Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2021, 18:41   #646
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRaw View Post
I felt the petrol was lethargic compared to diesel, but the petrol by itself packs a pretty punch. Mileage is on the lower side if you're into that. Also didn't like the sound of the 3 cylinder engine.

Be advised about the BS6 issues in diesel. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...pf-issues.html (Now, Mahindra Marazzo suffers severe DPF issues)

Seems like petrol is your best bet.
The DPF issues seem to be very corner cases in cars that are not running at high altitudes. I have a BS6 diesel, and I have not even seen the DPF clogged/regen needed light yet in 5000km+. And my usage is 70% city vs 30% highways. I have even idled on the spot waiting for upto an hour a couple of times. No issues. Plus even in that Marazzo case Mahindra had offered a full engine swap under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
I am in the market looking for a compact SUV and have finalized XUV 300. However am torn between the petrol and diesel variant.
Family wants the sunroof which is present in Diesel W8 and Petrol W8(O). Was leaning towards diesel(around 50-60 k cheaper) but a quick calculation showed that my running is not that high , especially after the hybrid working model that my company is rolling out.
Another problem with diesel is the Delhi NCR 10 year rule. Although theoretically I would change this car after 10 years but still having additional 5 years adds to the peace of mind.
On the test drives both fell equally well but definitely diesel has more punch.
What do you guys suggest. Running would be max 8- 9k kms per year.
Diesel is where the punch is at (no pun intended ). The diesel engine is very drivable. Instant torque, along with that burst of energy around 1500-1700RPM makes it fun to drive as well.
I doubt you would keep the same car after 10 years. I surmise most would've moved to electric by then.

I would've normally recommended Petrol for your usage of 8-9k per year, but seeing as petrol prices are climbing constantly and have crossed 120 at places, it no longer has that advantage over diesel. Even with the diesel having higher servicing costs.
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2021, 12:08   #647
BHPian

So some small updates on the vehicle overall.

First off, got some blindspot mirrors, and macguyvered the one on the right because Mr. DIY store somehow only had a LHS one in stock.

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_8303.jpg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_8305.jpg
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_8306.jpg

The view is now fantastic. Especially on the left side, where the 2 split mirrors allow me to keep an eye on the blindspot, as well as look at the ground near the wheel where I'm parking.

On a different note, a very minor issue after the latest head unit upgrade:

The reverse camera has very imbalanced brightness every first instance I use it since starting up the car.
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_8616.jpg

This was after I disengaged R, slotted into neutral, and slotted back into R. The picture is much clearer, or rather it's normal now. This is how it originally looked before the upgrade as well.
Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_8617.jpg

This seems to be a minor software issue, and I will be sending this feedback to the service advisor as well.
Old 25th October 2021, 15:38   #648
BHPian

Booked the XU3OO W8 (O) Diesel MT at Sireesh Auto, Silk Board, Bangalore.

The quoted price was 15.52L, breakup as given below:

Ex-Showroom: 12,64,112
Cash Discount: 13,000
Corp Discount: 4,000
Net Ex-Showroom: 12,47,112
TCS (@1%): 12,471
Road Tax (@18.87%): 2,38,538
Reg Charges: 1,800 (+800 in case hypothecation is required)
Fastag: 500
Incidental: 7080
Insurance quoted: 33,000 (has agreed to match the market)
Extended warranty: 11,460

Total: Rs. 15,52,761

Color: Aqua Marine

Delivery Timeline: 6-8 weeks

Informed the SA and the manager that no payment will be done before PDI at the stock yard and they were ok with it.

I'm putting together a detailed checklist of things to check in the XUV3OO. Will share the PDI list in the forum for others who may find it useful.
krishnakumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:50   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
The DPF issues seem to be very corner cases in cars that are not running at high altitudes.
I agree to it but still it adds tension in case I do take it to hills. However I normally do rev the engine as I always try to be in the power band so hopefully my style of driving will reduce these issues further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Diesel is where the punch is at (no pun intended ).
No doubt to that. I also drove venue in petrol mode and it is definitely faster than XUV, although it is much more linear. However diesel XUV is an altogether different beast, and used to bring a smile to my face.
Off topic: Looking at the XUV 700 petrol specs, I feel it is better to go for it if we are going for top end XUV 300. It may loose some features but performance should be on another level. It should have all the punch for a petrol car.

Pretty confused right now so looking on to hold on my figo a bit longer before making any decision.
Old 27th October 2021, 07:32   #650
BHPian

Quote:
I agree to it but still it adds tension in case I do take it to hills. However I normally do rev the engine as I always try to be in the power band so hopefully my style of driving will reduce these issues further.
Even in hills that would still be fine. In hilly areas you end up driving at mid revs, or constantly varying revs. Both these things will keep the DPF flowing. It's only the Leh-Ladakh type extreme high altitudes and thinner air areas that will cause issues. And those issues have been seen against a lot of BS6 diesels from a lot of manufacturers. That's a design limitation. Since the engine is getting lesser air than it normally would, it's burning in lower oxygen than expected, and will generate soot faster. However a quick drive around slightly lower altitudes should reset it back in no time.

I have literally spent about 30-45 minutes idling the car(to keep the AC running) waiting for my missus running errands in nearby city areas due to lack of parking spaces. That too on multiple occasions. If it can take literal idling for 30-45 minutes without throwing the DPF clogged light, it's good enough. This has been my personal experience. And I am yet to see the regen or clogged light in about ~6000km of driving. 70% city 30% highways.

Quote:
No doubt to that. I also drove venue in petrol mode and it is definitely faster than XUV, although it is much more linear. However diesel XUV is an altogether different beast, and used to bring a smile to my face.
Off topic: Looking at the XUV 700 petrol specs, I feel it is better to go for it if we are going for top end XUV 300. It may loose some features but performance should be on another level. It should have all the punch for a petrol car.

Pretty confused right now so looking on to hold on my figo a bit longer before making any decision.
7OO is super lucrative. My only apprehensions being:
1. Fuel economy on the petrol is going to be super low. I do not expect anything above 15kmpl unless I'm hitting the highways.
2. Size! Parking full sized SUVs is a hassle.
Old 27th October 2021, 13:12   #651
BHPian

Looking to upgrade my W6's headlights. They are H7. Konark (HSR) quoted approx 10k for yellow light, which seems very high to me. Could anyone recommend a good place in / near Whitefield, Bengaluru where I can upgrade my headlamps?
Old 27th October 2021, 15:07   #652
BHPian

Hi all,

I had booked the W8 (O) Diesel MT on Monday (Oct 25th) and today got confirmation from dealer that the vehicle is allotted.

However, there is no official communication from Mahindra or anything on the website. We did receive an SMS from Mahindra on the booking. The dealer says that the vehicle was internally allotted for our booking and is in transit with an ETA of 3 days. He said it usually takes 3 days for OTF to get generated and all of these details would reflect in the website in a couple of days.

Is this normal?

When I asked for the VIN details the dealer has replied via email saying that it will be shared after physically receiving the vehicle.

The dealer has agreed with the arrangment of full payment only after my PDI. However, I wanted to know what manufacturing vehicle they have dispatched. The timeline shared with us was 6-8 weeks but now that the allotment has happened within 3 days of booking (that too with no official booking email, OTF etc.) we are a little skeptical of what's happening.
Old 27th October 2021, 16:36   #653
BHPian

I'm looking at the xuv300 w8(o) diesel AMT. Wife wants automatic and this is the only car that fulfils all our criteria in this price range. I'm not able to find an AMT test drive vehicle in my town. We test drove the manual diesel and liked it very much.

So I have a question, what can we expect from an AMT? I have driven CVT and DCT quite regularly.
Old 27th October 2021, 19:12   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
So I have a question, what can we expect from an AMT? I have driven CVT and DCT quite regularly.
It really depends on your usage. What are you going to use this vehicle for?

I was lucky enough to find one TD vehicle with AMT at Sireesh Auto in Bangalore. I wasn't looking for an automatic because our city usage is limited but decided to give it a shot since it was available for TD and I had never driven AMT. In fact, this was the first XUV300 diesel TD that I did, so didn't have a MT benchmark.

The experience was okayish. The first gear would always be revved up before it shifts but subsequent shifts are all short shifts. Also, because the car sits with a power unit producing that monstrous 300Nm, you get a "lurch forward" experience due to the turbo lag as there is no way to modulate power with clutch. I figured out some way to mitigate this by using the accelerator itself so it'll be a learning curve - certainly not intuitive.

At sedate speeds, there is no gear change whiplash and it goes mostly unnoticed. But at even slightly spirited driving, you do notice the gear changes and your head will bob. Even if you take things in your control manually, it isn't as responsive as the DCT. It takes 2 seconds for it to change gears. Also, it doesn't allow upshifts if you're below a certain rpm; downshifts are allowed though.

Overall, I didn't like the car in that format even without a benchmark. The TD with manual completely blew my mind and of course I ended up booking it.

If your purpose is mostly highway commute with spirited driving across ghats etc, then MT is the way to go. If you're just looking at sedate city driving, the AMT does a pretty decent job; however, be prepared for a learning curve.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 27th October 2021 at 19:13.
krishnakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 07:52   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Hi all,

I had booked the W8 (O) Diesel MT on Monday (Oct 25th) and today got confirmation from dealer that the vehicle is allotted.

However, there is no official communication from Mahindra or anything on the website. We did receive an SMS from Mahindra on the booking. The dealer says that the vehicle was internally allotted for our booking and is in transit with an ETA of 3 days. He said it usually takes 3 days for OTF to get generated and all of these details would reflect in the website in a couple of days.

Is this normal?

When I asked for the VIN details the dealer has replied via email saying that it will be shared after physically receiving the vehicle.

The dealer has agreed with the arrangment of full payment only after my PDI. However, I wanted to know what manufacturing vehicle they have dispatched. The timeline shared with us was 6-8 weeks but now that the allotment has happened within 3 days of booking (that too with no official booking email, OTF etc.) we are a little skeptical of what's happening.
Cancellations happen all the time. Maybe you got lucky and got allotted a booking that someone else might have cancelled. As long as you get the correct vehicle during PDI, and everything is satisfactory in the PDI, you should be good.

As for the online and SMS stuff, I don't remember having gotten those either.

Mine was a similar story. I was not very picky about colour options, and a variant matching my booking had freed up by virtue of a cancellation. So I got it allotted.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 15:09   #656
BHPian

Hi all,

BHPians who have taken delivery of the car recently, can you please confirm the below queries on feature deletions? There is a lot of confusion going around even between the dealers.

I've booked the W8(O) Diesel Manual variant.
  1. Are 3-point seatbelts provided for the middle passenger in the rear seat?
  2. Is there request sensor for passenger side door?
  3. Are front parking sensors still part of the package?
  4. Is the boot lamp still available?

These are some of the features we had considered as positives while evaluating the car. We know of 3 features which have been confirmed to be deleted/modified by the dealer (a) Rear fog lamps removed (b) Driver/Passenger door lamps changed to reflectors (c) Knee airbags removed.

Would be great if someone can clarify on the above. Thanks in advance!
Old 28th October 2021, 16:02   #657
BHPian

One question to the owners. My sister's car is developing fog inside the DRL and Fog lamps in rainy days. The service centre is saying that this is common. Has anyone of you experienced this issue ?
Old 28th October 2021, 16:43   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
One question to the owners. My sister's car is developing fog inside the DRL and Fog lamps in rainy days. The service centre is saying that this is common. Has anyone of you experienced this issue ?
It is normal, happens on all vehicles . Headlamp units have a vent and as long as this vent is not blocked, the moisture will go away. But if it is severe, you should get it checked.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:53   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
It is normal, happens on all vehicles . Headlamp units have a vent and as long as this vent is not blocked, the moisture will go away. But if it is severe, you should get it checked.
Interesting haven't seen this with any other cars yet. Currently we have Hyundai, Tata, Maruti, Honda, Ford cars in our family and in the same geography location. This issue doesn't come on other brands and models. And secondly, the fog comes only on DRL (Which is a separate assembly) and fog lamps, which don't have a structural connectivity with the headlight assembly.
Old 29th October 2021, 07:51   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
This can happen. I hadn't really checked it so closely through the rain season, so I can't comment for sure whether it happened on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Hi all,
  1. Are 3-point seatbelts provided for the middle passenger in the rear seat?
  2. Is there request sensor for passenger side door?
  3. Are front parking sensors still part of the package?
  4. Is the boot lamp still available?

These are some of the features we had considered as positives while evaluating the car. We know of 3 features which have been confirmed to be deleted/modified by the dealer (a) Rear fog lamps removed (b) Driver/Passenger door lamps changed to reflectors (c) Knee airbags removed.
1. 3pt seatbelt for center passenger on the rear has been gone for some time now. I have a May 21 vehicle and even that doesn't have one.
2. Yes, passenger side door still has the request sensor.
3. I think front parking sensors are so far part of the package.
4. Boot lamp not present in my May 2021 vehicle either.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks