Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2017, 10:04   #856
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaapps View Post
I was looking at comparison of specification of TATA HEXA with competition, one thing stands negative is its excess weight.
When will Tata learn to develop automobiles which are light, nimble to drive and more fuel efficient? Not a single automobile in its range that has above qualities.
I am not saying that they should build cars like Japanese or Korean counterpart but they need to look at competition and trim the excess weight
1,785 kg Mahindra XUV 500 is 495 KG Lighter than Tata HEXA
1,855 kg Toyota Innova Crysta is 425 KG Lighter than Tata HEXA
2,280 kg Tata HEXA
I agree that dimensions of TATA HEXA is bigger than competition but still excess weight is the issue they need to urgently looked at and worked upon. It seems HEXA is carrying 14 people instead of 7 of 60 kg each.
I own an ARIA Pure LX. it has logged 45K in 2 years 7 months
It has consistently given me a mileage of 10.5km in CBD areas of Bangalore and 13-14 on highway with full AC. Once i got 15.6 kmpl also.
What were the mileage figures of Innova/XUV in similar conditions?
My brother-in-law Innova with much less weight never gave more than 9 kmpl in city and 12 kmpl on highway.
I do not know about XUV mileage figures.

My experience with TATA cars( Vista and now ARIA) , their mileage is good even though they are heavier than competition.
rkg is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:08   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Updated the VFM (Value For Money) chart.

- Taking the Hexa XE as the base, and it's options in the market.
- Replaced the Nissan Terrano with the Mahindra Scorpio, since the prices of the Terrano are close to the Duster anyway.
- Colour-coded the pricing of model variants across different brands, within a particular price range, for a better idea of all cars within the same price band (say, within 50K of each other).
- Automatic variants are in BOLD/Italics.
- All prices, ex-showroom Delhi, and have been taken from the respective official websites.
- Some XUV500 variants' prices have been taken from ex-showroom Gurgaon, since they are not available in the Delhi price list. Negligible difference between both places.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-untitled.jpg
(Click on the chart to *OPEN* in a NEW window)

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th January 2017 at 10:11.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:18   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Coming to Innova, the GX AT doesn't stand a chance if there is a comparison with the Hexa. Some may not even compare and just save up for the Innova. So, this doesn't matter for them. Ditto for others who are convinced about the 2.8 ZX AT.
We own a GX AT Crysta in the family.
After experiencing the Hexa, I can say this with utmost confidence: if given a chance would pick up the Hexa XTA without any hesitation. The difference in the quality of the interiors is stark (IMO, quality of interiors is a huge and oft understated factor). An AT anyway reduces your involvement with many other factors.

If someone can afford to go all the way to ZX AT, then good for them. Around the 17L odd price point though, the Hexa makes a lot of sense. And frankly, one shouldn't be cribbing about a 30-40K odd price gap or a little lower FE at such price points.
avisidhu is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:25   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
When you say 'reveal' what really are you expecting Tata to say? ...heavier than all of its competitors but in some way I was happy about it. I am sure the extra weight, even though will affect the fuel consumption, is justified and certainly not due to some bricks hidden in the engine bay...
Thats blind faith. I'm not sure I want to credit Tata with my blind faith. All I want Tata to tell is, if they have any safety features that justify the weight. Any cross-beams, etc. An unnecessarily heavier floorboard or chassis, might be making the car heavier, I would like to know for sure of purpose will that serve. Simple.

Quote:
Anyway, coming to the comparison with XUV, there are some people who want their cars to look classy unlike the over-worked XUV. Honestly sometimes I feel like puking looking at XUV's front grill design and the whiskers!
Looks are subjective. In the future, you may grow the same feelings for Hexa. You'll be entitled to your opinion, but it might be of much less relevance in general. Soft-touch plastics are, in general, considered to feel better, hence my opinion about large amounts of hard plastics.

Quote:
...And if you are really in the market (and not lobbying in an internet forum),
I spoke only on the product, made no personal attack on members.
If you want to crush dissent thats based on facts about the product, and still give it credit, I couldn't care, its your money - do what you like.

Quote:
one can't miss the huge boot space you get in Hexa even after seating 7 people. If you put this and sunroof and push button start in front of a prospective buyer, I see him going for the extra space every single time...
Then can one ignore the excessive weight ? List out the additional features that XUV provides, its more than a sunroof & push button. Not just the additional features, but also features that are properly created around the product, like a music system thats properly placed with sufficiently large screen. Like a simple properly designed arm-rest. Like a proper place to keep a mobile phone when one enters the car. Like, decent driver ergonomics.

Quote:
unless he lets his kid choose the car for him
You'll be surprised how many buyers consider their family's feelings when they buy cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I own an ARIA Pure LX. it has logged 45K in 2 years 7 months...
I do not know about XUV mileage figures....
Thats good to know. There are a few ownership reports here on Team-BHP that show regular updates on XUV's mileage & service experiences.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 19th January 2017 at 10:30.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:26   #860
BHPian

How I wonder!

There was a time when TATA motors were as much revered in India as mercedes. Sierra, Sumo, Safari - they pretty much owned the lifestyle segment, they were the original big bad boys. Barring safari, none of the products (and tata itself) retained their mojo, somewhere after they launched the Indica. Their passenger vehicles have been good, but not the most sought after, relying only on lower price and bigger interior space.

Tiago is the real shift (Bolt and zest, though extremely good cars, do not have any "pull"), and then this Hexa.

I personally have no apprehensions for Tata (and for that matter Mahindra too), and no particular liking to "brand image" of the likes of Toyota (those who gave us ugly and cheap looking etios). I like Big, butch cars if I am to spend 15+ lakhs. innova is a taxi for me, a people mover (though a luxury one). The exterior design itself doesn't make a cut for me. I would rather buy fortuner in near about the same price.

XUV is a good one, no doubt about that. Deciding between a hexa and xuv is a tough one, both are even - steven. Till the XUV facelift comes, Hexa might just win on the basis of newness. And i really loved the traditional SUV styling of Hexa, butch without being brash.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:29   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
11. What I would do signing off, is appreciate Tata for developing a well packaged car and making a whole hearted, honest attempt at that. Hexa, may not break sales records and turn the tide for Tata overnight. But it definitely ruffles some feathers across segments and takes the fight to the door of the bigger T. There's no denying that. It may not win the bout (I hope it does), but as an indian car enthusiast I'm happy that it churns the scene and creates exciting possibilities. Maybe, in the near utopian future, bigger names, won’t take me for granted, just because they are bigger names, and stuff down overpriced cars@30lacs, just for lack of challenge from the home boys. The Hexa is here and Its one of those things: You can love it or You can hate it.But You can't ignore it.
Wonderful write up sir!

These last lines are bang on and about time that the Tata brand perception has to take back seat and the product has to be viewed on it's merit.
teemus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:36   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I own an ARIA Pure LX. it has logged 45K in 2 years 7 months
It has consistently given me a mileage of 10.5km in CBD areas of Bangalore and 13-14 on highway with full AC. Once i got 15.6 kmpl also..
Inputs from Another Aria owner:

+1
I have somewhat Identical figures for Aria - Pride in Pune. Driving around Wakad to Hinjewadi or Yerwada.
Recent 1700+ KM round trip to Mandsaur (MP) from Pune, gave me around 15.3 KMPL with full AC & 6 Adult Passengers. Trust me I finished this trip in 11 Hrs straight when heading towards Mandsaur. So, one can only imagine how rough I had to be on the Engine & then the elephant returned 15+. (Had some emergency, hence the urgency. I am not a fast driver).

With better technologies introduced in Hexa, should definitely return the same (if not better) figures.

Well Honestly (My personal opinion) FE from ARAI figures don't excite me much.
These figures for Safari are 10 & 14 (I guess). My friend's Safari gives 12-13 in City & I have seen the car giving 16.5 on Highway.
His is a BS3 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The Hexa is here and Its one of those things: You can love it or You can hate it.But You can't ignore it.
Spot on. Cannot agree more.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 19th January 2017 at 11:06.
saurabh2711 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:45   #863
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Test drove it last week. Ride was good, but power didn't feel any better than my Linea MJD at all, due to its sheer weight. Body roll was not there, but then I was not able to put the car through higher paces while in traffic.
The ride, as substantiated by multiple isn't just good, it is awesome. However, since you are comparing to a Linea, which is a great riding car in itself, you may not have felt the difference.

The Hexa is not meant to, and will not win any traffic light drag races. It is not designed to.

It is good that you were able to appreciate the minimal body roll. A few big brand auto reviewers continue to complain.

Quote:
Sorry, wasn't as bowled over by the interiors - felt there were quite a few hard plastics to describe it in the superlative way that many here have.
They are the best in its segment in terms of their quality and finish. However, individual tastes will differ.

Quote:
There's not even a mobile phone holder the moment one steps inside, where's the intuitiveness in that ?
I'm yet to see a dedicated mobile holder amongst a lot of vehicles. The centre cup holder and/or the recess above the glove box can be used. However, storage in the centre console could have been better designed.
Quote:
Just why couldn't they get driver arm rest right ?
What is wrong in it?
Quote:
Why provide a teeny - tiny 5" screen in a massive MUV ?
Bigger screens come at a cost, and a lot of consumers do not like a big, lit up screen when they drive at night.
Quote:
The newly designed captain seats don't even tumble down. The same old Aria bench seats too foul at the same old place in the mid - console.
This is clearly an oversight and should have been rectified.
Quote:
IMPO The Harman system doesn't sound amazing asif something exclusive, it's abit better than what others offer.
It is quite a few levels above the competition and that seals the deal in its favour.
Quote:
XUV has a much more punchy engine response, many features and even ergonomics seem better.
The XUV is the faster car amongst the two but ergonomically, they are both equally competent. What faults did you find with the Hexa's ergonomics?
Quote:
With Hexa, there's a compromise at every stage. They don't have the first mover advantage to help this model succeed in the market (compared to both, Crysta as well as XUV). EoD, the brand is definitely going to command a poorer resale due to fewer copies being sold. So, if one is paying lesser, there do exist very substantial reasons.
The Hexa is a vehicle which has been developed using the Aria's platform. However, that doesnt make it a compromise. All vehicles are compromises in one way or the other.

The interior quality and the sublime ride are what set it apart from its competition, not the first mover advantage. The pricing too is intelligent.

Resale and long term reliability are yet to be proven in the market so no point in commenting about them at this stage.

The Hexa is in no way "substantially" inferior to its competition. In fact, there are a a lot of areas where is is decidedly superior. Most touch and feel points are premium, the AT has a great gearbox, is very spacious and rides like a dream.

Is it the best car in the world? No car is.
n.devdath is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:50   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent variant-wise features comparo between the Hexa, the XUV500 and the Innova Crysta, made by CarDekho.

Ideally, they should have compared the Hexa XT variants with the XUV500's W8 variants, and the Innova Crysta's VX variants.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-standardfeatures1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tatahexaxecomparison1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tatahexaxm_xmacomparison1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tatahexaxt_xta_xt4x4comparison1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:51   #865
BHPian

Quote:
When you say 'reveal' what really are you expecting Tata to say?
I see him going for the extra space every single time unless he lets his kid choose the car for him
Whoa! That's a bit too strong!!
We are all, to varying extents, 'fond' of the product and would like to see it do very well considering it's a homegrown company. We are just pointing out certain irrefutable facts which could've been ironed out.
Quote:
I am sure the extra weight, even though will affect the fuel consumption, is justified and certainly not due to some bricks hidden in the engine bay
Weight is a vital part of the performance matrix and is a trade off. In a 'kitna deti hai' market, you don't build a tank and ignore mileage, not when you are trying to re-establish yourself in a market.
Quote:
there are some people who want their cars to look classy unlike the over-worked XUV. Honestly sometimes I feel like puking looking at XUV's front grill design and the whiskers!
Looks are in the eyes of the beholder. Whiskers of the xuv? The new one has done away with it. IMHO, I don't like the side-on view of the hexa or the rear view of the Xuv but these are subjective and personal. Btw, are u suggesting that anyone who likes the Xuv doesn't like classy? As they say to each his own.
Quote:
And if you are really in the market (and not lobbying in an internet forum), one can't miss the huge boot space you get in Hexa even after seating 7 people. If you put this and sunroof and push button start in front of a prospective buyer, I see him going for the extra space every single time unless he lets his kid choose the car for him
I am in the market, was keenly awaiting this launch, am yet to decide between the two for a variety of reasons. (Btw- boot space of the hexa is definitely not huge). Features wise, xt is no better than w8 but demands a significant premium. Yes, much better plastics but scrimping on features, quite a few of them in fact. The sunroof for instance, in my case, is a very useful feature especially in highway travels as my kids are motion sick and an open roof alleviates the feeling. Therefore, not only my kid, but me too, would select a car with a sun roof over boot space which may/ may not be used.
Just my 2 cents to illustrate that generalisations and sweeping statements don't do any good.
handsofsteel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 10:55   #866
BHPian

Just to sum up, IMO the cars in question stand out in a few departments and that would become the basis for either predominantly liking or giving it a miss by the Customers.

Hexa:
Ride & Handling, Seating & space inside

XUV:
Responsive engine, gadgetry/cosmetics (both external and internal)

Crysta:
Brand value and reliability

All other points of comparison seem to be subjective to individuals.
anthiltg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 11:01   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Looks are subjective. In the future, you may grow the same feelings for Hexa. You'll be entitled to your opinion, but it might be of much less relevance in general. Soft-touch plastics are, in general, considered to feel better, hence my opinion about large amounts of hard plastics.
My quote for your post was only about your question about weight. The comment about the comparison had nothing to do with your posts. Sorry if it appeared that way.

Quote:
Then can one ignore the excessive weight ? List out the additional features that XUV provides, its more than a sunroof & push button. Not just the additional features, but also features that are properly created around the product, like a music system thats properly placed with sufficiently large screen. Like a simple properly designed arm-rest. Like a proper place to keep a mobile phone when one enters the car. Like, decent driver ergonomics.
A normal car buyer doesn't dwell much on these specifications. They usually go by how the car looks, feels and drives and then comparison of features. From the TBHP's review, I see nothing that the difference is 'obvious' in the way it drives.

Quote:
You'll be surprised how many buyers consider their family's feelings when they buy cars.
I have seen a few people doing that, but I am not one of them. There are also enough people here in this forum who think that they are the right ones to make the decision when it comes to cars.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 11:56   #868

Read through the whole thread. Great Review.

Interesting to see reactions of people after the pricing announcement.
May be people were expecting they would get HEXA top end under 15 lakhs.
And guess what , they would have still complained that it does not have heated seats ?

It is very easy to comment just anything and everything from your phone or laptop.
Obviously, this is part of the feedback/opinion which the readers demand from us.
But I guess we need to be more logical and a bit more practical in our views.

Check any TATA motors vehicle thread, you would find all kinds of sarcasm. Indeed there are more positive reviews than the the negative. The point is that most of the negative comments are not constructive , they are not logical, they help neither the prospective buyer nor the company nor the reader for any kind of improvements :

1. Why would one buy a TATA by spending 15+ lakhs.
2. The Toyotas/Hyundais etc are any day a better car .
3. TATA after sales are not customer centric.
4. All they can do is produce truck sounding taxis.

etc etc.

Well, the above was true , at least partially, but that was YEARS ago.
Check what they have done in last 3-4 years. If you are a true enthusiast or atleast a decent observer, you would vouch to disagree on any of the above points.

I don't want to sound dramatic here, but I think in India people provide their EXPERT opinions just on the FLY without any background or observations.

Coming back to the topic..
I was at the HEXA event where I did test drove one- for a short distance of 3-4 kms.
Apart from the gear box which felt rubbery to me , there was no problems at all.
The handling, comfort is the best in the segment and I believe the features as well.

The pricing is apt. It is unfair to expect TATA to do a Tiago with every launch.

Last edited by Roadilicious : 19th January 2017 at 11:58.
Roadilicious is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 12:10   #869
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats good to know. There are a few ownership reports here on Team-BHP that show regular updates on XUV's mileage & service experiences.
If you don't mind, will you please post links to these reports with XUV mileage.
Old 19th January 2017, 12:16   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
How I wonder!

I personally have no apprehensions for Tata (and for that matter Mahindra too), and no particular liking to "brand image" of the likes of Toyota (those who gave us ugly and cheap looking etios). I like Big, butch cars if I am to spend 15+ lakhs. innova is a taxi for me, a people mover (though a luxury one). The exterior design itself doesn't make a cut for me. I would rather buy fortuner in near about the same price.
True, Innova is the best taxi and Crysta is a luxurious taxi.

For me Crysta and Hexa are much more comparable in terms of design where Hexa wins if one is looking for more SUV'ish look and the big price difference they have. Prospective buyers looking for people mover should actually decide between Hexa and Crysta.

Coming to Hexa vs XUV considering the design XUV has more SUV'ish look than Hexa but at the same time it is not a proper SUV either. Selecting between Hexa and XUV is much easier process as Hexa already have an edge over XUV in many departments plus Toyota badge factor doesn't come into play here.

I am following this post sincerely and my conclusion is Hexa's biggest rival is TATA not XUV/Crysta as most of the members are against Tata not Hexa.
roby_dk is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks