Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2017, 21:29   #616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I am ready to bet that the Hexa would be priced below the 12.30 Lac price tag. This price leak of 12.30 Lac is done to create a hype or to make the prospective buyers 'psyche' ready for the amount of Rs.12.00 Lac.

After that the price announcement of 10.99 Lac or 11.99 Lac will have a big shock-effect.

Let's wait and see !!!
Being a Tata fan i sincerely hope this is what they also think. Want them to be back with a bang, with back to back success launches. The success of this will pave a good launchpad for Nexon and Kite5. Else the buzz started with Tiago will fade and Tata might not have a good near future.
msk_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 21:34   #617
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Today went to Fortune Cars Thane and took TD for XT 4x2 Manual model

I own W8 FWD and have driven it extensively over last 3 years so my comparison was mainly with XUV and recently driven Crysta VX

Here are my few cents,

Positives:
1. Loved the faux leather feel on seats
2. Excellent ICE
3. Build Quality looks good
4. Stiff Suspension but managed to tackle potholes without much fuss

Negatives:
1. Distance between Arm-rest and Gear-Shifter is little extra for my liking making it little odd driving position
2. Odd placement of sunglass holder
3. Chiller storage is upfront in dash which un-reachable for single driver and would require help from passenger while on go
4. Hydro-assist Bonnet / Rare door will be difficult to close for small frame guys as well as ladies (Requires quite a Push)
5. TD car was already making rattle noise

Didn't feel much difference between driving modes but Sales Rep has promised another long TD once car is registered

Overall TD experience was good, Sales Rep was quite knowledgeable and seemed excited with new product, he too had his finger's crossed for pricing but stated XE will start at 12ish range to cater Fleet Management

I was quite sold on Crysta after the TD but pricing was pain area, After first TD for Hexa I am still not convinced over it.. Maybe another TD might change that but I don't feel XUV owner's will feel Hexa as upgrade but more of parallel move
viraj_s85 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 00:48   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Tata's confidence in its product can help only in confidently putting it through its paces (like in Hexa Experience), provide better maintenance package & so on, but with trust deficit, good product alone definitely cannot guarantee success.

HEXA with its good reviews has made the few fanboys happy & lots of fence sitters (who are happy with the product based on reviews, TD etc & not with overall experience from previous ownership or 'perceived' bad impression about TATA) to wait & watch. It is important for TATA to convince all the "fence sitters" and only way to do it with very attractive price at launch combined with solid maintenance package. Once the initial response is good, with good product and improved service, positive word of mouth will help in building trust and they can slowly and steadily keep increasing the prices.

In other words, as I have been repeating hereh, follow Tiago's pricing strategy.
Well said. Tata has extremely low 'desireability factor' in the market at the moment. Mention brand Tata, and the first few vehicles that subconsciously flash in our heads are the Nano, Indica (used extensively as cabs) and Sumo (yes, I remember my new-job days where this was the rickety yet trusty transport choice).

Tata first has to build the brand desirability factor for themselves - something that a Hyundai, Toyota and Honda (I think they still have it) do. And for that to happen, they need a couple of winners in their stable. They also have to include subtle references in their ads to learnings & applications from their JLR wing onto the Hexa or new vehicle projects.

Only then can they expect to command prices comparable to what a Creta, an Innova or a Fortuner do at the moment - all of which are grossly overpriced for what they offer.

And for someone spending 15+ big ones on a vehicle, all this would definitely have a higher weightage.

Let's hope sense prevails (I feel it will) and they price it extremely competitively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I am ready to bet that the Hexa would be priced below the 12.30 Lac price tag. This price leak of 12.30 Lac is done to create a hype or to make the prospective buyers 'psyche' ready for the amount of Rs.12.00 Lac.

After that the price announcement of 10.99 Lac or 11.99 Lac will have a big shock-effect.

Let's wait and see !!!
Haha, marketing 1-o-1. I agree.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 08:49   #619
Senior - BHPian

Took the Hexa XTA for a short spin yesterday. A few points.

The Ride
Started the drive on some really bad roads and the Hexa just tucked those away with ease. I was taken aback even though I had Viddy' 10/10 rating at the back of my mind. Nothing much is felt inside and you just wouldn't believe the Tata is riding on 19" low profile tyres. Even deep and sharp edged ruts are masked to a large extend. This is black magic by Tata and JLR

Drive-train
First thing you note is the NVH or the lack of any. To be fair the engine was running hot and there was traffic. But its good. There is noise when you give it the beans, but its a nice noise and not intruding. The cabin insulation is also top class.

And none of that humongous weight is felt when you push that engine. And the AT unit is also fast, definitely faster than the AT on the Crysta. Loved the race car mode. Just shift the stick to the left and the Hexa is ready to pounce. Closing gaps on roads is easy despite its bulk. It gets to a ton in no time. And it can stay there all day long, the Hexa feels stable despite the tall stance. Need a vehicle to roam the country? You don't need to look no further.

I didn't like the 'red man running' sign inside the instrument console when the car is in race car mode. It felt a bit gaudy. Tata should have stopped with the red accent lighting. Also, one wouldn't know the current gear unless you are in manual mode. I wasn't comfortable with that as well.

Handing
There is roll definitely. My colleague was driving and I was in the 3rd row and I felt it big time when he took a sharp 90 degree turn, but its not scary while driving. The steering was okay and I had fun piloting the car in rush hour traffic and also on some open bit of road. The steering is not sharp like that of the Endeavour, but its not a deal breaker. Overall, the Hexa is very predictable, feels safe and not boring.

Music System
It felt okay. Honestly, I was expecting more from its credentials. Bass was weak, but then we were in no mood to waste time on ICE and switched it off promptly.

Seating
Didn't like the art leather that much. The stitching is great and it looks wonderful but the material wasn't that comfortable. Moreover, I was wearing khaki trousers and there was a lot of friction.

The Hexa looks very classy and sporty on the inside. The first and second row felt great. Had space and great support. But under thigh support for the third row could have been better. I was expected it to be better based on pictures as I have a very short frame. No complaints with the support for head and upper body, but it is best suited for kids on long travels.

AC
AC is a real chiller and with vents on the B and C pillar, even the last row is very comfortable under hot sun. And its a very smooth sounding whoosh from the blower on higher fan speeds.

Sales
The sales guys looked confident and very happy. They were well informed too. There is a lot of interest and they were running from pillar to post ever since they got the demo car out of Lulu mall display for the test drives. A MT will also be joining shortly. They also hinted at a very aggressive launch price from Tata for a limited time, say less than 20 lakhs OTR kochi for the top variant. That is going to make a lot of people happy and some very sad.

And some random shots.

The vantage from second row.
Tata should have gone with frameless wipers given its very prominent resting position.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170110_153348395.jpg
Loved the extenders on the sun blind. Miss that on our Fiesta.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170110_153256149.jpg
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170110_153152104.jpg
Great window blinds. Works very well and feels good.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170110_153325406.jpg

The vantage from third row.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170110_153831642.jpg
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170110_153839617.jpg
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170110_153844698.jpg

And finally the machine itself.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170110_154107913.jpg

Overall, very impressed with the Hexa and I really wanted to drive it more.
deetjohn is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 10:06   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Imagine someone interested to lay his hands on a 4X4 MT in a place like Pune. The on-road price would come anywhere around 20 or might as well cross it. Now, come on, in this price, there are many options with an advantage of them being running on the road for last few years and trusted. If someone is that enthusiast, he/she can stretch a bit and add few more lakhs and go for an Endevour.

But nonetheless - I have no qualm in sticking my neck out and say; with this price I can see another Aria, albeit better in look & feel, in Hexa.
Hexa & endeavour isn't in the same league, Fortuner could also have been thrown for a good measure. The money people pay for a 2.2 trend is a joke for all the features offered. Endeavour had its share of niggles for a car costing over 30 big ones initially. This is now tapered off. Crysta still reports niggles with many ownership reports. No car is perfect, which however does not discount the reliability ask from TM. Aria was a very reliable car - did not sell is a different story. There are fence sitters who will always complain & we should give them their due privileges to have their share of limelight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
1: Neglected Safari and bought a Creta
Creta top end was bought for the features and not for safety. The owner reluctantly neglected the Safari because it is a Tata, it is very big, it has poor FE and it has no features.

2: Neglected Hexa and took delivery of XUV5OO W10
XUV was bought in 2017. On the name of Hexa, the person simply said "Tata nahi chahiye, XUV is a better car". This person had TDed the Hexa before going for XUV.
1. Creta/ Vitara/ EcoSport/ Safari cannot be compared just because they fall in the same price range. The engine specifications aren't the same. For better FE Ertiga also would have helped. Some people call it SUV too. There are even few who compare Lodgy with hexa - why not, every one is free to dart opinions.
2. Driveability of XUV/ Hexa isn't the same. Yes, there are few gizmos in XUV which Hexa does not have - even an after market fitment will not be a factory fit for Hexa

There are many in the forum including me who have owned over 3 models of TMs & no qualms about it.
m3_07 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 10:16   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The sales guys looked confident and very happy. They were well informed too. There is a lot of interest and they were running from pillar to post ever since they got the demo car out of Lulu mall display for the test drives. A MT will also be joining shortly. They also hinted at a very aggressive launch price from Tata for a limited time, say less than 20 lakhs OTR kochi for the top variant. That is going to make a lot of people happy and some very sad.
Good summary. I think the HEXA will do well in the Kerala market because I have noticed that Keralites buy more of the underdogs relatively speaking. In my multiple trips there, I have observed relatively more Chevys, Tatas, Mitsubishis and Fords. Also the average person's awareness of automobiles is much better in places like Kerala and Coimbatore ( in TN ). Such markets typically favor marginal players who have strong products because the buyer is not really operating in the "herd" mode.
narayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 11:19   #622
BHPian

It's been 3 days since I registered my interest for a test drive. I promptly got a call immediately from the "Hexa Executive". But yet to hear from the dealer. This has happened to me earlier as well when I wanted to check the Aria and then the Bolt.

Hope TM can get their dealers to do a better job.
Old 11th January 2017, 19:46   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
There is roll definitely. My colleague was driving and I was in the 3rd row and I felt it big time when he took a sharp 90 degree turn, but its not scary while driving. The steering was okay and I had fun piloting the car in rush hour traffic and also on some open bit of road. The steering is not sharp like that of the Endeavour, but its not a deal breaker. Overall, the Hexa is very predictable, feels safe and not boring.

Didn't like the art leather that much. The stitching is great and it looks wonderful but the material wasn't that comfortable. Moreover, I was wearing khaki trousers and there was a lot of friction.
Overall, very impressed with the Hexa and I really wanted to drive it more.
The car you own has got the best balanced chassis and steering this side of the 3-series. When you say Hexa has got body roll and steering is OK, I get that it would be good. How Fiesta's bucket seats hug you is something you just don't get even in an Octavia.
When you say you wanted to drive it more, that sums up it for me. It might not be a Ford, but the unmatchable ride and mature handling nature of the Hexa make it a better drive than the XUV. The later might have better acceleration but thats that. Features come second to somebody like me, I am gonna refer people to Tata Motors showrooms. Thumbs up TM.
itsashishsharma is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 20:33   #624
BHPian

As per AAJTAKhttp://aajtak.intoday.in/story/tata-...-1-906269.html report top end price leaked for HEXA is 19.43 lacs , not mentioned which model XTA or XT 4x4 . Starting price is 12.30 lacs as reported here also. I was expecting top end to be priced around 18.5 lacs giving enough margin from Innova Crysta .Surely I was planning to book XTA but if this pricing for XTA is correct at 19.43 lacs then will move to crysta for just purely reliability and after sales service .
Old 11th January 2017, 22:51   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
As per AAJTAKhttp://aajtak.intoday.in/story/tata-...-1-906269.html report top end price leaked for HEXA is 19.43 lacs , not mentioned which model XTA or XT 4x4 . Starting price is 12.30 lacs as reported here also. I was expecting top end to be priced around 18.5 lacs giving enough margin from Innova Crysta .Surely I was planning to book XTA but if this pricing for XTA is correct at 19.43 lacs then will move to crysta for just purely reliability and after sales service .
The news channels are at it again, trying to sensationalise news by adding in their own masala.

We all know that only the starting price was 'leaked'. This news snippet claims prices for all variants have been seen - what a lie.
Old 11th January 2017, 23:08   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a chance to test drive the Tata Hexa 2 wheel drive version.
Thanks to Bhpian Arindamxeta for inviting me, Distinguished Bhpian Blackpearl and Mr Rana Adhikary for the test drive. Team Bhp has already done an excellent review of this car. So i will just add what i liked and disliked-

What i liked-

The car is actually big but from the driving seat it do not give a feel of driving a big car.

The engine is smooth. In nutshell i liked the NVH level of the car. No diesel clatter can be heard inside the cabin.

The pick up is good. It touched 100 km/hr easily. We didn't get space to try above that.

The handling of this big car felt absolutely wonderful. I liked the handling more than the Ford Endeavor (New generation). Its comparable to the Isuzu V cross.

Under hard braking nose diving is very sorted out.

Very comfortable over bad roads.

The music system is excellent.

The controls are light. Clutch is very light, it gives a feel as if am driving a petrol sedan.

The Tata guys told the steering is EPS but in lower speed the weight of the steering gave a feel of an HPS.

The AC felt nice, though i cant comment much on that in winter!

What i didn't like much-

There was a little vibration on the gear lever.

At times i found it a bit tricky to slot the 5th. That may be my fault too, as am used to drive cars with 5 speed gear box. Specially i was having a problem shifting to 5th from 6th. Couple of times i shifted to 3rd by mistake. Rest of the time it was fine though.

I found the brake bite to be good, but felt the brake pedal to be a bit spongy. Bhpian Blackpearl told it may be because i took over the wheel after his spirited driving.

4WD is only available in the top trim.

The driver side arm rest was totally of no use!

Short people can find the gear lever a bit stretched out.

Few pics i took today-

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6307.jpg

The under body looked neat.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6308.jpg

The second row seating is supremely comfortable.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6309.jpg

The third row seats looked fine too for city drives or a bit extended city drive.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6310.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6311.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6312.jpg

Dead pedal sorely missing!

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6313.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6314.jpg

View from driving seat is commanding though its not like a Scorpio.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6315.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6316.jpg

Low profile tires and alloys looked great.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6318.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6319.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6320.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6322.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6321.jpg

A pic of the brochure.Price will be announced on 17th January according to the showroom guys.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_6356.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 11th January 2017 at 23:37.
Samba is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 06:16   #627
BHPian

Hold on guys. There are times in life, when you snooze you don't lose. And this is one of those instances. Because if I had just waited a few more months and saw the writing on the wall rather than buy the white elephant pictured here I would have been a much happier person.

And now, it does not take a lot to understand why I hate my Aria so much. It is unreliable? Not really. Is it a comfortable vehicle? Sure, except for the 3rd row seats, everybody likes the ride. Is it spacious, heck yes.

But there is this one tiny thing that I cant get out of my mind - At just 50k on the odo, it has less resale value than my SwiftVDI with 100k on it. And to be honest that sale did not go through either. Yes, the vehicle has NO resale value whatsoever, no one wants to buy it at least not in the part of the country where I am. I see another Aria may be once a month and that too because I can recognize it while 95% of car owners just don't.

So when you spend your hard earned money and see it evaporate in front of your eyes like anything in a short span, and when you realize that no one is willing to buy it there is a cold hard feeling in your stomach that is very difficult to get rid of. So before you jump at the prices and do all sort of comparisons with the XUVs of the world, here is my 20 cents. Just wait god damn it. Don't hurry and get a HEXA.

Because the way I see it, the price has no where to go but down. And do not tell me you have not been warned. And I know the questions that will come from some of the fan boys here - Does history have to repeat? What if HEXA sells like hot cakes and the waiting period is 6 months .....I can only laugh looking at the 'leaked' prices...miserably.

Oh by the way, here is the sweet part of owning the Aria. Pretty much every single person who engages in a conversation will ask you - Why didn't you buy the Innova? And there goes my sleep for the night and knowing that the resale value of a beat up 10 year old Innova with 300k on the odo is more than the shining white elephant.

So looks like I have to drive it for another 50k and just scrap the vehicle. great end to the story. Unless I take it to a local Tata dealer and exchange it for the Hexa...oh wait, am I stupid or what.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-idiot.jpg  

gb97ce6 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 08:08   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb97ce6 View Post
And now, it does not take a lot to understand why I hate my Aria so much. It is unreliable? Not really. Is it a comfortable vehicle? Sure, except for the 3rd row seats, everybody likes the ride. Is it spacious, heck yes.

But there is this one tiny thing that I cant get out of my mind - At just 50k on the odo, it has less resale value than my SwiftVDI with 100k on it. And to be honest that sale did not go through either. Yes, the vehicle has NO resale value whatsoever, no one wants to buy it at least not in the part of the country where I am.
If bad resale value is the only reason to hate your vehicle, yes you made a bad decision. Being a BHPian since 2013, you should have known that the resale value of the Aria was always going to be bad. You should have gone for the Innova.

People buy Tata cars knowing fully well that the resale value is going to be bad (at least most of the Tata car owners that I know). They buy them for other reasons such as road presence, or ride quality or space or simply because they want them.

I understand that it is difficult to live with a car you hate. If you cant afford to get rid of it straightaway, the only option for you is to learn to appreciate some of its better qualities.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 12th January 2017 at 08:09.
Enobarbus is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 08:34   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post

I understand that it is difficult to live with a car you hate. If you cant afford to get rid of it straightaway, the only option for you is to learn to appreciate some of its better qualities.
Strange but that message you just quoted has made me desperate to get hold of hexa and not wait at all! Hehe!
There are many kinds of people out there. I have a ZMR (older version) and am completely satisfied with it. And am even more happy cause there are so few of those on road. Not like the bullets or dukes!
Similarly for the Hexa as well.
But I definitely know that tata will price it well and it will sell much better than the aria atleast!
To each his own!
Ps: good point about appreciating the better qualities!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 08:34   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb97ce6 View Post

But there is this one tiny thing that I cant get out of my mind - At just 50k on the odo, it has less resale value than my SwiftVDI with 100k on it. And to be honest that sale did not go through either. Yes, the vehicle has NO resale value whatsoever, no one wants to buy it at least not in the part of the country where I am. I see another Aria may be once a month and that too because I can recognize it while 95% of car owners just don't.
Sorry to hear your stories, but you have only yourself to blame. If these things are bothering you so much, why did you buy it and not the Innova? Surely you had reasons to prefer it over others? And now finding there are other factors that bothers you.

In my opinion, it just looks like you got bored with the car but unable to find a good deal to sell it. Again, clearly a wrong choice if your intentions were not to keep it for a long time. Having said all that, Aria was ahead of its time in features and I am sure it is still worthy car to keep.

There are several people here who bought the Lineas and the Fiestas knowing well that they won't get a good resale price. I have driven my Linea for 1.35L Kms and intend to keep it for another 50K or so. That's what you should do too.
prakash_ajp is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks