Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 18:12   #1441
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
How is the Superb doing? Have you had to make use of the extra engine oil that you keep in the boot? Does one have to watch the oil consumption on TSI engines more than other turbo petrol engines? I have never had to top up oil between oil changes on my current car.
Superb is purring away perfectly! Nope, no oil top-ups needed. Although my brother's driving style is only between 1500 - 3000 rpm. He's not big on redlining or enthusiastic driving.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 15:27   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb delisted from the company’s website.

Skoda Superb : Official Review-smartselect_20230602152333_chrome.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 17:46   #1443
BHPian

Superb Owners, i was looking for a pre-owned superb, 2021 model and came across this interesting one. There are lots of red flags you may find but there is a reason for same. The car is currently at 25000 kms, Feb 2021 registered but 3rd owner. Two owners (2nd and 3rd) within the family. 2nd owner bought the car from first owner at just 700 kms and 15 days old. Car is under warranty and service package. Insurance is showing 25% NCB, means no claims taken with IDV of 27 lacs approximately. following are questions:
1) Should I even think of buying it as a fourth owner? I dont intend to sell the car unless it breaks down totally, so no plan to sell atleast till another 7-8 years.
2) If yes, what should be a price point?

There are many first owner examples asking for anywhere between 28 to 32 lacs. That budget at this time will be a stretch for sure. So I am thinking of above example.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 11:13   #1444
BHPian

The pricing looks decent. But if you were to resell you will be taking a big hit. Also, just a note that this car this BS6 and not E20 compliant, if you have your worries about it. The other details are perfect.
Old 18th June 2023, 12:26   #1445
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I love the "5-spoke" rim design so much that my Esteem, City Vtec, Civic, 530d & Thar have worn it. Now, it will be the case with the Superb too.

I gifted them to my brother for this birthday . Stuck to the 17" size for practicality & ride comfort. The 18s on my 530d have been bent / cracked way too often. We only take the Germans out on the highway.

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230618-09.40.00.jpg

Also got the exterior & interior detailing from XSEL MotorworX. Big fan of their top-quality work:
Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230614-21.08.54.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2023 at 09:15. Reason: One more thing
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 15:57   #1446

Hello Superb owners,

I am on the lookout for a pre-loved Superb in Bengaluru or Chennai. I came across the following two:
  1. Petrol. 2019-Dec registered. 12,000 Km. Blue-grey colour. Asking price 28.5L. In Bengaluru. Seems to be in good condition. Parked at a dealer, but owned by an individual. The dealer said that test-drive will be given only after price is agreed. Still under original manufacturer warranty. No extended warranty purchased. Even the original umbrellas and the dustbin are present.
  2. Petrol. 2017-March registered. 42,000 Km. Brown colour. Asking price 20L. In Chennai. Seems to be in good condition. Parked at a dealer, but owned by an individual. I have test-driven this and did not notice any major issues. The dealer promised to fix all the minor issues which we noticed, as the dealer has an in-house multi-brand service center. He will make the car "like new" before delivery. The dealer even said that he can arrange Skoda warranty for the car (extra cost, payment to Skoda). Is this really possible? Will Skoda give warranty for cars which are beyond the warranty period?

I would like to ask the experts on this forum if either of the above looks like a good deal.

Whichever car I choose, I will take the car to a Skoda service center and get the service history. I was also told by the Chennai dealer that Skoda has a "360 degree inspection service", which is chargeable. They will give a report on the condition of the car. This sounded a lot like Wheels Wisdom's Used Car Inspection Service. Can the Skoda inspection be trusted?

In Chennai, since Wheels Wisdom is not present, I may have to depend on the Skoda inspection report. Or could someone recommend any good mechanic / inspection service?

In Bengaluru, I was planning to use Wheels Wisdom. But many dealers have displayed extreme reluctance to let Wheels Wisdom take the car to a 3rd party service center and inspect it. So, maybe even in Bengaluru, I will have to use the Skoda 360 inspection service.

Any other points which I should check when getting either of these cars?
t_anjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 15:40   #1447
BHPian

Hi Anjan,
first of, congratulations on zeroing in on a Superb!

If I were you, and if you're based out of Bangalore, then looking at the Bangalore car that has run much lower would be an easy choice.
This would help you to continue without having to pay road tax in KA again, and if it is in good shape, then even better given it is still under warranty.

Do note, while it is a DSG, depending on how one has driven the car, it could get quite delicate and a pretty penny to spend there.
I understand it is 8L more than the one in Chennai for sure, but you'd still be getting a relatively newer car that has run much lesser and is still under warranty which reduces headaches a lot.

As for getting it inspected, would highly recommend taking it to the Skoda service centre itself for a thorough check-up. They would be able to run diagnostics using VAGSCAN and identify the health of the vehicle which is the standard practice anyways, compared to multi-brand outlets who do not have direct access to the VAG Systems and their central servers.

Depending on which part of Bangalore you are in, you have options of going to TAFE or Raja Skoda.

My few cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_anjan View Post
Hello Superb owners,

I am on the lookout for a pre-loved Superb in Bengaluru or Chennai. I came across the following two:

Last edited by Aditya : 13th July 2023 at 06:00. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
roadwarrior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 19:21   #1448

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Hi Anjan,
first of, congratulations on zeroing in on a Superb!
Thank you for replying! Hope to close a purchase soon.

Quote:
If I were you, and if you're based out of Bangalore, then looking at the Bangelore car that has run much lower would be an easy choice.
This would help you to continue without having to pay road tax in KA again, and if it is in a good shape, then even better given it is still under warranty.

Do note, while it is a DSG, depending on how one has driven the car, it could get quite delicate and a pretty penny to spend there.
I understand it is 8L more than the one in Chennai for sure, but you'd still be getting a relatively newer car that has run much lesser and is still under warranty which reduces headache a lot.
Your advice echoes what a Skoda service manager told me as well. After I posted my question here, I actually visited a Skoda service center in Chennai (I happened to be in Chennai) and requested them to go through the service history of both cars. After a little convincing, and reassuring them that I am genuinely looking at purchasing one, they happily obliged. They showed me the service history of both cars on their monitor. The 6-year car had a lot more "entries" in the service history. The 3.5 year car had no entries apart from the yearly service. The service manager gave me his frank opinion that the 3.5 year car would be a much more hassle-free car, especially because warranty is still available, optionally, for 4.5 years more.

Quote:
As for getting it inspected, would highly recommend taking it to Skoda service centre itself for a thorough check-up. They would be able to run diagnostics using VAGSCAN and identify the health of the vehicle which is the standard practice anyways, compared to multi-brand outlets who do not have direct access to the VAG Systems and their central servers.

Depending on which part of Bangalore you are at, you have options of going to Tafe or Raja Skoda.

My few cents
Again, you have described exactly what I ended up doing. I convinced the Bengaluru dealer selling the 3.5 year car, to take the car to the Okalipuram PPS Skoda service center. I got in touch with the the service manager there directly and got them to do a general check-up. They charged Rs. 2,625. They did the VAGSCAN, checked the brake pads. Other than that, I don't think they did anything deeper, although the service manager said they did a lot of "checking and testing". They said the car is in perfect condition and no errors showed up anywhere. The Skoda bill mentions "General checkup done. Nor errors or faults found."

I am taking this as enough confirmation and thinking to proceed with the purchase. I have done the following:
  1. Checked the car details on the national crime database (no red flags).
  2. Checked on Vahan for traffic challans (none).
  3. Checked on Vahan for hypothecation (hypothecation removed in May).

I have seen the car in person a couple of weeks back. I will be checking it out again and doing a test-drive this weekend. Is there anything else which I should be looking out for, before closing the deal?
Old 12th July 2023, 19:41   #1449
BHPian

Great to hear that!
Brakepads / tyres cracks (usual tyre life is between 3.5-5 years even if the car has not run much, the rubber tends to become harder and cracks develop) / any leaks / AC condition / leather condition of the seats / minor cracks in the windows or glass areas / the pick-up from zero to get to 60kmph / idling state of the engine after starting it from a cold start (it should initially be at around 1200-1300 rpm and then after around 45-60 seconds, it should drop to under 1000 rpm) any rattles or creaks (creaking noises are due to rubber beadings and some cars unfortunately develop this condition).

Those, apart from the standard new car PDI would not be a bad idea.
If you plan to keep the car for a few years, the more newer the car, the better,.

Typically, when a Skoda service centre run their VAGScan, it would throw up errors if there is anything on the ECU / TCU. If it came out as no errors, you're good.
Although, multiple entries on the service record is not a red-flag, however, the reasons for that would be important. Example: Even if we go there for a software upgrade, they would make an entry, and if there is any issue in downloading the HU firmware, they might ask us to come back another day, and for the next visit too there would be an entry, if there is any noise, rubbing, minor issues due to wear/tear, they would make an entry each time we take it to the service centre, so I wouldn't take that seriously unless it has more issues on the entry.

Do note, the battery on the Skoda Superb typically runs for 2-3 years, although there are some owners who have had better luck. Skoda when under warranty, they strongly recommend only VAG Batteries, which is VARTA brand and costs more than what we might get from outside for that specific power rating is limited for options. I would also check if that was replaced as well, if not, please do consider the cost of that anywhere between 17-19k INR.

Mileage, this is a touchy topic for many of us who own a Superb. So whatever the meter says, take it with a pinch of salt. Within Bangalore city, you could expect 9-12 kmpl, and on highways, I've seen mine give me 18+ as well with cruise control on. In Chennai, given the roads are better and smoother flowing traffic compared to Bangalore, the average has been 12kmpl in the city.

Good news is that this is a VAG car, and there are so many mods and spares available with some specialized vendors who only work on these vehicles and you could add features / functionality that are available in the latest Superb and also some that are not in India, but those from Europe as well, so you're covered for years to come and the car feeling fresh and you not feeling like you're missing out on features

Hope you get your dream car. In a sea of SUV's, a very select few drive sedans these days and a Superb is a brilliant choice.
Forewarning, once you start driving a Superb, the dynamics and comfort would be quite addictive that would confuse you when you decide another vehicle.

Once you get it, please do share the pictures and your experience of your drives. This forum is a great platform for many likeminded individuals and you can expect a lot of support from the members who really are passionate about their vehicles irrespective of the brand.

Welcome again to Team-BHP and all the best for your Superb! Drive Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_anjan View Post

Again, you have described exactly what I ended up doing. I convinced the Bengaluru dealer selling the 3.5 year car, to take the car to the Okalipuram PPS Skoda service center. I got in touch with the the service manager there directly and got them to do a general check-up. They charged Rs. 2,625. They did the VAGSCAN, checked the brake pads. Other than that, I don't think they did anything deeper, although the service manager said they did a lot of "checking and testing". They said the car is in perfect condition and no errors showed up anywhere. The Skoda bill mentions "General checkup done. Nor errors or faults found."
Mod Note : Request you to please go through our Posting Etiquette for better post composition.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 13th July 2023 at 08:11. Reason: Quoted post trimmed + Mod note attached.
roadwarrior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2023, 21:06   #1450

Quote:
great to hear that!
Brakepads / tyres cracks (usual tyre life is between 3.5-5 years even if the car has not run much, the rubber tends to become harder and cracks develop) / any leaks / AC condition / leather condition of the seats / minor cracks in the windows or glass areas / the pick-up from zero to get to 60kmph / idling state of the engine after starting it from a cold start (it should initially be at around 1200-1300 rpm and then after around 45-60 seconds, it should drop to under 1000 rpm) any rattles or creaks (creaking noises are due to rubber beadings and some cars unfortunately develop this condition).

Those, apart from the standard new car PDI would not be a bad idea.
If you plan to keep the car for a few years, the more newer the car, the better,.
That is a very useful list. I will definitely check them all out.

Quote:
Although, multiple entries on the service record is not a red-flag, however, the reasons for that would be important. Example: Even if we go there for a software upgrade, they would make an entry, and if there is any issue in downloading the HU firmware, they might ask us to come back another day, and for the next visit too there would be an entry, if there is any noise, rubbing, minor issues due to wear/tear, they would make an entry each time we take it to the service centre, so I wouldn't take that seriously unless it has more issues on the entry.
I understand. But the actual content of the entries was a little worrying to me. They were all minor, but there were a lot of replacements done: switches, relays, remote key, infotainment repair, etc. Every item said something like: "replaced under manufacturer warranty / goodwill warranty". The service manager said that none of them were major or worrying, he was clear in saying that such repairs were probably going to get more frequent going forward. If the service manager himself was thinking that, it was probably going to be worse.

Quote:
Do note, the battery on the Skoda Superb typically runs for 2-3 years, although there are some owners who have had better luck. Skoda when under warranty, they strongly recommend only VAG Batteries, which is VARTA brand and costs more than what we might get from outside for that specific power rating is limited for options. I would also check if that was replaced as well, if not, please do consider the cost of that anywhere between 17-19k INR.
In fact, during the last service in Oct 2022, the service center has recommended a battery change, and the owner has got it replaced in Nov 2022, from Skoda itself. So, I guess that is a box checked.

Quote:
Mileage, this is a touchy topic for many of us who own a Superb. So whatever the meter says, take it with a pinch of salt. Within Bangalore city, you could expect 9-12 kmpl, and on highways, I've seen mine give me 18+ as well with cruise control on. In Chennai, given the roads are better and smoother flowing traffic compared to Bangalore, the average has been 12kmpl in the city.

Good news is that this is a VAG car, and there are so many mods and spares available with some specialized vendors who only work on these vehicles and you could add features / functionality that are available in the latest Superb and also some that are not in India, but those from Europe as well, so you're covered for years to come and the car feeling fresh and you not feeling like you're missing out on features
That's great to hear!

Quote:
Hope you get your dream car. In a sea of SUV's, a very select few drive sedans these days and a Superb is a brilliant choice.
Forewarning, once you start driving a Superb, the dynamics and comfort would be quite addictive that would confuse you when you decide another vehicle.

Once you get it, please do share the pictures and your experience of your drives. This forum is a great platform for many likeminded individuals and you can expect a lot of support from the members who really are passionate about their vehicles irrespective of the brand.

Welcome again to Team-BHP and all the best for your Superb! Drive Safe
Yes, I will definitely share pictures after I get the car.

Thanks a lot again, for spending so much time guiding me.
Old 22nd July 2023, 15:23   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb success story

Quote:
› The fourth generation builds on the Superb’s longstanding tradition as the Škoda brand’s standard bearer

› The predecessors of the modern Superb generations were produced by Škoda in the 1930s and 1940s

› The first modern generation of the Škoda Superb rolled off the production lines in 2001, followed by the second generation in 2008 and the third in 2015, with more than 1,560,000 cars sold of all generations combined

› The Superb has won numerous awards and head-to-heads in many tests since 2001
Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230722_151755.jpg

Press Release

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd July 2023 at 15:28.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 10:56   #1452
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I hated the L&K's rims from day 1. Gifted these to my brother on his birthday . As some of you know, I'm a lover of 5-spoke rims (this is now the 3rd car in the house with the Starfish 5-Spoke design). Told my bro that we need better & fatter tyres. Maybe the next birthday gift?

18" would look better, but I know the pains of 18" rims & low-profile tyres on Indian roads, thanks to my 530d (frequently bent rims). Also, I didn't want to compromise on the ride quality - comfort is very important to my brother, so we're happy with the R17 size.

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230818-10.11.34.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230818-08.36.20.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230818-08.35.54.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230818-08.36.35.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230818-10.12.11.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20230818-10.11.54.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2023 at 11:44.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 14:29   #1453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hated the L&K's rims from day 1. Gifted these to my brother on his birthday

Attachment 2492372

Attachment 2492375
Everyone for themselves but this design is so disconnected from the rest of the car. IMO this would be more fitting on a pre-owned 2016 Verna than a Superb

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2023 at 20:50. Reason: Typo
omranga98 is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 18:46   #1454
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by omranga98 View Post
Everyone for themselves but this design is so disconnected from the rest of the car. IMO this would more fitting on a pre-ownded 2016 Verna than a Superb
LOL! Feedback noted, man. But me & my bro really love them. And they are arguably better than the L&K stock ones. Cheers.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 20:01   #1455
Distinguished - BHPian

No problem with the style, just that this design has been so heavily used in budget cars - all the way from modded zen classic - one automatically associates this design with lesser cars. You can probably give a try to 5 spoke designs that are common among luxury brands.

PS: I'm glad to see such feedback is given to GTO and even more glad to see how he received it.
androdev is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks