Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2021, 10:29   #1831
BHPian

Re: Kia Seltos : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvv View Post
Kia is giving deliveries in just 2 weeks. I made my booking on 25th May and the car is already delivered to Dealer (Manf Date: 12 Jun 2021). I will do the PDI tomorrow and try to take the delivery on Tuesday if possible.
Great, congratulations.
Which model you opted for?
Old 20th June 2021, 12:47   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Great, congratulations.
Which model you opted for?

I have booked the HTE model. Initially the SA quoted a wait time of 18-19 weeks and in just 2 weeks let me know that the car has been allotted and billed by Kia. In 3 days it arrived at the dealer's stockyard
Old 20th June 2021, 12:52   #1833
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulvv View Post
I have booked the HTE model. Initially the SA quoted a wait time of 18-19 weeks and in just 2 weeks let me know that the car has been allotted and billed by Kia. In 3 days it arrived at the dealer's stockyard
Is it the Petrol variant?
Old 21st June 2021, 13:51   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
This is scary, I'm getting delivery this weekend and this news is not at all comforting. Really reconsidering my decision, if I should cancel the booking.
Not sure if you got the car... but the concern is absolutely valid. if the "herd" is buying unsafe cars, doesn't mean I/you have to do the same. If you'd ask me, I'd not go for a vehicle low on safety. The safety features are there for a reason, and they'd do their job on your worst day; the safety features may tilt things in your favour on that day.

Is Kia Seltos an absolute unsafe car? It isn't. It got 3 on safety rating which is kinda average (Australia-spec Seltos has received a full five stars in the GNCAP safety test). I read this article too - https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...opinion/40340/
It seems the Indian variant is severely compromised on body stability and that is HUGE concern for me. Given a choice, I'd stay away from Kia.
streetfighter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 16:18   #1835
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Am getting a Dieseltronics tuning box installed today in my Kia Seltos (Diesel)

Will post an update with photos later.
How is the experience with tuning box ? I am considering getting one since no one is able to remap the 1.5l Diesel engine.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 13:41   #1836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
How is the experience with tuning box ? I am considering getting one since no one is able to remap the 1.5l Diesel engine.
Absolutely brilliant. Strongly recommend it from a driving perspective.

My experience and usage is as follows, the box has 4 modes.

Economy, Stock, Power 1, Power 2.

I never use Economy or stock, it alters the fuel / air mix to such an extent that it is sluggish as hell. Power delivery is linear but you are constantly shuffling gears in traffic conditions.

Stock - No point, so never use it. If I wanted stock, I would have not had the box installed

P1 - 70% of my drives are done in this. There is a discernible bump in power (the makers claim 15% with about 10% translating on wheel). The torquey nature of the engine gets upped a notch, I can drive around in 3rd gear all day long even in peak Chennai traffic

P2 - The makers claim a whopping 25% with 15-18% on wheel bump, but compared to P1 and much more so the Stock, there is a massive jump in power, I use this only in highways.

Mileage benefit -

I drive 12 kms in peak (pre Covid) city traffic one way daily to work. From Nov 19 - March 20 - Pre tuning box, I used to get about 14-15kmpl @ an average speed of 22 kmph.

P1 - admittedly I haven't driven it in the pre covid type peak conditions but it gives me 18-20 kmpl @ average speeds of about 28-30 kmph.

P2 - In city driving, I get stock level mileage and anyway that power is not needed, but a steady cruise at 90-100 kmph (am a sedate driver 90% of the time) gives me about 21-22kmpl.

Coincidentally I was curious about the mileage performance post COVID so just last week I drove 3 days to work without activating the box and I got the same 14-15kmpl. With the box it was back to 18-20kmpl so the box definitely helps with mileage.

With regards to service, I got it installed just after my 10k service, and 2 months ago gave it for the 20k service, the Gm service in this company is my friend and I openly asked him if I should remove it before giving it for service and he said as it is not a remap and only a box AND if I am not raising any complaints about engine performance, I could leave it be and it won't matter.

That being said it is a clip on / clip off so with about 5 minutes of effort it can be removed and installed by anyone.

Cons -

Some minor cons do exist,

1) I used to engine detail (personally), but the mechanic told me never to get water on it directly, so I can't use a gentle spray of water on the engine bay (never pressurized sprays), so my once in 6 months engine bay detailing is now painstakingly manual. but I personally love detailing so your mileage may vary

2) On occasion (like maybe once every 2,000-2,500 kms) I find that in third gear there is a subtle loss of power, it rights itself within a minute or so and is not major but it is there.

Overall PURELY based in my personal experience and capacity, I would recommend it and give it a 10/10.

But remember always your mileage may vary so please do your own due diligence and research before you take the jump.
Stribog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:14   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely brilliant. Strongly recommend it from a driving perspective.

My experience and usage is as follows, the box has 4 modes.

Economy, Stock, Power 1, Power 2.
Is the box compatible with Diesel automatic gear box as well? Thanks
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 03:09   #1838

This is slightly off topic. I am facing a weird issue with my Kia Seltos 1.5 NA Petrol manual. Clutch becomes 70% free on driving continuously for 200KM-250KM. It has happened twice. Car is 20,000 KM Driven. Service center is unable to diagnose the issue. They do the clutch bleeding and things get normal.
I am scared of taking it long distance where Kia Authorized service centers are non existent.
mttraveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 11:08   #1839
K2K

That's great. Indian roads are getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Yes! Here is the official speed limit on the east-bound old NH-6 (New NH-49, Mumbai - Kolkata Highway) in West Bengal, heading towards Kharagpur from Jharkhand state border. Admittedly, there are only few stretches where I have seen official speed limit of 100 kmph. The photo is a screen-grab from my dashcam footage from last year.

Speed limit of 100 kmph on NH-49 (Mumbai - Kolkata Highway) between Baharagora & Kharagpur
Attachment 2168719

Cheers,
K2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 11:33   #1840
K2K

Agree with the finer points.

The car is the most important link in the chain of ensuring road (and passenger) safety. And this also follows the "better mousetrap" paradigm, so every company needs to strike a balance between cost, mileage, safety etc. The govt. comes up with new BS requirements because it's manufacturers headache to comply, and no effort from govt is needed. The safety standards are lax because it would need better infrastructure from the govt. too, else the manufacturers will peddle the kind of argument I did.

It's important for us as drivers to realize the limitations of machines and the environment around us. And I would put more stress on improvements by the government on infra rather than the manufacturers. There are a plethora of active safety features which are just useless in India due to the condition of our roads.

Infact we probably need new technology specifically for India like potholes detection and warning I actualy scoured the net for any image processing or lidar based road mapping software which may warn of potholes and unpainted humps.

Cheers
K2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
In an accident what matters is the relative speed. If two cars driving at 80 kmph in opposite directions collide, the relative speed is 160 kmph. So Indian cars should be design for 160 kmph ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
This logic is fine in one perspective. However, we need to remember - that accidents can happen to people at 0 KMPH also. All it takes - is for SOMEONE ELSE to drive at high speed, lose control & hit a stationary vehicle. Remember the Polo GTI driver jumping off a fly-over and causing death of pedestrians below who probably never even knew what hit them? They weren't even in a car, but were in a fatal accident still. So while its fair to say "The car meets the standards defined by the authorities" (which MSIL has been doing since decades now) - it doesn't necessary mean the car is safe if the driver is a good safe and slow driver.

I am no expert and I have no opinion about what happened to the car. Its possible to happen with any car in the right combination of physical stresses. Just adding a perspective that adhering to speed limits doesn't guarantee safety and car design should not be made with a speed limit of 80 KMPH being the threshold.
K2K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 23:27   #1841
BHPian

Got our Seltos HTX petrol Manual, overall delivery process was not great at all, they have cars but won't give to you. Anyhow, will share the experience soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Seltos : Official Review-20210622_164433.jpg  

Kia Seltos : Official Review-img20210622wa0006.jpg  

raviacc2825 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 22:14   #1842
BHPian

Folks, has anyone been able to buy a cargo/luggage net that fits the Seltos? I was assuming Kia would sell this as an accessory but they don't, surprisingly. No luck on amazon/flipkart either.
Old 29th June 2021, 23:13   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
P1 - 70% of my drives are done in this. There is a discernible bump in power (the makers claim 15% with about 10% translating on wheel). The torquey nature of the engine gets upped a notch, I can drive around in 3rd gear all day long even in peak Chennai traffic.

P2 - The makers claim a whopping 25% with 15-18% on wheel bump, but compared to P1 and much more so the Stock, there is a massive jump in power, I use this only in highways.
Decent gains. Is it a single or dual channel box ?

Quote:
Coincidentally I was curious about the mileage performance post COVID so just last week I drove 3 days to work without activating the box and I got the same 14-15kmpl. With the box it was back to 18-20kmpl so the box definitely helps with mileage.
Did you check using tankfull method ? Tuning box works by fooling the ECU to inject more fuel and the FE reading from MID is not reliable.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 17:23   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Decent gains. Is it a single or dual channel box ?

Did you check using tankfull method ? Tuning box works by fooling the ECU to inject more fuel and the FE reading from MID is not reliable.
Dual channel. They claim to tailor it to each engine (car that is), but not sure how true this is.

Have done the tankful method too and the fe gains are about 10-12% more. So yes maybe the Mid figures are misleading.

And more than the power bump its just how linear it is, makes city driving in P1 an absolute dream.
Stribog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 11:05   #1845
BHPian

Was wondering if anyone here could confirm if the 2021 GTX+ (7DCT) comes with Android Auto, and if it supports wireless Android Auto also?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks