Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 8th June 2019, 23:10   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Santro : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Test drove the Santro AMT today. Though the engine is smooth and refined, I found a bit of lag with the AMT in first and second gear, probably due to lack of enough low-end torque. It's a bit lethargic for my tastes, but my wife who is a super sedate driver liked it. I tried the manual mode and found the engine much peppier. It holds onto the gear and I would definitely prefer that mode. The fit and finish quality is top notch and it feels premium. Steering is super light and pretty lifeless. But quite effortless for city drives.
Hyundai has tuned the engine for mileage and given up low end torque which was the fun factor of xing. I found it bad even with manual variant. In xing it was too good even with AC on. After owning two xings I gave up on Hyundai due to this and switched to Tiago.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 09:20   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Santro : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I have a query: We are inclined towards the Santro AMT for our family (my wife is uncomfortable with manual gears), but I have read alarming posts on this forum about the unreliability of AMTs after some 20,000-odd kms. This issue has been reported in Maruti and Tata AMTs, but there has been no feedback about the Santro AMT as yet, as it is still early days. Do you think this AMT issue plaguing other cars may have been resolved in the Santro or is it a safer option to go in for the manual variant, if we want to keep the car for 9-10 years?

Thanks and regards.
Maruti's AMT Issue is mainly with its 3 cylinder cars like Celerio/Alto/Wagon R. The 4 cylinder based AMT cars like Swift/Ignis/Dzire do not face the issues.

Since, Hyundai Santro AMT is based on a 4 cylinder Petrol Engine - I would assume that it is safe and free from the AMT Issues.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote