Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2023, 21:38   #1066
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Hey SS,

I am responding only to the pieces I have experience in. Hopefully others can chime in on the rest.
I have the W8(O) petrol manual for exactly a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
2. In the scenario that I'm going for the petrol variant, what is the real world mileage I can expect?
City - 11. Highways - 16

Quote:
4. Have you felt the footwell area to be cramped especially around the clutch? I'm 5'10" and I recently took a test drive of the 1.2 manual Petrol car and I found little to no space to rest my left foot thanks to the absence of a dead pedal.
I am 5'10" and the space is good.

You also talked about overall space in car, and that is fantastic too. We tried all others in this segment and were between the Nexon and this. Because XUV cut down on the boot space - if you have seen it you know it's nothing like the boot space of any SUV - the rear seats have amazing leg space.

Even my 6'2" brother fits in without any complaints.
asitmonty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 00:24   #1067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitmonty View Post
I am only worried about the side airbags. Have never dealt with those and don't want to mess up with a safety feature.

Thanks again for the inputs.
Happy to help!

I just routed the wire along the top edge, just below the roofline, just above the door weather seal. I don’t think it’ll have any impact on the side airbag. It’s only tricky when you’re removing the panels as a whole, but in this case nothing is required.
Old 23rd June 2023, 09:45   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitmonty View Post
Hey SS,

I am responding only to the pieces I have experience in. Hopefully others can chime in on the rest.
Thank you for your inputs, could you till me a little bit on the ASS experience and maintenance aspects as well?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2023 at 09:57. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 25th June 2023, 12:08   #1069
BHPian

Dear all,

Thank you all for your inputs. I got a chance to do an extended test drive of the 1.2 TGDI and the 1.5 Diesel mills(both manual only) and it has created quite a bit of dilemma for me.

1. 1.2 TGDI :- Extremely refined for a 3-cylinder motor while on standstill and on the move. Low speed drivability is good, but not diesel level good. It passed the second gear speed breaker test alright however low rpms will make the engine protest and I had to shift it to first at times. But all those qualms go away once the turbo comes to life. This car can reach silly speeds real quick and in a very addictive manner, so one has to keep themself in check while driving this car. Roll on acceleration was impressive, and I felt that this car could give some bigger cars a run for their money. I also felt that this car could cruise better with such abundant power in reserve. The only con will be the fuel economy's inverse relationship with your enthusiastic right foot .

2. 1.5 Diesel :- Extremely refined for a diesel mill. I mean, for a test drive car that has covered 30k+ kms and encountered all sorts of drivers, it still felt refined. The clutch is comparatively heavy and with the long travel would create some discomfort during stop and go traffic. It shines when it comes to drivability and efficiency. It easily passed second gear unscientific speed breaker tests without a fuss. Though not 1.2 TGDI quick, it can build up speeds pretty quickly without any fuss and could cruise comfortably all day along on long interstate trips thanks to the abundant reserves of torque and being lighter on the pocket by returning better fuel efficiency. No doubts on the reliability aspect as Mahindra have perfected the art of churning out refined and potent diesel mills.

Which brings me to my dilemma. If I go with the 1.2 TGDI, I can put all diesel related worries to rest for the next 10 years. It will bring a smile to my face every time I take it out on the open roads. It will be comparatively cheaper to own and maintain. It can also erase my smile real quick due to higher fuel bills as the mStallion motors are not known to be particularly fuel efficient. But as couple of the BHPians pointed out in their ownership reviews, you don't ask the efficiency of a Turbosport and you don't buy one for its fuel efficiency. Also, the reliability aspects of this engine looms high, as this is a brand-new motor.

If I go with the diesel, it will reward me with excellent drivability while not compromising on fuel efficiency even with an enthusiastic right foot, which is one reason why I love diesel cars. Fuel station visits will be less frequent and such visits will not give me a heartburn. However, the maintenance costs will be comparatively higher and BS-6 diesel engine woes and future of this fuel will nag my mind (pardon me, I have low to medium levels of OCD which makes me overthink and worry a lot) as my monthly running will average less than 1000kms. It is comparatively expensive on the road as well.

Or, I could make a compromise and settle for the normal 1.2 Turbo petrol which will offer me decent mileage while being cheaper to buy and maintain in the long run. Help me !

Last edited by ss11011988 : 25th June 2023 at 12:11.
ss11011988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 11:24   #1070
BHPian

Does the GPS system maintain a history (along with date & time) of the routes you've taken - whether you use it or not?
Old 27th June 2023, 14:46   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all,

Or, I could make a compromise and settle for the normal 1.2 Turbo petrol which will offer me decent mileage while being cheaper to buy and maintain in the long run. Help me !
How much on road price price difference you have at the moment. When I bought mine there was 70K difference with diesel getting some additional goodies as well. I opted for diesel.

Yearly service is around (6-7k) that's it.

But looking at the trend against diesel these days and your running which is around 1000, Petrol should be a good pick.
shashant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 22:31   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
How much on road price price difference you have at the moment. When I bought mine there was 70K difference with diesel getting some additional goodies as well..
So the price difference between the W8 P(14,61,876 OTR) & W8 D(16,62,066 OTR Bangalore) variants comes to around 2L as per June price list. The W8 Turbosport variant is listed at 15,31,363 OTR. The insurance amounts are all spiked up to the tune of 65-70k which looks weird considering the fact that similarly priced variants of Kia Sonet has dealer insurance quotes in the range of 50k.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions, yes I understand that my usage doesn't warrant a diesel, its just that diesels are a dying breed and I don't want to shoo away the chances of owning some of the last diesel cars in the market which is making me lean more towards diesels.
ss11011988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 17:17   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
I don't want to shoo away the chances of owning some of the last diesel cars in the market which is making me lean more towards diesels.
I don’t want to confuse you if you’ve already made up your mind.

I went with Diesel for two reasons (1) Long highway runs are more pleasurable in a Diesel with their torquey engines (2) Wanted to grab hold of one before they become artefacts (same reason as yours).

I’m thoroughly happy with my car and the diesel engine is a gem! Also, I don’t run the car that frequently - every month or two, we do a couple of long highway runs. That’s about it.

I’d only advice against a BS6 Diesel if your running is exclusively in the city and especially short commutes. I see you’re in Bangalore, so the average speed during weekdays and peak hours will be 15-20kph max - this is not actually that great for BS6 diesels. But if there is even one good stretch of 20mins with higher speeds of 60kph, that should be fine. Or else, make it a point to drive on one of the highways for a weekend breakfast run.

It is ultimately going to be a heart vs. head decision. I went with Diesel even though I really didn’t have to.

Btw, insurance can be heavily negotiated further. I was quoted some 45-50k initially and got it down to 30k. You can get a quote from any Policybazaar or any of the insurance websites and ask them to price match - usually they’ll have a ton of addons which are absolutely useless - for example, they’ll have an engine cover but the insurance already provides engine cover, the addon is on those extreme events which might not even be applicable. Another common one is, RSA - Mahindra itself will provide the RSA and you should buy that. The one with insurance can be removed. Once you trim all this fat, the price will automatically come down. I negotiated hard and was able to get the offer down to within 1-2k of what was there in online websites.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 28th June 2023 at 17:26. Reason: Added on the insurance bit
Old 29th June 2023, 16:04   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
... little bit on the ASS experience and maintenance aspects as well?
My experience so far is good. I did spend some time figuring out which ASS to go to (there are two in my area) - mostly online reviews. The ASS I have been to are a bit unorganized in managing the timelines - late to do the service start and delivery - but it is still better than a bad service and something I can live with. They did screw up the interior roof once by using some chemical - likely accidentally. There is a quarter inch spot on the roof carpet that is now too whitened and stands out. So, you still have to keep an eye when they are doing the cleaning.

So all in all, not perfect but no major screw ups that I would complain about.

Other than that, I just followed the guidelines posted in this forum and take pictures and videos of the car from all angles with their staff in the video, before they take the vehicle. That way I have something to compare and prove in case anything unexpected happens.

Quote:
The insurance amounts are all spiked up to the tune of 65-70k which looks weird considering the fact that similarly priced variants of Kia Sonet has dealer insurance quotes in the range of 50k.
Do check one of my posts from last year that compiles a lot of useful info for new buyers, all collected/summarized from the 3 years of posts in this thread. If you haven't already spent time digging through the thread, this maybe useful to you.
This includes that on insurance.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5334375 (Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review)

Last edited by Sheel : 30th June 2023 at 17:05. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
asitmonty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 07:29   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,

1. Proven build quality
2. Competent and punchy engines with smooth drivetrain
3. Good interior space management
4. Good ASS experience(Currently residing at Bengaluru)
5. Long term reliability
I feel like one major factor your list doesn't include is safety. Which loosely fits into build quality, but build quality is a whole other notion.
Of the options you listed, the 3OO is the only proven safe car.

Quote:
I am a sucker for turbo diesels, mainly for the addictive turbo surge and the excellent drivability / efficiency ratio it offers, however the future of diesel vehicles, DPF issues and the NGT threat looms in my mind as I plan to hold on to the car for next 8-10 years.
I think diesels will not go extinct for another 5-10 years at the least. As for DPF, I have 20,000km on the clock in my car, and yet to get even a DPF regen light once. And this is despite 70% city 30% highway usage.

Quote:
Which brings me to my queries if at all I'm going for the XUV300 :

1. As this is our first car, should I settle down with a petrol instead of the diesel?
2. In the scenario that I'm going for the petrol variant, what is the real world mileage I can expect?
3. In the scenario that I'm going for the diesel, should I be worried about the DPF issues in this car? I have been diligently reading members' posts to avoid the same, but I would like to hear it from you all still.
4. Have you felt the footwell area to be cramped especially around the clutch? I'm 5'10" and I recently took a test drive of the 1.2 manual Petrol car and I found little to no space to rest my left foot thanks to the absence of a dead pedal.
5. ASS experience. I know it's a hit or miss, but I guess its better than Tata.
6. Any de-facto niggles I should be worried about?
7. Longevity of the 1.2 Petrol engine. I know Mahindra have a proven track record when it comes to diesel engines, but not so sure on the petrol engines.

Regards,
SS
1. Not to sound biased, but the diesel on the 3OO is absolutely fantastic. I have driven both engines back to back multiple times since 2 in my team have a petrol 3OO. And I always love coming back to my diesel. It shouldn't matter that it's your first car. You'll have more fun. That surge of torque at 1500RPM is addictive.
2. Real world city FE would be 11-13. 16-20 highway.
3. As I mentioned previously, there are no DPF issues as such. I am yet to see a DPF regen light even after 20,000km run.
4. I myself am 5'10", and I don't find it cramped even at the highest seat height which I usually drive at. As for the dead pedal, yes. There isn't one. But there is some space to rest your foot. It's not ideal, but I have driven ~600km in a day, and haven't found it tiring.
5. My ASS experience has been all good. I have serviced at 2 centers here in Pune, and the service has always been good.
6. Niggles: I only had a small one where my spare tyre pressure wasn't showing up in TPMS menu for the first couple of days. However one day it started reporting correctly, and haven't had an issue since. Apart from that I have only had one issue where Apple Carplay would suddenly disconnect, but it's pretty rare. Nothing apart from this.
7. Longevity of the 1.2 petrol: I am sure members in this thread would already have clocked 40-50 thousand KMs in theirs. I'm sure you'd get some feedback on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihir_m13 View Post
Does the GPS system maintain a history (along with date & time) of the routes you've taken - whether you use it or not?
The ecosense menu does keep a history of the last 5 or so trips I believe. The navigation system I'm not sure. I rarely use it.
ashishk29 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 12:45   #1076
BHPian

I want to make my foglamps functional, i.e. put actual yellow light bulbs in them.

What is the specification for that bulb? Anyone having done this before?
Old 5th July 2023, 11:54   #1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Burn View Post
Hi I am planning to upgrade my headlights for my W8 petrol version. I have attached the screenshot shot for the specifications for the lights. Can you tell me which ones are applicable for me as it mentions high versions and low versions.

I drive on low beams and want to upgrade only my projector lights. I am not really a diy person but can I replace the lights myself?

Reviews that I read said it's plug and play. If so how can I access the bulbs?

I was thinking of installing osram led bulbs in the projectors.
==============
Did you manage to find an optimum replacement for the front Projector headlamps?
Old 9th July 2023, 07:09   #1078
BHPian

Changed my wipers.

Installed Bosch Clear Advantage 24/16 pair.

My rear wiper is also about to give up. Can we replace it ourselves? Or does it come in one piece directly from the service center?
ashishk29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 11:35   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_enthu7 View Post
==============
Did you manage to find an optimum replacement for the front Projector headlamps?
Below is what is recommended by Behemoth, an expert in this field.

https://www.uglare.com/product/55w-a...nversion-kits/
Old 1st August 2023, 10:26   #1080
BHPian

My fellow XUV 3OO owners,

Have any one of you shortened your gear shifter? I felt the OEM shifter to be a bit longer since my first test drive, but I tried to manage with it for a while now after I bought my car. Now that the frequency of my driving has increased I am thinking of shortening it a bit (~2-3 inches). If anyone of you has done this mod to your car pls let me know.

I am thinking of buying a spare shifter assembly from boodmo and modify it myself. Any guides or suggestions are welcome.

Do you guys think that I am overdoing it? Have you not felt the shifter is longer and takes more time and throw while shifting? Do let me know...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks