Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2017, 19:25   #3271
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

The wife and I test-drove the XTA today at KHT Bangalore and we loved it! Rationally speaking for our current usage (5000km in city + 5000 in highway per year) it may be better to continue using our Celerio AMT in the city, Punto 90HP (wife refuses to drive this due to MT) in the highway and rent an SUV from Zoomcar when we need to move > 4 people on the highway. But the lure of Hexa is tugs the heart!

Rational thinking: As a salaried person, I have to earn 31L to pay the OTR of 21.5L (after income tax) to own a car which actually costs only 12L (ex-showroom price minus the GST!) If I use it for 100,000 km over 10 years this is already 31 Rs. / km just to own without paying interest and stuff. So it is truly an indulgence.

If I do go ahead I will buy the XTA as wife enjoys driving the AT (so do I frankly within Bangalore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
The main reason for this issue is the inability of the Bosch system and the Punch system to communicate with each other. TATAs are supposedly working on the interface, and if that works out then we might see ESP and other features on the XTA. May be the cost will go up a bit and I hope that is not the case. I chose the XT because safety features are more important than convenience factors and most of driving is on highways
Question 1: Does the current XTA unit already have the hardware for ESP and TCS? In such a case if Tata does figure out the interface then it would be great.

Question 2: If answer is no to question 1, is Tata planning to update the AT versions with this feature in the future? We are not really in any urgency so I can wait!

Why ESP is important?
Quoting from wikipedia:

"Numerous studies around the world confirm that ESC is highly effective in helping the driver maintain control of the car, thereby saving lives and reducing the severity of crashes. In the fall of 2004 in the U.S., the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration confirmed the international studies, releasing results of a field study in the U.S. of ESC effectiveness. The NHTSA in United States concluded that ESC reduces crashes by 35%. Additionally, Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) with stability control are involved in 67% fewer accidents than SUVs without the system. The United States Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) issued its own study in June 2006 showing that up to 10,000 fatal US crashes could be avoided annually if all vehicles were equipped with ESC. The IIHS study concluded that ESC reduces the likelihood of all fatal crashes by 43%, fatal single-vehicle crashes by 56%, and fatal single-vehicle rollovers by 77–80%."

"ESC is described as the most important advance in auto safety by many experts ... The European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP) "strongly recommends" that people buy cars fitted with stability control."

"The IIHS requires that a vehicle must have ESC as an available option in order for it to qualify for their Top Safety Pick award for occupant protection and accident avoidance."
puntOOs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 21:38   #3272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post
The wife and I test-drove the XTA today at KHT Bangalore and we loved it! Rationally speaking for our current usage (5000km in city + 5000 in highway per year) it may be better to continue using our Celerio AMT in the city, Punto 90HP (wife refuses to drive this due to MT) in the highway and rent an SUV from Zoomcar when we need to move > 4 people on the highway. But the lure of Hexa is tugs the heart!

Rational thinking: As a salaried person, I have to earn 31L to pay the OTR of 21.5L (after income tax) to own a car which actually costs only 12L (ex-showroom price minus the GST!) If I use it for 100,000 km over 10 years this is already 31 Rs. / km just to own without paying interest and stuff. So it is truly an indulgence.

If I do go ahead I will buy the XTA as wife enjoys driving the AT (so do I frankly within Bangalore)

Question 1: Does the current XTA unit already have the hardware for ESP and TCS? In such a case if Tata does figure out the interface then it would be great.

Question 2: If answer is no to question 1, is Tata planning to update the AT versions with this feature in the future? We are not really in any urgency so I can wait"
We are in the same boat. Don't NEED to buy a car But WANT Hexa. My rapid TDI is still doing a great job.

Answer to question 1 is No. Sadly, Tata has not included ESP in XTA.
Old 22nd October 2017, 22:15   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
We are in the same boat. Don't NEED to buy a car But WANT Hexa. My rapid TDI is still doing a great job.

Answer to question 1 is No. Sadly, Tata has not included ESP in XTA.
Looks like we are all the latent potential buyers

@mods and people in the know: Is there any way we can check on Tata's intent to bring ESP and TCS to Hexa XTA?

Last edited by puntOOs : 22nd October 2017 at 22:42. Reason: Added model variant for clarity
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:10   #3274
BHPian

Guys, can anyone please post a picture of the monochrome driver information system (DIS) that features on the Hexa XE?

I want to book the XE now that it is being offered in Arizona Blue (confirmed by the sales people) and is a truly VFM variant in my situation.

I test drove the Innova as well and personally dislike the DIS on the GX as too bare bones.

Hope it's not the same in Hexa?

Last edited by sugam : 22nd October 2017 at 23:22. Reason: miswrote information as infotainment
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:52   #3275
BANNED

@sugam, I own an XE, the brochures are incorrect, the XE has full display like the one on XM and XT, so if you can check the display on these 2 variants, it shall be the same on XE. Go ahead buddy pick it up. You shall not regret one bit.
Torquedo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 01:09   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
@sugam, I own an XE, the brochures are incorrect, the XE has full display like the one on XM and XT, so if you can check the display on these 2 variants, it shall be the same on XE. Go ahead buddy pick it up. You shall not regret one bit.
Torquedo, are you sure about it? I'm still confused between Nexon XZ+ and Hexa XE.

Damn, I should have picked Hexa XTA during the GST relief period.

Edit: Missed you owning the XE part in your post. Any pics of the same?

Last edited by mrbaddy : 23rd October 2017 at 01:19.
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:17   #3277
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Torquedo, are you sure about it? I'm still confused between Nexon XZ+ and Hexa XE.

Damn, I should have picked Hexa XTA during the GST relief period.

Edit: Missed you owning the XE part in your post. Any pics of the same?
Hello mrbaddy -

Shall be more than happy to help you, please take my comments with a pinch of salt -

1) I think you are damn confused, as your choices range from Nexon to Hexa, there is a plethora of vehicles beyond Tata between these 2 and these 2 cater to different segments. If Hexa is your 2nd vehicle, it shall fit you fine as you shall need a smaller vehicle for daily errands. Hexa is voluminous and taking it to small by-lanes might pose an issue.

2) Your 2nd statement on the XTA makes me think that you are all the more confused, you are not sure if you are looking at an automatic or manual.

3) Your budget is ranging from 10L to 20L, you seem to be too unsure about how much you should plonk.

Coming to Hexa -

I have kept myself aloof from all the debates that talk about Hexa being a UV or modded Aria, shall share a few thoughts now -

For an Indian customer the typical definition of an SUV is,

1) Bonnet "SHOULD" be "LONGER" than the rear overhang.
2) The Rear should provide you with a slammed look (no curvy back).
3) It should "LOOK" Taller rather than lengthier.

When you sit in a Hexa, you look straight into the eyes of the Fortuner and Endeavour owners, by no stretch of the imagination is the Hexa any smaller or less SUVish than either of the two, for a third of price (XE), it is simply a steal !!

Let people blabber, 90% of those who comment shall neither own any of the 3 above stated nor have a clue of what the Hexa offers at it's price point.

Drive the Hexa, if it connects, there is nothing like it, if it does not, please stay miles away.

I am not the photo friendly guy, had posted my Hexa RC on another thread that talks about SC's 10 year ban on Diesel cars and probably a pic of the mileage that I am getting on the Hexa.

Just check the MID display on any of the Hexa variants and it shall be the same on the XE, I found the mistake on the brochure after booking my XE and the day it landed, confirmed.

Hope the above stated helps you making the best call for your next vehicle, if there be further questions, please reach-out to me and I shall be more than glad to help you.

Happy Motoring.
Torquedo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:23   #3278
BHPian

Quote:
All the best waiting for one. Even I was in the same position - have a 90HP already, but bought a Hexa XTA. I will give my two cents on my transition and the new experience.
  • Hexa's is a supremely refined engine and it is smooth. You have to rev higher at times to hear the engine grunt at around 90-100kmph. 90HP is very fast, fun and stable, but it is noisy - not a deal-breaker for me though.
  • Driving at night - Hexa experience will put wide grins on your face. It is a piece of cake to get the beast out at night and you will start appreciating the choice a lot, especially when you compare to that of 90HP. You will get a lot of respect on the road and it will be effortless to navigate with such a commanding driving position. Trust me, you will never take 90HP out at night ever on the road.
  • 90HP is extremely stable on the road and you will miss it on corners. But I don't mind it much. For eg:- you see huge potholes or a mild speed-breaker all of a sudden on the road. If you are on your 90HP, you will be a worried driver for sure. In Hexa, you will take it head on.
  • Hexa is big - it will swallow lot of your luggage on an extended weekend trip or 2-3 week long road trips and still leave room for you to breath.

Experience on your own vehicle matters IMHO, which wont be on offer on a rented Scorpio or Safari. I agree that the tax is really high (I was on the verge of taking a pre-owned Storme to avoid paying tax) - but the experience matters and it is not the cost that dominates at the end. XTA is a safe vehicle and it offers loads of features and even safety features, comfort etc compared to your Punto 90HP. In countries like USA, there are supreme road conditions and driving sense unlike that of ours - hence lack of ESP might be a major factor about the road accidents. I will say it matters and it is really good (I was indeed disappointed of knowing about XTA lacking ESP) to have ESP - but for me, Hexa certainly brought into life a better highway cruising standard and more smiles around.

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 23rd October 2017 at 09:27.
vinodvayyat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 09:53   #3279
BHPian

Quote:

Question 2: If answer is no to question 1, is Tata planning to update the AT versions with this feature in the future? We are not really in any urgency so I can wait!
As far as I know the hardware is not the issue. It is the software interface or the lack of it is the issue. They are developing it for the AT version. But when will it be available after thorough testing is something I wouldn't know. As and when it is available, can it be backpatched? I don't know that too
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:08   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
All the best waiting for one. Even I was in the same position - have a 90HP already, but bought a Hexa XTA. I will give my two cents on my transition and the new experience.
Appreciate your detailed comments! It really helps understand the transition as I am in the boat as you were before you got your new ride.

One last question is are you keeping the Hexa as your only vehicle or keeping a smaller one for the city?
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:53   #3281
BHPian

Quoting from the Skoda Kodiaq thread, coz it has some relevance here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Since I drove it on some atrocious roads in rural Kerala, I can tell you that the suspension is probably the best I have experienced. Since I mostly drive on bad roads in my regular drives, I was very interested in this aspect of Kodiaq, and therefore paid special attention to how it handles bad roads. I came out very impressed. There is no bouncing, and every kick from the pothole is softened.

Vidyut who was in the same car told me that only Hexa has better suspension.

This was in context of a vehicle costing 40L.
sachinayak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:54   #3282
BHPian

Quote:
Appreciate your detailed comments! It really helps understand the transition as I am in the boat as you were before you got your new ride.

One last question is are you keeping the Hexa as your only vehicle or keeping a smaller one for the city?
I was in same boat whether to keep the small car or not because HEXA is too big, but after few weeks i can take the car almost all the places where my Zen goes except very tight places where you can not take turns and need to park the car. I barely use my zen and mostly used by my wife. During Diwali I parked Hexa little far away and took the auto to go market otherwise it has become my daily car now for everywhere.
Anuruddhs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 11:34   #3283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
All the best waiting for one. Even I was in the same position - have a 90HP already, but bought a Hexa XTA.
=========
I will say it matters and it is really good (I was indeed disappointed of knowing about XTA lacking ESP) to have ESP - but for me, Hexa certainly brought into life a better highway cruising standard and more smiles around.
Thanks for the well detailed explanation.One more question on this.
If I buy Hexa that will be my only car. How easy it is to drive in city roads (I'm from Bangalore). I already use a scorpio and is comfortable driving it in peak traffic.
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:33   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
We have a Safari and a Manza. I only use the Safari and it serves my purposes as a single vehicle. Yes - you will need a little more planning regarding tight parkings and in some cases you may need to park a little further away but once you get used to the giant, driving a smaller vehicle does not seem to be an appealing alternative any longer .
Strangerintown is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 12:35   #3285
BHPian

Quote:

Even if TATA figure out the interface, it will be for new vehicles and I don't think old vehicles will be upgraded. As of now, if you buy Hexa XTA, you will not have ESP and TCS in your car. So, the answer to your first question may be considered as No.

Coming to your second question, TATA may upgrade Hexa XTA with ESP and TCS (Though we cannot predict how much time it takes), as TATA is getting lot of feedbacks from the customers regarding the lack of ESP and TCS in XTA. If you are particular about ESP and TCS, I feel it is worth waiting, as you say that you can wait
vsun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks