Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 21:52   #601
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post

And on another note, I am about to book the Thar and confused between Diesel MT and AT.

Was initially contemplating Petrol MT but thats only a 50k difference with a Diesel MT, which I feel can be managed.
I would go for the diesel AT. But it's beyond my budget. So settling for the diesel MT. Petrol out of the question.

The hard top and roof rack is probably a wait and watch thingy.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th October 2020 at 22:05. Reason: Please quote only the *relevant* bits of a post. Thank You.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 21:59   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The suspension parts, discs..!!?

PS: Sorry, didn't mean to spoil the party by sharing a video too. But like said in above post - got to see the airbags are "checked" and build quality too probably.
No need to be sorry mate. Like they say, all it takes is one nut behind the wheel to scatter all the parts on the road.

Looking at the video, the front-right has taken it bad, and the entire wheel assembly collapsed - nothing unusual or wrong about that in itself, we can only get deep if we know the answers to how, what, etc.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 22:19   #603
Senior - BHPian

The dealer lived up to the words and got the car home for the TD. A Black manual LX Diesel hard top. My wife drove for about 6 km and was super happy , though it did take a while for her to adjust to the manual transmission.

I drove for about 7 km too, a combination of good and bad roads. We simply loved it. Nothing specific as observations beyond what’s already written here, except one - I felt that there is a bit of a stretch to the arms to reach the IRVM.

The TD was done around 830 pm. We could test the lights. Lux is good , the throws are adequate.

We didn’t have time to take pictures in leisure given they had to rush the car back. We did capture some shots on the phone.

The black at Night looks fab.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-dd091d99216f4c07adcc7af91aaf15df.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-3e5e369ae5ac4757929e188cf20fa50b.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar Review : First Drive-8f53f8466deb4fe6b663f385ea20b00b.jpeg  

jkrishnakj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 22:53   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Scared to see some parts getting loaded into the boot at 1:40 onwards.
The suspension parts, discs..!!?

PS: Sorry, didn't mean to spoil the party by sharing a video too. But like said in above post - got to see the airbags are "checked" and build quality too probably.
Did he jump from a Cliff?
The venue suggests that. Also, it seems like they are using axe and others suggesting they might be cutting branches to recover the parts.

Such a costly mistake.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 23:41   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I would go for the diesel AT....
I am also inclined towards the Diesel AT, heart will never allow to save any money I guess. Banks to rescue Lets see how the TD goes hopefully on Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The dealer lived up to the words and got the car home for the TD.

The black at Night looks fab.
That's some commitment by the dealer and here I am calling dealers since a week and I am yet to get confirmation on TD appointment on Friday. By the way, which dealer was that?

And indeed the Black Thar looks fab, specially in the night.
Old 7th October 2020, 23:55   #606
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I would go for the diesel AT. But it's beyond my budget. So settling for the diesel MT.
Quote:
I am also inclined towards the Diesel AT
Anyways you are spending 15 lakhs on a big boy's toy - might as well spend an additional 1 lakh and make it count. EMI difference won't be all that significant?

The investment may fetch returns when selling / when helping to retain the Thar for a couple more years.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 00:52   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

And now one of Thar on test drive breaks down and refuses to start.

Seems the philosophy of "Best is to wait it first few months and not be the Guinea pig" still holds good for Tata and Mahindra.
AtheK is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 01:00   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post

Seems the philosophy of "Best is to wait it first few months and not be the Guinea pig" still holds good for Tata and Mahindra.

Now I understood why GTO chose to wait for 2021 or 2022 Thar.

He also recommended the same for Harrier V1 last year in his review.

The above issue on Thar might be a minor one, but it would leave a bad impression for owner on the car and brand if he faces this kind of a breakdown in his initial days of ownership after spending close to 16 big ones for an unconventional / lifestyle vehicle.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 06:47   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

And on another note, I am about to book the Thar and confused between Diesel MT and AT.
MT will save me a lakh rupees which can be used for potential mods where I feel I can overcome some issues to make it even more liveable. Also slightly better tank range to AT (not sure by how much)..
I would definitely recommend Diesel AT. Among all other cars in this segment and even the lower segments, the price difference, when it comes to the Delta between the manual and the AT, is lowest in the Thar Diesel - it is only 75K. The LX Diesel MT hardtop is 12.99 while the Diesel AT is 13.75.

The pricing strategy encourages people to go for either petrol MT or Diesel AT. Petrol AT is priced 1.06 lakhs above Petrol MT, a much larger difference as compared to the Diesel range. Similarly a Diesel MT is priced 50K over the Petrol MT. while the difference between the two is only 20K in the AX range.

For comparison the premium charged for an automatic transmission is much higher across other cars and manufacturers, even though many do not even give proper torque converter automatics. In the case of the Skoda Rapid Rider TSI, the premium is 1.4 lakhs. The same difference in the case of the Diesel Creta SX, these two are TC examples. Nissan Kicks is 1.5 lakhs more than the manual though it is a cheaper CVT and not a TC. The premium that Renault charges for the CVT over equivalent manual is even higher in the Duster, at 1.6 lakhs
84.monsoon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 09:07   #610
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And don't miss this post where a reviewer & BHPian Zahoor23 spotted so many lights & errors. I reiterate, buy the 2020 Thar only if you are mentally prepared to be part of Mahindra's beta testing team.

Of course, all the BHPians who are going ahead anyway = God bless you & thank you for clearing the way for those of us waiting for the 2021-22 Thars. If you ever come to a Sunnys Dhaba meet, your food is on me .
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 09:36   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...all the BHPians who are going ahead anyway = God bless you & thank you for clearing the way for those of us waiting for the 2021-22 Thars. If you ever come to a Sunnys Dhaba meet, your food is on me .
I just might take you up on that

Like I said elsewhere, I'm fairly confident after the XUV3OO and Marazzo launches - swift fix seems to be the order of the day. And continuous price increases every 3 to 6 months too!

About the warning lights - the part-time 4x4 in the Thar shouldn't be used in tarmac. If it was used, there is no safety net like full-time AWD cars (like a limited slip differential), ensuring permanent damage to the transfer case/ locking differentials, etc. I'm told by the mechanics here that that's what should have happened, and they too experienced it in one of the TD cars (which needed repairs).

Those who are picking a Thar and are not 4x4 savvy should definitely read the user manual thoroughly, do their research, talk to our good folks in the 4x4 section, etc. if they want to avoid a fat repair bill!

Someone shared this nice educational video in the other Thar 2020 thread, good watch for starters -

Last edited by ph03n!x : 8th October 2020 at 09:39.
ph03n!x is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 10:23   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

From a better half`s perspective.

My Wife happened to take a test drive of the new Thar , the showroom was next to her workplace so they managed to skip the 'Queue' for test drive - yep, there was a big waiting list.

According to her the vehicle felt smooth, comfortable and more powerful in comparison to the older one. The exterior looked bigger however the interior felt less spacious. The all black interior makes it less airy inside. The dashboard felt very big (lower seats perhaps). The gear shift had a collar to shift into reverse like XUV.

To sum it all up, it felt more like a Scorpio than a Thar according to her.

I guess that is probably what majority of Thar CRDe buyer were trying to do, making the vehicle more liveable and more modern looking - now all that comes from the factory, I guess the appeal of the vehicle then is understandable.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 10:59   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also inclined towards the Diesel AT, heart will never allow to save any money I guess. Banks to rescue Lets see how the TD goes hopefully on Friday.

That's some commitment by the dealer and here I am calling dealers since a week and I am yet to get confirmation on TD appointment on Friday. By the way, which dealer was that?

And indeed the Black Thar looks fab, specially in the night.
Its Anant motors, BG Road. What they are doing is to ensure that everyone who booked is getting a TD, regardless of time, so long as the people wanting the TD are comfortable with the time.

For me, i went in, booked the one i wanted ( LX, Diesel, HT, AT ) and that's when the SA told me to not wait in the Q for the TD and he will get it home. I brushed it aside thinking its the typical sales man talk, but , they did honour it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th October 2020 at 12:08. Reason: edited
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:32   #614
BHPian

Quote:
One question, does the warranty get void if I put a roof rack?

I guess the warranty for the hard top alone would get void, So if you face any water seepage/leaks Mahindra would not be responsible for it. But please do check with your SA at the dealership.

I was initially very confused as well. I put a token amount 2 months ago and I've switched between MT and AT 3 times now I had thought MT would be more suited for off-roading and all the bashing I'd dreamt about doing. But realistically speaking the Thar is going to be a daily driver for me for college and will see off-road barely in the weekends or once a month. So it's a sensible choice for me to go with AT. Looks like it will be more suited for you too as you mentioned it'll be driven in the traffic a lot. The 4x4 AT with low range gearbox is a deal to not miss for just another 85k. Stretch your budget and go with it, You'll be happy in the long run.

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/tWizaxAISjA

I was the first customer to test drive this particular Thar and this car is from my local dealership. I was the first one to book the Thar too in our city back in 13th of August, So after seeing this video surface on FaceBook I was worried and immediately called the dealership. This issue had been rectified in the next 2 hours it seems and was told it was some kind of a starter issue and I was also told rest be assured not to worry. I'm definitely going to be taking the extended warranty aka Shield 11 as they called it which covers 5 years or 1,50,000 kms and I would suggest every early Thar buyer to opt for it.
harish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 12:19   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The dealer lived up to the words and got the car home for the TD. A Black manual LX Diesel hard top. My wife drove for about 6 km and was super happy , though it did take a while for her to adjust to the manual transmission.
Why not go for the AT, if the lady of the house would be the primary driver? Much more convenient in city traffic, any day!

Black is the best color for this beast, in my opinion.

PS - looks like some over-enthusiastic TD-er banged the front bumper.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed