Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2023, 13:51   #1021
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgalways View Post
Installed OSRAM lights at Pitstop in Kalyanagar.

Paid around 8.5K if I remember correctly. It was a 10 min job.
The cornering functionality works fine with the fog lights turning on.
Thanks for the info. Has it helped with night/early morning drives? Is there enough throw since our fog lamps are quite low?
Old 7th September 2023, 14:58   #1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
Thanks for the info. Has it helped with night/early morning drives? Is there enough throw since our fog lamps are quite low?
It is more a cosmetic upgrade IMO though it does improve the short range visibility. For long range, thinking of the hella light bar fitted behind the grill. That would be around 23k. Still haven't decided yet since I was first exploring the option of fitting the Rline projectors.

Last edited by Omkar : 8th September 2023 at 09:04.
dsgalways is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 16:07   #1023
BHPian

I own a 2019 VW Tiguan (Diesel) which has run about 37000kms till date. Of late I have been facing a strange problem of the AC completely cutting off while on long highway drives. The details are as follows :-
  • AC works properly on city drives, stop-go traffic.
  • Over long drives (where there is continuous running for a couple of hours) the air-conditioning simply stops blowing cold air and only the fan works.
  • No amount of adjusting / switching the AC buttton on/off helps rectify the situation
  • The only way to restart the AC is to shut down the engine for 30 mins approx - post which the AC works fine for the next hour or so.

I had given my Tiguan for the 4th service last week with Elite Motors Bangalore (VW Electronic City) with a specific ask to check the AC. They could not find anything wrong and gave it a clean chit.

The AC again failed this weekend on my road trip to Chennai - leaving the passengers sweltering in the 32 degree heat and humidity.

Request fellow Bhpian Tiguan owners to share inputs pls.
Old 7th September 2023, 17:01   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
[*]The only way to restart the AC is to shut down the engine for 30 mins approx - post which the AC works fine for the next hour or so.[/list]
Did you note the engine temperature when this happens? Engine overheating normally cuts off the AC
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 18:50   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Did you note the engine temperature when this happens? Engine overheating normally cuts off the AC
Engine Temperature was at a constant 90 degrees.
Old 11th September 2023, 10:23   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post

I had given my Tiguan for the 4th service last week with Elite Motors Bangalore (VW Electronic City) with a specific ask to check the AC. They could not find anything wrong and gave it a clean chit.

The AC again failed this weekend on my road trip to Chennai - leaving the passengers sweltering in the 32 degree heat and humidity.

Request fellow Bhpian Tiguan owners to share inputs pls.
Tell them to have a look at the AC Evaporator, had the same issue with our Merc C class, cold air used to abruptly stop after 30+mins of driving on the highway. They had to open up the dashboard to have a look at it. They suggested a 1.1L replacement but we pushed them for a repair and they just replaced at O-rings and sorted it out for 45k.
blahman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 19:31   #1027

Hello everyone,

A bit of advice needed. I own a 2021 Tiguan that's done about 39,000 km. I've just sent it in for its third service. I did so slightly prematurely because the brake pad warning light has come on. The SM at Kun Alandur, Chennai has told me that I need to replace all four brake discs along with the brake pads. The cost of the pads are not too high, but the four brake discs amount to about 45k. My question is this: do I really need to change all my brake discs so soon or is this a scam?

I flicked through some resources online and they all seemed to suggest that the discs should last at least 80k km. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 24th October 2023, 18:44   #1028
Distinguished - BHPian

Brought home my 2019 VW Tiguan as an upgrade to my beloved Jetta. Prime reasons for upgrading were the heavy clutch on the Jetta and low ground clearance relative to most so called SUVs today.

I will randomly pour in with my observations here:

- Biggest upgrade is NVH. Gets a solid 9/10 from me where the Jetta only got 7/10. Wind and road noise is especially very well controlled

- Overall build and interior quality is also a notch above the Jetta. Though the doors don't have that solid thud the Jetta had, the car is well built nonetheless.

- Interiors are very understated in design, but I love it that way. One thing I am disappointed with though is that there are already a couple of squeaks from the centre console. Something the Jetta never had

- Exterior might pass off as very bland and boring to most people. Neither me, nor my dad could care less. Both of us share the same opinion when it comes to liking boring looking understated cars.

- The Comfortline seems to get everything one needs. Electric driver's seat with memory, 8 inch MIB-2 with 8 speakers (same as the Highline), lumbar support and height adjust for the passenger seat too (though manual ofcourse), reverse camera in the 2019 MFG cars (though it's mounted on the bumper), LED headlamps, TPMS, dual zone climate control and the likes

- 17 inch rims might not have the aesthetic appeal of the 18 inchers on the Highline, but ride is far more comfortable and tyre replacement costs are also 4-5k cheaper per tyre.

- Coming from a remapped Jetta, a 1.8 tonne Tiguan with 150 hp surely does feel like a minor downgrade. I won't call the car slow. The EA288 TDI has negligible turbo lag and revvs like a petrol, thanks to VVT. This coupled with the 7 speed DQ500 which offers fairly quick downshifts at highway speeds means the car can pull off most if not all overtaking manouvres very well

- Coming to fuel efficiency, the motor easily manages to beat it's petrol counterpart. MID indicated figures are 11-12 km/L in the city and a 460 km trip from Mumbai to Vadodara which took 8+ hours saw the MID display a rather impressive 19.8 km/L.

- The one issue I do have with the DSG is it's hesitancy in lower gears. The box is clearly confused in city traffic and also loves riding the clutch at speeds of 10-30 kmhr in 2nd and 3rd gear. It's an extremely irritating trait that most of these DSGs possess and I am yet to get used to it

- The suspension on the Comfortline is sublime. With 215/65 R17s, most of the small and medium sized potholes are rounded off very well. I do make it a habit to slow down for larger ones though, but the car doesn't exactly crash through those either like the 18 inch equipped Highline sometimes does.

- All 4 bass speakers on the car were faulty when I bought her. Went ahead and splurged on a set of JBL GTO 609C components for all 4 doors and don't regret it one bit so far.

- Another minor gremlin was that the battery installed on the car was a puny 60ah Amaron Black meant for 3 wheelers and CVs. For a 2.0 TDI DSG with AWD, I estimated a minimum of 70ah would be the norm considering even a Jetta DSG needs 65ah. My estimate was spot on. The car starts in half a crank on the 74ah Amaron Pro battery I procured and there's no annoying DMF shudder or flickering of lights as she does so.

- With a mere 22K km on the odo, my mechanic has asked me to defer the DSG oil change and Haldex fluid change to next year.

I have been in touch with BHPian Lamborghini who has a Highline TDI DSG and he's been extremely responsive on DM too. It was thanks to him that I had the confidence to splurge on a 74ah battery since he did the same and solved the slow cranking issue.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with the car. I procured it for slightly less than the price of a brand new Seltos today. Yes, it's a 4 year old German end of the day, but I am banking heavily on my experience with the Jetta and the overall reliability and credibility of the EA288 2.0 TDI and DQ500 powertrain here.

The only minor gremlin I have noticed after driving close to 1000 km after taking delivery is that the front left tends to make a weird knock when the car tends to descend from a very large and steep speedbreaker. This happens exactly when the front left wheel lands on the ground. Would love to hear what other owners have to say on this.

Leaving you guys with a few pics for your viewing pleasure

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20231021_063448.jpg

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20231021_063240.jpg

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20231021_063555.jpg

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20231023_141555.jpg

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20231019_235105.jpg

Volkswagen Tiguan : Official Review-img_20231017_205657.jpg

Last edited by vishy76 : 24th October 2023 at 18:48.
vishy76 is offline   (92) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 10:59   #1029
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Brought home my 2019 VW Tiguan as an upgrade to my beloved Jetta.
Hi Vishy76

Congratulations on getting the Tiguan.

Was wondering about all the trouble the Jetta might be giving you after the DMF issue you were trying to get sorted out last time.

You and I have the same car now. Would be following closely, if you have any VAG mods planned.

Good luck!
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 13:30   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Hi Vishy76

Congratulations on getting the Tiguan.

Was wondering about all the trouble the Jetta might be giving you after the DMF issue you were trying to get sorted out last time.

You and I have the same car now. Would be following closely, if you have any VAG mods planned.

Good luck!
Thanks a tonne TGO

Ironically, the Jettas DMF issues were sorted a year back when I installed a Sachs DMF and clutch kit. The car ran very well till the day I parted with her. Still miss the performance from the remapped TDI and the handling.

The only upgrade I have done for now is the speakers since the stock VW speakers were absolute garbage. All 4 bass speakers had conked off simultaneously on mine and it's a known issue according to my mechanic on these. I might be doing a remap but I don't want to get an ECU tune without a TCU tune to support it. Will update accordingly.

P.S Our cars have the same alloys
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 14:40   #1031
BHPian

Quote:

The only minor gremlin I have noticed after driving close to 1000 km after taking delivery is that the front left tends to make a weird knock when the car tends to descend from a very large and steep speedbreaker. This happens exactly when the front left wheel lands on the ground. Would love to hear what other owners have to say on this.
Congratulations on the buy. Looks like the car is in good nick.

The noise could be of the link rod. Get it checked.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 01:11   #1032

Quote:
Brought home my 2019 VW Tiguan as an upgrade to my beloved Jetta. Prime reasons for upgrading were the heavy clutch on the Jetta and low ground clearance relative to most so called SUVs today.

Hey congratulations on your purchase wanted to know one thing, in the Kodiaq thread I remember you mentioning that you have the solution for the fragile AC vents, if possible could let me know how would you source the AC vent clips as all the AC vent clips are busted in my Kodiaq and showroom quotes exorbitant numbers

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th October 2023 at 08:33. Reason: Quote relevant part and proofread.
Old 26th October 2023, 16:24   #1033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- Overall build and interior quality is also a notch above the Jetta. Though the doors don't have that solid thud the Jetta had, the car is well built nonetheless.

- Interiors are very understated in design, but I love it that way. One thing I am disappointed with though is that there are already a couple of squeaks from the centre console. Something the Jetta never had

- The suspension on the Comfortline is sublime. With 215/65 R17s, most of the small and medium sized potholes are rounded off very well. I do make it a habit to slow down for larger ones though, but the car doesn't exactly crash through those either like the 18 inch equipped Highline sometimes does.

- All 4 bass speakers on the car were faulty when I bought her. Went ahead and splurged on a set of JBL GTO 609C components for all 4 doors and don't regret it one bit so far.
Super jealous on the ride quality you seem to be enjoying! waiting to check your car out next time it's in Mumbai to hear the speakers & see the ride!

I'd also suggest getting the Haldex oil changed - it's to be done every 3 years, so pushing it to 5years is a little on the higher side. Any fault can cost in lakhs to repair hence better to have the peace of mind if you ask me & same for the gearbox oil. At most a year here or there depending on running is fine, but I am not comfortable with it going beyond that given our conditions.

The rattles and the door are surprising! I find the Tiguan's doors a definite upgrade from the Laura and even the rattles - we've only faced from the windows a little despite not being babied - hard to with random craters popping up on our highways!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 23:33   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the upgrade, vishy. Looking forward to see your updates with this one.
Old 29th October 2023, 00:57   #1035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octy View Post
Hey congratulations on your purchase wanted to know one thing, in the Kodiaq thread I remember you mentioning that you have the solution for the fragile AC vents, if possible could let me know how would you source the AC vent clips as all the AC vent clips are busted in my Kodiaq and showroom quotes exorbitant numbers
Hey, thanks for the wishes. I had checked out the pricing for the vents on AliExpress and they were around 5-6k max for a set of 4. Better to order from there and have someone bring them down for you. 6k is peanuts when you consider each vent might be in the region of the same amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Super jealous on the ride quality you seem to be enjoying! waiting to check your car out next time it's in Mumbai to hear the speakers & see the ride!

I'd also suggest getting the Haldex oil changed - it's to be done every 3 years, so pushing it to 5years is a little on the higher side. Any fault can cost in lakhs to repair hence better to have the peace of mind if you ask me & same for the gearbox oil. At most a year here or there depending on running is fine, but I am not comfortable with it going beyond that given our conditions.

The rattles and the door are surprising! I find the Tiguan's doors a definite upgrade from the Laura and even the rattles - we've only faced from the windows a little despite not being babied - hard to with random craters popping up on our highways!

The ride is definitely better on the 17s man. And the tradeoff in terms of handling isn't all that much considering this is a crossover after all.

I have already made arrangements for the Haldex oil and GB oil. Will be changing both in the next 2-3 months max.

As for the door rattles, these can be partly attributed to removing the doorpads for speaker installation. I am planning to get damping done with a fresh set of doorclips to cure these permanently in the near future.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks