Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2017, 15:20   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In this segment, the XUV500 & Hexa are both well-priced. If you ask me for my opinion, it's the following three cars that are overpriced:

- Scorpio
- Creta
- Safari Storme

The XUV500 & Hexa are actually offering more value-for-money than most of their immediate competitors.
Bang on! XUV and Hexa are best value for money products right now and one should go for either of them based on personal preference. I do not understand what do 4X2 versions of Scorpio and Safari/Storme offer that is better than XUV or Hexa.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 15:23   #887
KMT
BHPian

Looking at the excruciatingly low resale value of used TATA vehicles, I guess only those who can claim depreciation against tax will buy the Hexa.
21L big ones for a Tata makes me gag.
KMT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 15:25   #888
BHPian

I feel that Tata has got the pricing bang on. Having said that, they could have perhaps undercut the XUV by 3% or so as a truly introductory price. That way, they would have gotten another selling / marketing point. XUV is brilliantly priced - moreso as pointed out above on the cost of the Scorpio / Creta.

Suddenly the Crysta looks overpriced and with niggles being reported, the question is still out there on the longevity of the car vis-a-vis its predecessor.

I would be in the market for a car from this segment, i.e. a 6-7 seater people mover, around Diwali. If initial reports come positive, the Tata could most probably find a place in my garage.

Overall, well done Tata. Good to see aggressiveness and hope to see the Nexon / Kite launched soon. With a fresh portfolio, Tata could consolidate 3rd place in the industry.
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 15:25   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
If you can sacrifice the AWD, then why not the 4x2 XT variant?

It has the safety net of 6 Airbags and apart from the additional features you have mentioned, the XT has the 19" wheels as well.

Since the XT 4x4 is 22 lakhs OTR Bangalore, the XT 4x2 should be very well within your initial budget of 21 lakhs.
Yes, it pinches a little to give away 20+ big ones for an SUV without AWD . Moreover, I was looking at the differences, there are the wheels of course, then the absence of roof rails and fog lamps and DRL on the XM, the looks are going to be pretty bland. Oc course, safety is a big point that has got me thinking. XT4X2, maybe then!
Old 19th January 2017, 16:44   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Bang on! XUV and Hexa are best value for money products right now and one should go for either of them based on personal preference. I do not understand what do 4X2 versions of Scorpio and Safari/Storme offer that is better than XUV or Hexa.
I guess there are several factors why Scorpio and Safari/Storme prices has been increased:
- Introduction of MPV's and mini SUV's like Ertiga,Mobilio,Creta,Duster etc. provided enough room to jump to higher price.
- Inflation can be termed as the second reason.

I feel both Scorpio and Safari/Storme are ready for complete make over to justify the current price tag vs Hexa.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 16:46   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Yes, it pinches a little to give away 20+ big ones for an SUV without AWD . Moreover, I was looking at the differences, there are the wheels of course, then the absence of roof rails and fog lamps and DRL on the XM, the looks are going to be pretty bland. Oc course, safety is a big point that has got me thinking. XT4X2, maybe then!
I think you should have a look at the XMA. From reviews the manual transmission is a pain and coupled with the low assistance hydraulic steering would make it a handful in traffic. The automatic gearbox has favorable reviews all round and would be the thing to go for. The alloys and the ICE can be upgraded at a later date.
Old 19th January 2017, 17:01   #892
BHPian

Re: Hexa: Limited Slip differentials at both axles or not? ESP & LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Pertinent questions, Avinash!

In case of the 4x2 models, irrespective of ESP or not, LSD on front axle shouldn't be there as Hexa is RWD. Therefore, the front wheels should be on freewheeling hubs without any differential as there is no drive to the front axle. I think the information regarding LSD on front differential might be incorrect.

This is what I also expect in the Hexa. LSD on the front axle would have been incorrectly quoted. This also means the physical 4x4 hardware is the same between both Aria & Hexa (and it makes sense to retain it also). As I remember, the Torque-On-Demand system on the Aria is essentially a transfer case with electromagnetic clutch packs inside capable of transferring a certain amount of torque to the front axle as required, and not having a locked 4x4 operation mode like Safari/Storme. The new drive modes in combination with improved algorithms / communication between the control modules should be doing a better job of using the previous hardware itself.
Old 19th January 2017, 18:08   #893
Distinguished - BHPian

XE- 11.99L
XM- 13.85L
XMA- 15.05L
XT- 16.20L
XTA- 17.4L
XT 4X4- 17.49L

Thats the variant wise breakup for ex-showroom Delhi. I would say the Hexa's priced well keeping the XUV 500 in mind but can't comment on the sales due to brand equity.

Potential customers would want to wait for a year or two for Tata to sort out the niggles which will naturally exist on a brand new Tata.

Last edited by vishy76 : 19th January 2017 at 18:17.
Old 19th January 2017, 19:54   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I think you should have a look at the XMA. From reviews the manual transmission is a pain and coupled with the low assistance hydraulic steering would make it a handful in traffic. The automatic gearbox has favorable reviews all round and would be the thing to go for. The alloys and the ICE can be upgraded at a later date.
+1 to this suggestion. I sat in a display vehicle at Phoenix market city couple of weeks back and the gear stick was a stretch from my seating position. If I were to drive this in bumper to bumper traffic, I was thinking this would be a big pain. Automatic would be much better since you don't have to use the stick that much.
Old 19th January 2017, 20:04   #895
BHPian

A detailed comparison test (and scoring) between Hexa and Crysta from Carwale.
https://www.carwale.com/expert-revie...-innova-26672/

I also checked with the Concorde Motors rep, he said 4 new bookings in Chandanagar Branch (HYD) yesterday and 0 cancellations. At least, according to him the response has been good since yesterday's launch (but I didn't expect him to say otherwise either). :-)

Last edited by anthiltg : 19th January 2017 at 20:07. Reason: Added some additional info on bookings.
Old 19th January 2017, 20:25   #896
BHPian

& I just got bored with the MUV Front Look of the HEXA.,

Pic courtesy: CarandBike.com
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-dsc001.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 21:43   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleo4 View Post
& I just got bored with the MUV Front Look of the HEXA.,

Pic courtesy: CarandBike.com
Hexa is smiling with teeth open
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 23:13   #898
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Scorpio: The S10 4x4 costs over 17 lakhs on the road in Mumbai, while the AT goes to 18.50 lakhs . That kind of money for a 16 year old body style & cramped interiors is simply too much money.

- Safari Storme: A workhorse even more antique than the Scorpio. Between it & the Hexa, the price difference in the entry variant is merely 1 lakh. The same between the top variant is ~2 lakhs. You'd have to be a real Safari fan to buy one right now over the Hexa which is so much superior in nearly every way.
Both the vehicles are the only options for someone wanting a proper BOF SUV that looks like an SUV having 4WD low range and 5/7seats with good touring ability.

Are they overpriced? Definitely.

But are there other options in that price bracket? Unfortunately no. That is why they sell.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 23:30   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Sorry, wasn't as bowled over by the interiors - felt there were quite a few hard plastics to describe it in the superlative way that many here have.
Quite a few hard plastics is okay if they're in the right places inside the vehicle. Its not like anyone is going to rub their knuckles or elbows on dashboard or side doors everyday just to enjoy the premium soft touch plastic the vehicle may be equipped with. I have soft touch plastic on my car's dashboard, i don't cajole or celebrate it everyday.

Quote:
There's not even a mobile phone holder the moment one steps inside, where's the intuitiveness in that?
I am not sure there are many cars that come with a mobile phone holder, have only seen the Datsun Go to be equipped with one. Never checked the premium brand cars, maybe they do. Collective industry lack of intuitiveness or specifically for the HEXA?

Quote:
Just why couldn't they get driver arm rest right?
That's a big flaw. Engineering/design could have done something to overcome the limitation caused by the handbrake lever's position, yes.

Quote:
Why provide a teeny - tiny 5" screen in a massive MUV?
This seems like nitpicking and only because XUV has a bigger one? It's small-er but not difficult to use nor useless. Personally, the quality of music may scores higher than the size of the screen for me and I'm sure I'm not the only individual with such a priority..

Quote:
IMPO The Harman system doesn't sound amazing asif something exclusive, it's abit better than what others offer.
It's a very good system and one that's tuned well. Crank up the volume to maximum and check if the audio quality starts cracking. I doubt anyone said anything about exclusivity, sorry if I'd missed that.

Quote:
At the cost of customer money and peace of mind? Why? I mean are we here to prep these brands?
Have you even checked the XUV niggles thread? Do take a look before trying to rescind Tata's opportunities for improving their vehicles. Ask the Customers of XUV who've owned it since day of launch, how much peace of mind they enjoyed. Kind of biased and closed view? It's cool if you think HEXA shouldn't succeed. No one is going to take offence at it.

Quote:
C'mon it's not so very very great. I felt the plastics are same as used in the Zest, and while they're not bad at all, it's really not something out of the world.
Haven't checked out the Zest in detail but I find the plastics of HEXA much worthy of the segment and of way better quality than the crudeness called plastics inside the XUV (a vehicle I've had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with over months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post

Enter the cabin and the seats catch my eye and my back.! Wonderfully wrapped with stitch detailing, beefy plush seats. Nothing carved out, scopped in, to make some leg room in the vicinity. Just no nonsense, fat seats.Like that!

5. Total 10 JBL speakers, well tuned, gave my audiophile colleague, a wide happy grin. Also there’s the whole list of safety and features list that increase my happiness index.(widely discussed in this thread already )

6. Dashboard and layout looks like tata, went to private school and has done its homework.This is as premium as a Tata gets.Super thumbs up.This build quality and luxe alone trumps the bargain.One has to sit in the cabin to ‘feel’ this air of candid exuberance. There are plastic bits that are still buzzkill and remind you that you are sitting in a Tata, but overall makes it stand among the privilege queue.

7. Test-drove the ‘hexa’—seater Hexa with captain seats, Third row seating is good, two adults can sit comfortably, even if they don’t know yoga.Middle captains hug and cajol the passengers.The clutch on the manual needs special mention! Wonderful upgrade from the harder clutch on my storme. The hexa drives well and tackles rough roads without drama.
Caught them right, sir! The seats are extremely well done. Like you said, no deep carving or contouring for space or material saving, they're just supremely comfortable and of good quality too. Ditto with the audio system experience. An ICE that won't require any change for the majority of the customers. No audio quality cracking even at the maximum volume.

Quote:
Well, yes, I honestly believe the pricing is just about right, give and take a few thousands. I would have obviously loved a few more thousands or why not maybe a lac lower?, but that’s just my greed talking. At where it is priced, it packs,in my opinion, a full satisfactory package.
You've hit the nail on the head. Somehow we'll gladly dump lakhs into the hands of Japanese, Korean or German manufacturers but when our own Indian manufacturer tries to come up with a premium product for us, with genuine effort, greed takes over and we want a 20L vehicle at 12L price for their not so glorious past that could have robbed us of way more money for a trouble free car.

Quote:
What I would do signing off, is appreciate Tata for developing a well packaged car and making a whole hearted, honest attempt at that. Hexa, may not break sales records and turn the tide for Tata overnight. But it definitely ruffles some feathers across segments and takes the fight to the door of the bigger T. ............ but as an indian car enthusiast I'm happy that it churns the scene and creates exciting possibilities. Maybe, in the near utopian future, bigger names, won’t take me for granted, just because they are bigger names, and stuff down overpriced cars@30lacs, just for lack of challenge from the home boys. The Hexa is here and Its one of those things: You can love it or You can hate it.But You can't ignore it.
Some very good statements made there. I guess most of us know in spite of being a capable product, it may not turn Tata's situation in the market or fortunes, overnight. I think we're well aware of that. But products such as these does bring enthusiasm and creates possibilities in the marketplace that benefits the buyers. Who wouldn't love supporting a home brand than be taken for granted by bigger named brands? Perhaps, except for a select populace..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post

Soft-touch plastics are, in general, considered to feel better, hence my opinion about large amounts of hard plastics.
Who's feeling the plastics everyday anyway? At least we look at them more often than we feel them. Even with soft plastics, the execution needs to be well done. Else it will not look or feel any better.

Quote:
Then can one ignore the excessive weight? List out the additional features that XUV provides, its more than a sunroof & push button. Not just the additional features, but also features that are properly created around the product, like a music system thats properly placed with sufficiently large screen. Like a simple properly designed arm-rest. Like a proper place to keep a mobile phone when one enters the car. Like, decent driver ergonomics.
Like some people like features more, some like quality ride and handling and rate them higher. A sufficiently large screen maybe an interesting draw for someone whereas high quality audio music a draw for someone else. Etc Etc.. These choices are more personal and cannot make one product better or poorer compared to another product.

Quote:
You'll be surprised how many buyers consider their family's feelings when they buy cars.
No surprises though on how many of the features actually get utilised often and how many don't. In general.
k_ajay is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 23:39   #900
BHPian

Some pics from the top automatic variant test drive !
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_3915.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_3914.jpg  

vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks