an aggressive launch pricing.
Hope this helps... am in the market for an automatic 7-seater SUV and these are the biggest contenders as of now.

Prices are indicative based on what has been announced today by Toyota. I've tried to list what features cost how much and give a (subjective) overall evaluation of the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-endeavourfortuner-comparo.png  

noopster is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 19:32   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hope this helps... am in the market for an automatic 7-seater SUV and these are the biggest contenders as of now.

Prices are indicative based on what has been announced today by Toyota. I've tried to list what features cost how much and give a (subjective) overall evaluation of the vehicle.
Very well documented. Nice guide for a new buyer.

Interesting to see the classifications of Engines by Wheezy, Average, Good and Superb. Very apt and clear classification. However, Toyota may not agree with this for sure :-)
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 21:13   #1195
Team-BHP Support

Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham View Post
I have been evaluating the Ford Endeavour for a while. Right now I am on the crossroads, breaking my head on a couple of parameters and badly need some expert advice.

My basic need is a 4x2 SUV - 8 seater for 70% city & 30% highway usage. Mahindra XUV W8/W10 AT would have been an ideal choice on paper – both from a requirement & budget perspective.

Hi there. Id like to put some contrary perspective to some of the advice above.

1. You 'want' an SUV. An MUV is a compromise.
2. You don't want Mahindra for reasons that you're the best judge of.
3. You want an 8 seater (not a 7 seater).
4. You liked the Endeavour.

Your concerns with the Endeavour:
1. Maintenance cost (uber expensive spares etc)
2. Resale cost (compared to a Toyota / Innova)
3. Getting in / out for parents.
4. White elephant (really points 1 and 2).

I think you should go in for the Endeavour Trend 2.2 A/T based on whatever you've listed. Here's why I think so:

1. I don't believe the maintenance and upkeep of the Ford will be ultra expensive like it is on Germans. They've created a lot of transparency on the ongoing costs of ownership / service, spares are readily available and can even be bought over the counter if you want to service with a third party service chap. Not many big manufacturers do that. Review the published ownership costs and assess whether they seem acceptable.

2. As i see it, the Endy should be a reliable vehicle that should give you years of solid ownership.

3. As much as a step up the Crysta is over the previous Innova, the current Endy will feel an actual segment above the Crysta in ownership experience.

4. While resale may be slightly better for Innova, both these vehicles can easily give you 7-9 years of quality ownership and 100,000 + kms. If you buy a vehicle you love, to drive and own, chances are you'll be able to own it for a longer period much more easily instead of having the ongoing want to upgrade. You've repeatedly used words like settle and compromise with Innova when you contrast it with Endy. That feeling may make you want to upgrade in 3 - 5 years (or carry on with continued reluctance) compared to a vehicle that appeals to your heart. Longer ownership and therefore fuller depreciation before a car change is also better utilisation of money. Also the difference in depreciation narrows the longer you can own the car.

5. With a ZX A/T Innova, you're settling also on the 8 vs 7 seater factor. If you want 8 seats, you can damn well have them in the Endeavour.

6. While the Endy will be a decision from the "heart", for the reasons above, it does not really fail the "head" test either. It makes sense for its own reasons.

7. For what it offers, the ZX A/T is VERY expensive. The 2.2 Trend on the other hand is VERY good value for what it offers. Also, while the Trend may lose a lot of features over its Titanium cousin, spec for spec, its reasonably comparable to the Innova ZX A/T.

That's how I see it. Hope it helps you a bit in deciding (whichever way, either by seeing my way or disagreeing on reading above) instead of further confusing you.

Happy shopping.

Last edited by Axe77 : 7th November 2016 at 21:16.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 21:29   #1196
Team-BHP Support

Sorry for the follow on post but on a side note, I'm not sure how you feel about Tatas, but given you're breaking your head in this segment, may as well check out the Hexa when it comes.

Its just one more people mover option with high level interior fit out (arguably better than Innova on interiors), good quality auto tranny, unfortunately 7 seater but certainly looks the best as MUVs go. If the price is low enough from the Innova Crysta ZX A/T to entice you (and avoid the budget stretch), no harm in at least putting it on your consideration list.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 22:38   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioAbraham View Post

My basic need is a 4x2 SUV - 8 seater for 70% city & 30% highway usage. Mahindra XUV W8/W10 AT would have been an ideal choice on paper – both from a requirement & budget perspective. However, given my distressing history with Mahindra's dreadful ASS (Scorpio 2010 – 2013), I was frightened at history repeating itself. While I loved my Scorpio and thinking of roar of that engine still gives me a high, their service centers (Chennai - Guindy, Velecherry & OMR) gave Murphy’s Law an all new dimension altogether. At one point I got so frustrated (aka stupid) with something going wrong every other month, that I sold it off and settled for a much 'saner' - fluidic Verna. While the Verna has been a very well behaved car, I’ve always been itching to get back to a real SUV. The soft-roaders like duster never appealed to me. while I am sure they are great cars, t'was a matter of personal preference.

I test drove the Endeavour 4x2 Trend and I really liked it. Budget wise it was a s-t-r-e-t-c-h but I convinced myself that was it; the Endeavor was going to be my ride and would future proof me for the next 5 years. But then, a few of my auto head pals, convinced me that Toyota is significantly ahead of Ford when it comes to total cost of ownership – including performance, maintenance, the cost of spares and resale value – especially in the 30L segment. Looking at the resale market, I also noticed Endeavor depreciates much faster as compared to the Fortuner - for that matter even when compared to an Innova. I briefly considered Innova Crysta, but I wasn’t sure if I’d wanted to settle for an MUV. But its interiors does give me a good reason to compromise. While the new T-Fort around the block, I was hoping for a miracle and decided to wait for the launch. Given that the new T-Fort 4x2 Diesel AT is now closer to 35 lacs, I am sure I don't want to s--t--r--e--t--c--h that much.

Net net, XUV 500 W8 AT 4x2 - is out because Mahindra’s ASS gives me the shivers; New T-Fort is too expensive (so are the used ones too); which brings me back to the Endeavor Trend 2.2 4x2 AT.

Fear of uber-expensive spares and poor resale value is still stopping me from taking the plunge. Plus, I have aged parents who may not be as excited as I am while getting in & out of the Endeavor. I know, I am self-contradicting and sounding utterly confused. That’s why I need some good advice. Should I just cut my ego and settle in for the MUV (Crysta) or go in for the Endeavor? If I did go for the Endeavour, would I have to accept the reality that it will be a white elephant and factor in a steeper depreciation as compared to a Toyota?
Buddy let me share with you how I chose the Endeavour as my new car.

I owned the Passat Tdi since 2010 and my parents gradually saw the need for a 7 seat SUV since we had guests come over often and we had to drive around in 2 cars.

My decision to buy the Passat in 2010 over a C Class or a 3 Series or an A4 was because I saw that I was getting my money's worth. 8 airbags, Electronic Parking Brake, 12 Seat adjusts with Lumbar ( front seats )..that car was loaded..that doesn't mean the other cars were bad but I felt I got my money's worth. The Ownership experience was fantastic and VW surprised me by replacing my DSG for free in the 5th year of ownership. I sold the Passat to a fellow BHPian at a good price and its still going strong.

I also liked the old Endeavour but then ( in 2010 ) it just didn't seem practical. The teasers for the new one came out in December and I had my eyes set on the new 3.2 Titanium. I am a firm believer that if you buy a car, get the variant with all bells and whistles..but then that's just me. I saw the car during the Media Drives and took 3 TDs after the launch. Every time I drove that car it brought a smile to my face. Every TD cemented my decision to purchase it. "I just have to get this beauty"

I had the same concerns as you : Will the SUV be reliable? Will the maintenance be high? Will I get a decent resale? Should I wait for the Fortuner?

The Fortuner was 10 months away ( back in January ) so that was out of question. Ford offered Total Maintenance Plan, similar to BMW's Secure and I thought that would address issues of maintenance ( if any ). Ford's Initiative to reveal Parts' Prices and Service Costs ( on their website ) went a long way in addressing my inhibitions. I also got to meet owners of the Old Endeavour and most had little to complain about their cars.

The only question that remained was : Resale?
I believe that you should buy something for the product that is. Resale, though important cannot dissuade you from buying something you love to drive. One may own a car for 4 years, maybe 5 and in some cases even more but buying a car with the thought that it will fetch a good price at the time of selling isn't healthy in my opinion. You might compromise today but then thoughts will linger on about what could have been if..

The Endeavour is a fantastic product. You know it. Innova is no different. Fortuner by itself won't be a bad purchase but as I remember reading in the "Car and Bike Show" Article, they too believe Endeavour is the more Value for Money Car.

Ingress would be a problem for your ageing parents and its very thoughtful of you to consider them in your decision making process. My parents are above 60 and they love the Endeavour. Dad says he sits on the First Floor

All the Best.

On a different note, the Live Facebook Video by Overdrive stated that the "Flip to the Side" Seats on the Fortuner have weak straps. The Straps got undone on Hard Braking or Cornering; also I noticed that the Fortuner does not offer a flat boot with the 2nd row down. The Flip Forward seats are similar to the bench seats on the Hexa
kimianks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 23:58   #1198
BHPian

In the recent times, Ford has been transparent with the service and maintenance costs. They are in the reasonable levels and comparable with Fortuner. However, I am looking at general items like oil change, oil filter, air filter, few of the body parts etc. I am unsure how much it will cost for a suspension overhaul, clutch plates or accident repair.

I was looking at carwale.com used car valuation. See the quote as below:

Ford Endeavour Titanium 3.2 4x4 AT
2016 | Hyderabad| 13,000 kms driven

Toyota Fortuner [2012-2016] 3.0 4x4 AT

Why is that the Fortuner having a higher resale value in spite of having much lesser features than the Endeavour Titanium ? What other factors determine the low resale value of Ford ?
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 00:08   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
In the recent times, Ford has been transparent with the service and maintenance costs. They are in the reasonable levels and comparable with Fortuner. However, I am looking at general items like oil change, oil filter, air filter, few of the body parts etc. I am unsure how much it will cost for a suspension overhaul, clutch plates or accident repair.

I was looking at carwale.com used car valuation. See the quote as below:

Ford Endeavour Titanium 3.2 4x4 AT

Toyota Fortuner [2012-2016] 3.0 4x4 AT

Why is that the Fortuner having a higher resale value in spite of having much lesser features than the Endeavour Titanium ? What other factors determine the low resale value of Ford ?
The Website might be listing only the Old Fortuner. Once the New Generation Car gets updated, this Fortuner will lose a considerable value against the Endeavour..I guess people still need to get warmed up towards a Ford

Last edited by kimianks : 8th November 2016 at 00:15.
Old 8th November 2016, 13:45   #1200

Dear experts - firstly a big thanks for such a detailed review.

Now a few questions that come to my mind especially with the launch of the new fortuner yesterday.

1) The new fortuner 4X4 MT 2.8 is almost at the same price as the endeavour 4X4 3.2 AT Titanium, but do you guys think fortuner stands a chance here. At an ex showroom price of 30L+ fortuner is missing many things that the endeavour offers purely in terms of the vehicle (I am talk talking about the toyota brand and the After sales service). The only thing that goes in fortuner's favour is probably the fact that it comes with the 4X4 MT, which brings me now to a second question

2) Why on earth would endeavour not offer a 4X4 3.2 MT Titanium. In fact I am perplexed as to why they would have trend/titanium kind of versioning for such expensive vehicles. IMO the following classifications would have sufficed, keeping all the features the same across the vehicles.

a) 4X2 2.2L MT
b) 4X4 2.2L MT with Panoramic roofs
c) 4X4 2.2L AT with Panoramic roofs
d) 4X2 3.2L MT
e) 4X4 3.2L MT with Panoramic roofs
f) 4X4 3.2L AT with Panoramic roofs

Hope the experts would have some insights on the above - though its not going to change anything, just wanted an opinion if I am missing any details.

At some point I want to buy one of endeavour/fortuner 4X4 and though I personally am inclined towards the endeaviour (though many agree that it looks a tad ugly cmpared to fortuner - but then beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder) endeavour 4X4 without a MT for the top end is really not something I like.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks