Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 20:22   #1456
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
LOL! Feedback noted, man. But me & my bro really love them. And they are arguably better than the L&K stock ones. Cheers.
Painting them white might make them look more luxurious. But at the end of the day, it's the owner that needs to like how it looks, not the rest of the world.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 17:45   #1457
BHPian

The dreaded Skoda Superb battery issue struck last week, mostly due to (my) ignorance and partly due to hare-brained design by VW/Skoda which has 'direct' power to the cigarette lighter.

It all started after installing a new dashcam (a necessity with all the road rage nuisance in BLR). Got it wired to the lighter. Worked like a charm, only I failed to notice the design flaw (in my opinion). The 2017 Jazz also has a similar dashcam setup, but works only when the ignition is on.

Warned once that the "12V battery is low, drive to recharge", did that faithfully. Worked fine on Saturday. Tuesday next, same notification, but then EPC, electric parking brake, etc., all started throwing errors. Engine refused to start, car wouldn't recognize key. A call to the SA confirmed 'battery issue'.

The friendly neighborhood battery guy was insistent on selling me a replacement till he saw the AGM on the Varta. Drove to the service center, got a replacement.
amavin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 19:46   #1458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO;5606723As some of you know, I'm a lover of 5-spoke rims ([I
this is now the 3rd car in the house with the Starfish 5-Spoke design[/i]). Told my bro that we need better & fatter tyres. Maybe the next birthday gift?

]
The car looks like it's suited up in Blazers, but wearing Crocs. Feels almost like it has a rebellious spirit within a fine body! - almost like Rose from the Titanic!!!

If it is tuned to soup up the engine, it would nicely compliment the character projected by the exterior design! Any maybe throw in some red colored Brembos

Last edited by buzzy_boy : 28th August 2023 at 19:49.
buzzy_boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 20:44   #1459

Quote:
I hated the L&K's rims from day 1. Gifted these to my brother on his birthday . As some of you know, I'm a lover of 5-spoke rims (this is now the 3rd car in the house with the Starfish 5-Spoke design). Told my bro that we need better & fatter tyres. Maybe the next birthday gift?

18" would look better, but I know the pains of 18" rims & low-profile tyres on Indian roads, thanks to my 530d (frequently bent rims). Also, I didn't want to compromise on the ride quality - comfort is very important to my brother, so we're happy with the R17 size.

Attachment 2492373

Attachment 2492371

Attachment 2492369

Attachment 2492372

Attachment 2492375

Attachment 2492374
Perfect example of how beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. To me these look like the space saver spare wheels luxury cars offer. Not at all something I would pay to fit on a handsome car like the Superb.

Admins please remove if this comment is found offensive
Sayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 05:43   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I didn't want to compromise on the ride quality - comfort is very important to my brother, so we're happy with the R17 size.
I was expecting the car to wear a pair of Michelin/Continental/Yokohama. But why the Apollo Aspire? I've hardly heard about people getting them after market in the enthusiast circle.
Old 29th August 2023, 16:42   #1461
BHPian

Fellow Superb owners,

I have come across a pre-owned example of 23000 kms driven. Car is September 2022 manufactured and October delivered. Everything is clean except the fact that car's first service was carried out at 22000 kms instead of 15000 kms. The car has a service package as well but I believe the owner missed. Is that a red flag? I think the warranty will be considered void in such a case. Speaking to Skoda service, they said it will be decided on which part needs to be replaced in warranty, could regular service have avoided its failure? But knowing Skoda, this could be a major reason they could decline the warranty claim.

Your expert opinion is appreciated.

Last edited by graaja : 29th August 2023 at 19:12. Reason: Grammar and minor typos
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 01:03   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Car's first service was carried out at 22000 kms instead of 15000 kms. But knowing Skoda, this could be a major reason they could decline the warranty claim.

7000 KMs beyond intended service is definitely way far off a good care. I prefer to service 2.0 TSI at around 10K KMs.

Skoda or any other manufacturer, has every right to dump vehicle warranty altogether.
It's now upto them, should they choose to entertain.
Old 3rd September 2023, 01:33   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Fellow Superb owners,

I have come across a pre-owned example of 23000 kms driven. Car is September 2022 manufactured and October delivered. Everything is clean except the fact that car's first service was carried out at 22000 kms instead of 15000 kms. The car has a service package as well but I believe the owner missed. Is that a red flag? I think the warranty will be considered void in such a case. Speaking to Skoda service, they said it will be decided on which part needs to be replaced in warranty, could regular service have avoided its failure? But knowing Skoda, this could be a major reason they could decline the warranty claim.

Your expert opinion is appreciated.
From what I remember, internationally these German cars come with a 15k kms service interval to make it more convenient for the first owner and roll everything into one nice leasing package without having to worry about the extra costs of taking it in for service when you are scraping pennies or for accountants comparing ownership costs in an excel sheet. In India, it also helps to hide demo cars since otherwise the first service would show up in the car's history before the date it is officially registered/sold.

All this is well and good but it doesn't change the fact that cars do need an oil change after the first few thousand kms. Due to improvements in engineering precision, there won't be as many metal filings etc contaminating the oil as for cars made a decade or two ago but it is still present. 15k kms was a compromise between an engineer and an accountant as for the highest this car can go with this dirty oil without causing damage that might show up within the warranty period.

Now the reason I explained all this is because this car just drove for 22k kms on the oil that it came with from the factory. Considering the current mileage of 23k kms, most likely the only reason it was even sent for the first service is because the current owner started trying to sell it off and someone pointed this out. With synthetic oil, you can go longer between subsequent oil changes but not with the very first one.

Do you really want to buy a car where the owner managed to drive it for 23k kms in less than a year and couldn't even be bothered to send it in for service? Most likely it was owned by someone completely ignorant or someone who just didn't care. Either way, I would stay away.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 21:42   #1464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Do you really want to buy a car where the owner managed to drive it for 23k kms in less than a year and couldn't even be bothered to send it in for service? Most likely it was owned by someone completely ignorant or someone who just didn't care. Either way, I would stay away.
Thank you for your response. You are right, I should not even think about proceeding further on such example. Infect, I have already declined the offer. I don't know what I was thinking, may be I was too much into it. The reason why I was inclined towards it was that everything was setting as per my expectation. But then, cars may come and go, patience is the key in this pre-owned game.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 11:06   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb to make comeback soon; unofficial bookings open.

- Skoda India will reintroduce the current-gen Superb sedan in limited numbers as a CBU in the coming months.

- Will come with ADAS and a 360-degree camera.

- To launch in single top-spec L&K variant.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th September 2023 at 11:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 02:21   #1466

Interesting choice of rims. Looks great in general for a sports car. Might suit an Octy with a sportier colour more. Sounds like you and your brother have liked these sort of rims for a while, I'm glad you're happy.

I'm not a huge fan of the look on this particular car. That's ok, we all have our preferences. I still have my superb on stock everything except PPF on the outside
Old 29th September 2023, 13:58   #1467
BHPian

I have been waiting for long to write about my Superb for a long time, but haven't gotten to it. But a few quick questions before taking my car to the ASC for its third-year annual service.

What all service items will be done and their cost split up? Anything else regarding the DSG and injectors that I should bring up?

The SA had mentioned last time that the battery was weak, so is there a warranty from Skoda for it?

One last thing, there is an annoying rattle from the dashboard, which goes away when I open and re-lock the glove box. Is this related to the glove box lock, and should I ask for them to replace it, possibly under warranty?

Last edited by Aditya : 19th October 2023 at 17:29. Reason: Grammar
Old 19th October 2023, 16:19   #1468
BHPian

Folks, we went on a trip to Goa from Bangalore on Saturday morning. When we reached around 20km from Tumkur at around 8am, the low coolant warning popped up on the dash. Oil temperature was around 113 to 114 C. This usually was at around 110 C. Made a quick call to my regular service advisor and was told that I could top up the coolant tank if it was below minimum using regular drinking water. I did this, although I didnt wait for the water to cool down completely.

We started back on the journey and 5 km later the warning popped back up. I got worried and found out that there was a PPL skoda service centre at Tumkur. reach there at 8:30 am and they did a fantastic job in terms of checking out the coolant system thoroughly. The main worry was whether there was a coolant leak. They pressure tested the system and found nothing. They then bled air from the system and topped it up with coolant and water mix. We did a 20 km test run during which the warning did not reappear. Was really happy with the way they handled us as we had family in the car and had dropped in out of the blue. We continued on to goa and back. The car has now run roughly 1500km after that including the 600km journey back to bangalore. No more warnings ... yet.

Wanted to check with the folk here. Is this something that has happened to you? In all my years of owning a car this has never happened to me. I always thought the the coolant system was a closed loop and coolant top ups were very rare. This one is a 3 year old Superb L&K petrol, running almost daily and serviced at the dealership regularly. Any thoughts why this could happen? Am worrried that there is something that hasnt been identified and can leave me stranded on the road.
Old 19th October 2023, 19:14   #1469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
Any thoughts why this could happen? Am worrried that there is something that hasnt been identified and can leave me stranded on the road.
I'd suggest to get it properly checked at your trusted local dealer. The 1.8TSI is notorious for water pump / thermostat failure. This can also lead to dripping coolant damaging the timing belt etc.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 13:35   #1470
BHPian

Has anyone installed bilstein b6 shocks?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks