Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 15:05   #2596
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
At a traffic signal stood next to a fortuner which I felt looked smaller than the hexa, no Offence to fortuner owners. .
Now , Now ! That is a proud owners perspective. While I have not examined the exact specification sheet of both the vehicles, the old as well as the new Fortuner are no slouch in size or road presence
Enjoy your ride !
goswami.j is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 15:20   #2597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
At a traffic signal stood next to a fortuner which I felt looked smaller than the hexa, no Offence to fortuner owners.
I was stuck in the traffic today, with a Hexa XTA stuck beside me less than a foot away. I noticed that the Hexa ORVMs were a few cms over my head.
And, I am a six footer and drive a WagonR k10 (which has high seating unlike other hatchbacks).

Definitely it has some presence on the road.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 15:36   #2598
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Now , Now ! That is a proud owners perspective. While I have not examined the exact specification sheet of both the vehicles, the old as well as the new Fortuner are no slouch in size or road presence
Enjoy your ride !
Pardon me, but there is something called reading between the lines, I think the authors intent was to highlight that Hexa is no way smaller than than Fortuner/Endeavour and delving deep into his intent, I think he wanted to convey that similar sized Hexa is available for a fraction of a price when compared to the other two.

Now to the numbers (mm) for your reference -

Hexa -

Length: 4788
Width: 1908
Height: 1791

Fortuner -

Length: 4795
Width: 1855
Height: 1835

XUV -

Length: 4585
Width: 1890
Height: 1785

Endeavour -

Length: 4892
Width: 1860
Height: 1837

Conclusions (From Numbers & not for the love of Ownership) -

1) Hexa Trumps XUV in all the departments, where size matters.
2) Hexa Trumps ALL 3 in Width.
3) Hexa is 7 mm (less than a cm) shorter than the Fortuner, is that Huge, please read Point #4 for an analogy ?
4) Hexa is 97 mm (less than 10 cms, 3.81 inches) shorter than the Endeavour. Less than the height difference of Tendulkar and Dhoni. If someone was install those lousy Bull Bars, it shall be longer than the Endy.

As I have stated in my previous posts, the Indian mentality of an SUV is, Height, height and height, the taller the butcher SUV. To add to it, the rear overhang should be shorter than the bonnet, which is the case in the Fortuner but no so pronounced in the Endy.

Perceptions are hard to change, mate, and this is exactly where TATA fails.

Last edited by Torquedo : 9th August 2017 at 15:52.
Torquedo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 15:48   #2599
BHPian

I really don't understand why TATA are not going all out on advertisements for Hexa. Is it because they already have reached their maximum production capacity and may not be able to handle the extra demand?
Billboards here and there are fine. But look at the campaigns Mahindra are running. Live young live free is totally amazing!
The compass, city, terrano, ciaz, etc too keep showing up.
Old 9th August 2017, 15:51   #2600
Senior - BHPian

I'd say that all four cars are more or less the same in size, with the XUV being just a little less longer. If GC, wheelbase and headroom for passengers can be obtained with lesser height, that is actually better from a safety/stability point of view, since a lower centre of gravity is then obtained to reduce rollover risk and a slightly lower vulnerability to side winds on open highways.

All other things being the same, I would prefer a lower Hexa to a taller SUV for that reason alone. And of course the killer 12.85 lakhs price is a bargain.

Last edited by Sawyer : 9th August 2017 at 15:52.
Sawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 15:57   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone changed speakers of the Hexa ?

During the test drive,the OEM speakers with the amp sound very 'bassy' and did not give a balanced sound/ tonal output. I tried to fiddle with the audio controls, adjust bass,treble but that did not help.

also could not find a Sub Woofer switch off option.

My comparison is with an alpine HU and JBL components in my safari, which sound much better, provide better mid-range/vocal.
Old 9th August 2017, 19:49   #2602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Has anyone changed speakers of the Hexa ?

During the test drive,the OEM speakers with the amp sound very 'bassy' and did not give a balanced sound/ tonal output. I tried to fiddle with the audio controls, adjust bass,treble but that did not help.

also could not find a Sub Woofer switch off option.

My comparison is with an alpine HU and JBL components in my safari, which sound much better, provide better mid-range/vocal.
Even i am looking out for options, but only for the woofer. I was told that the stock amplifier would not be compatible.
Can anyone confirm the same? If yes, then what are the available models that i can look at which are compatible?
Old 9th August 2017, 20:02   #2603
BHPian

There is a new ICE software update on HEXA, In case you are going to service station please get your software updated in case they don't update by default. Might this help you .
Old 9th August 2017, 20:17   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
Enjoy your ride !
I do not own a Hexa. However, I would be glad to share my experience of seeing the Hexa for the first time on the road while going home from the airport from another country: it does look far, far more imposing than the fortuner or any other SUV. It is very aggressive in a subtle way. At night, with those LED lights switched on, the blue/white Hexa looks menacing in a very good way. You'll want to get out of their way simply to look how beautiful it is. I'm not biased. You could take it to a village and ask folks there. They'd say the same thing.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 12:55   #2605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
As I have stated in my previous posts, the Indian mentality of an SUV is, Height, height and height, the taller the butcher SUV. To add to it, the rear overhang should be shorter than the bonnet, which is the case in the Fortuner but no so pronounced in the Endy.
Hexa is one good looking vehicle. But there is no denying its minivan silhouette. For that matter a Force traveler is bigger than any SUV int he market, that does not automatically elevate its "butchness". There is no denying the charm of the classic SUV shape.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 13:09   #2606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
For that matter a Force traveler is bigger than any SUV int he market, that does not automatically elevate its "butchness".
Looks like you're taking his comments on height and butch looks too literally and to a whole new level!
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 13:14   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Why would one want to pay 5 lakhs more for an equivalent Compass that has lesser space inside for both people and luggage?

It can't be for after sales support!
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 13:50   #2608
BHPian

I think it has more to do with the JEEP brand that pulls people in. People will firstly compare it to Wrangler and Grand Cherokee prices which are north of 50L. So it immediately screams value from that perspective. Then there is no denying the good looks. Once they get you in the car, it probably has the best driving dynamics of any SUV in that price range (Judging from available reviews). That is what will keep the enthusiast GLUED! Also the size and shape of the car is better suited to our congested cities, yet big enough to have a presence.

Casual Younger Buyer will be hooked by just by JEEP+LOOKS+PRICE.
Enthusiast will be hooked by Driving Dynamics+JEEP+LOOKS+PRICE.

The Oldsmobile line "It's NOT your father's TATA" comes to mind.

I hope they do well in the long term, specially with respect to reliability and ASS. On a HEXA note, trying to get my dad to book one. Getting a lot of resistance from everyone he mentions TATA name to. Hopefully he tilts the HEXA way, the value at current price is unbeatable!
budgam.boonyi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 14:16   #2609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Why would one want to pay 5 lakhs more for an equivalent Compass that has lesser space inside for both people and luggage?

It can't be for after sales support!
Such a simple & correct question. However - with the metric applied - all of Tata Motors' cars should have topped the sales in their respective segments.

They don't...
The reasons are not exactly in the particular car - HEXA - but in the perception, unpardonable blunders made in history & an unnecessarily hyped "Taxi Motors" image associated with Tata cars.

It will take time to get out of all this & to start being looked at as a real power player at the table of automakers. I hope they keep up the grit & don't lose steam with a few setbacks if faced.

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th August 2017 at 14:17.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 14:54   #2610
Senior - BHPian

I agree about the history hangover that afflicts Tata - but not the Taxi Motors thing because that trade also sees many cars from Maruti, Hyundai and Toyota but that doesn't stop the private customer that sees the value in these cars to buy them as well.

I don't think there is any doubt that Tata is here to stay, so this is the time to pick up some bargains from the stable before the brand builds a premium around it. Hexa is definitely one big bargain in the lowest trim versions and if the price for that is a guide, a similar trim Nexon should be available for about 7.5 lakhs OTR, making it another good deal once launched.

The Hexa also looks a much better deal financially than the 50,000 or so differences lower down the range that may not motivate as much; but a 5 lakh difference isn't to be lightly dismissed.

Perhaps even Tata doesn't realise this; else they would be marketing the hell out of this without falling into the cheap car trap of the Nano - so it needs to be cleverly done.

Last edited by Sawyer : 10th August 2017 at 14:55.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks