Team-BHP - Skoda Superb : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/175340-skoda-superb-official-review-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by M00M (Post 3960968)
There is some fuel in reserve always like 10 litres. Plus you dont count the fuel lines. You might have had a very close call. Always keep about 10 litres in the tank when refuelling as the particles from fuel if low can go into the engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acharya (Post 3961301)
If I am not wrong, fuel tank keeps a buffer for an air gap which is on top of the capacity. If there is no air buffer gap in the tank, then the pressure in the tank could go dangerously high, as air is more compressible than fuel. Moreover, you also have hose connecting to the tank, which can take up few extra liters of fuel.

I am not sure if modern cars have changed this aspect, still it explains the additional diesel in the tank.

Today I got the car full upto the brim. When I reached the pump the stats said 45 kms to fuel station. So I told the guy to tank full the car. So when he reached 60 litres he asked whether to proceed I told him that he should expect somewhere around 65 litres. But the meter did not stop there so I got off the car and it was crossing 70 litres and it went and stopped at 75 litres. Is this unusual or anybody else has experienced the same thing?
And yes I checked zero before starting.

I did make some enquiries at the pump w.r.t. their equipment but they were amused cause I know them for 20 years now.
Please let me know if this normal or it's time to change my fuel station?

bhpians, how do you find the Turning Diameter of the new Superb ? Does it always involve taking 3 point turns at U-turns and the like ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambodara (Post 4001232)
Today I got the car full upto the brim. When I reached the pump the stats said 45 kms to fuel station. So I told the guy to tank full the car. So when he reached 60 litres he asked whether to proceed I told him that he should expect somewhere around 65 litres. But the meter did not stop there so I got off the car and it was crossing 70 litres and it went and stopped at 75 litres. Is this unusual or anybody else has experienced the same thing?

I did make some enquiries at the pump w.r.t. their equipment but they were amused cause I know them for 20 years now.

45 km until empty, that means the warning light had come on?
Could it be the reserve tank? I'm not sure though.

Quote:

Mine does the same. I too was shocked as the amount of petrol that goes in the tank is way more than the specified capacity. I am sure it's an error on Skoda's part

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharat4ever (Post 4001335)
45 km until empty, that means the warning light had come on?
Could it be the reserve tank? I'm not sure though.

Yes warning light had come on. And the car was returning 7km/l so assuming 5-6.5 litres of fuel plus 75, it adds upto 80 approx.

The car is super awesome and I'm enjoying every bit of it. The only thing is that the front seats are very very uncomfortable to drive in. It is as if the whole car was designed by someone else and the seat was put by someone else. As if they ignored the designing of the seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambodara (Post 4003505)
Yes warning light had come on. And the car was returning 7km/l so assuming 5-6.5 litres of fuel plus 75, it adds upto 80 approx.

The car is super awesome and I'm enjoying every bit of it. The only thing is that the front seats are very very uncomfortable to drive in. It is as if the whole car was designed by someone else and the seat was put by someone else. As if they ignored the designing of the seat.

OT : so basically each refuel costs almost as much as a basic smart phone. and ten refills will see one parting away with the samsung flagship model lol:

Quote:

...and it was crossing 70 litres and it went and stopped at 75 litres. Is this unusual or anybody else has experienced the same thing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABbaby (Post 4002109)
Mine does the same. I too was shocked as the amount of petrol that goes in the tank is way more than the specified capacity. I am sure it's an error on Skoda's part

To best of my knowledge the tank calibration as stated by the manufacturer is usually lesser than the theoretical maximum that the fuel tank + internal fuel pipe can actually take. The manufacturer's calibration is done keeping some air in the tank. In my experience with the old Premier Padmini and my own Skoda Superb (2010 model) is that occasionally when the tank is almost dry the volume of fuel that it can swallow is a few litres higher than what you are used to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambodara (Post 4003505)
YThe only thing is that the front seats are very very uncomfortable to drive in. It is as if the whole car was designed by someone else and the seat was put by someone else. As if they ignored the designing of the seat.

This is really surprising - various reviews have not said anything adverse about the driving seat comfort and ergonomics. Could you elaborate on the issues you face - is it under-thigh support, or lumbar support etc etc ? Thanks

Happened to amble in to a Skoda showroom in Mumbai. Being a long term user of the Laura L&K TDI, I wanted to see the Superb close up.

The display model was the TSI L&K @34L on-road. It just did not feel WOW. The cabin felt very similar and for existing users they will not feel this to be an upgrade once they are inside.

But the shocker was no availability of the TDI. The sales guy informed me that Skoda had launched both petrol and diesel but will start selling the latter only post September. Things got interesting when in the same breath he told me that the FE for the petrol was about 7-8 kmpl in the city.

What sort of a person would say that upfront? And what is wrong with Skoda? Why will anyone launch a car in Q1 for the same to be made available only in Q4? Is it to get the new Passat launched and give that a free run for some months?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4003708)
This is really surprising - various reviews have not said anything adverse about the driving seat comfort and ergonomics. Could you elaborate on the issues you face - is it under-thigh support, or lumbar support etc etc ? Thanks

It is the under thigh support which is so dismal and the lumbar is found wanting.

See I'm graduating from Octavia VRS. Before finalising on superb I test drove CLA and Volvo v40. Both the cars have fabulous seats. So so comfortable. My observation is relative only pros can comment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khushrav (Post 4004402)
But the shocker was no availability of the TDI. The sales guy informed me that Skoda had launched both petrol and diesel but will start selling the latter only post September. Things got interesting when in the same breath he told me that the FE for the petrol was about 7-8 kmpl in the city.

What sort of a person would say that upfront?

Maybe he was being brutally honest for a change (for a car salesman) :D. Everyone knows there are NO TDI kits destined for India till Q4 so leaves no ground to gas about.

As for the fuel economy bit, most Bangaloreans who own Octavia TSIs are getting around 10 km/lt in city, so 7-8 km/lt is actually spot on for the Superb TSI.

With my Octavia, I am 'lucky' to stay way outside city so have a long-term average of 10.5 km/lt. However I expect it to improve as the engine runs in - I am at 7k now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4003708)

It is the under thigh support which is so dismal and the lumbar is found wanting.

See I'm graduating from Octavia VRS. Before finalising on superb I test drove CLA and Volvo v40. Both the cars have fabulous seats. So so comfortable. My observation is relative only pros can comment.

Saw a Spanking new Skoda Superb with Ministry of Defence Registration Plate. Never saw a Skoda as Government vehicle, it looked stunning and had good road presence. The car truly justifies its name. :)
Glad to see Government trying out the Germans instead of sticking to the usual Japanese. Skoda's are tanks on wheels, the Ministry of Defence made the right choice of car for being chauffeured. clap:

I also saw a brand new Superb in BLR in the Rosso Brunello colour. Looked stunning and had a great road presence.

Looked much more refreshing and different to the (now very common) Audis which seems to have become the new Swift in terms of numbers.

Another noticeable thing was the stunning front LED DRLs which also seem to function as indicators and switch back to white DRLs when the turn is finished.

I have had the superb for about 3 months now and have driven about 3000 Kms. Recently a series of squeaks have started to emerge in the cabin. They appear as if the are from the front left and right doors. These are not rattles but annoying squeaks which are especially heard while navigating Mumbai's suburban roads made with concrete paver blocks. On smooth tarmac like the recently surfaced sea link you feel like you are in zen temple however on the uneven streets of Bandra it's another story. Does anyone have the same problem and a possible fix in mind?