Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 17:16   #811
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Here is the exact VFM (Value For Money) chart, comparing the Hexa pricing with it's peers from the segment and a segment below:

Attachment 1596779

All prices, ex-showroom Delhi.

Cut-off at 11 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi. Some lower-priced variants of a few cars have been excluded from the chart accordingly.

I think the Base variant of Hexa (XE) is sufficiently loaded and does not feel like a sticker-price Base variant. For someone on a tighter budget can still consider XE and does not feel seriously short-changed in any way; which perhaps is the case with the Crysta G variant.

It sure does come with dual airbags, tilt steering, cooled glovebox, ABS with EBD, 8 way adjustable driver seat, projector headlamps, all power windows, rear ac vents, sunblinds, center armrests etc. This in itself is a competent product though in a lower state of tune for the engine. Perhaps bigger families which need a bigger vehicle can consider this for an upgrade over Ertiga. The sticker price is not too bad for this sufficiently loaded variant.

The pricing seems quite fair IMHO and there definitely are upgrades between variants justifying the hikes. It will surely cause a ripple.

Edit: Moreover, variant to variant comparison with XUV is very difficult as there is a case of you win some and you lose some in case of features. It will boil down to what a particular individual's priorities in the car that he is seeking.

Last edited by teemus : 18th January 2017 at 17:24. Reason: typos & added text
teemus is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 17:35   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post

I think the Base variant of Hexa (XE) is sufficiently loaded and does not feel like a sticker-price Base variant.

It sure does come with dual airbags, tilt steering, cooled glovebox, ABS with EBD, 8 way adjustable driver seat, projector headlamps, all power windows, rear ac vents, sunblinds, center armrests etc.

Edit: Moreover, variant to variant comparison with XUV is very difficult as there is a case of you win some and you lose some in case of features.
The base variant of XUV 500 has all these features except the sun blinds. And not to forget it has a 6 speed gearbox in comparison to 5 speed gearbox of Hexa. It has better performance too due to less weight. However I agree it boils down to personal preferences, but Tata has a lot of work to do in building a reputation.
Old 18th January 2017, 17:54   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Characteristics of the Varicor 400 engine. TATA has focused more on day-to-day driveability rather than outright acceleration which is very helpful in our city traffic conditions.

Even Storme VX400 customers are in all praises due to the "automatic-like" third gear.
Old 18th January 2017, 17:55   #814
BHPian

Quote:
The base variant of XUV 500 has all these features except the sun blinds. And not to forget it has a 6 speed gearbox in comparison to 5 speed gearbox of Hexa. It has better performance too due to less weight. However I agree it boils down to personal preferences, but Tata has a lot of work to do in building a reputation.
Yes, but not to forget W4 lacks an infotainment system (much like Crysta G) and also lacks steering mounted controls. That's what I said, it's a win some lose some situation.

But someone who might consider it for an upgrade to Ertiga, 5 speed gearbox and lower state of tune of engine might take a back seat, no? The preference might be for a bigger vehicle, comfortable 7 seater and good ride quality. There are many ways that we can look at it, it's a mix and match for preferences.
teemus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 18:03   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemus View Post
Yes, but not to forget W4 lacks an infotainment system (much like Crysta G) and also lacks steering mounted controls. That's what I said, it's a win some lose some situation.
W4 has a proper infotainment system, though not a touch screen one, just like hexa. Please refer to the post having official brochures. Link

Quote:
But someone who might consider it for an upgrade to Ertiga, 5 speed gearbox and lower state of tune of engine might take a back seat, no? The preference might be for a bigger vehicle, comfortable 7 seater and good ride quality.
The same ertiga buyer will also consider XUV as well, as they are similarly priced. A buyer will make comparison of all the features, price, negatives and positives. Like I said and agreed to your point it also depends upon preferences as well. Refinement, luxury, ride quality - Hexa. VFM, more features, better performance - XUV.
Old 18th January 2017, 18:12   #816
A M
BHPian

I think it is a good starting price but the difference of kit between the XM and XT variants does not justify the difference of 2.2 lakhs in their pricing. I think the XT could be priced around 50,000/- cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

- Hexa is the successor of a failed Aria and despite the new looks, it is still a MUV.
I think this is not an appropriate statement. If you think technically, then even XUV is not an SUV either. Its a FWD monocoque chassis. Essentially, a crossover.
And to say that Hexa will fail because it is a successor of Aria is also something that points to a bias. Drawing parallels, it is like saying that the kid can never be a batsman because he got out at zero in his first match.
A M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 18:13   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the performance stats, where XUV is significantly quicker in 0-100 kmph dash while Hexa has better in gear acceleration figures, it appears that Hexa has got relatively shorter gearing. If it is true, XUV may have an edge in the FE department as well.
Old 18th January 2017, 18:18   #818
BHPian

As has been mentioned earlier as well, it’s a matter of perspective.

Personally, I think all Tata had to do was match Hexa pricing with XUV, for Hexa already feels like a much better-engineered car than XUV.

Hexa XTA would have been a really sweet deal if not for the lack of additional safety features when compared to XT. I wonder why the omission, though.
IN07KL0484 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 18:18   #819
Distinguished - BHPian

I think while discussing XUV & Hexa head on, we are talking purely on the features perspective (and that gives a lot of advantage at the shortlisting phase), what we may not be taking into account is the interior quality. I think that alone gives Hexa a bit more weightage even if it gets some less features (and that comes into play when someone "feel" the car).

Personally, I'd have liked TATA to launch at a 50K lesser than the current price. XUV is all set to launch a minor facelift with the intelli-hybrid feature and my take is, they are going to do a price cut because of the tax savings the new variant may get. Mahindra wouldn't want TATA to be in the limelight at any cost.

TATA could have absorbed a bit of cost on the initial batch for 2 weeks and then hiked the prices by 50K to the current levels. While this may be a good price for the vehicle, hope TATA doesn't suffer from the previous baggage too. The Tiago customers wouldn't be as snobbish as a 15L customer.

And yeah, hope TATA quickly and very quickly dowse any "fire" that may be reported on the initial batches, the quick resolutions are what made the brand "XUV" a success. Also hope they work on improving the feature list on the Hexa and bring in a minor facelift in 6 months time (bigger HU, optional sunroof at factory level, power folding mirrors etc), there will definite picking on the missing features by customers / audiences Vs the XUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Pricing seems good to me, but what i havent been able to spot ( hope i havent missed it) is that , KITNA DETI HAI ? No mention of ARAI mileage. Does anybody have info on that?
I believe the AT has a 17.xx kmpl ARAI mileage IIRC. The manual version is lesser, at 14.xx kmpl.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th January 2017 at 20:01.
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 18:23   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
I think it is a good starting price but the difference of kit between the XM and XT variants does not justify the difference of 2.2 lakhs in their pricing. I think the XT could be priced around 50,000/- cheaper.
Maybe those massive 19-inch wheels are playing a part here. XM doesn't even get ACC.

I guess Tata could have positioned something between XM and XT, with ACC and 16-inch alloys and then kitted-up the current XT with sunroof, keyless entry and some more niceties as XZ.

Maybe this can be done in future as a refresh couple of years down the line as well.
ksameer1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 18:36   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
I think this is not an appropriate statement. If you think technically, then even XUV is not an SUV either. Its a FWD monocoque chassis. Essentially, a crossover.
A monocoque makes better sense as a daily drive.

Moreover I don't think anybody who wants a thoroughbred SUV would go for the Hexa either.
Old 18th January 2017, 18:54   #822
Senior - BHPian

Very good pricing on the Hexa which somehow feels more car per car than any of its competition. Now for about the same price Navi Mumbai for the Crysta GX 2.8, the equivalent Hexa XTA gets a proper ICE with navigation, Automatic Projector head lamps, cruise control, DRLs, Rain sensing wipers, hill hold control, 6 airbags, leather seats, 8 way power assisted driver seat adjustment, ACC and the list goes on and on. The Toyota is crazily priced and so hopelessly under equipped that it is not even funny any more.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 19:05   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb pricing in my opinion!

If you ask me if i will be willing to pay 2.8 lakhs more than a top end manual creta for the top trim manual Hexa, what will i be considering?

Presence - check
Space - check
7 seats - check
Amazing ride quality - check
Powerful engine - check
Better interior quality - check
Safety - check
Better Equipment - check

Heck, I will rate Hexa better than XUV5OO if i had to compare. But again, it is a personal opinion. Having owned 5 Tatas, or to be more specific, 3 of them above 90000km usage and one still doing duty at 1,14,000 km without any issue, I have more faith on tata than 90% of the members in this forum.

I pray Hexa becomes in D1 what Tiago has become in B segment.

A.S.S is not bad honestly!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 19:40   #824
Senior - BHPian

Lot of comparison on prices between XUV and Hexa. I believe only advantage that XUV has over the Hexa apart from the 0-100 timings (which basically does not make much sense in a 2 tonne people mover IMO) and some additional features is the perceived better reliability of Mahindra over Tata. Reliability is something that cannot be proven during a product launch. Hence all in all its a wonderful job. Tata has given us at a very good price, that has class leading space, class leading interior quality and class leading ride. I would also add better drivability here since the in gear acceleration timings are pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A monocoque makes better sense as a daily drive.

Moreover I don't think anybody who wants a thoroughbred SUV would go for the Hexa either.
As long as it is nimble enough. None of the reviews so far mention the Hexa to be more difficult to drive in the city vis a vis the XUV. If anything, the Hexa is more comfortable, has better appointed interiors and has class leading ride. People may actually like to spend more time inside Hexa than the XUV. As long as we are talking about two equally well engineered cars, I would like to spend more time inside one that makes me feel good. By having such class leading interior quality and ride, Tata has done exactly that.

People wanting thoroughbred SUVs won't go for the XUV 500 either. Moreover I believe that particular post was in response to a comment that XUV is more of an SUV than Hexa which is basically an MUV.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 19:44   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
what i havent been able to spot ( hope i havent missed it) is that , KITNA DETI HAI ? No mention of ARAI mileage. Does anybody have info on that?
From a live chat session on the official Tata Hexa website:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-scrn.jpg

Launch venues, dates and timings in other parts of the country:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-v1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-v2.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 18th January 2017 at 19:50.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks