Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2017, 06:47   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The front fenders were always plastic on the XUV5OO and it was a well known fact when it was launched. This was done to reduce weight. I don't think there is an issue with it as long as it does not compromise on safety. One problem is that the fender needs to get replaced in case of a hit as it cannot be dented and painted.
Even the tata safari bumper is plastic. There is a metal rod behind that is attached to the chassis and provides the impact protection
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 10:24   #2477
BHPian

Bumper is plastic for all cars now a days.

We were talking about fender which is different.

But if any Tata car had plastic fender, people would have jumped to Tata bashing.

I have seen two xuv's at service center with broken fronts including fenders. I did not check the price, but including painting etc, it will not be cheap.
Old 30th July 2017, 11:10   #2478
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
Nice idea
How much would wrapping the whole HEXA cost in your opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
IMO a frozen black would look awesome as will the very common metallic blue, rest up to your imagination .
Complete wrapping changes colour of the car (At least for looks, even though the original paint of the car is intact hiding behind the wrapping). Your RC of the car will show one colour and your car looks like other. I feel this may attract fines, if caught in a vehicle paper checking. Request some insight from fellow BHPans.
vsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 11:27   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Garg View Post
My friend brought xuv500 recently. After a few days he noticed that front fenders are made of plastics.
Huge disappointment for him. So much for mahindra.

I believe Hexa does not have such plastic body parts - please check n confirm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Seems like, they got inspired from their e2O where the whole of external body panels are plastic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
This was done to reduce weight. I don't think there is an issue with it as long as it does not compromise on safety. One problem is that the fender needs to get replaced in case of a hit as it cannot be dented and painted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Even the tata safari bumper is plastic. There is a metal rod behind that is attached to the chassis and provides the impact protection
IIRC plastic bumper is a regulatory requirement for pedestrian safety. Not sure, but may be the mandate also includes front fenders as well. Nothing to do with cost cutting by Tata/Mahindra/or any other manufacturer. I would always prefer a plastic bumper/fender over a hard metal one. In addition to reduced weight, it would not pass the entire impact to the body in case of collision due to its collapsible nature.
Old 30th July 2017, 18:00   #2480
BHPian

One feature that is sorely missing, imo is true keyless entry start & go.
Now, with this system being implemented in the upcoming Nexon, I hope Tata can offer that in the Hexa as well. At a 2 million rupee price point, this is definitely a must.

Also, the new Harman system in Nexon supports Android auto. Hope Tata brings this update to Hexa.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 30th July 2017 at 18:01.
Old 30th July 2017, 18:10   #2481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Now, with this system being implemented in the upcoming Nexon, I hope Tata can offer that in the Hexa as well. At a 2 million rupee price point, this is definitely a must.

Also, the new Harman system in Nexon supports Android auto. Hope Tata brings this update to Hexa.
I don't think the same software would ever come to Hexa. If you observe the buttons around the infotainment system in tiago, tigor, hexa, etc, it's all the same. But is totally different in Nexon as it's got a different UI/UX.
Yes, it should have been given to Hexa as well, but not sure if it will ever be.
Old 30th July 2017, 18:36   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post

What was Tata even thinking ? No pure keyless entry and Android-Auto for the infotainment system in their flagship was okay but how come they're offering both the above features in the much cheaper Nexon? I'm literally pissed off with the feature allocation of the Hexa and Nexon siblings. Secondly, Nexon is having a first-in-segment activity smart key which is basically a watch kinda key. Sounds unrealistic but it's true and the flagship isn't even getting a smart key. Shame on TATA's part. Hope that they atleast give an infotainment system software update to the Hexa owners with Android-Auto and Apple-Carplay. This shouldn't be much of a work-around for Tata because as their existing Navimaps also work on the same principle of screen-mirroring.

Varun
Old 30th July 2017, 23:01   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
What was Tata even thinking ? No pure keyless entry and Android-Auto for the infotainment system in their flagship was okay but how come they're offering both the above features in the much cheaper Nexon? I'm literally pissed off with the feature allocation of the Hexa and Nexon siblings. Secondly, Nexon is having a first-in-segment activity smart key which is basically a watch kinda key. Sounds unrealistic but it's true and the flagship isn't even getting a smart key. Shame on TATA's part. Hope that they atleast give an infotainment system software update to the Hexa owners with Android-Auto and Apple-Carplay. This shouldn't be much of a work-around for Tata because as their existing Navimaps also work on the same principle of screen-mirroring.

Varun
Navimaps doesn't work on screen mirroring. It just uses the gps and maps data from the phone. It's not a true screen mirroring application. Had it been so, android auto would also have been a part of the system!
Old 30th July 2017, 23:30   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Two features I want to see before I put my money into a hexa:

An 8inch ice like the one in landrover

Start stop with a smart key.

If you are listening Tata, these can be there by the festival season.

The safari has such a superb rear bench. What prevented you from having the same in the Hexa? The H point is way off, with the bench set too low or flat.
Old 31st July 2017, 10:14   #2485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Two features I want to see before I put my money into a hexa:

An 8inch ice like the one in landrover

Start stop with a smart key.

If you are listening Tata, these can be there by the festival season.

The safari has such a superb rear bench. What prevented you from having the same in the Hexa? The H point is way off, with the bench set too low or flat.
Having booked the Hexa after an evaluation of almost 4 months, I can say the following about your requirements above.

1. Larger ICE: While this was a sore point when I saw the HExa for the first time, it was only from an aesthetics perspective. I found no use of a larger ICE in any vehicle. Once you are driving, the ICE is not something that you will look at frequently. ICEs are designed to be unobtrusive and in a lot of higher end cars they also turn off the display while driving. Having driven the Hexa many times now in the last 4 months, I can safely say that i did not once reaching for the ICE or really caring about the fact that it was there. In fact the only thing you will find checking regularly is the MID in the instrument cluster.

2. Smart Key / Start Stop: This is a nice to have feature. Doesn't really help reduce any effort to open and start the car. Does it? The only step you are removing is pressing the unlock button. You still have to open the door and push a button to start the car (rather than turn a key)

3. Bench Seats: I am 5'11'' and found the rear seats to be very comfortable. This is the only place where I would say that your preference is your own. While I can't answer why the Safari bench did not make it into the Hexa, if someone told me that this has the Safari's seats, I would't be too happy about it.

I am buying a product from the new Tata (company and car) and would like to leave as much of the old Tata behind as possible.
mostlynerd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 10:48   #2486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Garg View Post

But if any Tata car had plastic fender, people would have jumped to Tata bashing.

I have seen two xuv's at service center with broken fronts including fenders. I did not check the price, but including painting etc, it will not be cheap.
Totally agree with your point ref. Tata bashing.

I own a XUV and I too have seen 2 or 3 XUVs with crushed fenders since 2013. No tinker guy with ordinary skills and tools can re-form a deformed metal fender (like that of XUV which has a bold design, but plastic) to its original shape. Same goes to Fiat Punto which has a uniquely curved fender. The result is, the owner may wish to replace the entire fender to regain the original looks and in such a scenario, ABS or TPO fenders do make sense when cost factor is concerned; fenders can be moulded or even 3-D printed using these materials whereas numerous hydraulic die/press operations are required to fabricate them in MS, aluminium or similar "sheet metal". They also act like crumpling fortresses and accept a lot of energy, thus mitigate the oncoming impact force. (The metal fenders too can do this with elan of course, but they add more weight).

The XUV came with these right from day one, and actually the plastic fenders were very well appreciated by both the press and experts so much so Mahindra even went to highlight them in expos.

So please tell your disappointed friend to read this article and cheer up, congrats for his new purchase

https://crankit.in/weight-loss-therapy/

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 31st July 2017 at 11:11. Reason: more clarity
Old 31st July 2017, 11:17   #2487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post
Having booked the Hexa after an evaluation of almost 4 months, I can say the following about your requirements above.

1. Larger ICE: .....

2. Smart Key / Start Stop: This is a nice to have feature. Doesn't really help reduce any effort to open and start the car. Does it? The only step you are removing is pressing the unlock button. You still have to open the door and push a button to start the car (rather than turn a key)

I am buying a product from the new Tata (company and car) and would like to leave as much of the old Tata behind as possible.
A larger ICE is always a good to have option. Main problem is not the lack of it, but the lack of convenience features like Android auto & Apple car play. Especially now, since another launch so close to the Hexa's gets it.

Same goes for the smart key. It hugely reduces the effort - you don't have to remove the key & press the unlock button on the fob, then fumble for the keyhole & turn it. The smart key remains in the pocket all this while.
That's a big deal imo.

Not to mention a key that is simply put together better (the current one is flimsy & a straight lift from a hatchback 1/4th the price).

Skipping the auto-dimming irvm here as it can be easily replaced aftermarket.

But given the overall package from Tata, both these are not deal breakers for me. Tata has made an honest effort to give its Indian consumers class leading & well put together product(s). I respect them for that & would happily put my money on the Hexa.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 31st July 2017 at 11:19.
Old 31st July 2017, 15:01   #2488
BHPian

Hexa is getting ICE software update , some customers have got it updated in the service. Still need to get update what exactly this update changes in terms of user prospective , and according to Harman people they are not ruling out android support also for this unit .
Old 31st July 2017, 18:41   #2489
BHPian

How can Hexa withstand onslaught from Jeep Compass, launched at a mind-blowing price?

Rs 14.95 lakh for an established international brand, as far as an SUV segment is concerned, can easily eat away M&M models also including Scorpio and XUV500! And that will be more lethal if FIL can establish their dealership at a fast rate (and I've heard that people are queuing to get the dealership..one model is going to do the wonders). And fate of Duster, Creta, Tuson and few others will be clear in coming few months!

Coming back to Hexa, it's less powered (154 bhp vs 173 bhp, though more torquey), power/torque to weight also much less and, the huge brand advantage in favour of Compass also! And they have Petrol automatic also)

However, Hexa has something in its favour also: it can sit 6/7, option of diesel automatic, now much better ASS which is much more assured and less costly. Remember, Compass is from the stable of Fiat which in spite of having great products cannot succeed just because of horrible ASS and ever reducing reach. It's a BIG factor.

Whatever, for people not requiring 5+ seats, Hexa and likes have to keep their finger crossed and need to play really smartly. Dear, now don't ever think to increase the prices until Compass do the same!

Last edited by kbishwa : 31st July 2017 at 18:43. Reason: Grammar
Old 31st July 2017, 21:30   #2490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
How can Hexa withstand onslaught from Jeep Compass, launched at a mind-blowing price?

Coming back to Hexa, it's less powered (154 bhp vs 173 bhp, though more torquey), power/torque to weight also much less and, the huge brand advantage in favour of Compass also! And they have Petrol automatic also)

However, Hexa has something in its favour also: it can sit 6/7, option of diesel automatic, now much better ASS which is much more assured and less costly. Remember, Compass is from the stable of Fiat which in spite of having great products cannot succeed just because of horrible ASS and ever reducing reach. It's a BIG factor.

Whatever, for people not requiring 5+ seats, Hexa and likes have to keep their finger crossed and need to play really smartly. Dear, now don't ever think to increase the prices until Compass do the same!
People who needs a people mover with bigger families would never look at Compass. At the same time people who are basically looking for 4-5 seater, Compass makes very compelling case with the pricing and the solidly engineered car with very good build.

On the International brand, many have come and gone. The product backed by service is what makes it a success.

PS: Service things is blown out of proportion in the case of TATA and Fiat. Even though the numbers of centers are less with Fiat, calling it horrible is way too much and mind you this happens with TATA too.
nkrishnap is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks