Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 23:43   #2176

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by subinmanaladil View Post
I tried out both 32 psi and 40 psi(after reading your post) on my Kia Seltos htx diesel with goodyear assuarance oem tyres - terrible tyres for ride quality.

32 psi feels plush without loosing way too much driving dynamics or mileage in city and straight roads usage.

But, 40 psi is the magic number for this car. I tried this after readig your post way back(wasnt a member then, registered only beause this topic needs more attention)

Difference between 35 psi and 32/40 psi is evident.

But the real difference is felt in the rear seat on hilly roads like Idukki.(western ghats)

35 psi is stiff - you can feel most small undulations,clutch release action is jerky, rear seats feel like they are lifting off over large undulations at speeds of 80

32 psi - very plush,not much difference in mileage or
performance/handling(there is a decrease but its not that bad). HOWEVER, when you dive through twisted hilly roads you will notice that the backseat feels like everything is gettig tossed into the air. Feels like a boat, makes you nauseous. 35 psi does the same and you can hear rear suspension thuds( as if the whole rear la ded from the ky). This aspect is more prounounced at 32 psi.

40 psi - I have no idea why or how but 40 psi makes the suspension cushioned/compliant, improves dynamics, improves mileage(small improvement).
People sitting in the backseat are a lt more relaxed andctually fall asleep instead of geti nauseated. The rear suspension thud as car goes over twists and lage undulations is completely gone. Clutch release action is vey smooth. Only thig is that tyres make more noise over small potholes and you will get a psyhologialjmpression of stiffness but thats just beause of the noise.
My best guess is that 40 psi matches well with the suspension tuning to create a better ride.

I registered just to give feedback on this. Infact, ride quality on seltos is so noticeably bad at 35 psi that this topic deserves its own thread.
Have tested these tyre pressures through ~ 6000 km
UPDATE : I have been using 40 psi. Low running, only covered 20k km in 2 years due to the pandemic.

Post 20k km running, suspension has become considerably softer. I dont know how to explain it but there is no more bone jarring stiffness at any psi. Rides great at Both 40 and 35 psi.

So, using 35 psi now since the excessive stiffness is gone.

On another note, got the steering motor unit replced under warranty after inspection by service personel when i requested an early wheel alignment - it was considerably off. I was informed that they had a recall program going for the steering motor unit.
subinmanaladil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 10:01   #2177
BHPian

Hi. I am giving my htk+ for 2nd year service. I find the wheel alignment to be slightly off. Should I get wheel alignment done at Kia service center or get it done outside? There is a MRF wheel balancing and alignment showroom right next to my shop. I am sure they would do a good job but I have read in this thread that KIA uses some special equipment for wheel alignment. I am not sure but I read something of that sort. A quick reply would be helpful as I am giving my seltos for servicing today.
Old 15th January 2022, 10:57   #2178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Hi. I am giving my htk+ for 2nd year service. I find the wheel alignment to be slightly off. Should I get wheel alignment done at Kia service center or get it done outside? There is a MRF wheel balancing and alignment showroom right next to my shop. I am sure they would do a good job but I have read in this thread that KIA uses some special equipment for wheel alignment. I am not sure but I read something of that sort. A quick reply would be helpful as I am giving my seltos for servicing today.
I have been doing my alignment at the Kia service centres (two different ones across cities) for the past 6 services. For the last service, I found their alignment to be very slightly off even though they double checked and confirmed that their readings are correct. I guess their machine calibration is off mark.

If you trust the guy next door, get it done there instead of paying premium price for it at the service center.

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th January 2022 at 11:03.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 22:50   #2179
BHPian

Sonet Diesel AT vs Seltos DCT

Those who have driven both Sonet Diesel AT and Seltos Petrol DCT - Which one is more fun to drive? And which one has better roadholding?

I've test driven both. I kind of liked them both equally, but it is quite difficult to judge based on just couple of test drives (E.g. The TD vehicles had over-inflated tyres).
Old 16th January 2022, 09:39   #2180
BHPian

Re: Sonet Diesel AT vs Seltos DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphique View Post
Those who have driven both Sonet Diesel AT and Seltos Petrol DCT - Which one is more fun to drive? And which one has better roadholding?

I've test driven both. I kind of liked them both equally, but it is quite difficult to judge based on just couple of test drives (E.g. The TD vehicles had over-inflated tyres).
From what I read, please correct me if I am wrong. You are comparing a sonet to a seltos? I would recommend that first you need to decide which segment are you more leaning towards - compact suv or mid size suv. Because seltos and sonet there is a huge difference in size and riding dynamics due to multiple logical reasons like weight, length, suspensions, aerodynamics and so on.

Now the second question is petrol or diesel in automatic. Sonet if you buy AT diesel you are getting the same engine as seltos 1.5 AT diesel, so in a smaller car with 1.5 you would definelty get a more punchier and torque ride. From what I know sonet's turbo petrol engine is 1 litre.

In a seltos there are two options for petrol, the naturally aspired automatic is strictly for people who are not looking at high performance. The 1.4 turbo petrol engine is a no brainer in performance as it will give you a kick and a high while driving ( the torgue is almost similar to diesel). Only thing is don't expect mileage of even 10 in city for turbo petrol, prepare your mind for that before buying, that it is a mile muncher.

Now coming to diesel AT version in seltos either htk or gtx+ variant has same engine, but difference of huge list of features and tyre size. Diesel gives you a great pull, is more torque and with paddle shifters and sports mode it can give you a thrilling experience too. In general, it is percieved that for suv it is always better to go for diesel hence the bigger cars like Harrier don't even offer petrol options. If your daily use and overall usage will be commendable then diesel option gives you a mileage which is very pocket friendly.

So hope have given some clarity to your questions, but my first recommendation would be decide the car size that you want, then see whether petrol or diesel. Test drive both options back to back a couple of times and then take an informed decision.

Cheers!
Old 17th January 2022, 19:49   #2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
I may be wrong but, I've noticed a weird ergonomical issue in the Seltos. While seated in the driver's seat, my shin seemed to touch the lower part of the dashboard and it made me feel quite uncomfortable while driving. Is it an issue with my seating as I had the under thigh support of the 8 way electrically adjustable seat all the way up as I liked it that way and I tend to sit quite close to the steering wheel and low. I didn't experiment too much with the seating though as I was running out of time. Requesting your opinions. Thanks.
I can completely relate to it, I find it difficult to find the right seating position in Seltos (In the past gen Creta, I find it to be extremely easy to find the right driving position). When I keep the view perfect, I face the problem of shin touching the lower part of the dashboard

When I move further back, it is affecting the view and strains my hands a bit on long drives and to add, the view on the instrumentation cluster (especially the odo) is cut off by the steering wheel.

The current comfortable (with fair balance of comfort and view) position I am using is
1. Height of the seat - full down
2. Seat pushed back to a position where my eyes are just ahead of the B Pillar
3. Steering pulled towards me till my hands are in resting position while holding the steering instead of stretching

P.S: I am 6'1
Old 18th January 2022, 08:41   #2182
BHPian

Does Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT 2021 have Sports mode? As per the brochure, it seems not.
Old 18th January 2022, 09:02   #2183

Quote:
Does Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT 2021 have Sports mode? As per the brochure, it seems not.
As per my understanding, the HTK+ variant does not have multi drive modes. Only the GTX+ and X-Line variants comes with one that too in AT/DCT transmission variant only.
Old 18th January 2022, 09:43   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator_ravi View Post
As per my understanding, the HTK+ variant does not have multi drive modes. Only the GTX+ and X-Line variants comes with one that too in AT/DCT transmission variant only.
Thanks.

I wonder if the full potential of the engine is available to use in HTK+ Diesel AT if there's no Sports mode. Can owners confirm please?
Old 18th January 2022, 11:16   #2185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

I wonder if the full potential of the engine is available to use in HTK+ Diesel AT if there's no Sports mode. Can owners confirm please?
Yes, in lay-man terms, the engine is always in Sports mode. In higher variants which have a drive mode selector, user can choose to reduce the engine output/slow the gearbox shift times by selecting Eco or Normal modes.

Last edited by ashis89 : 18th January 2022 at 11:20.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:28   #2186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have the same model bought in Oct2021. While there is no sports mode explicitly mentioned, if you move the gear stick to the right which is usually the manual mode, it displays S in the cluster. So i am thinking it is Sports mode!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 15:53   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
...I wonder if the full potential of the engine is available to use in HTK+ Diesel AT if there's no Sports mode. Can owners confirm please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Yes, in lay-man terms, the engine is always in Sports mode. In higher variants which have a drive mode selector, user can choose to reduce the engine output/slow the gearbox shift times by selecting Eco or Normal modes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Have the same model bought in Oct2021. While there is no sports mode explicitly mentioned, if you move the gear stick to the right which is usually the manual mode, it displays S in the cluster. So i am thinking it is Sports mode!

Not really. I have driven the HTK diesel AT and manual and also have a diesel GTX+ AT.
  • The Sports mode, selected through the rotary knob on the centre console, causes the gearbox to hold on higher revs before changing to the next higher gear, during normal acceleration. The acceleration also seems to be be crisper. This is very distinctly felt.
  • Whereas the Sports Mode is very effective for highway (or even hilly areas uphill as well as downhill) driving, it's not so good for slow city or even bumper-to-bumper traffic, where the 'box holding higher revs when moving at a steady intermediate speed is a bit pointless and sometimes irritating (in Normal mode, the 'box shifts up earlier for that same speed and engine revs are held down).
  • The GTX+ AT also has the S mode. However, moving the mode selector lever to S (towards the right), does not evoke a similar response from the engine-gear box as the Sports Mode. It is just effectively a 'triptronic' mode - manual shifting by moving the mode lever back and forth- which is rather pointless since the paddle shifts are far more convenient and quicker to reach.
  • Normal mode is best suited for slow city traffic and bumper-to-bumper.
  • I did try Eco mode a few times - but the response is distinctly dull with a light foot and I do not use it often.
  • The combo of Sports mode with paddle shifting is easily the best for highway and long distance driving.
  • Kickdowns - a milder kickdown in Sports mode evokes the same response as a firm kickdown in Normal mode

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 18th January 2022 at 15:56.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 23:16   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
[*]The Sports mode, selected through the rotary knob on the centre console, causes the gearbox to hold on higher revs before changing to the next higher gear, during normal acceleration. The acceleration also seems to be be crisper. This is very distinctly felt.
Totally agree and apart from this, the steering feedback completely changes. Feels more on the heavier side and you suddenly feel, "Wow! Now I am driving a totally different car." I have enjoyed the sports mode a lot on longer trips and truly cherish it in the Seltos GTX+ variant. I have tried sports mode in the new German twins during TDs. They were good but not at the same high level as the Korean twins.

Quote:
The GTX+ AT also has the S mode. However, moving the mode selector lever to S (towards the right), does not evoke a similar response from the engine-gear box as the Sports Mode. It is just effectively a 'triptronic' mode - manual shifting by moving the mode lever back and forth- which is rather pointless since the paddle shifts are far more convenient and quicker to reach.
Here I have a little different view. While S Mode is a triptonic mode and the main function is either manual mode by shifting the gear knob back and forth or by using the paddle shifters without disengaging, I feel this mode, when driven even like an automatic, has some extra punch. It does not change steering feedback or hold the gears longer, but I have observed change in power output. So, I do land up using this S mode on 2 lane highways or similar roads for that extra punch.

Quote:
I did try Eco mode a few times - but the response is distinctly dull with a light foot and I do not use it often.
True. Found this eco mode useless and it does not make any difference in mileage numbers. Best to stick to normal mode or sport!

Quote:
The combo of Sports mode with paddle shifting is easily the best for highway and long distance driving.
Paddle shifters are a charm to use not just for quick overtakes, but I also use them extensively for engine braking on descents. I feel they just add thrill to your entire driving experience.

Quote:
Thanks.

HTK+ diesel AT has the exact same 1.5 litre engine as the GTX+. So in normal mode, there is no difference at all.

For sport mode utility, I would suggest trying the S mode (triptonic mode) in HTK+ Diesel and then also try both S and Sport Mode in GTX+ diesel along with testing paddle shifter usage. If you take test drives of both variants back to back and feel satisfied with HTK+ where you feel you don't need paddle shifters and multi drive modes, you can think about going for it. GTX+ does have a myriad of features but the main criteria should always be driving dynamics. So accordingly, you can take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I do feel this is a hidden feature and the sales guys hide it or deny it to upsell GTX+ variant. I had asked this same question to my Kia dealer and he straight away said no. Question is, do you feel any change in power output after engaging the S mode in your HTK+?

Last edited by Aditya : 20th January 2022 at 19:01. Reason: Typos, grammar
WheelJack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 15:16   #2189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelJack View Post
.. apart from this the steering feedback completly changes, feels more on the heavier side ... I have enjoyed the sports mode a lot on longer trips and truely cherish it in seltos gtx+ ...

Paddle shifters are a charm to use not just for quick overtakes, but also I use them extensively for engine braking on descents...
Totally agree with you on both points. I had forgot to mention the heavier steering - which a good thing to have at high speeds and adds to the apparent stability of the vehicle. The paddle shifts are indeed also very useful for engine braking downhill.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 16:30   #2190

Hello,

Was going through your review of the dieseltronic, i have done 25k on my diesel seltos and about to install the dual channel, whats your take on it now and any things to keep in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Finished my 30k km service but surprised to hear my SA tell me that the clutch might need changing. It is a bit hard but gear shifts are still easy. Single driven only by me, 70% peak city driving.

Anyone else faced this?

I pushed it to the next 10k service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks