Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:35   #1771
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Finally I got my hands on Hexa XTA and I must say it was a wonderful experience this time. I drove it around 20-25 kms and I must say automatic is totally in different league. As many of us pointed out XTA is better than XT but I actually understood the same after driving them back to back.

It was an effortless driving experience where I was totally lost in the extremely refined dynamics of Hexa. The gear shifts were super smooth and up shift and down shift were quick without much delay. I inquired more with SA accompanying me regarding the booking of MT vs AT and I was left shocked. He told 80% booking/deliveries are for AT variant. He further told all customers including me felt the same that AT is much better and refined than MT.

This will sound a bit funny but he told they are advising 4x4 customers not to test drive the XTA since many of them changed their decision after driving automatic.

I personally didn't found any reason to go for manual over automatic. The difference in the 4 four modes of XT 4x4 which I drove last week was very less If I compare it with XTA sports vs drive mode. The car became a beast as soon as I switched from D to S. There was one more add on feature which he explained, the long press of accelerator in any mode will make the gear shifts more aggressive and again press and hold for a moment will cancel this mode(Not sure what was the name of this mode).

If someone is looking for Hexa my sincere advise is to go for automatic. I feel Hexa will not be used often for off road excursions but the effortless city drive with AT will always put a smile on everyone's face.

Pics of TD car attached (Tungsten Silver)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170401_175836.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170401_175846.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 17:34   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
A trend what I notice recently is of more and more comparison between Hexa vs Endeavour/Innova than with XUV. The moment a car gets compared to the next segment, it is definitely the best appreciation it can get
Very good point. I am yet to see a Hexa, but based on the reviews I have been reading that two main areas where Hexa really trumps XUV is interior materials and ride quality and both go a long way in giving a ownership experience. Big of fan Indian brands going up the value chain. Fingers crossed for Tata to keep up the good A.S.S and people taking some risk and spending on Hexa. So far on road atleast in Bangalore, Hexas are not easily spotted. In last few months I have only seen 2 other than test drive cars.
Old 3rd April 2017, 18:25   #1773
BHPian

Booked the XTA today at Sagar Motors, Noida . We have booked 4 Hexa together with my colleagues 3 XTA and one XT4x4. Lowest waiting period on XT4x4 is 4 weeks and 6 weeks on XTA as of now. No discount offered. Insurance will be taken care by ORIX our leasing partner.
Anuruddhs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 18:26   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
There was one more add on feature which he explained, the long press of accelerator in any mode will make the gear shifts more aggressive and again press and hold for a moment will cancel this mode(Not sure what was the name of this mode).
That's the 'Race Car' mode. Nice that they threw this in despite the size of the car. Sticks a silly grin on your face, when you find a suitable stretch and unleash it.

Across the board, every one comes out happier and recommends the AT over the MT. This Punch Powerglide AT box has got rave reviews from everyone who has driven it over the MT. Would be sweet when the ESP and other safety features get bundled into the XTA.

So, Roby, what's your verdict? Waiting it out for a few months?

Just checking....Spotted very few in Delhi. Where are the Hexa's?
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 19:04   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
That's the 'Race Car' mode.

So, Roby, what's your verdict? Waiting it out for a few months?

Just checking....Spotted very few in Delhi. Where are the Hexa's?
Thanks, SA mentioned it to be Race Car mode only it slipped out of my mind.

I will be going with mighty Ford. If I take delivery within 2-3 months it will be 2.2 Trend if I stretch till end of the year it will be 2.2 Titanium. I expect some good discounts at year end hence can plan for Titanium.

Although TD for Endy is still pending but in any case I will be moving to next segment. Had a discussion with Harpreet Ford SA, he told I can book it now with 1L booking amount and expect delivery within 2-3 months max & loan interest rate is 8.5% for me. Not sure if I book my car and within the booking period if GST comes into play will I get the benefit or not?

Even I didn't saw any Hexa on road in Delhi apart from the TD/display cars I checked.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:15   #1776
BHPian

I think its going to take way more time for Hexa to be seen often on roads. Its been a year that endeavour was launched and even now, its hard to spot one. But, the frequency of spotting it is definitely increasing. All this only after a year of launch.
Even the limited edition XUV is very rare to spot. I have seen more Hexas on road in Bangalore than the limited edition XUV that was launched. So it does take time and i feel its not fare to expect spotting a Hexa just 2.5 months post launch.
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:21   #1777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
That's the 'Race Car' mode. Nice that they threw this in despite the size of the car. Sticks a silly grin on your face, when you find a suitable stretch and unleash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Thanks, SA mentioned it to be Race Car mode only it slipped out of my mind.
Actually, I feel the Race Car mode is great for one-off thrills but doesn't really translate into max performance in real world conditions.

Let me explain.

When the system goes into this mode, it tries to keep the revs above 4000rpm at all times. In fact, it will down-shift to a lower gear even at as high at 3500rpm. This certainly works for a petrol engine but this is a big and heavy diesel engine. At 4000rpm, you don't have much of a rev band left to play with. Torque has pretty much dried out and what you basically get is plenty of noise.

I mean seriously. You are cruising along at 100kmph. You shift to Sports mode and absolutely floor it. The gearbox will drop down 3 gears right away and you get, what, 4500rpm? That's too much for a hulking diesel SUV! This is not a GM V6 petrol motor. 'On-the-limit' calibration is very aggressive for this application.

Also, it sometimes downshifts unexpectedly, just to keep the revs high. This actually costs you precious fractions when your are really pushing it. I find that the best way to make the Hexa hustle is to drive in Sports mode, but upshift manually as and when required. You make fastest progress if you ride the torque wave and upshift between 3500-4000rpm. No point revving it any higher.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd April 2017 at 22:42.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 01:00   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Actually, I feel the Race Car mode is great for one-off thrills but doesn't really translate into max performance in real world conditions.

Let me explain.

When the system goes into this mode, it tries to keep the revs above 4000rpm at all times. In fact, it will down-shift to a lower gear even at as high at 3500rpm. This certainly works for a petrol engine but this is a big and heavy diesel engine. At 4000rpm, you don't have much of a rev band left to play with. Torque has pretty much dried out and what you basically get is plenty of noise.

I mean seriously. You are cruising along at 100kmph. You shift to Sports mode and absolutely floor it. The gearbox will drop down 3 gears right away and you get, what, 4500rpm? That's too much for a hulking diesel SUV! This is not a GM V6 petrol motor. 'On-the-limit' calibration is very aggressive for this application.

Also, it sometimes downshifts unexpectedly, just to keep the revs high. This actually costs you precious fractions when your are really pushing it. I find that the best way to make the Hexa hustle is to drive in Sports mode, but upshift manually as and when required. You make fastest progress if you ride the torque wave and upshift between 3500-4000rpm. No point revving it any higher.
There seems to be a confusion regarding max power/max torque and power band/torque band. Torque is used to move the car. High torque and low bhp dont make a race car, else a truck would beat most family hatches.
Hexa has 156ps @4000rpm and 400nm between 1700 and 2500rpm. Riding the torque curve is shifting at 2000/2500 rpm which the box does normally. To gain high speeds quickly you need to shift at high rpm where most of the bhp is present. So shifting at 4000rpm makes sense for a swift progress.
For a low rev range engine shifting gears at the highest rpm provides best accelerations. The roll on figures in normal vs race car modes prove this.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 4th April 2017 at 01:17.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 09:49   #1779
BHPian

TD of Hexa at Concorde Motors, Prabhadevi, Mumbai

Had been for a TD of the Tiago AMT (which, I have booked and expecting to take delivery within a week)
Full marks to the dealer for being responsive, eager, arranged for TD on Sunday, no unnecessary questions, good treatment, cordial and welcoming.
Clean car, smelling good, presented well and promptly offered without a fuss all though they knew we were not even 'fishing' and just wanted a casual look.

Disclaimer: I have never driven a proper automatic before. I have never driven a car this HUGE before (driven Innova, but I felt this one bigger!). Experienced the features and luxury upto E class & a BMW 525d to serve as a perspective.

So, stepped into a Hexa - the display one at the showroom, Arizona Blue as well as a Tungsten Silver (Automatic) for a Test Drive.
  • The 'climb up' was significant. I am told a side step makes it better, if so, it should be a standard accessory. :P
  • The seats immediately felt FIRM and not soft, cushioning. We had our doubts about it's famed comfort - but ONE ride and they were all put to rest. Someone has done a marvellous job with the seats. That 'Mercedes supplier' is worth every penny.
  • HUGE. Oodles of space. Feels as if you are buying a house on wheels.
  • FEELS classier. Richer. More premium than it is. Example I never could enjoy the orange backlit console and buttons of the BMW 525 - this 'felt' much more pleasing to my senses. Just my opinion maybe.
  • Good dials. Good LCD in the between them. Loads of info, presented well. Feels a pleasure to look at.
  • LOVED touching that steering. Repeatedly. Did not make you sweat or sticky or itchy. Smooth yet good grip. No notches, yet tight to hold.
  • Too many buttons on the steering wheel. But then that many more features too!
  • Centre system - music - touch screen - Responsive enough. Decent. Intuitive controls. BUT definitely needs Android Auto & Apple Play BOTH. Music awesome. BEST accoustics definitely. Screen definitely needs to be bigger. No doubt.
  • Spring loaded 12V caps. Spring loaded arm rest (front). Spring loaded cup holder (middle row). Quite springy - but good touches. Felt built to last. Not flimsy. Premium feel even in those 12V socket caps.
  • Plastics are great to touch almost everywhere. Maybe not so much in lower half - but then - we don't TOUCH those areas with our hands often. Our feet hit those areas more, and then maybe it's a good thing they are harder.
  • All features worked as advertised and experienced 'virtually' on TeamBHP
  • Be it the multiple AC vents, AC controls, Music controls, power windows, ORVM folding, ORVM controls, console buttons, ICE buttons - they all were DEFINITELY premium, soft, nice to touch and distinctly different from the 'cheaper' brothers and sisters from TML. That level of part sharing was NOT done, thankfully and rightfully.
  • BUT - just the key fob has been shared! Definitely a bummer. How do you differentiate that? Simple - you offer keyless entry at this price point d-uh!
  • And thankfully the horn hasn't been shared either - MUCH better sounding horn that the Tiago & Tigor & Zest.
  • Sun-shade, ambient lighting, loads of cubby holes all adds to the premium nature. You feel, yes, I am getting 'something' for all the extra money I am spending
  • Build quality is extremely re-assuring. Inside out. Again, you feel like trusting it with your money.
  • So far - XUV doesn't match anything. Plastics, comfort, seats, space, feel - advantage Hexa all the way. Without doubt.
  • Now the bits that I felt Tata needs to address / start working on IMMEDIATELY. - The way the seats tumble and the way you access the NICE 3rd row. The ingress/egress kills the whole point and feel good factor. Definitely need to take a leaf from Toyota's book here
  • TOO many different kind of textures and therefore materials / plastics. IMHO that's not always a good thing. Because it translates to that many different components screwed in - which in turn only increases your chances of rattles and cost of spares. More cohesive, ONE like feel to it would be better. Example door pads.
  • Too many blanks on the centre console. When I see these on the Tiago, Tigor - even the Zest (usually 3 out of 6 are empty) I am willing to let it slide. But on a TOP END Hexa - I really don't expect ANY blanks! Maybe ONE (for some market specific changes or future upgrades). But for me, it always feels ODD. Like, I paid for it and I still did not get something.
  • Now comes the ride. I can't say anything without sounding repetitive on the forum - but boy oh boy! This is something REALLY worth experiencing and that alone warrants a few lakhs extra in my books.
  • There's this one patch - from Century Bazaar towards City Baker, Worli - just after the Doordarshan signal - the right most side of the road has a 'joint' a change in textures of the road - your car always gives you a jarr there if you don't slow down. The Nano, for instance would 'sound' as if you broke something, the Manza makes a metallic scary thud, the Tiago was 'ok' but felt. Been through that patch in various cars (taxis / uber) Fiat, Xcent, Alto, Ritz, WagonR, XUV, Honda City - NONE of them could do what the Hexa did. The only car till date in which I NEVER realized when that patch came and went. No sound. No jostling. No drama. NOTHING. Did not even realize I should have slowed down there. I think that itself was testament enough, I don't need to repeat what has already been said about smaller potholes and speed breakers. NOTHING seems to matter.
  • First time driving a car this huge - but it felt so comfortable. So easy. Did not make me feel bulky. Mirros & all guides were genuinely helpful and handling is nimble.
  • Steering - feels lovely when moving. Definitely a little heavy when stationary or at slow speeds. But delightful feedback.

Seems like I am just raving on / smitten or waxing eloquently as if it's all heaven. Well, no. Not apparently.
Maybe it's just me, my perspective - maybe I am an immature buyer - but at the end of it all, when I asked for the OTR price - it did not make a sale for itself. My Manza is at 80,000 kms. 5 & 1/2 years old. Doing a great job. We love it. But after 1,00,000 - we will have to part ways. Genuinely considering the Hexa as an upgrade - since everybody in the family loves it - in & out. And it would be a step in the right direction. But, the vehicle did not convince me to spend 20 lakh PLUS on it. At that price, perhaps I am wrong, but I expect a little more 'perfection'. Like maybe this is v1.0 and I am seeking 2.0 - bigger screen, maybe a little more finishing in the under sides of the car. Keyless entry (if not the start stop button) - but definitely request sensors. Not necessarily a sun roof (no I am not that stupidly greedy or inconsiderate) Some bits of wood maybe and NOT faux leather feeling plastic (a la Samsung Note 3). Like the Innova Crysta - doesn't have a better laid out dash - but at first glance feels 'expensive'. Hexa TOUCHED feels good. But not expensive. Again 26+ for the Toyota also seems more. But maybe the 'perceived' quality levels and reliability levels are higher - so doesn't feel as hesitant a purchase decision as the Hexa.
I know, I know - sounds like a confused person. But then that's what the Hexa did to me.
To quote a standup comic Angad Singh Ranyal - 'Beta this is decent... but it could be betterrrr....'
Got just THAT feeling.
Same thing at say 16 or 18 - would not be so confusing. Would perhaps be a no-brainer. Maybe it's just a mental block. Maybe the Manza has spoiled us with comfort and reliability owned at 8.8 lakhs (although that was half a decade ago). But the brain says - why not just 'settle' on the Zest facelift then.
Heart goes - 'Bro, but then that's not exactly an 'upgrade' from the Manza. More like lateral or maybe even a step down since it's a compact sedan).
Trouble maker brain goes "then wait for Tata to come with a proper sedan in the 10 to 12 lakh space. That should suffice. It's definitely a possibility. But I will not allow you to go and splurge THAT amount on the Hexa."

That's when it hits me - marketing, perceptions, brand building - all of these are so vital and necessary irrespective of how beautiful, technologically sound, impressive a product you come up with - where you seem to have poured in a lot of soul and worked very hard to get what you could manage to get as PERFECT - but missed on some minor things in the process and weighed down with the baggage of the past.

GREAT work Tata. Take a bow. But don't stop. Go back and keep working harder. Don't rest yet, don't give up the fight. You seem to have finally started working in the right direction - don't stop till you WIN.
& for God's sake don't get complacent now or rest to enjoy the laurels coming your way. Keep investing in brand building and marketing.
People still don't know about Hexa.
Can't pronounce / spell Tigor (Tiagor to Teegor) - read / heard various versions.
THIS does not happen to a Celerio, Ritz, Swift, Alto, Eon, XUV, Xcent, Grand i10 - despite any number of quirky spellings.

Someday ... maybe the Hexa or the next Safari. Someday!

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 4th April 2017 at 10:02. Reason: Forgot to mention about the key.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 11:02   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
TD of Hexa at Concorde Motors, Prabhadevi, Mumbai
Someday ... maybe the Hexa or the next Safari. Someday!
Or maybe a Nex(on) next - when it comes out?
Enjoyed reading your take on the Hexa. Must check it out, if only for the ride quality, someday.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 13:36   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Or maybe a Nex(on) next - when it comes out?
Enjoyed reading your take on the Hexa. Must check it out, if only for the ride quality, someday.
Absolutely correct sir! How did it EVER slip out of mind when writing that post. Definitely looking forward to the Nexon. Ticks all the boxes that should be an upgrade from the Manza. ONLY concern is, I am more inclined towards a petrol engine this time and Tata seems to be making 'better' diesels. If Tiago & (expected) Nexon figures are any indication to go by.
But otherwise, indeed - the Blue & White Nexon would make for a great upgrade.
Thank you!
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 14:13   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Finally saw a Hexa on the road on my way to lunch. My feelings were akin to an ornithologist sighting a rare bird.
The big fella is quite a personality all right. I allowed the driver to overtake wanting to take a look from the rear as well. Was quite impressed by the way he breezed past and held his speed in the slightly scattered traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-imag0850.jpg  

wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 17:06   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
To quote a standup comic Angad Singh Ranyal - 'Beta this is decent... but it could be betterrrr....'
Got just THAT feeling.
Same thing at say 16 or 18 - would not be so confusing. Would perhaps be a no-brainer. Maybe it's just a mental block.
This is what happens with most of the Tata prospective buyers. The small things that they don't care about make up for the difference between liked it and bought it.
That is why a few pages ago I had mentioned that if Tata would have equipped the XM version better they would have got much better sales. I hope someone at Tata is reading this and they correct their variant goofup ASAP.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 17:42   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
That is why a few pages ago I had mentioned that if Tata would have equipped the XM version better they would have got much better sales. I hope someone at Tata is reading this and they correct their variant goofup ASAP.
I agree fully with you. The gap in features of XM and XT is just too large. XM is so barebones that it almost looks like a base variant compared to XT. Tata seem to have followed the hatchback style of feature distribution - only top end gets alloys, auto climate control and other such features. I see two possible things that could have been done:

1. Add atleast Climate control, fog lamps & 16 inch alloys to existing XM variant.

2. Go the Tiago way - current XT should have been XZ, and an additional XT variant between XM and XZ. Having 4 variants makes more sense in this segment than Tiago's segment.

Unfortunately nothing can be done now :(
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 17:54   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Having 4 variants makes more sense in this segment than Tiago's segment.
They cannot have 4 variants as Hexa has shortage of features like key less entry, sunroof, telescopic steering etc.

Quote:
Unfortunately nothing can be done now :(
Why not? They can make the additions to XM as suggested by you and make a minor revision to the price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks