Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2020, 09:27   #826
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
74 AH exide epiq battery is very good.
Comes with an unparalleled 77 month warranty
Well, I called up the authorised service station and as per their advice I have gone ahead with stock specifications and installed 65Ah battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRajesh View Post
My friend who deals in batteries tell me that Amaron batteries are far better than Exide.
Yes. My experience with Amron has been good. All aftermarket batteries are Amron in my garage.
Old 12th December 2020, 09:47   #827
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ21 View Post
Anybody replaced the horn? OEM ones are not loud enough. Also i don't want to splice the wires or anything. Any ideas for plug n play horns? Thank you.
The OEM horn is loud, but sounds similar to Innova Crysta.

I bought Toyota Premium Horn from Toyota Thailand and got it fixed at Lanson Toyota. The Premium Horn is extremely loud

https://www.toyota.co.th/accessories...ct/detail/3517

Or you could go in for Hella Trumpet Chrome Set Twin Tone
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:47   #828
BHPian

An update about my brand new Fortuner.

Took delivery in late November. Had a problem with the MID showing the wrong range from the very first day. Thought it would correct after running for certain kms.

To date, the car has run 2750 kms and the problem still exists. With a full tank of diesel, even filled beyond the auto cut, the MID shows the range in the mid 500’s. MID of the car is malfunctioning. It shows what I think the exact half of the actual range always. The average kmpl over this period is over 11.5

Toyota dealership in the city has absolutely no idea what is happening. To be honest, I think I know more about how the car works than them. They’ve tried changing the combi meter from their TD vehicle but the problem still exists.

They have weird excuses that we have coded our BS6 cars to show less range, 12L of diesel is in reserve so it doesn’t show, etc. etc.

Have turned to the forum to figure something out about this. Did not expect a glitch in a brand new Fortuner. All help is welcome. Thank you
Stratosphere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 02:17   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
To date, the car has run 2750 kms and the problem still exists. With a full tank of diesel, even filled beyond the auto cut, the MID shows the range in the mid 500’s. MID of the car is malfunctioning. It shows what I think the exact half of the actual range always. The average kmpl over this period is over 11.5
Facing the EXACT SAME problem with a late November BS6 Innova Crysta Diesel. No matter what, the range does not rise over the mid 500 KM mark.
My Toyota dealership has no clue as well ! My vehicle has done only about a 1000 KM so far.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th December 2020 at 07:13. Reason: Please quote selectively, instead of quoting an entire post. Thanks.
utkarsh10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 01:08   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarsh10 View Post
Facing the EXACT SAME problem with a late November BS6 Innova Crysta Diesel. No matter what, the range does not rise over the mid 500 KM mark.
My Toyota dealership has no clue as well ! My vehicle has done only about a 1000 KM so far.
Quote:

Took delivery in late November. Had a problem with the MID showing the wrong range from the very first day. Thought it would correct after running for certain kms.

Toyota dealership in the city has absolutely no idea what is happening. To be honest, I think I know more about how the car works than them. They’ve tried changing the combi meter from their TD vehicle but the problem still exists.

They have weird excuses that we have coded our BS6 cars to show less range, 12L of diesel is in reserve so it doesn’t show, etc. etc.

Have turned to the forum to figure something out about this. Did not expect a glitch in a brand new Fortuner. All help is welcome. Thank you
I too just acquired a new fortuner, mid Nov 2020, and have completed about 3,500 kms. First service done too. Incidentally I never filled up the tank fully until last week when the car was showing about 100 kms in range. Decided to fillup about 60 litres of diesel, remembering back of mind that the tank capacity is 80 litres. But a rude shock was in store, the tank could accommodate only 45 litres of fuel. The fuel meter showed full tank and the same range - about 575 kms. Was quite astonished and wanted to check back the details in Team-BHP review and the manual about the fuel tank capacity, but this quickly slipped my mind until i saw this post (had some family business going on which kept the mind busy).

One question, how much fuel were you able to fill-up at one go? Close to 70-75 litres?

Will call up my service center guys too and check the service manual for fuel tank capacity. Its important to get to the bottom of this. Doesn't look like a technical glitch or some malfunction - quite a few similar experiences. Did they reduce the tank capacity or partially blocked? FYI the website still shows 80 litre fuel capacity - just checked now.

Would be interesting to hear how much have people managed to fill up the tank in one go.

Edit: Just to add, I am getting fuel economy between 11.5 to 12.5 kmpl since beginning (50-50 mix of city and highway drives).

Last edited by On the Move : 18th December 2020 at 01:13.
On the Move is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 03:01   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Move View Post

One question, how much fuel were you able to fill-up at one go? Close to 70-75 litres?

Would be interesting to hear how much have people managed to fill up the tank in one go.

Edit: Just to add, I am getting fuel economy between 11.5 to 12.5 kmpl since beginning (50-50 mix of city and highway drives).

I think I got between 60-65 lts before it went full. Range showed 537 kms. Even my economy is 11.5 according to MID. Real world is even more than that. Really have no clue what is wrong with the whole thing.
Old 21st December 2020, 12:02   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With a full tank of diesel, even filled beyond the auto cut, the MID shows the range in the mid 500’s.
Quote:
The fuel meter showed full tank and the same range - about 575 kms
This sounds quite bizarre! Looks like an MID calibration issue, in all likelihood, although it is quite intriguing to see multiple vehicles with similar behavior.

To double-check on tank capacity as well as fuel-gauge accuracy, try tanking up when the fuel-gauge is at ~50% mark. The Fortuner should take in ~40 lit of fuel.
Old 21st December 2020, 13:08   #833
BHPian

Quote:
The lack of Android Auto in this car is really getting to me now. It makes navigation/making calls/changing music while driving a major pain. Definitely going to get a third-party HU installed early next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ21 View Post
Facing the same problem. Lack of Apple carplay and Android auto is now really getting on my nerves. Toyota people are unofficially quoting over 1.5 lakhs for the fitment of new Innova's headunit in Fortuner which is just absurd . Please let me know which 3rd party HU you decide to go for.
Quote:
I was waiting for the new Fortuner so that I could install its HU. But for 1.5l? LOL. Will go for a Pioneer one. I plan to get the upgrade done in Jan next year so will keep you posted.
I kinda managed a fix for Android Auto for my Fortuner (and really this could apply to any car for that matter, and many may already be using this setup with or without modifications). I stumbled upon it while looking for a decent mobile mounts for using google maps on mobile while driving (given the lack of easy usability of the OEM navigation). Chanced upon different styled magnetic mobile mounts on Amazon, fixed, vaccum based, AC vent mounts, flexible, rotatable, etc. While I did not have a a great experience in past, this time I tried my hand again as my most reliable Spigen clamp mount (which could be placed on the top of the dash was unavailable. Rest all, including AC vent mounts or windscreen mounts were either incompatible or block wayy too much real estate on the windscreen or could cause damage in long term. Plus then there is shakiness issue on windscreen mounts or AC vent mounts. Long story short, got two magnetic mounts which could easily fit on my fortuner dash with minimal obstruction to the front view or any other parts on dash while being reliable holders.

It was then while surfing the android auto app (on my Pixel 2XL) that i found that there is an option for Android auto to automatically start once it is connected to a Bluetooth device. There i got an idea, whereby combined power of a strategically placed sturdy mobile mount could immediately activate Android auto the minute the phone and car's bluetooth get paired (which is one thing that happens almost instantly with fortuner's HU). Viola, it worked and I have a working wireless Android auto at a convenient location on the dash. Although not on main head unit, I am far comfortable using Android auto on my phone, given a choice. Rest all features and usability requirements remain the same whether you operate Android auto on phone or on car head unit.

I assume that many would have already figured this out, but still listing the pics and step by step process:

1. Place magnetic mounts on convenient location on the dash (look for a more permanent usable place - one that can act as an alternate screen).
Note: In my setup, I have placed two mounts - one flexible one at top, which can either help mobile stand on top of dash, or bring it in front of digital clock (partially covering central AC vents - for hot days), and second, fixed mount on blank area next to SD card slot (I have a screen guard installed over the entire screen - so it won't damage the original unit at time of removal).

2. Place the metal chip in mobile case at back (you have option to permanently paste it too) and test the magnetic mount.

3. Start the Android Auto app on mobile. Go to settings, and scroll down to 'auto launch' option under 'phone screen' settings. This allows you to configure which bluetooth devices can automatically launch android auto app. Your car bluetooth should be listed here, along with any other paired BT earphones. Select the relevant car option and you are set.

4. Step in your car (with phone's bluetooth switched on). Place the mobile on the magnetic mount. Switch on screen rotation as per requirement. Then start the ignition like normal operation.
Note: The additional step of switching on bluetooth and screen rotation can be avoided if your mobile has these options permanently switched on, say to stay connected with your earphones / smart watch).

5. Within seconds of the music system coming on, the phone will automatically pair with car's HU and Android auto app will start immediately.

6. Post connection, the best part is that the android auto app works through car's bluetooth, so the music, notifications, calls, navigation directions are all relayed through the car's music system. Just that your phone acts as the android auto screen instead of car's head unit.

7. Added advantage is the voice commands of google which can play music on compatible apps, runs navigation on google app, and makes calls, seamlessly without the need to touch your phone.

While the magnets work well in city traffic and slow speed bumps (the phone stays in place without shaking), will test the setup and see how it performs on long runs with imperfect roads.

Given the bluetooth of Head Unit connects and works well (and I am not too fussed about the average music output), if this setup works well in long term I would prefer not changing or upgrading the head unit or speakers.

Also, need to see how seamlessly does the wireless setup continue to work for long durations (I still prefer wired connection over wireless setup), and the long term effects on the phone screen and battery.

Will report long term use and also if it works same way on apple car play, using my wife's phone (didn't get access to it much during DIY process )

Attaching some pics for reference. Apologies for the night pics on use. Had to later get another phone to take pics of my mounted phone. Will post more pics during next ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-pxl_20201220_044344558.mp.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-pxl_20201220_044405185.mp.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img_2667.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img_2669.jpg  

Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-img_2671.jpg  

On the Move is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:52   #834
BHPian

Quote:
I kinda managed a fix for Android Auto for my Fortuner (and really this could apply to any car for that matter, and many may already be using this setup with or without modifications).
Sorry to say this is an eye sore and doesn't goes well with a 40L car. It looks like mobile phone mounted in Uber/OLA taxi. You should try to find some other option to enable Android Auto in main screen itself.
Old 21st December 2020, 14:41   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Sorry to say this is an eye sore and doesn't goes well with a 40L car. It looks like mobile phone mounted in Uber/OLA taxi. You should try to find some other option to enable Android Auto in main screen itself.
Well the setup will definitely appeal everyone differently - some may not like it visually and some prefer a more reliable inbuilt system, but so long as it works well and solves my immediate problem of accessing Google maps conveniently, I am happy.

I am still waiting to hear back from Toyota if a software upgrade will enable this feature on this particular HU, as it does have a USB port. If that happens, definitely no need of the mounts.

Also, personally I never had issues with looks of dashboards of Olas/Ubers. First preference is to practicality and function, aesthetics come second - else would have have preferred endeavour, or any of the Korean or german cars over fortuner (no offense to anyone). In fact just few years back, before age of ipad like car displays, almost every car had a phone mount as smartphones and gooogle maps became commonplace. Plus aesthetically there are lot of things to be desired in this particular 40 lakh car, so i am not fussed.

As I mentioned, I prefer this setup for following reason:

1. First, doesnt require me to spend extra money on getting the new HU, or mess with the existing one to enable an arrangement that is not activated by default.

2. My phone has a much better display, resolution and touch response over the basic OEM HU.

3. Lastly, this brings the map screen muscj more near to my eye level than the HU, which requires less distraction from the road. The original HU is placed a bit lower to my liking. Also doesn't help height of most drivers, including me, in my family is over 6 feet.

Last edited by On the Move : 21st December 2020 at 14:47. Reason: Spell check
On the Move is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:33   #836

To make the car a bit more appealing than it already is, I found a ghost shadow light on Amazon last week. These are supposed to be installed on the door stop lights. I have not yet received the product but it does say on the site that it is plug n play. Will update about how it looks and works after receiving it. I do think so that these will serve more of a show off .Price was 1300 rs. for a set of 2. Here is a ss of the product:-
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Fortuner : Official Review-screenshot_20201221151817_amazon.jpg  

RJ21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 18:18   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

A way to enable Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in old HUs is a product called Toyota Touch N Go Apple CarPlay & Android Auto OEM Integration Kit which is shipped from South Korea.

Link to their website: https://m.nvconnect.co.kr/product/de...isplay_group=1

It is basically a module which costs 600,000 South Korean Won roughly ₹4,000.

Every detail about the module and the Toyota HU is given right from connecting the module to the HU to what is what with diagrams.

This is one of the video showing the HU of the Fortuner and essentially Innova Crysta as well.

PS: Have no association with them, just sharing something I had seen on YouTube to enable Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in Toyota’s basic HUs. Hope it helps!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 21st December 2020 at 18:19.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 12:53   #838
Senior - BHPian

A query to existing Fortuner (2nd gen owners) - is Active Traction Control (A-TRC) enabled perpetually or is it only activated when 4WD is engaged?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 02:58   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A query to existing Fortuner (2nd gen owners) - is Active Traction Control (A-TRC) enabled perpetually or is it only activated when 4WD is engaged?
Hello Mr. Dube,

On Toyota platforms (e.g., Fortuner (Indian variant) and Landcruiser Prado - it has a Torsen Limited Slip Centre Differential) that come without a locking differential on the rear axle, the A-TRAC is an automatic feature that engages when you switch to 4-LOW so there is no manual intervention required.

I'm sure you would already know; A-TRAC is a feature that mimics the functionality of a locking differential (to an extent) so for a large majority of the buyers who wouldn't want to bothered with the escalated cost, weight, and complexity of a locking differential, it is more than enough other than when you are on a technical trail.

On some platforms that come with a manual locking differential on the rear axle, this feature has to be engaged manually (e.g., on the 4 Runner & Tacoma).

I recall having read this on an Australian auto website (don't exactly remember which one); the 2nd gen Fortuner owners may please verify.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 26th December 2020 at 03:09. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 17:03   #840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
On Toyota platforms (e.g., Fortuner (Indian variant) and Landcruiser Prado - it has a Torsen Limited Slip Centre Differential) that come without a locking differential on the rear axle
As far as I know, the second generation Fortuner does not have a center differential, as it is a part-time 4WD, i.e. cannot be driven on tarmac in 4WD mode. This is unlike the first generation Fortuner which was a full-time 4WD and hence, had a lockable center differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
the A-TRAC is an automatic feature that engages when you switch to 4-LOW so there is no manual intervention required.
So, the A-TRAC is not active in 2H and 4H?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks