Team-BHP - Skoda Superb : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/175340-skoda-superb-official-review-15.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSimonS (Post 4296090)
Is the Driver personalization option removed? Can you please reconfirm?

I have asked Skoda India and not got any clarification yet other than redirect to dealer.
For Style, I can confirm that it does not exist. For L&K, I don't know. When I went to Vinayak cars on Saturday for accessories kit, they didn't have an L&K on display (only Style MT) - so I could not check.
I should say, that Driver personalization is different from associating seat memory positions to a key (though superset of it).

Experienced Manouevre Braking firsthand today. As somebody mentioned over in the Octavia vRS thread, first time is a bit unnerving due to a alert chime and sudden and hard braking with shudder (happened when an auto cut across sharply I guess though I am reasonably sure, we wouldn't have dashed, but maybe I could be wrong) - initial reaction was did somebody rear end my car ?
Good thing was no dash in front or rear - need to see if its better to keep it enabled or disabled. Currently, I am keeping it on - better for me not to dash against somebody driving recklessly across ? Knock on wood to avoid any dash or accident in crazy traffic we have.

Folks, any info if Skoda may bring in the 2 litre TSI manual Superb to India. Am currently considering replacing my 8 year old diesel Manza(done 74K kms) & Superb MT is one of the probables. Thanks in advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4274985)
Finally got delivery of my model year 2018 Superb 1.8TSI MT Style from Vinayak Skoda yesterday evening. Drove 150+km in bangalore and outskirts, and it put a big smile on my face :-)

Many congratulations for your new ride lancer_rit :)

Skoda/VW usually keep on adding and removing features to the different variants. Can you suggest any way to keep track other than contacting the dealers directly (specifically interested about Superb)?

Also, it would be helpful if you can share some pictures of the interior specifically the Head unit and other elements that have been removed/updated as usually interiors see the most feature updates.

Thank you

Hi everyone!

Had a question about the power of the Superb. So we bought a 2016 Superb L&K Diesel (177 bhp) in September last year. At the same time, we also got a pre-owned VW Jetta 2.0 DSG Highline. The Superb is driven mostly by my Uncle and the Jetta by me.

A couple of days back we decided to visit some relatives and exchanged cars. After we reached our destination we both had the same topic to discuss - why is the Jetta more fun to drive as compared to the Superb. The Jetta feels more enthusiastic as compared to the Superb in terms of power. The Superb feels more linear.

Both cars have got the VAG engine update. We both love the Jetta more as compared to the Superb.

Why is there such a difference when both cars are relatively the same in terms of engine and gearbox?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 4329697)
Hi everyone!

Had a question about the power of the Superb. So we bought a 2016 Superb L&K Diesel (177 bhp) in September last year. At the same time, we also got a pre-owned VW Jetta 2.0 DSG Highline. The Superb is driven mostly by my Uncle and the Jetta by me.

A couple of days back we decided to visit some relatives and exchanged cars. After we reached our destination we both had the same topic to discuss - why is the Jetta more fun to drive as compared to the Superb. The Jetta feels more enthusiastic as compared to the Superb in terms of power. The Superb feels more linear.

Both cars have got the VAG engine update. We both love the Jetta more as compared to the Superb.

Why is there such a difference when both cars are relatively the same in terms of engine and gearbox?

My guess is software update did more harm to Superb than it did to Jetta (both engines have different state of tune).

Power, Fuel efficiency, lower emissions -> Pick any two.
As Superb runs on 100% capacity of 2.0 tdi, there might be not much room for VAG engineers to compensate loss of power however for Jetta, engine is tuned not to use 100% capacity of 2.0 tdi so maybe they used some room to compensate loss of power while fixing the software?? Just a wild guess.

Also, have you compared power to weight, torque to weight & drag coefficient of both the cars?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 (Post 4329722)
My guess is software update did more harm to Superb than it did to Jetta (both engines have different state of tune).

Power, Fuel efficiency, lower emissions -> Pick any two.
As Superb runs on 100% capacity of 2.0 tdi, there might be not much room for VAG engineers to compensate loss of power however for Jetta, engine is tuned not to use 100% capacity of 2.0 tdi so maybe they used some room to compensate loss of power while fixing the software?? Just a wild guess.

This could be a possibility.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 (Post 4329722)
Also, have you compared power to weight, torque to weight & drag coefficient of both the cars?

The Superb by default will definitely be heavier than the Jetta. However, the 2016 Superb is built on the MQB platform which is lighter than the previous generation Superb and also has more power of 177 bhp. We upgraded from the previous generation 2010 Superb (140 bhp) to the 2016 Superb and I can confidently say that the previous generation Superb drove waaaay better than our current one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 4329812)
The Superb by default will definitely be heavier than the Jetta. However, the 2016 Superb is built on the MQB platform which is lighter than the previous generation Superb and also has more power of 177 bhp. We upgraded from the previous generation 2010 Superb (140 bhp) to the 2016 Superb and I can confidently say that the previous generation Superb drove waaaay better than our current one.

From team-bhp reviews, Jetta and Superb compare as below on stats:
Jetta Diesel DSG : 96bhp/ton, 222Nm/ton
Superb Diesel DSG : 111bhp/ton, 224Nm/ton
So, the max torque/ton evens out, and its the Jetta which has the better spread of max torque/ton. Also, Superb may have lower torque low in the rev range ?
I thought the new diesel engines (EA288) as in Superb 2016 are not affected by diselgate and therefore, no remaps required!

BTW, when you say drives way better, are you talking of handling and ride, or of acceleration ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4329974)
From team-bhp reviews, Jetta and Superb compare as below on stats:
Jetta Diesel DSG : 96bhp/ton, 222Nm/ton
Superb Diesel DSG : 111bhp/ton, 224Nm/ton
So, the max torque/ton evens out, and its the Jetta which has the better spread of max torque/ton. Also, Superb may have lower torque low in the rev range ?
I thought the new diesel engines (EA288) as in Superb 2016 are not affected by diselgate and therefore, no remaps required!

Aren't the engines of the Superb and Jetta the same but just mapped differently in terms of power? In such a case I guess the Superb may have been given the software update from the factory itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4329974)
BTW, when you say drives way better, are you talking of handling and ride, or of acceleration ?

Drives better in all departments. The ride I guess is similar as the suspension may be similar as both have the multi-link suspension. Handling and acceleration is definitely better with the Jetta. I am guessing this is because of the MQB platform in the Superb.

While looking for a 'D' segment car, I test drove the Toyota Corolla Altis, Chevrolet Cruze, Skoda Octavia & VW Jetta. While the Altis and Cruze were ruled out immediately; it was a choice I had t make between the soon to be discontinued Jetta and the new Octavia. In this case too, the Jetta had a clear edge over the Octavia in terms of power, handling and ride. I suspected this to be based purely on the chassis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 4330230)
Aren't the engines of the Superb and Jetta the same but just mapped differently in terms of power? In such a case I guess the Superb may have been given the software update from the factory itself.

New diesel engines like EA288 don't need any remap, they were not part of dieselgate manipulations - this is what I was saying! I don't know if Jetta has the EA189 though - as its not built on MQB platform.

Quote:

Drives better in all departments. The ride I guess is similar as the suspension may be similar as both have the multi-link suspension. Handling and acceleration is definitely better with the Jetta. I am guessing this is because of the MQB platform in the Superb.
Jetta handling is on a different level as compared to Octavia and Superb. I have driven all 3 though not the diesel Superb. Jetta diesel, Octavia diesel, and 1.8TSI, and Superb 1.8TSI Mk2 and Mk3.

Quote:

While looking for a 'D' segment car, I test drove the Toyota Corolla Altis, Chevrolet Cruze, Skoda Octavia & VW Jetta. While the Altis and Cruze were ruled out immediately; it was a choice I had t make between the soon to be discontinued Jetta and the new Octavia. In this case too, the Jetta had a clear edge over the Octavia in terms of power, handling and ride. I suspected this to be based purely on the chassis.
Octavia 2.0TDI seemed as punchy in acceleration as Jetta 2.0 TDI when I had TD-ed them over ~40km, mostly on NH4 towards Kolar. Octavia was more nimble (direction change), but steering felt too light and the car nowhere planted like the Jetta.

BTW, since you're driving the Superb 2.0TDI DSG, there are reports that the throttle is tuned in favour of FE, and one can use VCDS to change the throttle to "Audi" mode, which improves initial response noticeably at the cost of some FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4330596)
New diesel engines like EA288 don't need any remap, they were not part of dieselgate manipulations - this is what I was saying!

Not sure of this really as we had booked our Superb in Feb 2016 even before its launch and we got delivery in Sept 2016. The delay was claimed to be due to emission issues.

Quote:

I don't know if Jetta has the EA189 though - as its not built on MQB platform.

The Jetta indeed has the EA189 engine.

Quote:

Jetta handling is on a different level as compared to Octavia and Superb. I have driven all 3 though not the diesel Superb. Jetta diesel, Octavia diesel, and 1.8TSI, and Superb 1.8TSI Mk2 and Mk3.

No doubt about it.

Quote:

Octavia 2.0TDI seemed as punchy in acceleration as Jetta 2.0 TDI when I had TD-ed them over ~40km, mostly on NH4 towards Kolar. Octavia was more nimble (direction change), but steering felt too light and the car nowhere planted like the Jetta.

On the contrary I found the Octavia to be as lethargic as my current Superb. And yes, it did feel much more nimble and lighter. This was after driving a 2010 Superb for almost 4 years so there was definitely a huge difference which was disappointing to say the least.

Quote:

BTW, since you're driving the Superb 2.0TDI DSG, there are reports that the throttle is tuned in favour of FE, and one can use VCDS to change the throttle to "Audi" mode, which improves initial response noticeably at the cost of some FE.

If this is true, it is possibly the reason why it is so lethargic. Will try to get hold of a VCDS and see if the changes make any difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMandarin (Post 4329374)
Many congratulations for your new ride lancer_rit :)

Skoda/VW usually keep on adding and removing features to the different variants. Can you suggest any way to keep track other than contacting the dealers directly (specifically interested about Superb)?

Also, it would be helpful if you can share some pictures of the interior specifically the Head unit and other elements that have been removed/updated as usually interiors see the most feature updates.

Thank you

Sure, I am trying to find out myself, but Skoda India customer care does not respond, and keeps redirecting to dealer or simply ignore :-(

For now, what I saw is the following:
- 2 keys instead of 3, and no Driver Personalization (atleast in my car)
- No tilt sensor turn off switch on B-pillar as in the team-bhp official review, not sure if this means the tilt/motion sensor is removed ?
- Claimed Boss Connect feature in Superb Style, but there is no WiFi and Boss Connect (Skoda Media Command app) doesn't connect. Since its a GBP 0 option in Amundsen 8" in UK/Europe (though L&K there gets 9.x" Columbus, not sure what Skoda India is doing here.

Need to check with a Superb L&K to see if if both L&K and Style have the same in MY18 (L&K does have WiFi I believe as does Octavia L&K model)

Also, Skoda India didn't give us the Bi-Xenon headlamp version that a L&K abroad gets -which has DRL eyelashes not just cut glass stripes. Those headlamps are totally *drool*-worthy.

As I am travelling, I shall post head-unit photo etc once I am back.

https://indianautosblog.com/2018/03/...-leaked-301435
2018 Skoda Superb (facelift)’s new front-end leaked

^^ Hmmm... VW/Skoda MY2018 was already launched after CW26 or similar of 2017. I bought in Sep 2017, and got among the 1st MY 2018 cars manufactured in Aug, 2017. So, this could be MY2019 if the reports are true.

Also, all VW/Skoda/Audi (as well other Euro manufacturers) will have to detune their engines and add a Gasoline Particulate Filter with new Euro 6+ norms from July this year - see below:Source : https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...ges-in-my2019/

So, if anyone is looking to buy the 1.8TSI, better do it now (also price hike from April 1 due to budget customs duty increase). The new 2.0 TSI 140kW is more or less the same level as 1.8TSI 132kW MT but will be more expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4375739)

So, if anyone is looking to buy the 1.8TSI, better do it now (also price hike from April 1 due to budget customs duty increase). The new 2.0 TSI 140kW is more or less the same level as 1.8TSI 132kW MT but will be more expensive.

Doesn't it make sense to wait for the new engine that meets the emission norms and be supported for longer? The 2.0 is more powerful and the 1.8 is pretty long in the tooth. Higher cost for a new engine seems a fair trade.