Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2023, 18:06   #1051
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
Incorrect. Swapping the projector halogens with HID does not require the bumper to be removed. You can very well verify this by opening up the bonnet and locating the projector bulb location.

An HID swap for the projectors essentially have only 2 areas of fitment concerns:

1. Ensuring a waterproof, dustproof opening on the headlight dust caps for the wires to enter the projector enclosure. These wires connect the HID bulb to the ballast

2. A secured location for the HID ballast and a proper fitting

Neither of these steps require opening a bumper. But I agree that a high quality workmanship will require 3-4 hrs at least.
Thank you for pin-pointing the problem areas. Would you know of someone who can do this perfectly?
Old 2nd May 2023, 18:56   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Thank you for pin-pointing the problem areas. Would you know of someone who can do this perfectly?
Unfortunately no. I'm actually thinking of doing this as a DIY as opposed to getting someone to do it, because, for everyone else it'll be a job to get done fast.

I had contacted a few on this but it felt like they were trying to push certain bulbs and certain type of conversion (like all low, high and fog into HID etc.) unnecessarily, rather that looking to get a clean job done as per my requirement. They were also not ready with me buying the bulb and them doing only the fitting - most probably because they have some tie up with distributors.

The HID conversion is quite easy and Reinhard's thread on his DIY explains the steps really well. Linking the thread below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...rsion-kit.html (DIY - Tata Nexon XZ+ - Osram 35W HID conversion kit)

Although it is for Nexon, the overall steps applicable for any other car as well. In fact, it is easier on XUV300 because both LHS and RHS bulbs are easily accessible.

Also, Reinhard's DIY talks about a tricky part involving the retaining clips that hold the bulb. While that is true for some of the older conversion kits, new HID conversion kits come with bulb adapter mechanisms that avoids the whole retainer clip issue. So if you get the right HID conversion kit, the entire conversion becomes a near plug-n-play except for the two points that I mentioned on my earlier post.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 2nd May 2023 at 19:15. Reason: Added some more details.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 18:57   #1053

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I am also planning to replace projector halogens with an HID suggested by Behemoth (link:https://www.uglare.com/product/55w-a...nversion-kits/). Spoke to one of the local guys on outer ring road and he said the expense to install HID will be around 4-5K as bumper needs to be taken off and that it will take 3-4 hrs.

Since you have installed HIDs, wanted to ask you of a good place to get these installed from and the time/expenses it will take. Will be happy to catch-up to look at your set-up
Hey Buddy,

There is no need to remove the bumper. It's a straight plug and play by swapping the halogen bulbs to HID units inside the projector. The entire process took less than 15 minutes.

FYI - The bumper cladding inside the wheel well needs to be removed in case you are changing the fog lamps. But even in that case it's not a big work.

I take my car regularly to MW Car detailing and Accessory shop - Whitefield (near hope farm) for such work.
naveenvadakan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 18:29   #1054
BHPian

Went to the service center for the most trivial of things. Had gotten my car serviced a month back because it hit the date limit. But the mileage wasn't there. But now that I have hit the mileage required (20,000km), the car started throwing the service due at every startup.

The service advisor literally just powered off the car, pressed something with the start/stop button, and just like that, the warning chime stopped. It would be good to know that button combination. Could be handy.

While I was there, spotted the sibling 4OO there:

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_0750.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_0751.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review-img_0752.jpg
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 19:39   #1055

Hey guys, if you could spare a little bit of time. I was planning on buying a used xuv300 diesel variant. Would it be a wise decision. The car has run around 60k kms. Its a 2019 model. W4.

What should I look out for as red flags?
Old 15th June 2023, 21:57   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
The service advisor literally just powered off the car, pressed something with the start/stop button, and just like that, the warning chime stopped. It would be good to know that button combination. Could be handy.
When the ignition is off, simply press Set and then Start/Stop button and then leave the Set button after 3 seconds.
Also came across this YT video:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSamurai View Post
Hey guys, if you could spare a little bit of time. I was planning on buying a used xuv300 diesel variant. Would it be a wise decision. The car has run around 60k kms. Its a 2019 model. W4.

What should I look out for as red flags?
You need to provide more details.
Not sure if W4 got AMT on launch. In that case, what Tranny? What condition? Serviced at ASC? Tyre Condition? Major repairs? Price? Regular usage - City or Highways? Extended Warranty status? Zero Dep Insurance?

Build wise, you shouldn't face issues as long as the usage was on Highways and Cities. And don't worry about the Engine as well. But, definitely ask the current owner to get extended warranty if he can before selling.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 22:45   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
When the ignition is off, simply press Set and then Start/Stop button and then leave the Set button after 3 seconds.
Also came across this YT video: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Y5gCk2P-KWs

You need to provide more details.
Not sure if W4 got AMT on launch. In that case, what Tranny? What condition? Serviced at ASC? Tyre Condition? Major repairs? Price? Regular usage - City or Highways? Extended Warranty status? Zero Dep Insurance?

Build wise, you shouldn't face issues as long as the usage was on Highways and Cities. And don't worry about the Engine as well. But, definitely ask the current owner to get extended warranty if he can before selling.
Thank you for the reply.
It’s a manual one. It says serviced at ASC. Price asking is 8L. Rest of the things i have no idea. I didn’t call up the owner since I was not sure if it was a good idea to get a car that has run 60k. since I was not sure about the engine of XUV300.
2xSamurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 08:07   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xSamurai View Post
Thank you for the reply.
I was not sure if it was a good idea to get a car that has run 60k. since I was not sure about the engine of XUV300.
I believe that was a valid point you made there. In 4 years it has run 60K that's indeed some heavy usage. I guess you would get better deals in the market at the 8lac price point. From owning the car I can guarantee that the car is bulletproof. The build, engine, and ride is solid and gives an assurance that it will last 10+ years easily. If you wish to buy the car I will definitely look for the following red flags:

1) Did it have the mandatory service that had to be done at 60k? Becoz if I remember right it's at its half-life it has to undergo some mandatory parts change.
2) Does it have an extended warranty?
3) Where was it extensively used?
4) Have the tires been changed at 40K?
5) Are the service records properly maintained?

This is as far as I can remember now. But if you can check and be sure on this I guess you should be on the safer side. Also, Teambhp has an amazing article that explains what to look for when buying a used car. Do check that out. And If ur looking for buyers you may as well use the team-bhp classified page.

Have a great day mate!
PetroHeado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 10:57   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroHeado View Post
I believe that was a valid point you made there. In 4 years it has run 60K that's indeed some heavy usage. I guess you would get better deals in the market at the 8lac price point. From owning the car I can guarantee that the car is bulletproof. The build, engine, and ride is solid and gives an assurance that it will last 10+ years easily. If you wish to buy the car I will definitely look for the following red flags:

Surely will ask the owner.

I am trying to find a good used car that could be fun to drive for the next 4 to 5 years.
Around 7 to 8 Lakhs max.
I own a Swift VDI 2012 model. Clocked around 1.6Lakhs. Mostly driven by me and my dad. We need 1 more car. I don't have the budget to buy a new one. Also don't want anything that is not below fun to drive than my swift. I am crunching articles by articles on team-bhp for days now. My use case is 50% highways + 50% city. But can't seem to narrow down my options. Used market is not that great either here in Kerala. Sorry for taking this thread off topic.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th June 2023 at 06:21. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 18th June 2023, 18:40   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetroHeado View Post
Hello, Fellow BHPians and XUV300 owners,
The noise in 3rd gear is okay, I think it might be a quirk with 3 cylinders in general. Same thing used to happen in my aunt's Alto 800. I assume that you can hear the noise almost spooling down in unison with the engine if you put your foot on the clutch and let the revs drop. If that's the case, nothing to worry about (same happens on our 3OO).

About the logo, you can't retrofit it onto the boot as the panel for the boot is actually a bit different (raised portion behind the logo)
Name:  Screenshot 20230618 183827.png
Views: 700
Size:  545.8 KB

The logo on the front grill and the wheels should be doable though.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th June 2023 at 06:21. Reason: Quote trimmed, spacing.
Old 19th June 2023, 07:22   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Thank you for taking the time for the detailed reply.

<snipped>

Still confused between petrol AMT vs. Diesel AMT. I will try to push for petrol AMT test drive from the dealer before confirming. <snipped>.
Here I am after 4 months of my previous message, yet to get a test drive of petrol AMT, numerous tries with different dealers and no luck yet. They keep giving some excuse or the other.

Anyways, now I am in a dilemma, should I even go for XUV300, if the response is so lackluster OR should I go with Petrol AMT with a leap of faith?.

Anyone who has taken a test drive of both petrol and diesel AMT can summarize their experience?. For my use case petrol would suffice in terms of usage (city driving mostly, < 1000 kms per month etc and I am not concerned about mileage as usage is less), however the only one thing I am worried is the fun quotient. Is the Diesel AMT more fun to drive or the petrol AMT? Which one has less jerks?.

Just as an FYI, I want only a sub 4m SUV automatic, test drove automatics of Magnite, Kiger, Brezza and did not like them as much as I liked the XUV300. I am ready to live with the AMT.

I am almost on the verge of switching to Kushaq/Tigun AT because of Mahindra's irresponsibility but dont want to take a decision in haste as its more expensive and does not meet my sub 4m requirement,

Thanks for your reply.
Old 21st June 2023, 13:49   #1062
BHPian

Gentlemen,

I have couple of queries for the proud owners, appreciate it if you can clarify the same for me. I am about to buy my first car, and I have shortlisted XUV300 along with Maruti Fronx(though I know it doesn't classify as a C-SUV) and Kia Sonet. As this is our first car, we are not sure on the average running aspects. My requirements are :

1. Proven build quality
2. Competent and punchy engines with smooth drivetrain
3. Good interior space management
4. Good ASS experience(Currently residing at Bengaluru)
5. Long term reliability

For most of the time, the passengers are going to be me and my wife, with our parents being the additional ones during our home state visits. Our journey would generally involve interstate trips, hence majority of the time will be spent on highways with occasional city drives. I love driving, so I hate vehicles with dud engines. I am a sucker for turbo diesels, mainly for the addictive turbo surge and the excellent drivability / efficiency ratio it offers, however the future of diesel vehicles, DPF issues and the NGT threat looms in my mind as I plan to hold on to the car for next 8-10 years.

Which brings me to my queries if at all I'm going for the XUV300 :

1. As this is our first car, should I settle down with a petrol instead of the diesel?
2. In the scenario that I'm going for the petrol variant, what is the real world mileage I can expect?
3. In the scenario that I'm going for the diesel, should I be worried about the DPF issues in this car? I have been diligently reading members' posts to avoid the same, but I would like to hear it from you all still.
4. Have you felt the footwell area to be cramped especially around the clutch? I'm 5'10" and I recently took a test drive of the 1.2 manual Petrol car and I found little to no space to rest my left foot thanks to the absence of a dead pedal.
5. ASS experience. I know it's a hit or miss, but I guess its better than Tata.
6. Any de-facto niggles I should be worried about?
7. Longevity of the 1.2 Petrol engine. I know Mahindra have a proven track record when it comes to diesel engines, but not so sure on the petrol engines.

Regards,
SS
Old 21st June 2023, 14:54   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Sonet is the best overall vehicle in that segment.

I think you should test drive the Sonet DCT, XUV3OO petrol turbo sport if you are into MT as well as the Venue N line DCT if you are okay with automatic. Fronx will be a lot more affordable than all those vehicles but practicality wise it will be more like a hatchback than a sub compact SUV, like the seating position and boot space etc, so keep that as an option if budget constraints are there, otherwise go with the above options first.

XUV3OO is a bigger vehicle that has been shrunk to fit the segment, so it is the largest vehicle of the lot and drives very well, very confident at high speeds.

I`d go with mStallion that is in TurboSport version or Hyundai \ KIA`s GDi in terms of punchy petrol engines.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 19:52   #1064
BHPian

I've been looking for a 2nd car. I currently drive a Ameo Diesel DSG.
I may have to start travelling to Mumbai for my office and hence need a 2nd car for my parents.
My dad is retired & engages in land dealing. Mom is working and has slight issues with her knees and doesn't like the low sitting & short space of Ameo at all.
So when we started looking out, I was really considering MS Fronx turbo. Decent seating height & ground clearance, MS reliability and perfectly good for city usage. But then the prices were announced and I instantly shifted focus to Baleno 1.2 Alpha. While the reliability aspect remains, the GC & seating height isn't favourable.
I also looked at Brezza ZXi and liked the seating position. The knee-room is less, but shoulder room is good & back contouring is good for 3 people (we are a family of 5). However, no dealership in my town has the AT for test drive & the waiting period claimed is 6 months. That's too long and I can't book the car without test drive.

In the middle of all this, I came across a 2020 XUV300 with 11.5k on the ODO. It's a W6 Diesel AMT variant. The quoted price is 11.25L and I'm sure it can be negotiated to some extent. Test drove the car and found no issues with it at all. Since it's from 2020, it comes with the normal touch screen display and no sunroof. The only redflag was that a rear camera was installed on the car, integrated into IRVM (indicating it's after-market). I will need to check it's service history & will also get it reviewed from Mahindra dealership in the town.

Now I'm confused if I should buy the new Baleno Alpha/Fronx Delta+ AMT, or go with this XUV300. Both cost me between 11-12L. Maruti scores on reliability, piece of mind and new car advantages (resale, better interior, feature); while Mahindra is safer, has more space for 5, is leagues ahead in driving pleasure.

It will be used by my parents and hence I don't want a car that might pop up issues every now & then. But then, in the rare occasions when it's used on highways, safety comes into play too. The facelifted XUV coming next year is also making me question if this is the best time to buy this car. What do you guys think?
Old 21st June 2023, 21:07   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post

As a reference guide, use the below YouTube video.
@krishankumar, that was an excellent video. It took a while for me to go through this whole thing, but it explains some questions that I had.
I am only worried about the side airbags. Have never dealt with those and don't want to mess up with a safety feature. I will probably get SC help to tuck the wires in. And do the hardwiring myself.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks